• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Pocket Fighter slander... what madness is this ;)

Karaoke feels nicer in the remaster of 3 and 4 as they have it run in 60FPS as opposed to the 30FPS it runs elsewhere (outside of PC of course), but the way Karaoke is just one long line of notes in 6 and Kiwami 2 certainly helps make it easier to read the notes. I can't say I've ever had any issues hitting 980+ on any of the songs though, bar maybe one or two in Kiwami and Dead Souls.

Darts in the earlier games lets you buy/acquire better darts by doing side stories and buying them in pawn shops. Well worth looking into doing this. I vastly prefer old darts from 3-Kiwami than Dragon Engine darts - I much prefer the way you use the right stick to precisely aim, adds a nice layer of challenge to it, its braindead levels of easy in the Dragon games I found, no challenge what so ever when I'm hitting ton 80's all day long.

Batting cages is an odd one. Its got a super loose crosshair so you gotta be really gentle with the aim, don't forget you can aim at multiple edges (in some cages) to get more points in one swing. Though if your only doing the money cages you really just need to memorise each ball speed/throw type so that makes things slightly more simple. I'm torn on which I prefer, I love the challenges that Yakuza 4 especially throws at you in the cages, but I do love the new aiming they introduce in 5 with Shinada that is later used in 6 and all later games. Either way, I won't miss EX Hard batting cages from 3, that's for sure!
I like Pocket Circuit quite a lot. The trial and error of fine tuning cars to fit each course is well done. The parts are crazy expensive though and I haven't opened the business side stuff yet. But the RNG gods have been good to me and the super rare gear from one of the Dream Fortune vending machines. I'll keep at it as such. Knowing what happens PCF in 6, seeing him in his hey day gives me a better appreciation of the character. Who knew grown men getting into beefs with children could be a hilarious but interesting sub plot?

I did notice that 0 has darts that you can buy like in 6. I got one of the best darts and it's made darts way more enjoyable. After playing it some more and winning all 3 bet games, I do see what you're saying and like the depth added to the game by aiming with the right stick.

With karaoke, I guess I suck at rhythm games. I know it's a matter of practicing the songs over and other again on the easy modes to get better at (such as with the disco mini game). I haven't gone back to it for a while so I'll have to touch it at some point.

As for the batting cages, I looked up the Y0 FAQ on it and the easiest way to tell when to hit a ball is to look at the bat animation, don't focus on the ball. When Kiryu squares up his posture, that's a guaranteed homer. The FAQ said that the non fortune challenges have common items so I'll probably wait until I have more money to do it.

Any way, I've been horribly addicted to this game to the point where I've been marathoning well into the night. I think it is shaping up to be one my favorite Yakuza games a few minor annoyances and QOL issues aside (I miss the custom way points from the Dragon Engine for one thing). I'm at Chapter 3 and love Majima's characterization so far. Who knew that a guy who becomes more or less the RGG universe's version of The Joker in later games has a heart of gold? The random guy dry humping in Odyssey when you're poaching Nozomi had me howling.

Two my favorite substories under him so far have been The living statue guy's quest and the girl who has to have a pretend boyfriend for her father. The former made me LOL because I tried all the wrong options for shits and giggles and Majima has a dark sense of humor. Then a random dude decides he wants to beat the crap out of him because his singing annoys him? Okay.

As for the latter substory, I love how the punch line is that the father knew she was faking it any way and Majima laments about why he's single. It makes me want to do another run to see what happens if you play it straight and say you're a cabaret club manager

Other random thoughts:

I like the light rogue-like element added to it with the OP foe for both characters. I can see how it led to the Majima Everywhere in K1. I also suck at Shogi and will probably never understand it enough to play on a deep level since it has a lot of stuff to wrap my head around.

I can go on and on about Y0 but I'll stop it there for now. It's been a blast to say the least.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Jo-awn Glad to hear your enjoying yourself :) I agree with pretty much all the above, there's a lot to love about each game in the series, 0 certainly helps having a good 10 years worth of games to work from.

For Shogi, if you just want to clear the completion list requirements you can just repeat the first challenge mission for it over and over (there's a legit method that works every time, there should be walkthroughs on Youtube). I 've never picked it up either, but thankfully there's always a way to cheese it for the completion list!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad. I thought the Kiwami games were doing well enough to warrant another.
There was never any plans to remake 3-5 though. The Kiwami games were only done for 1 and 2 because they were running on the old PS2 engine, so this was a way of bringing them up to date. 3 might be a tad rough in places (animation wise) but the game itself polishes up really nice with just a simple remaster. And 4 even more so, it really doesn't need a full blown remake. I expect 5 to basically look like Kiwami 1/0 in terms of quality (it runs on the same engine), plus you'd never get a remake of 5 that has the same amount of content as the original (its still got the most amount of content any game in the series has seen - 5 cities, 3 of which have not been used since, tons of mini games, side stories, another drama events that are 10+ hours worth of content each...)

