• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, with Judgment out in the wild for reviewers, I came across this cool reddit post showing off the differences between the two subtitle choices:

Shows off that, while some scenes are the same, some are indeed changed here and there. Its really nice attention to detail, and couple that with the decent English VA this time, I look forward to doing a second run with the English options.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Made the mistake of booting up Yakuza 1&2 HD quick while I have my PS3 on. Aside from the obvious issues (graphical ones) the games still play just as good as I remember, though the jump from Kiryu's moveset in 2 from 1 is pretty substantial. After get done with Kenzan and Dead Souls, its time to replay these and finally both. Well, plat 2 at least, 1 will basically come down to me yelling at Haruka as I fail to hit 20 home runs in a row.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Just posting Judgment combat trailer again; it's now freaking 677k views

Wow.

Might be the current highest English trailer views for Yakuza studio yet?

Uploaded after Death Stranding release date trailer hype along with the awesome cool "Destination" track was the right move.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Just posting Judgment combat trailer again; it's now freaking 677k views

Wow.

Might be the current highest English trailer views for Yakuza studio yet?

Uploaded after Death Stranding release date trailer hype along with the awesome cool "Destination" track was the right move.

Oh wow, I must've missed this trailer. Hype af! Not long until it's finally out in English.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's a decent amount of views, wonder what caused it to shoot up so high, most trailers in the series are lucky if they break the 100K barrier. Hopefully some of those views translate into sales, so that the series has its best selling game overeseas yet. Fingers crossed!

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Chinese localization of the Yakuza 5 remaster is being marketed heavily here in Taiwan right now. It taunts me...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. Judgment is huge enough that it'll take you a while to see everything. 5 has remained my favourite in the series in many ways, so I cannot wait to replay it!

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stream is live now (there was a 10 minute delay). Edit: The segment starts at 2:02:05

Last edited:

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so somebody uploaded a good chunk of footage of Judgment's English version and it has the translated credits for the opening, including the new actor for Kyohei Hamura:

Miou Tanaka

also, something to note:

Even when the voice track is set to English, there are still portions of the Japanese track utilized, including crowd noises, and enemy dialogue during battles.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I heard about the crowd audio thing, its so strange that
they didn't have English crowd voices and the like, they did such a great job with the rest that it just seems like a super bizarre omission. Its not a big thing, far from it but its sorta immersion breaking when you have all the main characters speaking English with all the NPCs roaming streets speaking Japanese!

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair:

The first Yakuza dub had kept the background crowd, though I'll chalk this case up to being a budget thing. The thing that jars me is them keeping the Japanese dialogue for the fights, grunts are fine as it happens even in AAA games (like Uncharted), but actual phrases in Japanese being shouted, that wasn't a thing even in the first Yakuza dub.

I will say though that the synching here is much better than it ever was in the first game.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Scott Strichart was on Giant Bomb at Nite last night with Mark McDonald (host of 8-4 Play) and Ash Thukral (Square Enix). They touched upon the localization and the controversy with Pierre Taki but it's nothing new that the public doesn't know.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Scott Strichart was on Giant Bomb at Nite last night with Mark McDonald (host of 8-4 Play) and Ash Thukral (Square Enix). They touched upon the localization and the controversy with Pierre Taki but it's nothing new that the public doesn't know.

Something i noticed here, near the end of the segment, Jeff asked Scott if he knows what he is working on next (after Judgment), of course he didn't give a straight answer but he did uttered '' We don't stop, we are still behind''. This has to be a hint of the remasters, is really the only recent release that's on limbo right now, Shin is ways off even in Japan so i doubt he is talking about that. Interesting stuff.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well, technically they still got Ishin, Kenzan and two PSP games to get to as well ;) But yeah, the 3 PS4 remasters are the most realistic thing that he's teasing there.

Oct 25, 2017
Just started Zero, but I was only able to play it for a little more than an hour, so it's hard to give any detailed impressions.

I'm super excited to continue playing tomorrow night, though, so I guess I'm hooked. :D

That very early dialogue in the bar about Kiryu being fine the way he is was so good. It told me so much about the characters, even though it's my first game in the series, and made me care about both instantly. I like how earnest he is, and how he likes to do things right, even if they're not the right things.

