• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Ehh, maybe? Yakuza 0 is $12 right now and Kiwami 2 is currently $50 (going by USA prices). I swear Kiwami 2 has been on sale for MUCH cheaper than that in the past. On the other hand, it might not as readily go on sale because they might rather push people to this collection in the future. Also, if you don't keep Plus in the future, you'd still have Kiwami.

If I were you, I'd probably roll the dice and buy 0 for $12 right now (top 3 game of the generation for me) and play through that and Kiwami (play 0 first) and keep an eye on if Kiwami 2 ever goes on sale and jump on it. Also, many have said you can easily burn yourself out on Yakuza if you don't take a break in between games (more potential time for Kiwami 2 to go on sale). But on the other hand, $50 for the entire thing if you want it all now is outstanding as well. Either way you're doing well.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Zero is real cheap in EU as well, but not on sale at the moment. I have both that and Kiwami 2 on alert on PSPrices, so hopefully they'll be on sale soon. And if Zero ain't on sale when I'm finished with my current game I'll go with your advice. :)

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to ERA and The Easy Allies I started with 0 and worked my way up. I am very, very excited to be here today.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that they're not sold individually. Seems kinda shitty selling all three now when only one is available.

Still gonna get them all obviously.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about as switched on a fan as there is, and I *completely fucking missed this*?! Was this a surprise gamescom drop or something?! So excited to slowly close out the missing three games (over the next year, probably, lol)

Apr 24, 2018
No way I'm picking this up digitally...so I can hold firm to my commitment of not spending much more on games this year, and so I can grab it physically next year. Not to mention I need to finish playing Kiwami II first (which I just started). I hope everyone playing now enjoys it!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Booted the game up quick, just wanted to check a couple of things, as I'm already knee deep in 5 on my PS4, I wasn't planning on playing 3 just yet (even if that story is pulling me right back in).

Just in case anyone wonders, the music cuts are still... cut. Pity as that means the main theme (Loser) is out (a cut down version of "Fly" takes its place, which is at least an excellent substitute) and also some cutscene music later in chapter 11 I believe will be changed (again, huge pity as that really adds to an already powerful scene).

On the brighter side, a quick look at the completion list shows that 19 mini games are in. I don't need to check which, that's the same as the Japanese PS4 release, so only AxA is cut as expected. All 10 hostesses are listed as well, as you'd expect. As side story numbers don't appear like in later games (like saying you've completed 0/100) its impossible to say how many are in this version of 3, though I'd wager its 119 - there were 123 originally, the three transphobic ones will still be cut, and the one tied to AxA will unsurprisingly still be cut as well. So aside from music, this seems identical to the Japanese PS4 release, which is excellent news.

Rewatching the first couple of cutscenes and already they properly name Kazama instead of Fuma - so 100x better translation for that alone. The rest of the locasation - font wise etc. looks great. I look forward to yet again replaying this game once I get through with a few other Yakuza games sitting on my replay pile!

Dec 21, 2017
Just started off.

Combat seems a bit more stiff than 0/1K/2K, which makes sense since this was made earlier. The bosses seem to turtle a lot more than i'm used to, is there a way around this?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just started off.

Combat seems a bit more stiff than 0/1K/2K, which makes sense since this was made earlier. The bosses seem to turtle a lot more than i'm used to, is there a way around this?
On the early ones? Nope. Once you hit Kamurocho make sure you seek out Komaki before doing anything else, you can get all his counters and parries super early in the game which make the fights really fun, and easier.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh, FYI this game is harder than the other recent Yakuza releases.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I believe the games started getting much easier with the release of Y4. So if you've adjusted to the hard difficulty in the entries on PS4, you might have a bit more trouble with this one.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I would get this in a heartbeat, but I still have Yakuza 0 to play. Also, Kiwami....and Kiwami 2.... and 6....Judgement.....

It is just all too much lol

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Oh, FYI this game is harder than the other recent Yakuza releases.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I believe the games started getting much easier with the release of Y4. So if you've adjusted to the hard difficulty in the entries on PS4, you might have a bit more trouble with this one.

