• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
The game is staring at me from my shelf.

But I first need to buy Kiwami 2 and the Yakuza Collection next year. So... I'll finally play it somewhere in 2020.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
If Majima is used in another prequel, he's gotta be himself - as in he's gotta be crazy. Not watered down like in 0. I want him like in Dead Souls, or don't bother using him at all

But... that's who Majima really ''is''.

Majima's mad dog persona is just a facade he puts on just to be more in touch with himself as a person. This was pretty well established by 0 and expanded upon on Kiwami 2.

There are certain moments in Kiwami 2 that he brakes out of that character and shows his true self for a little bit. His encounter with Makoto would be one and another is the final fight with Iibuchi.

When he rushes him for the first time and the camera does a close up of the icy glower on his face. Reminding us the audience that mad dog of shimano is just an act and in that short moment we got another glimpe at the real Majima.

Really, really well done.
I started with 0 and i kind of like the subdued version of who he is. i kinda want him to be both in a way like he is calm cool and collected but at the drop of a needle he goes batshit of the rails.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see a lot of people saying it's their favorite after 0, mine as well.
Yeah, it's lighter in content, but it has some of the best sidequests in the entire series and it was great to 100% a Yakuza without much grinding. The only thing I didn't like was how they handled Haruka, which still doesn't make any sense, other than that it was an excellent send off.
Shun Oguri was amazing (best boss fight), Takeshi Kitano was amazing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see a lot of people saying it's their favorite after 0, mine as well.
Yeah, it's lighter in content, but it has some of the best sidequests in the entire series and it was great to 100% a Yakuza without much grinding. The only thing I didn't like was how they handled Haruka, which still doesn't make any sense, other than that it was an excellent send off.
Shun Oguri was amazing (best boss fight), Takeshi Kitano was amazing.
Do you mean platinum the game (not 100% the game)? As to 100% this game (not plat, do everything in the completion list) its without a doubt the most grindy of the series, which is why its a relief you only have to do a tiny amount of it to plat it. I gave up on my 100% run when it turns out it'd take hours of grinding the fishing mini game just to hit max rank, which itself is completely pointless as you get so little XP and literally get nothing for hitting max rank. Likewise a couple of
Sadly the story is a bit hit and miss in the next games considering what you said. They have stupidity due to twists and all that but their stories are really entertaining still due to the great acting and cutscenes/bosses. Especially 5 and 4 (4 would have been great if not for one stupid twist).

6 was something else though. Really amazing story.

Only the one silly twist for 4 ;) I still think that game was rushed at points, as it shows with certain characters. Plus the story just goes weirdly crazy right at the end of Kiryu's arc. Which is especially strange because unlike 3 or 5 which stay on the same beat all game, 4 goes along nicely until they really just start doing really strange things one after another. Its hilarious in a silly kind of way, but still manages to be badass thanks to 3/4 of the final boss fights.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
6 was incredible, and I've only played 0 and Kiwami 1. I'm going through Kiwami 2 now and can't wait for the collection next year. It's such a great saga, and I always love following characters through their lives. I had the same feeling with Ezio from AC.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly the story is a bit hit and miss in the next games considering what you said. They have stupidity due to twists and all that but their stories are really entertaining still due to the great acting and cutscenes/bosses. Especially 5 and 4 (4 would have been great if not for one stupid twist).

6 was something else though. Really amazing story.
And to confirm: in order to make the end of 6 "something else" one has to play 3-5 right?

6 was incredible, and I've only played 0 and Kiwami 1. I'm going through Kiwami 2 now and can't wait for the collection next year. It's such a great saga, and I always love following characters through their lives. I had the same feeling with Ezio from AC.

wait what? Did you feel that you missed out at all assuming they bring back memories of old characters and what not?

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Bought it day 1 for ps4 and my copy is still sealed lol. Waiting for 3-5 remasters to hit pc before I dive in. Hopefully Yakuza 6 also comes to pc by that point. Been having an incredible time catching up on this series.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I liked 6 but it was easily my least favorite story wise.

Remember all those characters you love from previous games? Well they're not really in this one except Akiyama for a little bit.

Know how Haruka is wise beyond her years? Well
she gets pregnant after a one time thing with a Yakuza and has a baby off in secret.

Now I just hope we get a Majima led game for Yakuza 8.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
wait what? Did you feel that you missed out at all assuming they bring back memories of old characters and what not?
Ah, I don't think so. Honestly, most of the reoccurring characters are absent, except Akiyama (from 4) and Date (from 1), who still don't have that large of a role. It's definitely more about Kiryu and Haruka, in which case, Yakuza 1 is a must to establish their relationship. There is a Reminisce section, where you can read key events from the previous games too. Though there's some substories where previous knowledge is definitely part of the charm.

Really, you'll spend most of the time with new characters, get attached to them, and say goodbye. I didn't feel hampered at all without the other games. You should know though, I'm the type who doesn't mind seeing the ending and out of chronological order. If you are, you might feel differently.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I don't think so. Honestly, most of the reoccurring characters are absent, except Akiyama (from 4) and Date (from 1), who still don't have that large of a role. It's definitely more about Kiryu and Haruka, in which case, Yakuza 1 is a must to establish their relationship. There is a Reminisce section, where you can read key events from the previous games too. Though there's some substories where previous knowledge is definitely part of the charm.