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Just double checking: Judgement/Judge Eyes is still basically the same version of the Dragon Engine from YK2, right? I think I might just hold off for a PC port, I don't think I can go back to 30fps Dragon Engine after playing YK2 PC

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just double checking: Judgement/Judge Eyes is still basically the same version of the Dragon Engine from YK2, right? I think I might just hold off for a PC port, I don't think I can go back to 30fps Dragon Engine after playing YK2 PC
Basically yes. But I think some of the DOF and hue issues are fixed. JE looks way better than Kiwami 2 in places. But the engine is the same one basically.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Basically yes. But I think some of the DOF and hue issues are fixed. JE looks way better than Kiwami 2 in places. But the engine is the same one basically.
Yeah, I saw that it definitely runs better, but if it runs as well as YK2 and Y6 did on base PS4 (poorly), I'll wait for an eventual PC port, I still have Ishin and FotNS to play in the mean time anyways, along with a bunch of other games in my backlog

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think JE runs better on the Pro than 6 especially, and looks better than Kiwami 2 but if you can run K2 at 60FPS+ on your PC, it'd be definitely worth waiting as it'd definitely be better to play it at a better FPS. I look forward to finally having a PC that can do that one day.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I think JE runs better on the Pro than 6 especially, and looks better than Kiwami 2 but if you can run K2 at 60FPS+ on your PC, it'd be definitely worth waiting as it'd definitely be better to play it at a better FPS. I look forward to finally having a PC that can do that one day.
Yeah, YK2 and Y6 do not really hold 30fps well on a base PS4, although I understand that the framerate is considerably more stable on the Pro. It's not unplayable on a base, but it's worth waiting to avoid it. I just don't play enough PS4 exclusives to justify a Pro, especially when most of the improvements are more focused on resolution (all my displays are still 1080p). JE looks a bit more optimized/smoother from what I've seen, so maybe a base PS4 might stick closer to 30fps, but I'm sure JE could run on my rig at 60fps (1070/6600k), I'm getting around 70-80fps in YK2. Dragon Engine at 60fps+ is a real treat.

EDIT: Just remembered that SMM2 and FFXIV:ShB both launch 3 days after JE anyways, I'd probably personally wait for a sale even if I owned a Pro/PC version came out same day

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a guide to play Yakuza 3 in Japanese like Ishin?
Yeah, go to Gamefaqs and use ThePatricks guide. That should cover you for story, side stories and various completion list requirements (locker keys, heat moves, modding etc.)
Its got some fairly good tips for the trophy list as well but you should look up on Youtube and Barticle's separate trophy guide (also on Gamefaqs) if your looking to do a certain trophy.

I used both guides when doing my replay last year, they were fantastic. Only thing to really keep in mind is side stories appear missable, so do them as you are playing the story else you run the risk of missing Amon.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, go to Gamefaqs and use ThePatricks guide. That should cover you for story, side stories and various completion list requirements (locker keys, heat moves, modding etc.)
Its got some fairly good tips for the trophy list as well but you should look up on Youtube and Barticle's separate trophy guide (also on Gamefaqs) if your looking to do a certain trophy.

I used both guides when doing my replay last year, they were fantastic. Only thing to really keep in mind is side stories appear missable, so do them as you are playing the story else you run the risk of missing Amon.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/950186-yakuza-3/faqs/55807

This one right?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This old Yakuza vid popped up in my Youtube recommendations, time stamped for prosperity:

Just in case anyone didn't realise that Mr Libido was based on a real audition for the game. Japan sure is a weird and wonderful place...

And thankfully, only a month and 10 days until finally some new Yakuza is out to play! Can't wait to get stuck into both Judgment and Ryu Ga Gotoku 5 remaster at the same time!

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This old Yakuza vid popped up in my Youtube recommendations, time stamped for prosperity:

Just in case anyone didn't realise that Mr Libido was based on a real audition for the game. Japan sure is a weird and wonderful place...

And thankfully, only a month and 10 days until finally some new Yakuza is out to play! Can't wait to get stuck into both Judgment and Ryu Ga Gotoku 5 remaster at the same time!