I remember being pretty difficult. I always assumed it was that it was my first time with the serie, but looking back, it was pretty difficult. I remember having to use items constantly on the boss battles in order to survive.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I want this, but I can't swing a full 80 CDN right now. Why wouldn't they release them separately? Even at $30 a piece, I could swing buying them as they release and they make more money.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I can't control my restraint, I want to play Yakuza 3 now :(
I want to hold off until the physical release but I am dying to replay it...

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
OH MY GOD.

This is possibly one of the best/biggest single-player collections in the history of gaming. My Yakuza 5 save alone was completed at 99 hours, and I didn't even finish everything. The amount of great content here is obscene.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Nope, seems they came in at 1080p60fps as well, no mention of any Pro advantages

About the Japanese version:
"Sato: Combining with the PS4 platform, it will achieve high resolution and high frame rate. The general PS4 is all 1080p performance. The past PS3 version of the number of frames is 30, PS4 version was upgraded to 60. However, in some mini-games, we think that the more important content is to maintain the previous 30. But exploring and fighting in the streets is all 60 shots. As for the PS4 Pro, it will correspond to 4K resolution. "

I saw 4K footage of Yakuza 3 on youtube also, unless it is fake/upscaled.

Can somebody that plays the Pro version confirm?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
About the Japanese version:
"Sato: Combining with the PS4 platform, it will achieve high resolution and high frame rate. The general PS4 is all 1080p performance. The past PS3 version of the number of frames is 30, PS4 version was upgraded to 60. However, in some mini-games, we think that the more important content is to maintain the previous 30. But exploring and fighting in the streets is all 60 shots. As for the PS4 Pro, it will correspond to 4K resolution. "

I saw 4K footage of Yakuza 3 on youtube also, unless it is fake/upscaled.

Can somebody that plays the Pro version confirm?
Well, that'd be good news. The information that came from today ever specified anything over 1080p and I didn't look that much into the Japanese release, hence linking that article under the belief that their releases were 1080 as well. If its indeed 4K then thats great for those with 4K displays.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
That physical edition looks awesome, but I don't think I'll be able to wait until February of next year. I usually wait for games to go on sale, too, but this collection is still reasonably priced even at full retail value. I don't think it will be too long before I cave in.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips or hints for first timers coming into Yakuza 3?

I've finished 6 and Judgment and barely got through 0 and Kiwami so I'm a while off jumping into 3 but figured I'd see if anyone has any advice specific to this game :)

My one useless tip for Yakuza 3: find out if there's a button you can hold to slow your walking speed so you don't have to stress about always holding Haruka's hand when walking through Okinawa.

That's all I got.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Well, that'd be good news. The information that came from today ever specified anything over 1080p and I didn't look that much into the Japanese release, hence linking that article under the belief that their releases were 1080 as well. If its indeed 4K then thats great for those with 4K displays.
Yeah. Should be somebody that can confirm soon.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
My one useless tip for Yakuza 3: find out if there's a button you can hold to slow your walking speed so you don't have to stress about always holding Haruka's hand when walking through Okinawa.

That's all I got.
That should be L1. It is for every other game in the series, I assume it wasn't introduced in 4 (I forget!)

Ricitor

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, only in Yakuza 3 would I spend 30 minutes in the prologue trying to get a dumb trophy for knocking 100 people over.

And first achiever!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That should be L1. It is for every other game in the series, I assume it wasn't introduced in 4 (I forget!)

There it is! (I hope. I'll find out when I get Y3 PS4.)

I remember when 0 gave you a button that not only matched your speed with the person you were walking with, but also AUTO-FOLLOWED THEM so you didn't even have to think about where to go.

I love this button. I need this button.

Nov 1, 2017
How can content possibly be restored when the original release was "99% the same with a little less trivia" when the quiz game is out of the remaster? It's not like they originally cut a bunch of stuff out of the game and pretended they didn't, is it?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How can content possibly be restored when the original release was "99% the same with a little less trivia" when the quiz game is out of the remaster? It's not like they originally cut a bunch of stuff out of the game and pretended they didn't, is it?
What do you mean? The original English PS3 release was cut up bad. Hostess Clubs, No.1 Hostess, Mahjong, Shogi, Massage Parlour, 20+ side stories etc. were all removed from the game.
The only thing that this game doesn't have that the original Japanese release of 3 had was AxA but that was cut from all PS4 versions, so not surprising really.