I also love how the game incorporates some of the extra gamey aspects of it in the narrative and tells it with a straight face, like "use your money to upgrade your character". For some reason that REALLY works for me, I like it way more than seeing yet another skill tree in a AAA game that I'm supposed to pretend it's not part of the world in any way.

Turned off the minimap from the start, but turned up the amount of tutorials, since they recommended that for a first time player. I hope I'll be fine without the map.

The game is a lot better looking than I expected, being a cross gen game and all. It looks really good, especially in cutscenes. The SSR on puddles was very surprising. Persona 5 is much more obviously a PS3 game than this one.

But yeah, great introduction so far, showing me the city, some characters and activities, loved doing the karaoke sequence. With how early that first scene with no lip sync was, I thought there would be way less voiced dialogue and scenes with lip sync than there are, the fact that I've got so many of them already makes me very happy. I hope it continues this way throughout the main story.

Not sure how much side content I'll do, since the main story alone seems to be around 30 hours, but we'll see. I'm afraid of what will happen when I try shogi.

EDIT: The japanese intro song is way better and I wish we got that. :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Or they will throw a curve ball that less fans want them to bring. Yakuza Online!!
I kinda want that ;) I was too lazy to download the Japanese app for my phone. I've only been following the story updates, half because I need something Yakuza related in my life, and because I'm interested to see how close Shin matches up to its plot when its finally released.

Gbraga - glad to hear your enjoying the game so far :) Side content wise its worth doing some of it for the rewards if your into that sort of thing. There's always a secret boss waiting when you clear all the side stories, and in the case of 0 there's a couple more rewards for when you clear the Real Estate/Club stuff (which both unlock in later chapters). Its all completely optional, and in the case of each game, its really just worth doing to upgrade your characters which in turn improves the combat as you'll have more moves at your disposal.

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know, I'll at least try one of each kind of side content then, and only do the ones I find fun. I hope I don't like all of them, hahaha.

A few more things I didn't mention last night:

What year do the other Yakuza games take place? I'm wondering what kind of reaction seeing "December 1988" got out of long time fans when they played 0 for the first time.

Money is... weird. That first job in the cutscene that is getting me into major trouble? 30k. Beating up some random people while waiting for Nishikiyama? 180k. I'm never gonna work again in my life, I'll just beat the shit out of strangers. :D

And the last thing is that I've seen a lot of "is Yakuza a JRPG?" discussions, but didn't think much of them because people do the same thing with Souls, so I just assumed "it's a japanese game with levels, so some people call it a JRPG", but the little I played of it actually reminded me of Persona way more than, say, GTA, or Sleeping Dogs, to go with a more melee-focused one. It's strange. If it's not a JRPG, then it's a kind of game I've never played before, which I suppose explains why many people go with "JRPG" to describe it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good to know, I'll at least try one of each kind of side content then, and only do the ones I find fun. I hope I don't like all of them, hahaha.

A few more things I didn't mention last night:

What year do the other Yakuza games take place? I'm wondering what kind of reaction seeing "December 1988" got out of long time fans when they played 0 for the first time.

Money is... weird. That first job in the cutscene that is getting me into major trouble? 30k. Beating up some random people while waiting for Nishikiyama? 180k. I'm never gonna work again in my life, I'll just beat the shit out of strangers. :D

The Yakuza games besides Y0, Ishin and Kenzan were set in the year they launched in. Often in the season of the game's release too.

And yeah, you're right it was really cool to go back to the 80s, to Japan's bubble period and experience the origins of our favorite characters. There's quite a bit of stuff that's specific to Yakuza 0 just to immerse players in the 80s, to make them feel like they're experiencing that bursting economy.
You have absurdly more cash than in the other games. Fights in the other games might net you a thousand yen, in this game it's everywhere. You see cash flying out of enemies, you throw cash at yourself to level up (the other games have more standard exp systems). The economy, in regards to healing items is pretty broken in this game because of how much money you have on you, but that just feels right considering the setting. It's pretty awesome how much effort they put in.

Anyways, glad to see you're digging the game.

Oct 25, 2017
The Yakuza games besides Y0, Ishin and Kenzan were set in the year they launched in. Often in the season of the game's release too.