Wow, never would have imagined those were real people.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Does anyone know of a reference for historical sales data for this series? I've seen some lifetime figures for the series as a whole, but I would be interested in seeing a game-by-game breakdown.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Another small vid showing Kaito's English VA (Crispin Freeman):

Not bad in my opinion, captures the character pretty well, though maybe he's yelling a bit too much in the English version. Certainly not bad though.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for Judgment feel like
255iuxdit0g21.jpg

I am itching for more Yakuza

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. I've got Kenzan, Dead Souls on the back burner just waiting to be played, but Judgment and 5 coming next month... I can wait... just about...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
He should wear more glitter shirt as Kaito's voice actor。゚☆。*:゜☆
Glad I'm not the only person that thought that. While watching the vid I couldn't help notice the similarities, yet the shirt was more bland compared to Kaito's wonderful shirt!

Watching that vid also reminded me of many (tagging obvious things in case people cry about non spoilers again)
awesome moments Kaito gets in the game. He gets two damn good side stories, some fantastic plot moments (with Higashi) and some really great tag team heat moves. Looking forward to replaying this for sure!

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Kaito's VA sounds like a typical hot-headed protagonist which I guess is what Freeman is referring to with hurricane characters. It sounds all right. I think I would still play it in Japanese with English subtitles first as intended then do a NG+ run with the English dub. My impression is that the English is probably going to as good as Sleeping Dogs but sans huge talent like Emma Stone. I'm sure there will be a bunch of memorable lines in English and Japanese.

I've been playing unhealthy amounts of Yakuza 0. I already racked up 80 hours since starting it last week and I'm still on Chapter 6. The Real Estate Royale is way too addicting like a few peeps mentioned before. I've gotten a huge lead on the game as I've pretty much bought all of Media King's properties already so there's not much for me to do with money.

I have tried the Cat Fight mini game and it's definitely the game's big stinker of a mini game nevermind the cringey, scantily clad women. I looked up the guide on it and it's RNG heavy which will be a pain in the ass to get the CP and trophy. I will say though that I do like how they sneaked in heat actions from past games into it so that's a cool easter egg. Another thing thing is all the betting stuff with darts, bowling, and the batting. I don't have a handle on the latter yet.

Playing 6 before 0, I noticed how 0 influenced the clan creator stuff. The Yakuza series follows the idea that your greatest friend is your enemy from the 48 Laws of Power. I also love all the foreshadowing stuff that's omniscient throughout this game. The devs clearly winked at long time Yakuza fans despite the fact that it is a prequel. It feels bittersweet knowing every character's fate but much like life itself, let the good times roll and cherish every moment. Particularly, it hurts seeing how awesome of a bro Nishiki is in this game prior to the events of Yakuza 1 and how loyal Kiryu is to Kazama and everyone he loves. Kiryu's skeptical reaction to the fortune teller's fortunes made me lol but a 20 year old acts appropriately. And then having Ryuji meet Kiryu before Yakuza 2 was a damn good scene.

Other thoughts:
-Having finished the Pocket Circuit Fighter substories, it's super heart warming how things panned out. It's definitely one of my favorites out of the series.
-Mr. Libido reminds me of a few friends that I know so it's hilarious that he's based on a real guy who auditioned for it.
-Shooreh pippi: having experienced the origins now, I fully appreciate the full circle reference in 6. That substory had me howling.
-Beast style is broken as sin but I love it. I don't know how many people played the game with Brawler style as it's more or less Kiryu's default fighting style through out the series. I love switching to Rush style for Mr. Shakedown and being a ninja.
-Serena and Reina (!!!). That is all. The Cheers of the series. Now I know why it means a lot to Kiryu in the future and I'm sure there's more to come with Serena in later chapters.
-The telephone mini game is all right but I hate the load times masked between each level. Thankfully, I've met all 3 women but my understanding is there's 3 additional women but it's RNG because of the flakey women. Japan was super ahead of the U.S. pre-dating online dating.
-Mr. Shakedown characterization spoilers: I like how one of the guys fights people because he wants to buy a fucking mountain to train at and get stronger. I saw references to Saeijima in there lol with fighting bears and what have you.
-The Dojima family sure is interesting. I love how Kiryu is basically a big brother/pseudo-Alfred to Daigo in this game. The hot headed but arrogant personality starts at a young age. Now I understand why Kiryu considers Daigo a son in 6.
-Marina is super endearing and hilarious. Why she isn't in later games bewilders me.
-I'm pretty sure Kamurocho Market is the site that eventually becomes Milennium Tower in the later games.

