• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Man I finally got through every mainline game (played in release order) and im having a fun runthrough kiwami 1 now as a victory lap. Thinking about starting Kenzan or Dead Souls soon but I don't know for sure. What are peoples thoughts on those two? Is kenzan still interested despite needing a guide? Is the framerate of dead souls bearable?

I kinda wanna play the panther games on the psp but i havent seen any guides for them anywhere :( its a shame because its got that naganuma soundtrack and kitties like 6 did!

Kenzan is a blast to play even if your using a guide. Assuming the next new Yakuza game (Shin) is not released at the end of the year, I'm replaying it so I can finally fight Amon this time (missed the bastard last time). Really looking forward to revisiting it. Funnily enough I'm planning on doing another Dead Souls run as well, just because its been ages, I love Majima and Ryuuji in that game, and even though it has its issues, its still a fun Yakuza game. But yeah, it does have frame rate issues, mainly with big masses of enemies when you use a grenade/explosive. Its been a while since I played the game though so I forget just how bad it gets.

Guide wise for the PSP games:
http://kurohyo2.riroa.com/index.html

The above guide is one I used, and has links to the entire series of guides (so everything from RGG1 to Judge Eyes). They serve me well, so its worth noting the PSP games are actually incredibly good about marking everything you need on the map and mini map (its actually the first game in the series to do so, beating out RGG5). So if your mainly doing a story run with side stories (and looking for the cats) you don't need a guide, except if your stuck on a strange side story or two (most are really straight forward, one or two caught me out the first time).

And while its certainly no match for a proper story guide, this interview (I think there's one for PSP1 as well) give you a very general overview for the plot on PSP2:
http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/rgg/kurohyo2.html
Plus its just a really interesting insight into how Nagoshi and co designed the plot of the game (its hands down one of my favourites in the series).

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kenzan is a blast to play even if your using a guide. Assuming the next new Yakuza game (Shin) is not released at the end of the year, I'm replaying it so I can finally fight Amon this time (missed the bastard last time). Really looking forward to revisiting it. Funnily enough I'm planning on doing another Dead Souls run as well, just because its been ages, I love Majima and Ryuuji in that game, and even though it has its issues, its still a fun Yakuza game. But yeah, it does have frame rate issues, mainly with big masses of enemies when you use a grenade/explosive. Its been a while since I played the game though so I forget just how bad it gets.

Guide wise for the PSP games:
http://kurohyo2.riroa.com/index.html

The above guide is one I used, and has links to the entire series of guides (so everything from RGG1 to Judge Eyes). They serve me well, so its worth noting the PSP games are actually incredibly good about marking everything you need on the map and mini map (its actually the first game in the series to do so, beating out RGG5). So if your mainly doing a story run with side stories (and looking for the cats) you don't need a guide, except if your stuck on a strange side story or two (most are really straight forward, one or two caught me out the first time).

And while its certainly no match for a proper story guide, this interview (I think there's one for PSP1 as well) give you a very general overview for the plot on PSP2:
http://fftranslations.atspace.co.uk/rgg/kurohyo2.html
Plus its just a really interesting insight into how Nagoshi and co designed the plot of the game (its hands down one of my favourites in the series).

Oh wow! I'm excited for Kenzan then, I know its unlikely but i hope it gets an hd port like 3-5. They could do it with dead souls too and then maybe the framerate wouldnt be a problem lol.

and oh my god thank you so much for the guide! def saving that. Now that i hear such high praise for the story im super excited!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Souls ironically, despite being the least likely to receive an HD remaster would be the one that would benefit the most from it. No doubt the frame rate would improve a ton, and it'd be a better game for it. Tweak some of the controls more and it'd be better. Not great mind you, but I'd certainly get more fun out of it, despite having some issues with the action in the game, its still got a huge ton of content as you'd expect, so its still fun in that respect, some of the side stories (Majima's especially) are really well done (really funny)

As for the PSP games, they are kinda episodic in plot form, so its like watching a TV show in a way - each chapter having a different baddie and a over arching story is also present, which ramps up later in the game. The second also follows on from the first nicely, and I really like how they handle the main character in the second game. As usual though, especially for the second game its the characters that really make the games story. Makes me want to replay it...

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
theosmeo

I like Kenzan quite a bit, not as much as gachapin and shadowman16 but it's more than worth playing. I personally used KHH's english sub videos for the cutscenes, which improved the experience quite a bit. https://youtu.be/TdBTABTfSFc

I don't see Ishin mentioned in your post, that you absolutely have to play. I'd say it's up there with the very best entries in the series. Play it after Kenzan though, since it's a vast technological leap.

Dead Souls ironically, despite being the least likely to receive an HD remaster would be the one that would benefit the most from it. .
Yep, hopefully it eventually gets a PC port.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah im definitely interested in ishin! Altho im going to try and be patient because the translation project looks very nice

Even if dead souls has flawed controls im super interested in how it plays just because i like new interpretations of established genres like tps. Speaking of tps i still need to play binary domain, yakuza team needs to stop making so many good, long, backlog-clogging games!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
eHewnp0.png

Wow, I forgot how close we are to Kiwami 2's PC release.

Interested to see how it performs on my PC, may end up upgrading.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there still no collectors edition for judgement announced ?

Last edited:

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Man I finally got through every mainline game (played in release order) and im having a fun runthrough kiwami 1 now as a victory lap. Thinking about starting Kenzan or Dead Souls soon but I don't know for sure. What are peoples thoughts on those two? Is kenzan still interested despite needing a guide? Is the framerate of dead souls bearable?

I kinda wanna play the panther games on the psp but i havent seen any guides for them anywhere :( its a shame because its got that naganuma soundtrack and kitties like 6 did!
Just play Kenzan already!!

What you will see in Kenzan

Kiryu beats a well know bandit Gomon.
goemon.jpg

Kiryu the first Kabuki actor in history.
hqdefault.jpg

Kiryu even flies in the sky.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu also becomes perhaps the first recorded person to meet Aliens in Kenzan. Kenzan has some fantastic side stories. I loved the Kabuki one, its one of the examples of where putting just a small amount of FMV in a side story amplifies how damn awesome it can be. I'm super annoyed I missed the flight one on my first playthrough (its the one bloody mission I missed). So I'll be 200% sure not to miss it when I replay the game soon.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see how they'd handle the whole child prostitute thing in Kenzan in English. It wouldn't be the easiest game to translate anyway with some of the old terms and such they use, but I'm sure some people would get all hot and bothered about some of Kenzan's themes... pity as its my most wanted remaster at this point.

Oh, and I cannot wait to see how Kiwami 2 turns out on Friday. First taste of Dragon Engine not held back by a consoles power. It should be grand.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
First time playing Kenzan and I have to say I'm shocked at the themes, child prostitution? Man that's dark. It's really good though, I love that there's no sequels and they have a game to tell a complete story with a main character, I love the differences in the characters, currently at chapter 7, the KHSubs youtube playlist is a godsend

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just play Kenzan already!!

What you will see in Kenzan

Kiryu beats a well know bandit Gomon.
goemon.jpg

Kiryu the first Kabuki actor in history.
hqdefault.jpg

Kiryu even flies in the sky.

THAT ALL SEEMS AMAZING lmaooooo

tempted to order it now but im also gunna be away from my ps3 over the summer hmmmmmmm its a tough one

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
We can only hope fans translation of Kenzan now...

Maybe some nice surprise with English Ishin in future later too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Both Ishin and Kenzan are getting fan patches/translations though Kenzan's was delayed by a year or so, and Ishin is an even bigger game. They'll hopefully come eventually...

As for Mahjong numerals, I remember having a heck of a time with that one set which doesn't use some sort of standard numeric patterns on the tiles, I had to use a reference guide for Ishin and 0 just to understand them, then it finally sank in after that. Now Shogi, I really wish they'd make the pieces look more individual because having them all shaped the same way just confuses the heck out of me.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Me yesterday: I should make sure my shiny, shrink-wrapped copy of Yakuza 0 works. I just want to try it out briefly. 🤔

*8ish hours later*

Me: Oh that's Yakuza all right.

I'll probably never touch the mahjong mini-game because I'm intimidated by it. Any way, on Chapter 2 and have been having too much fun beating up goons and doing substories. It looks like the game only gets better as more stuff opens up like other Yakuza games. While I prefer the seamless load times of the Dragon Engine coming from 6, the combat is so much better in 0. It's like a pseudo-DMC4/5 style with a mix of God Hand. I love little details like this in games. Kind of like how Batman's fighting style is unrefined in Batman: Arham Origins but changes in later games.

I also like how not even 30 mins into the game and Kiryu meets one of the characters who teaches him what becomes his brutal fighting style in later games.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Me yesterday: I should make sure my shiny, shrink-wrapped copy of Yakuza 0 works. I just want to try it out briefly. 🤔

*8ish hours later*

Me: Oh that's Yakuza all right.

I'll probably never touch the mahjong mini-game because I'm intimidated by it. Any way, on Chapter 2 and have been having too much fun beating up goons and doing substories. It looks like the game only gets better as more stuff opens up like other Yakuza games. While I prefer the seamless load times of the Dragon Engine coming from 6, the combat is so much better in 0. It's like a pseudo-DMC4/5 style with a mix of God Hand. I love little details like this in games. Kind of like how Batman's fighting style is unrefined in Batman: Arham Origins but changes in later games.