And yeah, you're right it was really cool to go back to the 80s, to Japan's bubble period and experience the origins of our favorite characters. There's quite a bit of stuff that's specific to Yakuza 0 just to immerse players in the 80s, to make them feel like they're experiencing that bursting economy.
You have absurdly more cash than in the other games. Fights in the other games might net you a thousand yen, in this game it's everywhere. You see cash flying out of enemies, you throw cash at yourself to level up (the other games have more standard exp systems). The economy, in regards to healing items is pretty broken in this game because of how much money you have on you, but that just feels right considering the setting. It's pretty awesome how much effort they put in.

Anyways, glad to see you're digging the game.
Wow, that's seriously impressive. I LOVE when game designers translate themes into mechanics like this. I did notice how the cutscenes reflected the economy in the period very well, but I didn't even think about relating that to the gameplay. Learning that exp being money is exclusive to this one makes me appreciate that aspect so much more.

I thought I was just gonna play 0 and move on, but now I kind of want to see that city in more modern times after I'm done. Maybe I'll just go straight to Judgment.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, another thing that seems worthy of praise, though it's still early and could change, is how much history the characters already seem to have. It's very common for prequels to end up telling too much unnecessary history, and not leaving anything to the imagination, but even though there were a bunch of other games in the series, and this is supposed to be their origins, the characters still have a lot of background that you don't get to experience. You don't see every single relationship forming from the start, you get to the game halfway through his life and need to adjust. I like it a lot.

It's not a prequel done just for fanservice's sake, it seems like they're telling a story like any other.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Man you're making me wanna play 0 after work :D
Oh, another thing that seems worthy of praise, though it's still early and could change, is how much history the characters already seem to have. It's very common for prequels to end up telling too much unnecessary history, and not leaving anything to the imagination, but even though there were a bunch of other games in the series, and this is supposed to be their origins, the characters still have a lot of background that you don't get to experience. You don't see every single relationship forming from the start, you get to the game halfway through his life and need to adjust. I like it a lot.

It's not a prequel done just for fanservice's sake, it seems like they're telling a story like any other.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
While I have issues with some of 0's handling of one character in particular, it does make itself super worthwhile just by bolstering 1's plot really well. Its not like Star Wars Eps1-3 where, arguably they butcher Vaders character, but instead actually adds some extra background to a few characters that carries over nicely into Kiwami. If anything, I kinda wish they'd have taken further steps to change Kiwami 1 and 2 more, changing plot to better suit a remake rather than a 1:1 remake, but that's just me (what we got I loved as well).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that it's only one more week until the early access of Judgment. Crazy! Too bad I won't be able to play on Friday. Hopefully I can find some time to dig into it on the weekend though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, looking forward to reviews for Judgment, just to see how other people find it. While I won't be getting the game early, I will be getting RGG5 next week, so no big loss to wait a couple more days!

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Feels weird having not properly played a Yakuza game (gave Kenzan a go) in almost a year, but the wait is almost over.

Excited to see what improvements they've made on the whole with the engine.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game is such a blast, holy shit. Still super excited about it. Can't wait to continue playing tomorrow. I have SO MUCH money already, and the first shrine thing I got was to get even more money from beating the shit out of people.

It's crazy how quickly the plot is developing. The story stopped at "the guy is dead? was it my fault or did someone frame me?" last night, and a few minutes into it tonight it was all clarified and now I have a plan than I'm not what it is. This is so cool.

Some clown dude gave me a bunch of outfits that I can only wear in NG+ or something? This game is neat. Plates are expensive as fuck.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You think you have lots of money, but you really don't. Late game money earning makes early game money seem like pocket change! But your wise in going for the shrine upgrades early, make sure you continue to do that, especially when the big side content gets introduced in a couple of chapters time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As long as he acquired them legit and Sega aren't losing sales, go for it. Can't believe we are just a few days away from the launch of two Yakuza games, I'm impatiently waiting for my copies to arrive!

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
there is a guy selling judgment copies for $40/ea on ebay, shipping now and he has already sold like 20, and has already received 5+ positive feedback because he started selling them on 6/11.

i gave in and ordered a copy.
I caved and ordered one as well as my birthday is coming up in a few days. I just hope the devs made money on it as shadowman16 said and they weren't acquired through illicit means.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
I caved and ordered one as well as my birthday is coming up in a few days. I just hope the devs made money on it as shadowman16 said and they weren't acquired through illicit means.

i just got tracking for mine

he sent it via fedex with overnight shipping, holy, should have it tuesday

the super fast shipping feedback he is receiving makes sense now

Last edited: