• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I might honestly just jump straight into this once I finish Judgment. Uh, if I ever finish Judgment within my lifetime. Still on like chapter 9.

Might seem like an odd question but I'm wondering what the general opinion of the series' soundtracks is, from people who have played all the games. Y0's soundtrack was absolutely amazing but I didn't get the same feeling from Kiwami 1 and 2. Judgment's OST is pretty good and memorable but not on the level of 'blasting Kuze's boss theme in my car' yet. Since I plan to get this and play through 3-6, are there any in particular I should be looking forward to in that respect?

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Excellent point. Stuff like the Tiger Drop in this and 4 are glorious as you can just bounce people off walls into big combos. They neuter it in 5 and I'm really feeling it :(
I'd even go as far to say that mastering the Tiger Drop is definitely a requirement in order complete the Legendary difficulty mode and Ultimate Battles

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I might honestly just jump straight into this once I finish Judgment. Uh, if I ever finish Judgment within my lifetime. Still on like chapter 9.

Might seem like an odd question but I'm wondering what the general opinion of the series' soundtracks is, from people who have played all the games. Y0's soundtrack was absolutely amazing but I didn't get the same feeling from Kiwami 1 and 2. Judgment's OST is pretty good and memorable but not on the level of 'blasting Kuze's boss theme in my car' yet. Since I plan to get this and play through 3-6, are there any in particular I should be looking forward to in that respect?
3's is absolutely amazing, I'd say it easily beats 0 aside from a few tracks (though I don't hold 0's in as high regard, even though I quite like it). Ishin's is full of excellent remixes and original themes so that gets my vote. 4's is really solid especially the battle themes and final boss (oh, and Majima), 6's is probably my favourite next to 3 in sheer quality, there's an awful lot of great music there for bosses.

I'd even go as far to say that mastering the Tiger Drop is definitely a requirement in order complete the Legendary difficulty mode and Ultimate Battles

For sure, the sooner you learn it the easier/better the game gets. Especially as you can unlock it so early, it means when the game starts ramping up with bosses you can literally counter that with a powerful punch counter attack!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is these replies are GIVING me the itch! Which is fine, because I secretly wanted to be talked into playing 3 this weekend anyway.

Thank for enlightening me, everyone. It seems like there might be just enough new variety in 3–5 compared to 0–2 that I won't fizzle out. And I do miss spending time with Daddy Kiryu!

But that physical collection sure looks nice too...

One option would be to wait for the physical release. Another would be to buy the digital at whatever point the itch becomes irresistible.

Three games in a year and a half at best is a lot, and you're right to be worried about burnout. Some people love the series so much that burnout isn't an issue, but if you do start to feel it I think you're totally fine to drop the series for a while and come back. No need to sour yourself on the franchise needlessly!

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017

Not necessary but it makes it significantly easier. EX-Hard in 3 and 4 are waaaay tougher than 0's legendary. It caps all heat move damage to a really small amount so you have to either get komaki counters (re: parry fishing) or nail dodging and properly getting openings on bosses.

But even then that only becomes really necessary for the high end side content (Amon and the arena fights). There's a huge gulf between the main story boss fight difficulty and the coliseum and Amon fight on ex-hard.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
So I've been playing all the kiwama versions, does this mean there won't be anymore kiwamis? Should I just buy this if I want to continue the story?

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Excellent point. Stuff like the Tiger Drop in this and 4 are glorious as you can just bounce people off walls into big combos. They neuter it in 5 and I'm really feeling it :(