I also like how not even 30 mins into the game and Kiryu meets one of the characters who teaches him what becomes his brutal fighting style in later games.
It's definitely more arcade-y and in line with old school beat 'em ups.

Y0 also has a major subgame I enjoy even more than the Hostess Club managements.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
It's definitely more arcade-y and in line with old school beat 'em ups.

Y0 also has a major subgame I enjoy even more than the Hostess Club managements.
I like how Kiryu is like "I need to go back to my apartment" but then along the way, he sees some goons beating on a helpless dude, then a boyfriend who needs help and a bunch of other substories to help people out in. The dominatrix sub story and the band sub story had me howling The poor guy is never gonna get home because it's out to drink, play pool, help out a poor girl, eat some food, beat up some goons, play darts; rinse and repeat lol.

One thing I'll peg against this game: I don't like the darts, baseball, and karaoke mini games so far. They're much harder in this game. In 6 I scored 90s in karaoke easily and was able to hit home runs easily. In 0, it's been low 80s and one 88 so far. In addition, the reticle to swing the bat feels loose. It drives me nits.

But I think the game does a good job capturing the 80s culture. First thing I did when the linear section ended was check what shops are still in 6 that are in 0. Don Quixote and Ebisu Pawnshop are timeless because not much changes between the games other than NPC models. Plus knowing what happens to some of the characters in 0 later on is nice.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
So mad, my steam preload of Kiwami 2 didn't work right, so gotta re DL.

Probably will barely run on my toaster PC anyway

Edit: dragon engine at 60FPS is glorious!!!

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Alright y'all I'm back and I can post a small update on my Kiwami update. This shit has been getting so dang good. I got to chapter 11 and I've now see the fall of Nishi and it was very well done. Story has been ace so far (though I feel like it is a bit weaker then 0's) and I've been on my toes every chapter waiting to see what is next.

One more thing though I had to beat Goro at Pocket Car racing one more time to unlock the dragon ability tied to it. Which helped me reaffirm my one true belief about this series. That Pocket Car Racing fucking sucks.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Pocket Fighter slander... what madness is this ;)

One thing I'll peg against this game: I don't like the darts, baseball, and karaoke mini games so far. They're much harder in this game. In 6 I scored 90s in karaoke easily and was able to hit home runs easily. In 0, it's been low 80s and one 88 so far. In addition, the reticle to swing the bat feels loose. It drives me nits.

Karaoke feels nicer in the remaster of 3 and 4 as they have it run in 60FPS as opposed to the 30FPS it runs elsewhere (outside of PC of course), but the way Karaoke is just one long line of notes in 6 and Kiwami 2 certainly helps make it easier to read the notes. I can't say I've ever had any issues hitting 980+ on any of the songs though, bar maybe one or two in Kiwami and Dead Souls.

Darts in the earlier games lets you buy/acquire better darts by doing side stories and buying them in pawn shops. Well worth looking into doing this. I vastly prefer old darts from 3-Kiwami than Dragon Engine darts - I much prefer the way you use the right stick to precisely aim, adds a nice layer of challenge to it, its braindead levels of easy in the Dragon games I found, no challenge what so ever when I'm hitting ton 80's all day long.

Batting cages is an odd one. Its got a super loose crosshair so you gotta be really gentle with the aim, don't forget you can aim at multiple edges (in some cages) to get more points in one swing. Though if your only doing the money cages you really just need to memorise each ball speed/throw type so that makes things slightly more simple. I'm torn on which I prefer, I love the challenges that Yakuza 4 especially throws at you in the cages, but I do love the new aiming they introduce in 5 with Shinada that is later used in 6 and all later games. Either way, I won't miss EX Hard batting cages from 3, that's for sure!

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
How much would I be fucking up going straight from 0 to Kiwami 2?

So, I played 0 and absolutely loved it. I don't have a ton of game time and kind of want to go straight to Kiwami 2 since I heard Kiwami is a bit of a step down.

Is this just completely and utterly foolish?

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC

So, I played 0 and absolutely loved it. I don't have a ton of game time and kind of want to go straight to Kiwami 2 since I heard Kiwami is a bit of a step down.

Play Kiwami 1. So many of its stories/sub stories connect directly to 0. And it's pretty short if you end up not caring for it, but if you plan on continuing the series I can't recommend skipping it, at all.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Skipping 1 is indeed foolish. Gameplay or not, Kiwami/1 is one of the most important points in the entire series since it fleshes out Kiryu and introduces Haruka - pretty much one of the most important characters in the entire series.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

If you enjoyed the story of Y0, you should check out YK1. It makes for a great follow up, even if it's a lower budget affair.

If you aren't interested in the story you could skip it, but personally I still think the combat in YK1 is more interesting, not that YK2 isn't also very enjoyable.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017

You'd miss one of the greatest villain buildups in video games if you skip Kiwami 1.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Since Kiwami is on PSN it would be foolish. The only Yakuza game I skipped is 3 because its not on PSN.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, in Y0, how the hell am I supposed to catch those fish for the Komian quest?

I'm using the best pole and scattering bait for 2 hours and haven't got even one of the three fish the girl asked for.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, in Y0, how the hell am I supposed to catch those fish for the Komian quest?

I'm using the best pole and scattering bait for 2 hours and haven't got even one of the three fish the girl asked for.

So, silly question, but have you managed to catch any fish at all so far? If not, you need to wait until the fish nibbles on the bait (it'll descend under the water deeply) which is your time to press the button to pull the rod out of the water. The bait has to be submerged below the water, if your impatient you won't get shit.

Now, assuming you can catch fish, I forget the exact requirements but I think its a turtle and an eel as 2/3 requirements? The different shadows can give you visual hints on which fish you'll catch - eel shadows will be long, thin snake like shadows, and turtle shadows will look like a more ceramic shelled shadow. Normal fish shadows are harder to tell as you get different sizes, bigger they are generally the rarer the fish is (i.e. sharks).

Bait can be super useful (depending on the type you use) to attract more of certain (rare) fish but I totally forget which bait attracts what. Also keep in mind there are two spots in Sotenbori you can fish (either side of the canal/river). Different fish live on different river banks so make sure you check both for the fish your short.

Keep at it. The reward for this friend quest should be (if I remember correct) the side story finder item - marking side stories with "?" on your map. Its hands down one of the best things to equip in the game if you want to easily find all the side stories.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So, silly question, but have you managed to catch any fish at all so far? If not, you need to wait until the fish nibbles on the bait (it'll descend under the water deeply) which is your time to press the button to pull the rod out of the water. The bait has to be submerged below the water, if your impatient you won't get shit.

Now, assuming you can catch fish, I forget the exact requirements but I think its a turtle and an eel as 2/3 requirements? The different shadows can give you visual hints on which fish you'll catch - eel shadows will be long, thin snake like shadows, and turtle shadows will look like a more ceramic shelled shadow. Normal fish shadows are harder to tell as you get different sizes, bigger they are generally the rarer the fish is (i.e. sharks).

Bait can be super useful (depending on the type you use) to attract more of certain (rare) fish but I totally forget which bait attracts what. Also keep in mind there are two spots in Sotenbori you can fish (either side of the canal/river). Different fish live on different river banks so make sure you check both for the fish your short.

Keep at it. The reward for this friend quest should be (if I remember correct) the side story finder item - marking side stories with "?" on your map. Its hands down one of the best things to equip in the game if you want to easily find all the side stories.

Yes, I think I have caught pretty much every fish there is to catch, except for the damn turtle, eel and salmon she asks for. I haven't however tried fishing in that other spot, somehow i totally missed the fact that there are two riverbanks lol I'm gonna try fishing on the other side, thank you.

That reward does sound good, sometimes I get frustrated cause all I can do to look for side quests is wander about aimlessly, a finder will be very helpful.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Question for Y0:

Is screen tearing while free roaming during sunset and night in both Kamurocho and Dotonbori normal on Ps4?

Seems like it happens when there are a lot of light effects during sunset and at night, which is also tied into a slight drop in FPS.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Question for Y0:

Is screen tearing while free roaming during sunset and night in both Kamurocho and Dotonbori normal on Ps4?

Seems like it happens when there are a lot of light effects during sunset and at night, which is also tied into a slight drop in FPS.
Yes. This happens on 0, Kiwami and 6 if you use an OG PS4. To cure this issue with 6 you just play the game on PS4 Pro, but for Kiwami and 0, you gotta go a little further and enable the Boost mode function in the settings. This basically improves performance enough that the screen tearing never happens (well, at least I never saw it happen after enabling this).

If your playing on a normal PS4, there's no fix unfortunately.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the Platinum in Days Gone the other day, so I'll pick up Yakuza 0 again. I put it down for a long time, so now's as good as time as any to get back into it. Especially with the NA release of Judgment around the corner.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yes. This happens on 0, Kiwami and 6 if you use an OG PS4. To cure this issue with 6 you just play the game on PS4 Pro, but for Kiwami and 0, you gotta go a little further and enable the Boost mode function in the settings. This basically improves performance enough that the screen tearing never happens (well, at least I never saw it happen after enabling this).

If your playing on a normal PS4, there's no fix unfortunately.

Playing on a Ps4 slim. No fix right?