• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, someone on Reddit has offered a way better translation:

Basically, they mention Kenzan because the director has mentioned that maybe they will do a remake in the future. Personally, I'd be happy with just a remaster, not a remake (its already a great game, just gimme reduced load times for battles and 60FPS/1080p and I'm good) but apparently that wouldn't be good enough... Oh, and apparently they'd want to release it worldwide as well.

Oh wow, a Kenzan Kiwami would be awesome. I had no idea that was even a thought on anyone's mind.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Judgment is amazing. I'm still in chapter 1 but I think I'm getting close to the end of it. Already got introduced to many gameplay elements and already made some friends on the streets. It's sad that some people just see it and go "oh it's just more Yakuza under a different name", because the game has so much more to offer than just the regular Yakuza gameplay. Can't wait to play more. It's crazy that I'm still in chapter 1 considering how much I already did. But that's a good thing. And thinking about all the other stuff I unlock the further I progress (new gameplay elements, side cases, more mini games, more stuff to do in town).

I noticed I cannot upload my trophies yet, though. Perhaps that's because the game isn't officially out until tomorrow I guess. Also, when clicking on the DLC banner on Yagami's phone screen, it tries to load the PSN store but it gives me an error. Perhaps because the game isn't out yet. I noticed the same with DOA6 however. Hopefully not a problem on my end. I don't even know what the DLC for this game is, but it doesn't appear on the store, so maybe you can just purchase it in-game (or perhaps it's even free?).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, unless things change Shin RGG will probably have its story focus at least partly on
the Omi taking over Kamurocho. Now, playing Yakuza 5 at the moment reminds me that the Omi have a whole power struggle thing going on as their previous leader retired due a serious case of dead. Makes me wonder if we get to see any previous Omi men from 5 pop up again - Kanai the lumbering tank, Katsuya - the media savvy business man why likes to do pushups naked, or Watase the dude who just wants a war with Kamurocho, and is super cool. Now... just a reminder that Watase lives through 5, and got used in RGG Ishin as a badass. Just saying, bring him back! Oh, and make Hayashi a lacky again, just for old times sake.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
An Ishin Kiwami would be a complete waste of resources. Just translate the existing game and your set. Its already a good looking game that runs at 60FPS and has plenty of content. There's really no need to waste money and time remaking the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
An Ishin Kiwami would be a complete waste of resources. Just translate the existing game and your set. Its already a good looking game that runs at 60FPS and has plenty of content. There's really no need to waste money and time remaking the game.

I definitely agree with this. It's pretty much adjacent to Yakuza 0 in terms of ge engine. Dev resources could be spent elsewhere.

That said, could you imagine the crazy physics shenanigans with the combat styles of Ishin in the dragon engine.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome Nagoshi interview by Tim Rogers at E3.

Nagoshi is a god. His answer to Tim's question about his flawless fashion sense is particularly great.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, during one of my frequent trips to the arcade in Fukuoka to play Taiko, I glanced over at the arcade machines (I think this is the case in 4 as well), and noticed that aside from Mushiking (sp?) the bug game based on rock, paper, scissors, there's also DINOSAUR KING (all caps to emphasise how badass this is):

Its the same fucking game. But with Dinosaurs. Why did we have to get titty bugs in Kiwami, this would have been epic. Can you imagine the side stories? Take that little kid, my T Rex just bit your dino in half!

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
5 has the most refined combat mechanics in the series. Dragon Engine's combat has been improved gradually from 6 to JE but it won't catch up with 5 as long as the same □□△ formula is used.

4rOJYC8.png

RJx49T6.png

The support female character audition's finalist

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Really nice clean pictures there :) The IQ on 5 is glorious, I really gotta get back and do a bit more of the story... my copy of Judgment has also arrived though, so that's gonna start stealing my time away soon!