Next up: Finish leveling up the remaining Media King properties before the eventual electric bogaloo showdown, pump more money into the styles, and finally call it a night for Kiryu to end the chapter. I'll throw some money along the way. Note to self: Get a copy of Kiwami 1 before Sony announces the greatest hits version by E3. I have a sinking feeling it will happen.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain Marina was based on an a real AV Star, so licensing/money probably stopped her from appearing again, unlike other characters who are entirely made up for the series. I loved her though, she will be missed.

Side stories crossing over actually isn't something new either, its one of the series biggest strengths in my opinion. They do it all the time from the first game and up. 4 especially with Kiryu does this so well!

As for cat fighting, the CP point is easy - just get lots of money (save before doing this, there's a phone box right outside the place in theatre square) and bet the max amount. Reload if you lose. If you win, you'll clear all CP points in one go. But the trophy is a nightmare. There are certain ways to massage the RNG in the game, but its super difficult to do and still has a degree of randomness to it.

The phone game is at least a bit easier to get all the girls. There's 9? girls to meet - 3 "good" characters and another 6 that are played off as "bad" characters/ends. Keep the following things in mind:

QTE when picking up the phone: there are different speeds to the QTE when you initially answer the phone. The fastest ones (which are blink and you'll miss it) denote "good" character side stories. I've played the game through twice so tested this multiple times and this always held true. The slower the QTE, the worse the character you meet.
Next is the lingerie colour - white, blue green. There are three for each colour, 1 good, two "bad" girls. So try to keep track of the colours as this helps narrow down the ones your short.
Lastly - the voice - this one is super hard as it can be subtle sometimes, but the girls all have different voices, but I forget which are for good characters and which are for bad.

Glad your enjoying it :) The completion list stuff in Yakuza is insanely addictive if it grips you, it doesn't really let go (trust me on that!)

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Fairly certain Marina was based on an a real AV Star, so licensing/money probably stopped her from appearing again, unlike other characters who are entirely made up for the series. I loved her though, she will be missed.

Yeah, she is. If I remember correctly you can even find phone cards of the real Marina. meaning there's also a video in the video store of her. I don't think any of the AV actresses appeared in one than more game, very likely due to the reasons you already mentioned. For Yakuza 0 they had this huge ass poll where people could vote for their favorites, who then got a role in the game. Some with more prominent roles than others. I think all the platinum hostesses (except Yuki), who join your cabaret club throughout its story, are all AV actresses as well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, she is. If I remember correctly you can even find phone cards of the real Marina. meaning there's also a video in the video store of her. I don't think any of the AV actresses appeared in one than more game, very likely due to the reasons you already mentioned. For Yakuza 0 they had this huge ass poll where people could vote for their favorites, who then got a role in the game. Some with more prominent roles than others. I think all the platinum hostesses (except Yuki), who join your cabaret club throughout its story, are all AV actresses as well.

Yup, all plat hostesses bar Yuki are JAV stars, some of which have... less than stellar voice acting in places. Your right on about Marina as well, I'd forgotten you could get a bikini vid or three of her in the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Forgot about her completely (which to be fair, is my excuse for 90% of all hostesses included in every Yakuza game that don't have "Yuki" in their names. Doesn't help that we also got more than one completely unrelated Date in the series... just to confuse me I'm sure!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, all plat hostesses bar Yuki are JAV stars, some of which have... less than stellar voice acting in places. Your right on about Marina as well, I'd forgotten you could get a bikini vid or three of her in the game.

Oh yeah, it's really noticeable. I still remember Uehara Ai's performance. It was... um I think she's way better at other things than voice acting to say the least, haha. Her story was still fun though. Same with the NJPW wrestlers in Yakuza 6 in my opinion. Some are really good, others are more made for short promos in the ring I guess, hehe.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing about the NJPW characters (especially in 6) was the attention to detail to their actions/poses. I've seen a few people get into 6 solely for the NJPW stuff. While I don't usually like (cross) promotion stuff in games, Yakuza always somehow manages to do it right (well, except that awful razor ad in Dead Souls).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Best thing about the NJPW characters (especially in 6) was the attention to detail to their actions/poses. I've seen a few people get into 6 solely for the NJPW stuff. While I don't usually like (cross) promotion stuff in games, Yakuza always somehow manages to do it right (well, except that awful razor ad in Dead Souls).

Yeah! I don't know much about NJPW but even I recognized some of their classic poses and moves as well as catchphrases. The Ryu ga Gotoku loves attention to detail (one of the things I love about the series) and it showed here too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hope they do something similar with Shin RGG, I enjoyed the clan modes in 6 and Kiwami 2 and its ripe for expansion/improvement. And thankfully we are getting closer and closer to TGS so hopefully its not too much longer before the game finally gets a proper reveal.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate 6's inclusion of Saki Akai, made it so much cooler when I started watching DDT/TJPW where she wrestles.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I'm just sad that Kenny never got in the games before he left NJPW.

They could have made a Bullet Club parody gang and do a clan creator with them.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
When Tenzan hit me with the Tenzan Tombstone Piledriver I about shit my pants.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
So since this is just as much a community thread as much as it's a Yakuza thread, what you guys been playing lately? shadowman16 you ever get the Ringo Ishikawa game? I didn't, but I did clear Katana ZERO and that game is nuts.

I just wanted to post in here to profess my love for yakuza and everything yakuza related.

hi guys
Watch some old yakuza flicks from the '60s and '70s to really embrace it. Not much on Netflix; but Prime Video has some great classics on there. Goro the Assassin is pretty great.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Etrian Oddity
Just finished The Last Window, the sequel to Hotel Dusk. It was pretty terrific, I'd highly recommend those games for folks who like VNs.

At the moment I'm just taking a break from games and watching Mushishi. Don't watch anime very often, but this is perfectly up my alley. Currently half way through the second season.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Ringo, but funnily enough I also ended up playing through Katana Zero. So worth it, and now hard mode is coming soon which is definitely a smart move to get me coming back. Definitely make sure you see the hidden final boss as well, its amazing.
Otherwise its been Capcom stuff (DMC5 DMD mode, Mega Man 6, Duck Tales 2, Rescue Rangers 2) and a few Konami retro releases (Salamanda, Gradius, Castlevania 1 and 2).

That's all while I wait for the next Yakuza releases next month. I also have my next 4! releases to play after that, Kenzan (finally fighting Amon), Dead Souls (been too long since I played it), Yakuza 6 (soon I'll have played all the mainline games through again, makes sense to replay it now) and Shin RGG whenever it launches. I won't have a dry spell of Yakuza for quite some time at this rate.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
There was never any plans to remake 3-5 though. The Kiwami games were only done for 1 and 2 because they were running on the old PS2 engine, so this was a way of bringing them up to date. 3 might be a tad rough in places (animation wise) but the game itself polishes up really nice with just a simple remaster. And 4 even more so, it really doesn't need a full blown remake. I expect 5 to basically look like Kiwami 1/0 in terms of quality (it runs on the same engine), plus you'd never get a remake of 5 that has the same amount of content as the original (its still got the most amount of content any game in the series has seen - 5 cities, 3 of which have not been used since, tons of mini games, side stories, another drama events that are 10+ hours worth of content each...)
I didnt know this. Was hoping for 3-5. Working on Y2 PC right now.

Man wish they would bring Y6 to Steam as well.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I picked up Ringo, but funnily enough I also ended up playing through Katana Zero. So worth it, and now hard mode is coming soon which is definitely a smart move to get me coming back. Definitely make sure you see the hidden final boss as well, its amazing.
Yeah I checked the unlockables and secret stuff and it looks so fun. The writing is so incredible in that game.

To be honest I couldn't care less about Hard Mode, I want this story to continue. I'd love if they somehow turned this little game into an episodic franchise... maybe not an unrealistic idea, considering this game has been in development since 2016. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff we've yet to see.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Late, but...

Crispin Freeman should be in any JRPGs.

His Albedo works from Xenosaga are one of the best.

Really glad he's in Judgment.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I was playing Y0 on my PS4 and the game randomly stopped responding in the cabaret makeover screen. The only commands that work are the camera, I can still tweak it but nothing else works. I can't make a selection, go back, or move the cursor, so I'm completely stuck on that screen. Controller is fine since it works on the PS4 OS. I tried suspending the game and coming back but I'm still stuck. Im fucking mad cause 1- I was having a 3 hours long playthrough 2- Of course that game doesn't autosave so I'm gonna lose all my progress and 3- wtf is this glitch even, I haven't had something like that happen to me since the PS2 days.

Has this happened to anyone else? My game is suspended now, anything I can try to not lose my progress?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its now just one month away from 5's remaster release date on PS4 in Japan... just impatiently counting down the days now...