• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense? In a way. Funny? Absolutely. If this happened in real life, obviosuly it's not funny. Thankfully, it's a video game and complete fiction. Let's remove everything else that might offend people while we're at it. It's fucking lame.
Regardless of everything else, it violates series canon of Kiryu never having a sexual encounter. It obviously had to go. So even if you think "it's the right thing to do" isn't good enough reason to remove it, add that to the list.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So you don't like my opinion so you're only answer is to want me banned. That's one of the problems with modern society. I'm entitled to my view.

I'mma be blunt here: rape isn't funny. Period. Using rape jokes to perpetuate tired, transphobic and homophobic stereotypes about the LGBT community is unquestionably offensive, and Nagoshi realizing that and working to improve his games in the remaster should be commended.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the real actor, the fact that he had to retire for something like that. I'm still salty about Hideki Taniuchi.
There are some dumb reasons in the japanese industry for never getting a job again like smoking pot. My favorite composer got done in by that but the latest Kaiji related series featured his music so i don't know what's up with that. There is social unrest and change happening there too and people who just don't know the language just make up myths to make it seem like no one there cares when that is simply false.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
guys, he knows what he's doing and isn't arguing in good faith. Disengage.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
The original still exists. If you want to see this content, go find it or pull it up on YouTube.

But there is no need to include it now.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
The fact that Michiru rapes Kiryu if you fail the chase sequences is what makes it overtly transphobic in my book. The whole thing is played off like a joke, and it's just perpetuating tired gay panic stereotypes at the expense of a group that already suffers so much, for the sake of a clunky prison rape joke.
Can understand that you see it that way. Just never saw Michirus acting (/rapeing)as an action that stands for the whole transcommunity or hatespeech against trans people.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Also, the way the story is presented plays into an offensive stereotype about gay and trans people. It just...doesn't do any good for the game, it doesn't do any good for Michiru and it doesn't do any good for Kiryu. It adds nothing to the game while actively making the experience hostile and toxic for LGBT players.

I would prefer they just replaced the sidequests with something less awful rather than cutting them outright, but I give Nagoshi full props for owning up to the fact that they messed up and working to remove that offensive portrayal from the remaster.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Censorship is horeshit. Won't be buying. Thanks Sega for saving my money.

Oh come on! Would people please stop with this censorship nonsense? As people here pointed out, the creators themselves opted to make the changes. There's absolutely no censorship going on here. Please go read on some real censorship situations throughout history across the world to learn what it really is.

Content like the one being excluded from the game hurts people. Real people. And these kinds of "jokes" present in mass media entertainment products only ensure that people will continue to get hurt in the future. That's why it's being removed. Not because of some imaginary censorship situation.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nonsense? In a way. Funny? Absolutely. If this happened in real life, obviosuly it's not funny. Thankfully, it's a video game and complete fiction. Let's remove everything else that might offend people while we're at it. It's fucking lame.
They're not doing it because it might offend people, they're doing it because they changed their minds and think its wrong and they don't like that it's in their game. If anything people demanding it be kept are censoring their artistic expression.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Never played the original version of the game, but this seems like something that was absolutely pointless and very clearly offensive without contributing anything to the story, setting or characters.

There are other types of content cuts that could be debated, such as removing stuff like mahjong or shogi because it was too Japanese or whatever. This isn't one of those.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're not doing it because it might offend people, they're doing it because they changed their minds and think its wrong and they don't like that it's in their game. If anything people demanding it be kept are censoring their artistic expression.
That's a good way to look at it, actually.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
amazing how a small (but welcomed) change like this brings out the burner accounts and people crying censorship, yet this pales incomparison to the original western release of Yakuza 3 where there were quite a number of significant changes.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
This thread, not just the main topic but also all the the other praise this series gets (in here and in the past), led me to finally pull the trigger on 0, as my first Yakuza game.

Would've happened eventually, I almost did it like a week ago actually... but now is good.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
It's funny that people are crying censorship when we're getting back a bunch of content that was cut from the original Western releases.

Oct 26, 2017
Man i want to say it was either 0 or kiwami that dropped the ball with the pronouns too iirc. I know 0 walked a thin line with the phone sex operation but in that game, Kiryu expressed no remorse for the experience, only exhaustion.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread, not just the main topic but also all the the other praise this series gets (in here and in the past), led me to finally pull the trigger on 0, as my first Yakuza game.

Would've happened eventually, I almost did it like a week ago actually... but now is good.
Y0 is literally my second best game ever (just behind Super Mario 64), it is truly great.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

You're in for a treat. Yakuza 0 is one of my favorite games ever.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017

Dude, you are in for a wild fuckin ride. Y0 is incredible. One of my favorite games of all time.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. So it works for your opinion but not mine. Such a hypocrite.
Being intolerant of intolerance isn't the same thing as being intolerant of transgender people, gay people or minorities. One thing is being intolerant of what people are, one thing is being intolerant of what idiotic, bigoted shitstains of humanity actually decide to do themselves, which fairly opens them for much deserved criticism.

colonyoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty curious if 4's remaster had any changes... it had some pretty blatant transphobia and even rape jokes (in the localization, at least) so itd be nice to know how far they're willing to go when it comes to their modern values.

Every entry in the franchise has an awkward homo/transphobic moment in it sticking out like a sore thumb and itd be nice if they managed to start steering clear of them.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
This game series is the only one that I have doubledipped PS4 and PC versions. And looks like I will continue doing so with everything this studio puts out.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty curious if 4's remaster had any changes... it had some pretty blatant transphobia and even rape jokes (in the localization, at least) so itd be nice to know how far they're willing to go when it comes to their modern values.

Every entry in the franchise has an awkward homo/transphobic moment in it sticking out like a sore thumb and itd be nice if they managed to start steering clear of them.

I've not read anything about 4 still having those, though I'll be honest - I'm not quite sure if the dialogue was there in the Japanese version or added/changed for the translation. The rape line you mention was between Akiyama and Hana. Kinda hope they get rid of that one, I like Akiyama as a character and it just seems so damn out of character for him going by any other dialogue he gets in the series especially related to Hana - he's really fond of her.

Other than that though, the only changes I'm aware of in 4's remaster is the removal again of Answer X Answer, and you can no longer look at magazine covers. That's it. Oh, and Tanimura as well changed actor of course.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Wow, I was thinking this was just something they cut for the U.S. release but it was removed from the Japanese version, too. Kudos to the Yakuzer team. Now please put Majima and or Kiryu in Tekken D:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I've not read anything about 4 still having those, though I'll be honest - I'm not quite sure if the dialogue was there in the Japanese version or added/changed for the translation. The rape line you mention was between Akiyama and Hana. Kinda hope they get rid of that one, I like Akiyama as a character and it just seems so damn out of character for him going by any other dialogue he gets in the series especially related to Hana - he's really fond of her.

Other than that though, the only changes I'm aware of in 4's remaster is the removal again of Answer X Answer, and you can no longer look at magazine covers. That's it. Oh, and Tanimura as well changed actor of course.
I believe some Hostesses changed too. But thats about it!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I believe some Hostesses changed too. But thats about it!
Hostesses only changed in 3 so far - and that was due to Sega licensing the hostesses from a real hostess club(s) instead of doing what they do now (auditions) so they swapped out the likenesses for the 10 or so hostesses in Yakuza 3. I've seen no comments from people who have played 4 so far saying similar has happened, though I can't comment myself as I've still not started my copy just yet (should get round to it next month with any luck)