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure the one on the left isn't just a weird novelty magnifying glass that distorts the face of anyone you point it at? ;)

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't fully buy their reasoning for an Ishin Kiwami, but with how long Shin has taken (this is a good thing, IMO!) it makes me wonder if they want to keep this strategy going forward; having part of the staff they care of remakes to ensure the annual output remains a thing while the rest takes their time developing new entries.

Either way, I'm really curious about those Shin news, that game should be something special.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd take remakes of Kenzen and Ishin inbetween big releases. At that point they'd start remaking the psp games.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's judgment day!

I just gotta get home from work.

Edit: I bought an appropriate bottle of booze, probably going to order in and devote the whole night to Judge Eyes.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So... some of the texture work on Yakuza 5 is much better on the PS4. One conversation in the PS3 version has a distractingly low res sign that's basically unreadable. In the same area on the PS4, its much higher res, easy to read. Hoping this means Sotenbori especially looks nicer in certain areas, as it had some ass looking textures here and there.

Not done much progress on the story, other than meeting Watase - who's fucking brilliant. Seriously, easily my favourite character in the game (well, maybe second to Shinada's loan shark). He exudes power, and has some brilliant exchanges with Kiryu.
I've also met a couple of returning faces - "Mr Revelation" himself - Mack and the weapons master Kamiyama. So I've now gotten Kiryu's hilarious revelation heat move and several weapons for modding. 11% done...

I've now got some fantastic fights to do in the story, really looking forward to the next chapter especially :)

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
Do Yakuza 6's trouble missions where you need to calm Haruto extend past chapter 3? The motion controls were so unresponsive that I'm curious if there's a better way I should be holding my Dualshock.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And that's the third part of Kiryu's chapter cleared on Yakuza 5. Yahata and his goons soundly beaten, some of the set pieces in the escape fight are hilarious, and thanks to Kiryu being so badass off the bat you could dispatch said goons any which way you wanted. Ah... I love this game!
Now things are setting up for the big finale fight for Kiryu's chapter, I might have to make a dedicated save just for the docks fight so I can replay it anytime I want, its still one of the single best battles in the series. Can't wait!

Do Yakuza 6's trouble missions where you need to calm Haruto extend past chapter 3? The motion controls were so unresponsive that I'm curious if there's a better way I should be holding my Dualshock.
No. One time only deal.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Actor/ Comedian Hiroyuki Miyasako who was in Yakuza 6 has been suspended for taking money from organized crime-

"In his public apology, Miyasako, who often appears on TV shows, said, "I deeply regret accepting the money, even if it was indirectly."

Broadcasters with variety programs featuring the suspended comedians have decided to either cut out scenes where they appear, substitute alternative episodes or put their shows on hiatus.

Public broadcaster NHK has refrained from airing programs with the comedians since a weekly magazine reported the issue earlier this month."

7.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Unlocked the Minimida (Japanese Doc Brown) training in Yakuza 5. Its hilariously unbalanced. So its basically a 2D action game like Kung Fu Master ... walk left to right while beating up enemies. But in those other games you had few moves at your disposal and enemies were somewhat stronger than you. But in this game your Kazuma Kiryu. So... tiger dropping even the VR boss Yahata (basically a one hit KO!) works exceedingly well. Its a fun mini game but it'd have been perhaps more fun with a little more balancing to make it a bit more challenging.

Also did another long battle right before the chapter end fight. One thing 5 is doing better than 4 is getting more of these in each chapter, as 4 literally had chapters where nothing happened, and that felt like a bit of a waste - here at least you get to flex you muscles and play with all those moves you unlocked. And its a blast.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't a big fan of that mini game when I played Yakuza 5 on the PS3 unfortuantely. I mean it was fun with Kiryu and Saejima, but having to repeat it with all characters got old really quick sadly. Neat idea though!

It's kinda rad to see how far we've come from having just an average shmup mini game inside Club Sega to full-fledged mini games, arcade emulations etc.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a big fan of that mini game when I played Yakuza 5 on the PS3 unfortuantely. I mean it was fun with Kiryu and Saejima, but having to repeat it with all characters got old really quick sadly. Neat idea though!

