• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I've always liked the Yakuza games. I bought the two first for ps2, I imported Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan and I've played most games in the series. Due to having to small kinds, I had to wait until I was alone for a weekend before playing Yakuza 6. This situation made the game perfect for me though
  • It's about being a father
  • The story is just perfect Yakuza-styled over the top awesomeness
  • It looks great, and keeps reminding me about my trip to Japan
  • I love the gameplay
  • I was able to finish it during a weekend
12.jpg

Although I hear people rave about the excellent Yakuza 0, I feel more people should play Yakuza 6. It's among the very best in the series, and shows me why I even love videogames in the first place. Highly recommended!

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
When I think back on the game, the first thing that comes to mind is when you chat to and help those people solve their issues in that bar in Onomichi. It's just so wholesome, and whilst I didn't think "wow this is amazing" back then, it's definitely left an impression on me more than the rest of the game. That and the baby being thrown around scene of course.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
When I think back on the game, the first thing that comes to mind is when you chat to and help those people solve their issues in that bar in Onomichi. It's just so wholesome, and whilst I didn't think "wow this is amazing" back then, it's definitely left an impression on me more than the rest of the game. That and the baby being thrown around scene of course.
That scene... As a father it was kinda horrifying, but as a scene in a game, it was kinda "everything awesome about the Yakuza games in one scene" :)

Gigaryu

Jan 14, 2018
It really is. It was not just about the new engine, the story was compeling and the characters are as good as ever for a Yakuza game. Onimichi was great as well. Maybe it's not the most popular opinion but it's my favorite Yakuza game.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The general vibe and small town feel of Onomichi is unlike anything else the series had featured prior. Whereas some others found the locale to be dull, I really liked it, especially the lonely nights where all but a few businesses were closed, and the sounds to be heard were ambient ones... the train whizzing by too, of course.

Baby throwing scene is the perfect blend of Yakuza's iconic brand of drama and silliness, by the way. It's both compelling and hilarious.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly has some of my favourite set pieces in the series. Characters as well, gives me Yakuza 3 vibes with the new location and new Yakuza faction. Plus Beat Takeshi just plain rocks in the game (he gets a couple of surprisingly humorous moments). Oh, and the soundtrack absolutely rocks, my favourite aside from Yakuza 3's out of the entire series (Ishin being my next favourite after that).

Issues I had with the game though mainly stem from engine growing pains - some missing areas, missing moves, almost 0 weapons but the base game still played well, albeit a bit stripped back (Kiwami fixed almost all of these issues though). Also, no matter what, I can't agree with the choice of final boss for the final Kiryu game ever.

Ending wise
I'm still somewhat conflicted at a couple of points, as Kiryu's choices don't really match up with the threat presented in 6 - as the whole thing was a coincidence that Haruka and Kiryu get pulled in, Kiryu's motives for disappearing though aren't baseless, if you remember Yakuza 5's basic story - which really is Kiryu getting dragged into a huge gang war because of his notoriety within the underworld.
However, the scene with him walking away as Haruto takes his first steps gets to me every time. Amazingly directed scene and literally the perfect way to end Kiryu's series.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The baby toss scene is one of gaming's greatest achievements. I was smiling so much from the ridiculousness of it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
My number 2 after 0. Absolutely loved it, the setting, the characters, the story and the shorter length (though still like 50 hours for me), it was wonderful.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
When I played it, my son was about the same age as Haruto. So, as you can imagine...

The ending absolutely wrecked me.

I don't care that, due to it being the first game based on the Dragon Engine, it's lighter in content than the other games in the series and the combat suffered.

To me, it's the second best Yakuza game, right after 0. An incredible title, and another excellent reason to get into this series.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
OP, after beating the game, go to the karaoke place and select the new unlocked song called Hands. Prepare some tissues, though, as it's quite emotional.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had the After Hours Premium Edition for almost a year now and I still haven't played it as I'm waiting on the rest of the remasters to come out.

I would have skipped right to 6 after playing Kiwami 2 but I'm often told that Yakuza 5 is essential to play before playing 6.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably my favorite of the current PS4/PC Yakuzas. Substories are the one thing 0 beats 6 in (and obviously framerate) for me, but otherwise 6 is my favorite.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought it was amazing. Granted I only beat Kiwami before and went straight to Y6 afterwards, but I still enjoyed my time with it.