Really, you'll spend most of the time with new characters, get attached to them, and say goodbye. I didn't feel hampered at all without the other games. You should know though, I'm the type who doesn't mind seeing the ending and out of chronological order. If you are, you might feel differently.
Thanks and especially for the last sentence. I believe I am different in that regard which probably means I have to play the other games first (which is a suuuuper daunting task).

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it day 1 for ps4 and my copy is still sealed lol. Waiting for 3-5 remasters to hit pc before I dive in. Hopefully Yakuza 6 also comes to pc by that point. Been having an incredible time catching up on this series.
I wounder if thats a jan/feb release tbh. we got kawamie 2 in may.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean platinum the game (not 100% the game)? As to 100% this game (not plat, do everything in the completion list) its without a doubt the most grindy of the series, which is why its a relief you only have to do a tiny amount of it to plat it. I gave up on my 100% run when it turns out it'd take hours of grinding the fishing mini game just to hit max rank, which itself is completely pointless as you get so little XP and literally get nothing for hitting max rank. Likewise a couple of

Yeah, I meant the platinum.

I actually liked that there was no red carpet of all the past characters, it's just how real life goes and Kiryu is and will always be a loner,

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the 2nd worst entry after 3 but all of the Yakuzas are great so it's still a great game in the end.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Now I just hope we get a Majima led game for Yakuza 8.
Ichiban is the main character for the series going forward so that probably won't happen, they'll continue fleshing him out instead of just bringing Majima back yet again. Plus if any legacy character should get a game to himself, its Akiyama.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this on a whim even though Y0 is the only mainline Yakuza game I've beaten. Loved my time with it. Really like how the side characters grow on me as I played through the game. Thought that small Yakuza family in Onomichi is a bunch of jerks in the beginning but they slowly grew on me as I played through the game.

Will start a replay once I've beaten 1-5.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
h yeah I agree on that. It was always jarring to see Majima in 1 and 2 compared to Majima in 4 and 5. Yakuza 0 bridged the two perfectly.

I think Kiryu is the reason for why "it" slips in the later games.
Yup. Dead Souls did it right. 0 Majima was a cool character, but I personally don't buy the whole "its a facade" excuse when the actual writers and Nagoshi admitted in interviews that they only changed his personality in 0 because they didn't think audiences would want a murderer as a playable character. So yeah, gimme cannon Mad Dog Majima, not Mopey Pup Majima in the next game please!

Yeah Mad Dog was the original canon Majima. It made sense to soften him up for an origin story where he'd be playable, but then he got way more popular after the franchise's newfound success in western countries, so now it's kind of a part of the character forever.

But if you ask me, the reason Majima softened up a tad in Yakuza 4 and 5 was because of Saejima. Their relationship was a major element of both games, as well as other events of Majima's younger days. On top of that, Majima's getting up there by 4 and 5 and is probably taking on way more responsibilities as one of the Tojo Clan's main bosses. I think there's a scene at the end of Yakuza 3 or 4 that sort of zooms in on Majima's face on the roof of some building (Millennium Tower?) and he makes some comment signifying his decision to take on the role of one of the main bosses. It's as if there's a difference between "Leopard Jacket Majima" and "Suit & Red Tie Majima".

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Mad Dog was the original canon Majima. It made sense to soften him up for an origin story where he'd be playable, but then he got way more popular after the franchise's newfound success in western countries, so now it's kind of a part of the character forever.

But if you ask me, the reason Majima softened up a tad in Yakuza 4 and 5 was because of Saejima. Their relationship was a major element of both games, as well as other events of Majima's younger days. On top of that, Majima's getting up there by 4 and 5 and is probably taking on way more responsibilities as one of the Tojo Clan's main bosses. I think there's a scene at the end of Yakuza 3 or 4 that sort of zooms in on Majima's face on the roof of some building (Millennium Tower?) and he makes some comment signifying his decision to take on the role of one of the main bosses. It's as if there's a difference between "Leopard Jacket Majima" and "Suit & Red Tie Majima".

Saejima definitely had a huge part to play. I feel the scene that shows this best is the one in Yakuza 5 where he and Saejima are eating BBQ. You could tell he is showing his true personality without holding back.

The biggest reason I think Kiryu had a part in making him softer (atleast before Saejima shows up) is that Kiryu has this quality where people around him become much better people the more they get to know him. Mine, the Yakuza clan in Y5, most of the allies in Yakuza 6, Rikiya and his clan etc all changed once they got to know Kiryu. Mine himself says he wish he got to know Kiryu much earlier in life.

It makes me wonder how Ichiban will compare to Kiryu after everything is done. He seems like a lovable idiot so far and that is very different from every Yakuza playable character so far.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I agree with this. I really like his interactions with Saejima in 4 and 5. They get some excellent dialogue together and helps flesh out both characters nicely.

madkiller

May 29, 2018
My third favorite yakuza after 5 and 4. I love the smaller town narrative and the new combat system was more than welcome at that point in the series. I can't wait to see what Nagoshi and his team have cooked up for the 7th entry.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
I personally was disappointed by the "big twist", and Onomichi, while lovely, was a bit empty.

Otherwise, it was a wonderful game. Perfect ending for Kiryu, for me.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I personally was disappointed by the "big twist", and Onomichi, while lovely, was a bit empty.

Otherwise, it was a wonderful game. Perfect ending for Kiryu, for me.
I thought it was going to have a battle on top of it but alas, nothing happened.

Oh well, I was very satisfied at the end of the day. Just like you said, perfect ending.