It's kinda rad to see how far we've come from having just an average shmup mini game inside Club Sega to full-fledged mini games, arcade emulations etc.
Boxcelious rocks though ;) I really do enjoy both versions of the game in 3-5. Though 5 really did up its game in that regard, as it added stuff like VF2 and Taiko, and then of course 0 and 6 happened and got even better!
I have seen people pining after the original arcade games in Yakuza 2, which I found weird, they sucked. One thing Kiwami 2 unquestionably upgraded was the arcade - VF2 and Virtual On are far better than YF2 or whichever game it was.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Actor/ Comedian Hiroyuki Miyasako who was in Yakuza 6 has been suspended for taking money from organized crime-

"In his public apology, Miyasako, who often appears on TV shows, said, "I deeply regret accepting the money, even if it was indirectly."

Broadcasters with variety programs featuring the suspended comedians have decided to either cut out scenes where they appear, substitute alternative episodes or put their shows on hiatus.

Public broadcaster NHK has refrained from airing programs with the comedians since a weekly magazine reported the issue earlier this month."

7.jpg

Next games, they might rethink using real life actors/actresses?

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Just cleared Kiwami 2. While I did enjoy the finale (better than Kiwami 1) it wasn't as hype as the end of 0. Will this be a consistent thing going forward?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just cleared Kiwami 2. While I did enjoy the finale (better than Kiwami 1) it wasn't as hype as the end of 0. Will this be a consistent thing going forward?
No one can answer this question for you. For my money, 3's finale from a gameplay standpoint is better than 0s. Likewise so did Ishin. And in terms of final boss battles, 5 still has pretty much the best aside from Ishin in terms of pure gameplay (not character choice though, that's a different discussion entirely). Judgments end is pretty damn solid as well.

But that's just my opinion on the matter. Your millage will vary depending on how much you like each games story and characters. You may hate Yakuza 3 for example, its definitely a polarising game.

TakenBrx

Jun 26, 2019
I'm playing Judgment and is kinda weak, in my opinion. I'm at chapter 7.
On the other hand, Y5 HD is amazing. But hiragana and katakana is a must to understand. I recorded two vídeos, the intro and the final boss in 60fps/1080p if anyone wants to take a look:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful. So nice to see both Kenzan and Ishin getting translation patches. They are among the best games in the series and deserve to be experienced by more people one way or another.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that translation looks clean, especially in emulator.

How do 3/4/5 handle on it? I kinda don't wanna pull out my old PS3 for the games, so I'm waiting for potential localization announcements (and maybe a PC release seeing as they're probably doing the series in numerical order there, skipping 6 there for now).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that translation looks clean, especially in emulator.

How do 3/4/5 handle on it? I kinda don't wanna pull out my old PS3 for the games, so I'm waiting for potential localization announcements (and maybe a PC release seeing as they're probably doing the series in numerical order there, skipping 6 there for now).
I think 3 works, though performance is spotty at best. 4 and 5 I've no clue about. I think Kenzan runs as well, and the translation for that is coming along well. Might take a few more years, but eventually PS3 emulation is gonna be fantastic.

Anyway, finished Kiryu's part of Yakuza 5 earlier. A great set up for the main plot, and the final fight is really great, tougher than I remember as well because they really didn't hold back with the enemy count.