Honestly it does an absurd amount of damage so I think tuning it down is a good idea. Like the tiger drop in kiwami and Majima's knife parry equivalent in 0 just do stupid amounts of damage for how (relatively) easy it is to pull off. I think its damage on ex-hard in 3 and 4 felt fine cause it gave you good damage but it didn't just joke-ify fights like it does in Kiwami or 0 or on the lower difficulty.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it does an absurd amount of damage so I think tuning it down is a good idea. Like the tiger drop in kiwami and Majima's knife parry equivalent in 0 just do stupid amounts of damage for how (relatively) easy it is to pull off. I think its damage on ex-hard in 3 and 4 felt fine cause it gave you good damage but it didn't just joke-ify fights like it does in Kiwami or 0 or on the lower difficulty.
Guess it helps that 3 feels harder than 0 and a few other later games at least (Kiwami could still put up a fight at times). Take the Lau fight in 3 - tiger dropping him does great damage especially if you get the wall bound, but that's easier said than done because his moves (at least for me), are super hard to read. Ditto with a few other later game bosses. 6 and Kiwami 2 nerfed the Tiger Drop too much for my liking but then Judge Eyes rolled around and really gave me a good balance between the two - not quite as strong as older games, but way better than other Dragon Engine games. Hopefully Shin follows suit in that regard.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Did they change anything with the trophies or is mini game master still there?
Well technically Mini Game Master is changed - it now requires 19 mini games to be completed, not the 20 from the Japanese PS3 release (what with Answer X Answer being removed). But otherwise it remains unchanged in terms of requirements for that trophy.
Only trophies that were reworked were a few grindy ones (beat enemies with X number of heat moves...) to make them less grindy.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Finally get to play 3,4,5 I've played everything else except the samurai and zombie games which hopefully get localized for ps4/pc too. It's amazing how far RGG has taken their animations. Yakuza 3 looks archaic compared to the Kiwami games but the visuals are still fine. Story already has me sucked in though!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

0's soundtrack is great, although Yakuza 3 might be my favorite. Yakuza Ishin and 6 also stand out in my mind. All the games have great tracks though.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So, in a series full of reused animations, why did they not reuse some of 3's hilarious NPC animations in later games? You got the silly kid walk that just looks comical, half the population is walking around hunchbacked, sometimes you actually get hunchback armies crossing your path and some schoolgirls do this exaggerated happy strut. It's my favorite thing about the game, story and substories are kinda eh so far (I'm in chapter 5.) and the combat is okay, better than the Dragon Engine games at least. That chapter 3 boss was bullshit though. Stop guarding everything!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So, in a series full of reused animations, why did they not reuse some of 3's hilarious NPC animations in later games? You got the silly kid walk that just looks comical, half the population is walking around hunchbacked, sometimes you actually get hunchback armies crossing your path and some schoolgirls do this exaggerated happy strut. It's my favorite thing about the game, story and substories are kinda eh so far (I'm in chapter 5.) and the combat is okay, better than the Dragon Engine games at least. That chapter 3 boss was bullshit though. Stop guarding everything!
I'm glad to hear someone else is obsessed with the silly ass animations in this series. I'll do them with my husband IRL sometimes.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The animations are one of my favourite things about the series, for real. So charming and funny.

The music in 3 is god tier though, yeah. Up there with 0 and 6 as the best in the series.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Does updated localization mean that Kazuma's adopted father is no longer named Shintaro Fuma? It was the first 3 games translation where he had that name right? its been too long for me to remember.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Does updated localization mean that Kazuma's adopted father is no longer named Shintaro Fuma? It was the first 3 games translation where he had that name right? its been too long for me to remember.
Kiryu is no longer Kazuma, and Kazama is no longer Fuma. They've brought the localization more in line with their recent efforts.

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
Finally get to play 3,4,5 I've played everything else except the samurai and zombie games which hopefully get localized for ps4/pc too. It's amazing how far RGG has taken their animations. Yakuza 3 looks archaic compared to the Kiwami games but the visuals are still fine. Story already has me sucked in though!
Dead Souls was not great - I own it. The shooting is basically just the shooting you got in the likes of Yakuza 4 - it really wasn't meant for a full game. They add a load of different guns of course, but they all have that same jank to them. It pains me to say this as I love the Yakuza series, but it's really not very good.

Just watching some of the steam from Gamescom of Yakuza 3. I haven't played it for several years now, and I'm astounded at how far the games have come - the animations in particular feel PS2 in quality, and the models have aged quite a bit too. It's still recognisably Yakuza, and I can get used to it for sure, but it's so weird! Especially as it's now running at 60fps in a much higher resolution. Just so weird...

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Trying to decide which is more peak Dad Kiryu, this one or Y6. I just love the orphans.

I haven't touched the minigames yet, mostly because I rushed to Okinawa. I'm gonna have to remedy that. Just feeling how this plays makes me so excited for the 4 and especially 5 remasters. 5 is an all time great IMO

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike the Karaoke in this: no male vocals, the interjections seem quite lame so far, and no video plays out when you hit your stride. Also, I miss the cabaret club mini-game from Y0 and the Kiwami games, so far I just wander around listen to customers and then change outfits/accessories - that's it? I did enjoy the Dad Kiryu stuff at the orphanage at least :).

