• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
By the way! Why don't Kiryu and Yui Hatano recognize each other from Kiwami 1? That's bad continuity, SEGA.
Its a pity the localisation couldn't have played with that more, but the problem lies with the Japanese licensing. Basically, the hostesses in Yakuza 3 were originally licensed in a weird way along with the actual club names (in the Japanese PS3 release of 3, the clubs all had different names). Now for whatever reason the licensing had expired/whatever for the remaster and so RGGS recycled previous assets (hostesses from other games) and plopped them into 3 without changing the dialogue - I used a guide for the Japanese hostesses in 3 remaster because I'm lazy and wanted to have it completed quick, and this guide was released for the PS3 version - and all the questions, dialogue and answers are exactly identical to the PS3 version. So I guess the localisation team just properly localised the dialogue as is. Its a pity that it was never changed in the Japanese release as well, but a small budget remake probably didn't warrent that sort of effort to include brand new dialogue.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yakuza 3 definitely has the worst pacing in the series. Those really long cutscenes talking about land ownership are the worst. But it was the first one I completed and I have a soft spot for the orphanage opening and Okinawa.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
quick & dirty, just how i like em OP!

do not sleep on the side missions, some of the best story (particularly with supporting cast) happen there
also for the love of god, unless they change it, don't go for the plat
Are the side quests better in 3 than Yakuza kiwami 1 ?? Because Side quest in Kiwami wasn't really good compared to Zero

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are the side quests better in 3 than Yakuza kiwami 1 ?? Because Side quest in Kiwami wasn't really good compared to Zero
So you need to remember the timelines on when these games released. 0 was 2015, Yakuza 1 was 2005... sure Kiwami gets a few new side stories (and its quite easy to spot those, the writing is night and day) but on the whole 0's are better because its a game that's 10 years older, and they drastically change the way they wrote side stories to make them more like drama, less of just random scams like 1 was.

But to answer your question - yes and no. Some still have the old "scam" ending (there's another bunch of entertaining "don't bump into me" guys to meet) but there are also side stories like The Tuna Fund, Akimoto and Mizuki's resolution to their plot from 1 and 2, quest for perfect store bought Ramen, Message in a Bottle, lost letters, the 7 secrets of Ryuku etc. plus there are some great ones with Rikiya, one that references the very beginning to Yakuza 1, a decent trans positive side story etc.
But it feels like 4 is where they really hit their stride for side stories, with them really focusing around the characters more than just random stuff (which is a good thing, as 4 needed that extra content to bolster the new characters personalities and backstories).

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I'm really happy that this is coming to the US finally. If I remember correctly, Yakuza 3 was probably the first game in the series that I completed (I may have completed Yakuza 1 on PS2 back in the day but I can't remember). I thought it was a solid game overall and it made me a fan of the series. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pass on this digital collection for now. I still have 0, Kiwami 1 & 2, and 6 to play through and that probably ain't happening anytime soon, especially when this fall season starting up. I'll probably pick up the physical collection when it does release though, because I do like to show my support for the series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely. Kiwami's NEW side missions are about on par with those in the PS3-era games, but all the side missions from the original game are really bland. Yakuza really took a couple of installments to crystallize, and the sort of absurdist humor and social exploration that the series is now known for really started to creep in in full during Yakuza 2 and cemented itself in 4.

3 is a better game than 1 in almost every way except pacing.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
About two hours in right now. I forgot how cool the Okinawan sunsets look in Y3.

Definitely not my favourite in the series, but I still really like it. Seeing Kiryu work with the kids and the orphanage is neat.

Ricitor

Oct 27, 2017
So finally hit Kamurocho and am on a beam line to get Minigame Master. 10/18 are done and I've already taken care of all of the hard ones so now its a straight shot with gambling. I'm actually really kicking myself as I just finished up EX Hard Batting cages in two attempts. First time I got it on the PS3 version it took damn near a day of continuous attempts.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So finally hit Kamurocho and am on a beam line to get Minigame Master. 10/18 are done and I've already taken care of all of the hard ones so now its a straight shot with gambling. I'm actually really kicking myself as I just finished up EX Hard Batting cages in two attempts. First time I got it on the PS3 version it took damn near a day of continuous attempts.
Nicely done. Thankfully EX Hard cages didn't take me too long to do either, still wasn't easy, but I might favor that over 5's bloody maths batting cages any day of the week!