Onto Saejima's section now, and thanks to the brief prelude (with his hilariously silly analogy about Yakuza being burned trash) I managed to get him leveled up nicely and have most of his base moves and heat moves available from the get go. Though I will admit his prison section is questionably paced at best - it does highlight some of the issues the series has - basically its mainly talking and plot set up, but its done in that slow, wordy way they like to do (basically drawing everything out more than needed), the characters in play are excellent (especially Kugihara that psycho) and I can't wait for the actual fights, but that's still a fetch quest and dream sequence away. Pity they couldn't have framed it better so you had less pointless exposition and wandering around and just cut to the good scenes, thusly pushing the plot along at a more brisk pace.
Funnily enough the dream sequence was actually a nice break from the talking, forcing you to play Rouge of Love is always a positive in my book.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Finally made it to chapter 2 in Judgment. The game is so good. Love how chapter 1 ended. It's pretty much the perfect set-up for the rest of the game's story. Kinda like the end of a pilot episode in a TV show (I think that's what they were aiming for). It took me about 6 hours to reach chapter 2, but that was because I did a lot of minigames, explored Kamurocho in detail etc. And chapter 2 pretty much starts with an explosion of new side content (drone racing is so much fun!). Very much looking forward to the rest of the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finally made it to chapter 2 in Judgment. The game is so good. Love how chapter 1 ended. It's pretty much the perfect set-up for the rest of the game's story. Kinda like the end of a pilot episode in a TV show (I think that's what they were aiming for). It took me about 6 hours to reach chapter 2, but that was because I did a lot of minigames, explored Kamurocho in detail etc. And chapter 2 pretty much starts with an explosion of new side content (drone racing is so much fun!). Very much looking forward to the rest of the game.
The game definitely feels like it has a structure similar to a TV show, which is one of the (many) reasons I enjoyed it so much. Both PSP games did this as well, and again the story was excellent partly because of this structure.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And that's chapter two of Saeijma's story in Yakuza 5 done (aka the great chapter). It crams in far more plot, drama, awesome moments and gameplay than the last chapter did, and isn't long or drawn out either, but I guess you could argue that the second chapter wouldn't work if the first didn't set the scene.

So what I liked about the chapter:
plot wise
they delve more into the whole Majima death point that Kiryu's chapter sets up. And Saejima's reaction is great. Rather than the Ryo Hazuki school of revenge, his reaction is different - more interested in meeting the man that killed his sworn brother, and less of pointless revenge. Plus seeing how "someone" is manipulating things behind the scenes to try to remove Saejima from the equation, makes for some cool moments.

On Saejima himself
I really love his personality - both in this and going back to Yakuza 4. In both games he gets some really good, powerful speeches which lets his personality shine. A little moment at the end of the prison break is where he runs into a guard that Kugihara has killed. Him and Baba instantly are surrounded, and rather dropping this guard on the ground carelessly, he lays him down gently, closes his eyes. And gets up ready for a fight. Its a little moment, but kinda lets his respectful side shine. He's not a mindless brute, quite the opposite. His speech right after against the waves of goons is great, basically can be condenced to, "I'll make you wish you were never born". And then you have him basically destroying one of Kugihara's arms by crushing it several times. Fucking brutal, Kiryu gets a similar great scene at the end of his chapter where he beats Ayoma half to death, with Ayoma pleading on the floor "they said you were merciful". Kiryu then reminds him that while he's not technically Yakuza anymore, the life never really leaves him. All the "Kiryu never kills" memes are funny, but never forget the guy is no saint, love moments like this.

And gameplay wise the huge fight gets really good when Saejima getse his heat bar full enough that he's essentially an immovable tank, and can destroy waves of enemies at once just with his charge attacks. Even the Bear you fight doesn't stand much of a chance against him at that point either. Only bit to really watch out for is the fight against Kugihara himself, he can't be grabbed or knocked over, so all of Saejima's heat moves are useless, but good dodging and blocking finishes him off. The Snow Mobile section was hilarious, draw distance wise it felt a bit better than the PS3 version, and the enemies have hilariously bad AI where they just crash by themselves, exploded in fireballs of death (Saejima didn't kill them, the world around him did!). The entire sequence from prison break to bear fight is one of the most videogamey moments in the series, completely mad but at the same time super fun to play, its moments like this I remember why I love the series, its got a great story, and then flips to some pretty insane gameplay moments.