On a side note, 3 students from Onomichi University came to my school early this year for a month from February-March. I should have bought and played the game before then so I could have joked about visiting Onomichi before. One of them plays Taiko or something during the festivals, so I might finally go visit them in January.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Also, no matter what, I can't agree with the choice of final boss for the final Kiryu game ever.

I didn't like it when I first played it, but now I think it's pretty fitting.

The Dragon of Dojima, a self-made man who rose from being an orphan to becoming the old-school yakuza ideal, versus a stuck-up baby man playing yakuza with all the privilege of wealth and a fancy tattoo. Yakuza's always been about clashes of ideals so in the end it felt right even if the villain never got much buildup outside the final chapters.

Onclemol

Oct 12, 2019
France
My favorite juste after zero.
My only grip with 6 is that the battle system is more boring than usual. It lacks some variety.
But the story and the setting are excellent.

KingT

Oct 30, 2017
The best three in the series that left the most impression on me are in no particular order are 0,5 and 6.

Not to say that the others are bad in fact they are all great.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it when I first played it, but now I think it's pretty fitting.

The Dragon of Dojima, a self-made man who rose from being an orphan to becoming the old-school yakuza ideal, versus a stuck-up baby man playing yakuza with all the privilege of wealth and a fancy tattoo. Yakuza's always been about clashes of ideals so in the end it felt right even if the villain never got much buildup outside the final chapters.

Don't get me wrong, all of that makes sense and works within the story. But... its Kiryu's last game. You don't use that for the last game, kinda felt anticlimatic especially when 0-3 all had insanely strong finale's.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Have this game for more than 6 months now. Was about to start it after I finish Kiwami 2 but then the remasters were announced. Planning to play it once I am done with the remasters.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
I just got goosebumps thinking of the ending lmao what a incredible game—so glad the Kiryu saga ended up like this. Also strong performance from Kitano & the main antagonist
The best three in the series that left the most impression on me are in no particular order are 0,5 and 6.

Not to say that the others are bad in fact they are all great.
Exactly the same here

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the combat system was severely lacking compared to the games that came before it, but I didn't care so much at the time, and especially now. The story really pulled me through the game, and as over the top it gets at moments, the sense of family and the interpersonal bonds between the characters has been very impactful and has stayed with me.

I just remembered the Clan Creator. Goddamn, that was awful.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite Yakuza game with 0 (and Judgment if it counts). I loved Onomichi, the story and characters were great, the minigames were fun. I liked the Clan Creator (I really hated what they did with it in Kiwami 2 though). I like the weight the new engine brought to battles, and wasn't bothered by the lack of moves in the slightest ; it was the most fun Yakuza to play for me, along with 0.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Oh wow! Loving the positive impressions.
My first yakuza was 0 (the turkey gif sold me), then I played kiwami 1 (not as good) and kiwami 2 which was excellent. But by the end, I sensed fatigue so haven't touched 6 yet.

Found it lying in a shop for a tenner, could not resist.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it!

It has some of the best side stories/side content in the game and I love Onomichi and it's inhabitants. The combat isn't the best but I let it slide as it is on par with some of the older games in terms of depth so I dealt with it that way.

If this is the last true Yakuza game then I am fine stopping here. I guess it is a bittersweet ending for me in real life as well. The last true Yakuza ended up being a good one so I guess it is a fine stopping point for me as a fan as well. For now atleast.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best Yakuza games, if not the very best.
Besides the handling of some old characters, I loved everything. The transition to next gen and the new combat system felt so gritty and...powerful, I guess.
The story was so hype. The entire first part with Kiryu in Hiroshima when noone knows who he is was perfectly done. Also the new characters were just masterful - especially Nagumo which is one of the best written characters in gaming as far as I'm concerned.
The side activities were great, even though it had less substories the amount of content felt just right. And I loved the first part of the ending so much...

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Finished in a weekend??!?

I usually need months to finish a Yakuza game
I used over a year to finish God of War. I have two daughters, 5 and 1 year old. So when I knew I was going to be home alone all weekend, I knew this was my chance, (I finished God of War the friday, and then Yakuza 6 by playing 12+ hours x 2 days.). An amazing feeling!

Oh wow! Loving the positive impressions.
My first yakuza was 0 (the turkey gif sold me), then I played kiwami 1 (not as good) and kiwami 2 which was excellent. But by the end, I sensed fatigue so haven't touched 6 yet.

Found it lying in a shop for a tenner, could not resist.
Take your time. When you feel that Yakuza "thirst", go for it!

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I'm still working on Yakuza 0, which has taken me like 120 hours to get through and which I've been playing on and off for what seems like 2 years now.

the thought of powering through to get to 6 is downright mortifying.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still working on Yakuza 0, which has taken me like 120 hours to get through and which I've been playing on and off for what seems like 2 years now.

God of war took me a year to finish, so I see your point. I had a whole weekend home alone though.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yakuza 6 is one of my favorite games ever. Coming off of 5 which I disliked most of, going into 6 I was blown away by how good it was.

And a far better finale for Kiryu's story than I expected.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you OP. Yakuza 6 is my favorite Yakuza game. Best Kiryu, Great Story, Awesome cast, a lot of memorable scenes, the new engine, and the gang mini-game. Yakuza 6 was all the package

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favourite in the series. Onomichi is great, side characters are fun, and the mini games are probably overall the best in the series.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
The intro after fighting that guy and going back to the baby melts my heart.

I'm going to miss Kiryu

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Loved this game so much. It released at the perfect time for me and had the kinda themes, setting and tone that I seek for in games.
One of the best games I've played this gen for sure.

Edit: One of the best soundtracks in the series too

Last edited:

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. I thought it was a fantastic send-off for Kiryu.

I really hope they don't bring Kiryu back at any point, even as a joke. Sure he's still alive, but he's gone. He's done. He's finally, finally out. I kept expecting some cheesy cameo in Judgment and I'm glad they didn't do it. I hope they maintain that self-control for the rest of the series.

Though I would be more than OK with a Zero Two. There are still about 6 years between the end of Zero and the inciting incident of the first game where they can play around with Kiryu/Majima/maybe someone else. Or maybe they could do a game about Akiyama in '05/'06 when he has to build himself back up after his first downfall.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. I thought it was a fantastic send-off for Kiryu.

I really hope they don't bring Kiryu back at any point, even as a joke. Sure he's still alive, but he's gone. He's done. He's finally, finally out. I kept expecting some cheesy cameo in Judgment and I'm glad they didn't do it. I hope they maintain that self-control for the rest of the series.

Though I would be more than OK with a Zero Two. There are still about 6 years between the end of Zero and the inciting incident of the first game where they can play around with Kiryu/Majima/maybe someone else. Or maybe they could do a game about Akiyama in '05/'06 when he has to build himself back up after his first downfall.

what does worry me is that RGGS has already talked about bringing Kiryu back in a sequel. At this point I just want him gone for a few games, and if they do insist on bringing him back (which I'm against) I want him to be a surprise (won't happen either, they'll promote the crap out of his return).
Its actually one of the issues I have with 4 - him showing up was already known, imagine 3 ending on a cliffhanger and his boss fight against Saejima was a legit surprise. It'd have been epic.

If Majima is used in another prequel, he's gotta be himself - as in he's gotta be crazy. Not watered down like in 0. I want him like in Dead Souls, or don't bother using him at all. As for Akiyama, it would be a good point to introduce how he learned to fight (not covered in 4) and his rise to having Sky Finance. That's a good idea actually - revealing that part of his back story and bringing Hana back. I'm certainly on board with that idea!

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
I've played all the mainline Yakuza games (0-6) and 6 is my favourite, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion outside of Era. I think 5 was the point when both the writing and the localisation really started to become something special and 6 refined it even further.

6 trimmed the fat with regards to side content and I think that's what allowed RGG to write consistently weighty and engaging story arcs, compared to all of the previous games which had varying degrees of fluff, cheap laughs and generic plot points and substories.

I post in several Yakuza communities online and the overwhelming consensus seems to be that 6 is crap because there's no pachinko or air hockey or some shit and there's only one protagonist, also,
Haruka got pregnant at the age of 18, how dare she?

6 has the best story, looks the best, has the most consistent characterisation of reoccurring characters and as far as I remember, isn't tarnished by any homophobic, transphobic, fat shaming or any other kind of prejudiced substories which is pretty cool.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

That's one of the best parts of the game. I absolutely love Onomichi and I think it's the best area in the series that I've played.

Yakuza 6 really is fantastic. I love the over the top soap opera story and characters. There's so many memorably storylines in this game too, like the baseball one.

I like the combat a lot more than other games as well. The physics based system >>>> old school beatemup combat.

Yakuza 6 is the best Yakuza.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I post in several Yakuza communities online and the overwhelming consensus seems to be that 6 is crap because there's no pachinko or air hockey or some shit and there's only one protagonist, also,
Haruka got pregnant at the age of 18, how dare she?

There are some technical aspects that are disliked - certain mini games being cut, the combat, the frame rate (this one I agree with), lack of weapons, lack of heat moves. But really aside from the frame rate I'm cool with it as they moved to a new engine and it understandably was missing some stuff (and Kiwami 2 basically brought most of that stuff back, so not a big deal for me), it did some things better (no loading, amazing lighting, textures, even prettier graphics) and some really awesome mini games (perhaps the best arcade in the series, though Judge Eyes and RGG7 will give both a run for its money).

However, the other reason is one you mentioned above. Its absolutely why certain people had an issue with it, and its creepy to be honest. I kinda like how they portray Haruka as not perfect,
where she goes against her mothers wishes (her dying words were "don't run") and her life kinda spirals out of control for a while. She's not perfect, Kiryu's not perfect and it made for an interesting story. But people really didn't like the fact that Haruka was no longer pure...

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like an outlier because I hated it. I didn't enjoy the combat or sidequests compared to Yakuza 0. I had little fun slogging through Clan Creator (while the idea is such fun).

The story's conclusion leaned on the bad kind of laughable revelation after a number of boring leads. The small town pacing didn't deliver in creating a compelling story, but sold the ragtag Onomichi crew as a bit lovable. That made for a good foil for Kiryu at the cost of almost everything else in the story. I was rather disappointed in it.

The ending scene is a heartwarming finale for Kiryu though.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

I love playing minigames once in a while but this real estate manager shit does not interest me at all. I found out the massive benefits you get from going through it but fuck this I think I'm just gonna power through the story now

Yakuza interests me more for the soap opera plot and brawling anyways.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
There are some technical aspects that are disliked - certain mini games being cut, the combat, the frame rate (this one I agree with), lack of weapons, lack of heat moves. But really aside from the frame rate I'm cool with it as they moved to a new engine and it understandably was missing some stuff (and Kiwami 2 basically brought most of that stuff back, so not a big deal for me), it did some things better (no loading, amazing lighting, textures, even prettier graphics) and some really awesome mini games (perhaps the best arcade in the series, though Judge Eyes and RGG7 will give both a run for its money).

However, the other reason is one you mentioned above. Its absolutely why certain people had an issue with it, and its creepy to be honest. I kinda like how they portray Haruka as not perfect,
where she goes against her mothers wishes (her dying words were "don't run") and her life kinda spirals out of control for a while. She's not perfect, Kiryu's not perfect and it made for an interesting story. But people really didn't like the fact that Haruka was no longer pure...
This is just my opinion but I feel like there was some foreshadowing going on in 5 that explains Haruka's actions in 6.
Kiryu is persuaded to leave sunshine orphanage and work away under the premise that it is in the kids best interests and Ms. Park confiding in Haruka that she had an abortion for the sake of her career only to regret it later, then treating Haruka like a daughter before her death.

I think these two things directly inform Haruka's behaviour in 6 and I personally felt like this was the first time in the series since the end of Yakuza 1 that any of the characters experienced any real growth.

The thing about Haruka not being pure is silly (I know it's not you that said this) what happens to her isn't ideal, but in the broader scope of things it's pretty mundane. It's real life and that's what I found so satisfying about the game as a whole, it wasn't just crazy shit, it was normal, real human situations with a thick layer of crazy-shit icing.