Oh yeah, the golf game controls seem weird. I never got the hang of it but at least that first mission allows constant mulligans.

Edit: What's the deal with inventory - are you super limited in this game? The weapons and armor slots are the same with the drugs/food for healing. Are there really just 15 slots for everything? 6 of those are already used up for equipped armor/weapons and if you want to have extra gear/weapons then even fewer slots for health drinks/food/stuff to sell/etc.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just in case anyone wonders, the music cuts are still... cut. Pity as that means the main theme (Loser) is out (a cut down version of "Fly" takes its place, which is at least an excellent substitute) and also some cutscene music later in chapter 11 I believe will be changed (again, huge pity as that really adds to an already powerful scene).

The great news is that I'd imagine a PC port is pretty much inevitable at this point. When that comes out we'll get a restored music patch.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike the Karaoke in this: no male vocals, the interjections seem quite lame so far, and no video plays out when you hit your stride. Also, I miss the cabaret club mini-game from Y0 and the Kiwami games, so far I just wander around listen to customers and then change outfits/accessories - that's it? I did enjoy the Dad Kiryu stuff at the orphanage at least :).

Oh yeah, the golf game controls seem weird. I never got the hang of it but at least that first mission allows constant mulligans.

Edit: What's the deal with inventory - are you super limited in this game? The weapons and armor slots are the same with the drugs/food for healing. Are there really just 15 slots for everything? 6 of those are already used up for equipped armor/weapons and if you want to have extra gear/weapons then even fewer slots for health drinks/food/stuff to sell/etc.

Inventory has always been like that though? I can't recall if later games gave you more inventory slots (maybe a couple) but it never seemed like a hassle when I was playing (I barely ever use armor though aside from against Amon).

As for Karaoke... not sure what your getting at because Kiryu gets one song in 3 (and only one, its the first game to have Karaoke after all), and there are videos for the songs but only if you play on Karaoke's hard/lively difficulty mode, and for women, have a date along from the hostess club singing with you (you don't get anything if your just doing the song without them). But again, I can't think of a game where that's ever not been the case...

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Inventory has always been like that though? I can't recall if later games gave you more inventory slots (maybe a couple) but it never seemed like a hassle when I was playing (I barely ever use armor though aside from against Amon).

As for Karaoke... not sure what your getting at because Kiryu gets one song in 3 (and only one, its the first game to have Karaoke after all), and there are videos for the songs but only if you play on Karaoke's hard/lively difficulty mode, and for women, have a date along from the hostess club singing with you (you don't get anything if your just doing the song without them). But again, I can't think of a game where that's ever not been the case...
For the inventory, the weapons and armor were in a completely separate inventory from everything else, ie, didn't share the same spots with drinks/stamina/misc crap you find. That way you could have a collection of weapons and armor/equipment/accessories to switch around with, I really enjoyed that aspect especially switching through a variety of weapons (had a huge collection in Kiwami 2). In this game, you really can't afford to take up all that space if you want to carry a variety since it is all shared space. Are Yakuza 3-5 all like this, I know 0, 6, Kiwami 1 and 2 aren't.

I always forget how the karaoke is in each game as they all get jumbled together, I just know I wasn't very impressed with this version's song selection/vocals so far and I like the karaoke note layout in the Dragon engine games much better. The best of course is having Majima sing and interject.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yo, I was just grinding my way through the hostess minigame/substory, not really enjoying it, not really hating it either, and suddenly while walking around the club I get a cutscene of my hostess sitting there with a customer, smoking, and looking at me angrily. After the session she dropped down 5 ranks. Before that, motivation was high and stress kinda above average so what's the deal? Does that happen randomly? Is it supposed to happen as part of the substory? Either way, I don't approve.

The more important question though: Storywise I'm right at the point where it's supposedly going back to Kamurocho and I know this game has some missable substories...does the hostess substory belong to those? That's the main reason I was kinda grinding my way through it right now.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been playing all the kiwama versions, does this mean there won't be anymore kiwamis? Should I just buy this if I want to continue the story?
The Kiwamis were from-PS2-quality-to-PS3/4 level upgrades. They aren't going to update 3-5 from PS3 to PS4 because the difference is ultimately fairly small. The PS3 games in higher resolution and at a higher framerate already looks really nice, would be a bit of a waste of money to start making any significant upgrades to the PS3 games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, I was just grinding my way through the hostess minigame/substory, not really enjoying it, not really hating it either, and suddenly while walking around the club I get a cutscene of my hostess sitting there with a customer, smoking, and looking at me angrily. After the session she dropped down 5 ranks. Before that, motivation was high and stress kinda above average so what's the deal? Does that happen randomly? Is it supposed to happen as part of the substory? Either way, I don't approve.

The more important question though: Storywise I'm right at the point where it's supposedly going back to Kamurocho and I know this game has some missable substories...does the hostess substory belong to those? That's the main reason I was kinda grinding my way through it right now.
Until you can max out the hostess stats (S rank in all categories) there's a chance they'll get annoyed depending on their stats, appearance and whatever the customer is asking for. Personally, I love the "bad" cutscecnes as they really crack me up. Ranks are pretty meaningless as once they are S rank in all stats and have a really good outfit(s) for customer requests they'll fly to No.1 hostess rank easy. And no, this isn't a "missable" mission as there are a total of 3 girls you can max out in the club, you can come back and do those later. Worth noting that there is a missable trophy in that mode for getting "best service" from a customer - you basically have to have a girl with the absolute best outfit/setup and a customer asking for that specific setup, and it might trigger... maybe. Never did for me in the Japanese version...

That said, there is a missable side story coming up (or just gone) when you take Haruka for a walk about - it should trigger automatically though. Its the one with Akimoto and Mizuki. So make sure you do that one, and the one about a message in a bottle (also need Haruka with you to trigger) before you leave for Kamurocho. If in doubt, check ThePatricks guide on Gamefaqs for which chapters/points the side stories trigger as my memory is hazy on a couple of them.

Ricitor

Oct 27, 2017
So I have just hit the No 1 Hostess minigame and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. None of the training seems to be working and the customers are only looking for smarts. I've tried continuous resting, swapping training focus and even having days where I just try to rush through to 'reset'. Seems I'm in a cycle of no motivation and always high stress but neither change because I cannot train to match what the customers are looking for.
Anybody have any tips on how to get into the rhythm of this game?

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Until you can max out the hostess stats (S rank in all categories) there's a chance they'll get annoyed depending on their stats, appearance and whatever the customer is asking for. Personally, I love the "bad" cutscecnes as they really crack me up. Ranks are pretty meaningless as once they are S rank in all stats and have a really good outfit(s) for customer requests they'll fly to No.1 hostess rank easy. And no, this isn't a "missable" mission as there are a total of 3 girls you can max out in the club, you can come back and do those later. Worth noting that there is a missable trophy in that mode for getting "best service" from a customer - you basically have to have a girl with the absolute best outfit/setup and a customer asking for that specific setup, and it might trigger... maybe. Never did for me in the Japanese version...

That said, there is a missable side story coming up (or just gone) when you take Haruka for a walk about - it should trigger automatically though. Its the one with Akimoto and Mizuki. So make sure you do that one, and the one about a message in a bottle (also need Haruka with you to trigger) before you leave for Kamurocho. If in doubt, check ThePatricks guide on Gamefaqs for which chapters/points the side stories trigger as my memory is hazy on a couple of them.
I actually finished the hostess substory shortly after my post, towards the end everything seemed to just fall into place. Not gonna do another round with a new girl though, even if there's a possible substory tied to it. And yeah, did the Akimoto substory, it triggered pretty much automatically. Missed the bottle one but oh well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So I have just hit the No 1 Hostess minigame and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. None of the training seems to be working and the customers are only looking for smarts. I've tried continuous resting, swapping training focus and even having days where I just try to rush through to 'reset'. Seems I'm in a cycle of no motivation and always high stress but neither change because I cannot train to match what the customers are looking for.
Anybody have any tips on how to get into the rhythm of this game?
I can't help with the way to dress/make up the girl, there might be some old Gamefaqs posts for that. But for the training...