And with chapter 2 done. Its now time for me to spend the next 10 hours hunting rather than actually continuing the story!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who speak French and/or Japanese, here is my Toshihiro Nagoshi interview. I tried to cover as much topics as I could (I wish I had more time) and I believe it's an interesting watch/read: http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1209_yakuza-ps5-xbox-streaming-binary-domain-on-parle-de-tout-ave
Dude, fantastic interview with some awesome questions there. The Kamurocho question especially was a great read, I always wondered why they adopted a made up version of it. Also, that whole "scary people" answer is lol worthy. I know they've mentioned that side stories were inspirations from stuff they encountered while drinking... I mean researching so I wouldn't be surprised if Yakuza have covertly approached Nagoshi before either.

Some cool answers about potential Xbox ports in the future as well, though as I expected especially in Japan it looks like the games will remain Playstation games for the time being.

Oh, and the one thing that excites me most is Nagoshi's answer about AI and PS5. I want smarter AI for harder modes, if he can make that happen with new consoles I'll be really happy.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
For those of you who speak French and/or Japanese, here is my Toshihiro Nagoshi interview. I tried to cover as much topics as I could (I wish I had more time) and I believe it's an interesting watch/read: http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1209_yakuza-ps5-xbox-streaming-binary-domain-on-parle-de-tout-ave

Awesome interview. I always wondered about the name change for Kamurocho. Sad to hear that Japanese media has entirely forgotten about Binary Domain, though.

amprsand11

Jan 12, 2018
Canada
Still on Chapter 1 of Judgment but having a blast so far. This weekend I ended up playing some of the arcade games to get them out of the way, ended up clearing all the Puyo Puyo and VF5 challenges, so that's cool. Hoping I can find some time tonight and get Ch. 1 finished up.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Shit got real, fast, in Judgment. I began Chapter 5 recently. Been loving the game so far, it's definitely slower paced than Yakuza (which is weird to say) but it's been hooking me. I do a mix of main story with side case/friends stuff this time instead of my usual "play the story, then the rest in premium adventure".

Also did anyone meet the "Ryan Acosta" friend? He's so funny.

Last edited:

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Did you ask him about the remasters?
I didn't need to...

Dude, fantastic interview with some awesome questions there. The Kamurocho question especially was a great read, I always wondered why they adopted a made up version of it. Also, that whole "scary people" answer is lol worthy. I know they've mentioned that side stories were inspirations from stuff they encountered while drinking... I mean researching so I wouldn't be surprised if Yakuza have covertly approached Nagoshi before either.

Some cool answers about potential Xbox ports in the future as well, though as I expected especially in Japan it looks like the games will remain Playstation games for the time being.

Oh, and the one thing that excites me most is Nagoshi's answer about AI and PS5. I want smarter AI for harder modes, if he can make that happen with new consoles I'll be really happy.

Thanks a lot! I hope it will make the rounds as there are some good quotes in there.

Awesome interview. I always wondered about the name change for Kamurocho. Sad to hear that Japanese media has entirely forgotten about Binary Domain, though.
I asked Sato-san about Binary Domain last year and Nagoshi-san this year. I think I can stop bugging them about it now :-(.

Last edited:

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard that in Yakuza 0 theres an equipment that lets you change styles faster, does it open up new combos?

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I posted n the Kiwami 2 thread last week but it seems any Yakuza talk gets done in here now. Didn't have much to say, just that I was impressed with the Dragon Engine coming from Kiwami 1 and that it reminded me of the jump from #4 to #5 on PS3. Obviously this Dragon Engine though is a massive change for the series.

This is my first time playing Yakuza 2, I've seen some complaints about the story but seeing as my first entry into the series was #3 then this will never be as bad as that, plus I knew nothing of the characters so it's been a bit hard to follow. Now I'm coming full circle and I'm realising the importance of some characters.

I do have one question with these Kiwami games though, as they were remade were there references put in to tie in with the later games? Reason I ask is I think in Kiwami 1 Date-San (?) mentions something about switching careers and asking what Kiryu would do and Taxi Driver was mentioned. I had a little chuckle as he ended up doing that in #5 but then I thought the team may have slipped that in the remake. Are they added a few nods the later games?