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I have a little over 50 substories done and to be honest, a vast majority of them is exactly like the ones from 1/Kiwami, forgettable fluff that is only good for some money and a few EXP.

Every boss I fought so far was kinda garbage, not really difficult, just annoying. Combat against regular enemies is fine though.

The story is kinda middle of the road for the series, really dumb twists and motivations, contrieved melodrama, somewhat naive, but you're still somehow invested in the characters. The usual. I'm in chapter 11 right now, so stuff is happening.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Me during every scene at the orphanage with the kids

LCXlUxD.gif

Sep 28, 2018
Yakuza 3 is probably my least liked game in the series, or at least tied with the original for least exciting. It's still a good game, and I'm still buying the collection.

It's my opinion that the even-numbered games are the best: 0, 2, 4 and 6... But 5 is also pretty excellent.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished it, really exciting last few chapters, although I had to cheese some of the bosses with weapon spam/heat actions. Enjoyed it quite a bit despite some faults such as the substories not being that interesting compared to Yakuza 0 and the Cabaret club was incredibly disappointing compared to Y0 and YK2 club sim goodness.

How is the Amon fight? I am trying to decide if I want to work towards it, I have 100 substories completed out of 123ish? and all the Hitman missions done, but I also still need to complete 2 of the more difficult VR/IF7 fights (the Lau and Dragon one). I also dunno if I want to track down the final substories, I think I mostly have all 10 hostesses to do plus all the mini-activities associated with substories such as golf/bowling/baseball.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
How does this hostess mini game work? I am at okinawa, found the first girl (Shoko from smile burger) but all the clients want is gorgeous and Shoko is not naturally gorgeous and all accessories that boost gorgeous are expensive as hell so I don't get any progress as I only get small profit each time I run the club.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How does this hostess mini game work? I am at okinawa, found the first girl (Shoko from smile burger) but all the clients want is gorgeous and Shoko is not naturally gorgeous and all accessories that boost gorgeous are expensive as hell so I don't get any progress as I only get small profit each time I run the club.
Basically you gotta play the long game. Each girl can have their stats raised by using the lessons option between shifts - you start with 4? choices for different lessons and you can unlock 3-4 more after a while. Different lessons will increase different stats, and you cannot get the girl to do the same lesson twice in a row (else it'll always fail the second time). Doing these lessons will raise her main stats, and they will start getting customers once you hit C-B rank in stats. You'll also unlock more gear that can be purchased for the girls that will increase her cute/intelligent/gorgeous stats.

Basically, just try to get her stats levelled up. They gotta be S rank anyway to hit no.1 rank anyway.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Basically you gotta play the long game. Each girl can have their stats raised by using the lessons option between shifts - you start with 4? choices for different lessons and you can unlock 3-4 more after a while. Different lessons will increase different stats, and you cannot get the girl to do the same lesson twice in a row (else it'll always fail the second time). Doing these lessons will raise her main stats, and they will start getting customers once you hit C-B rank in stats. You'll also unlock more gear that can be purchased for the girls that will increase her cute/intelligent/gorgeous stats.

Basically, just try to get her stats levelled up. They gotta be S rank anyway to hit no.1 rank anyway.

I have ran the club like 10 times but I still can't choose the training option between shifts.

Edit. Nevermind. Now the option opened. This really takes time...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I was preparing for the worst because I heard 3 was a bit of a slog, but I'm mid-way through chapter six and the game has been a real joy. Okinawa is a great hub, and I like the cast.

It's kind of weird playing this after playing 6, because the Okinawa vibe and crew are all so similar to the crew and vibe in Hiroshima.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of weird playing this after playing 6, because the Okinawa vibe and crew are all so similar to the crew and vibe in Hiroshima.
That really is true. Your certainly not the first to notice either! It was really nice to have the whole "strangers to become good friends" vibe used again in 6, which unsurprisingly it why I view 3 and 6 as two of my favourite games in terms of support characters. And soundtracks.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I have a little over 50 substories done and to be honest, a vast majority of them is exactly like the ones from 1/Kiwami, forgettable fluff that is only good for some money and a few EXP.

Every boss I fought so far was kinda garbage, not really difficult, just annoying. Combat against regular enemies is fine though.

The story is kinda middle of the road for the series, really dumb twists and motivations, contrieved melodrama, somewhat naive, but you're still somehow invested in the characters. The usual. I'm in chapter 11 right now, so stuff is happening.

Do you play on hard ? are doing these "hunt" sidequest ? Because this is the first Yakuza game where enemies block ALL the time, you have to side-step behind and start combo with wall or object. This is the most challenging yakuza BY FAR.

I will never understand most of the complain of this game other then some really hard substories trigger. I think this is top tier yakuza IMO and i've played every yakuza game in marathon just before kiwami 1 got release here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still weep at how Yakuza difficulty was essentially lobotomised after 3. Sure, make normal easy or whatever, but hard mode not being hard kinda defeats the object of the mode. Kiwami was really the only other game to even try, then that was rolled back again for 6 and Kiwami 2...

Oct 25, 2017
just finished this. so glad I didn't skip it or anything like that. I'd heard it's one of the weaker Yakuza games, but something that wasn't clear from the outset was that *it's still a Yakuza game* (and way, way better than Yakuza Kiwami). There are some goofy plot developments here and there, and not every sidequest is a slam dunk, but when it hits cruising altitude it's a joy to play.

I think Y2: Kiwami had higher highs, but overall I probably prefer this game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
just finished this. so glad I didn't skip it or anything like that. I'd heard it's one of the weaker Yakuza games, but something that wasn't clear from the outset was that *it's still a Yakuza game* (and way, way better than Yakuza Kiwami). There are some goofy plot developments here and there, and not every sidequest is a slam dunk, but when it hits cruising altitude it's a joy to play.
Darn straight (though I'd also mention its ace soundtrack!). I'm just happy we have a definitive English release of the game now after how badly they messed up parts of the PS3 localisation.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Me: oh god there are too many games to be playing I don't have the time

also me: why thefuck can't I play yakuza 4 yet
Code:
Yakuza 3 Remastered, available on August 20, 2019.
Yakuza 4 Remastered, available on October 29, 2019.
Yakuza 5 Remastered, available on February 11, 2020.
One month is a very long wait. Just recently completed the story.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A month wait isn't too bad, but then again its taken me 20 years to get Shenmue 3 and took 3 years to get Yakuza 5 in English!

I'm not actually sure I'll dip into another Yakuza game this year. After finishing 5 again I might just wait and import 7 in January instead, though I still really want to replay Kenzan...

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Need help to actually use a heat move, blade finisher.

Name: Heavy Maul: Fly Swatter
Description:
While holding a hammer, press Triangle near an enemy and a wall.

Tried toy hammer and collapsible hammer on an enemy near the wall.
Only able to trigger Essence of hammer (Hit 3 times).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Need help to actually use a heat move, blade finisher.

Name: Heavy Maul: Fly Swatter
Description:
While holding a hammer, press Triangle near an enemy and a wall.

Tried toy hammer and collapsible hammer on an enemy near the wall.
Only able to trigger Essence of hammer (Hit 3 times).

That move (and another Hammer heat move, triangle when enemy is laying on the floor) require you to buy a special moves book from the Pawn shop I believe. There's also a couple of sword/Kali Stick heat moves that also require separate moves books to unlock. The books are called something like "Musashi" something... basically its a way that they reuse Kenzan heat moves (where you play as Musashi) in a main game, its a really cool little nod for Kenzan.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
That move (and another Hammer heat move, triangle when enemy is laying on the floor) require you to buy a special moves book from the Pawn shop I believe. There's also a couple of sword/Kali Stick heat moves that also require separate moves books to unlock. The books are called something like "Musashi" something... basically its a way that they reuse Kenzan heat moves (where you play as Musashi) in a main game, its a really cool little nod for Kenzan.
I bought all the books from Kamiyama and did all of the blade finisher moves except the hammer. The only thing I suspect is the so called wall I am using.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I bought all the books from Kamiyama and did all of the blade finisher moves except the hammer. The only thing I suspect is the so called wall I am using.
Strange. Could have sworn the book was at the Pawn shop. Definitely try against different walls. I can't seem to see anything to suggest that it has any other requirements to work, it always just worked once I unlocked it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if a lot of people are just waiting for the physical release for 3-5; it seems like there just wasn't much fanfare for 3's solo release.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if a lot of people are just waiting for the physical release for 3-5; it seems like there just wasn't much fanfare for 3's solo release.

The fact they can't be bought individually will play it's part. I can imagine a number of people haven't played three due to it only being available physically but are holding out.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Makes you wonder what the physical/digital split on a game series like Yakuza is. I grabbed the collection digital (to support the series) and will be getting it physically in Feb as well for the heck of it. But I've not really contributed to this thread as I've already played through the remasters, and can't see me replaying them again just yet!
Still, not long until 4's remaster is released, I'll be interested to see if any tiny changes to the script are present.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact they can't be bought individually will play it's part. I can imagine a number of people haven't played three due to it only being available physically but are holding out.

Yeah I have no idea why they would only sell it as a collection digitally, they should have offered the games a la carte.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Makes you wonder what the physical/digital split on a game series like Yakuza is. I grabbed the collection digital (to support the series) and will be getting it physically in Feb as well for the heck of it. But I've not really contributed to this thread as I've already played through the remasters, and can't see me replaying them again just yet!

Still, not long until 4's remaster is released, I'll be interested to see if any tiny changes to the script are present.

I was going to give digital a miss, but people are selling codes for more than half of the RRP.

Yeah I have no idea why they would only sell it as a collection digitally, they should have offered the games a la carte.

Money is the only possible reason.

However, they could have priced each at £20 & still been fine.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Strange. Could have sworn the book was at the Pawn shop. Definitely try against different walls. I can't seem to see anything to suggest that it has any other requirements to work, it always just worked once I unlocked it.
Finally done the Blade finisher move, Heavy Maul: Fly Swatter. Triggered by using Collapsible Hammer and Kiryu facing an enemy where that enemy back is near a column with a neon signboard. Couldn't trigger using Toy Hammer.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finally done the Blade finisher move, Heavy Maul: Fly Swatter. Triggered by using Collapsible Hammer and Kiryu facing an enemy where that enemy back is near a column with a neon signboard. Couldn't trigger using Toy Hammer.
Interesting. I doubt the neon signboard column thing had any bearing on it what so ever, as its a move that works against any wall (or it should, like in later games). I'll have to take a look myself when I next replay Yakuza 3 as I'm intrigued to see if its bugged or something as to why it'd only work in very specific circumstances.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Took me long enough, but I'm finally getting back to this wonderful game.

Just finished the curry segment with Izumi and the kids. That's some very endearing stuff.
Couldn't be happier to be back at the orphanage.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I have $50 burning a hole in my PSN wallet and I'm really debating whether to grab the Yakuza Remastered Collection or to just go with Judgment.

For context, I have played through 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, and 6 and enjoyed all of them to varying degrees.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Lads, quick question. I 'accidentally' completed Chapter 5 without doing a single sub-story (after the dudes in black attacked me I didn't realise the city opened up to me completely). I am now in Chapter six...can I still do the Substories activated in Chapter 5?

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Lads, quick question. I 'accidentally' completed Chapter 5 without doing a single sub-story (after the dudes in black attacked me I didn't realise the city opened up to me completely). I am now in Chapter six...can I still do the Substories activated in Chapter 5?

Yes. Even if you miss some you can do the ones you miss in Premium Adventure mode that unlocks after you finish the game.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. Even if you miss some you can do the ones you miss in Premium Adventure mode that unlocks after you finish the game.

Cheers. I thought that might be case but I wasn't sure since in the previous entries I don't think I ever completed a chapter without doing substories.

How are the Kamurocho substories compared to 1 & 2? Good? No weird deadnaming of trans people?