Never do the same training twice in a row ever! Even if you finish a shift then try doing the same training in the first part of the next shift, it'll fail. The idea is to go between 3 different training methods. As a rule, its generally not worth using the "scold" option (I think that's an option) as its really only there for when you need to get the girls in a certain mood for specific customers.
The girl will get next to no customers to begin with, that's normal btw.
I usually try using the top training option and then cycle through the other options, using rest (or whatever the training that just has the girl on her phone) when her stress starts creeping up. Training won't work 100% of the time, but it shouldn't fail 100% either. As I said, just make sure your never using the same training twice in a row, always alternate between 3 different types and it should work more often than not.
After a certain point you unlock more training options, better ones that help level the girl up faster (good news, for girl 2 and 3 these are unlocked from the get go). So once you have all the training options, you'll want to focus on the last 3-4 options instead, its quicker.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Just to check, have they added autosave to this? I saved at a phone box when I last stopped playing the game just to be safe anyway as imagine it wouldn't have been added.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just to check, have they added autosave to this? I saved at a phone box when I last stopped playing the game just to be safe anyway as imagine it wouldn't have been added.
No, no autosaves for the PS4 games bar Judgment and 6 I think. All the "old engine" games require you to manually save at phone boxes.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
No, no autosaves for the PS4 games bar Judgment and 6 I think. All the "old engine" games require you to manually save at phone boxes.
Looks like not. Should be a PSA to everyone new to the game who are used to the newer games autosave system.

Thanks for the confirmation. Luckily I've played most of the older games so knew not to necessarily expect it, but definitely a potential pitfall for anyone still new to the series.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
I need to admit that I suck at Yakuza quite a bit and that I play on the easiest difficulty and still find it hard. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've played Y0, Kiwami 1, 2 and Judgment and the way Heat works in Yakuza 3 feels different, for example: When I was fighting the Viper boss even though my Heat was at max it wouldn't let me use it. Instead, it auto triggered at a certain point am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is in Y3?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I need to admit that I suck at Yakuza quite a bit and that I play on the easiest difficulty and still find it hard. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've played Y0, Kiwami 1, 2 and Judgment and the way Heat works in Yakuza 3 feels different, for example: When I was fighting the Viper boss even though my Heat was at max it wouldn't let me use it. Instead, it auto triggered at a certain point am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is in Y3?
Almost all the heat actions have to be unlocked through leveling/upgrade or reading books, you get pretty much nothing by default in this game. Leveling system is super boring, you basically just level them all up before going to next stage. Need something more interesting like Y0 or Kiwami 2. I'm in chapter 4 and already everything is at level 5.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
old games have less heat moves. Never understood why every game has you unlock the stomp heat move against downed enemies. Weapon heat moves (as in, stuff you can pick up from the ground like bins, bikes etc.) are all useable from the beginning. As is smashing an enemy against the wall. 3 has a ton of revelation moves to unlock as well once you meet Mack and things get really fun with some of these cooler moves. Yakuza 4 actually just lets you unlock most of Kiryu's heat moves right from the get go while Yakuza 5 doesn't even have you need to unlock most moves, they are unlocked from the beginning and you unlock extras (and the damn stomp move) a you go.

Also worth noting for Y3, Kiryu can meet several people to train with - and this unlocks your ability to use weapons, which in turn lets you use those weapon heat moves as well. So don't ignore the weird dude on the beach when he shows up!

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
old games have less heat moves. Never understood why every game has you unlock the stomp heat move against downed enemies. Weapon heat moves (as in, stuff you can pick up from the ground like bins, bikes etc.) are all useable from the beginning. As is smashing an enemy against the wall. 3 has a ton of revelation moves to unlock as well once you meet Mack and things get really fun with some of these cooler moves. Yakuza 4 actually just lets you unlock most of Kiryu's heat moves right from the get go while Yakuza 5 doesn't even have you need to unlock most moves, they are unlocked from the beginning and you unlock extras (and the damn stomp move) a you go.

Also worth noting for Y3, Kiryu can meet several people to train with - and this unlocks your ability to use weapons, which in turn lets you use those weapon heat moves as well. So don't ignore the weird dude on the beach when he shows up!

Thanks for the tip!

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
By the way! Why don't Kiryu and Yui Hatano recognize each other from Kiwami 1? That's bad continuity, SEGA.