• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally unlocked the Quick-Change Clothes in 0, aaand suddenly the combat feels much better.

Even though the item says that it only speeds up style change speed, in actuality it lets you change styles anytime except during grabs, even during recovery of moves, which basically means that the game now has Style Cancels. Within just the hour I gotten it, I've managed to create a DIY combo breaker with Brawler style's Retaliation Counter.

And with Style Cancels, suddenly the random boss super armors become much more bearable, since now you can just Style Cancel your attack in reaction to the white flash and dodge away.

Why wasnt this a baseline of the game?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finally unlocked the Quick-Change Clothes in 0, aaand suddenly the combat feels much better.

Even though the item says that it only speeds up style change speed, in actuality it lets you change styles anytime except during grabs, even during recovery of moves, which basically means that the game now has Style Cancels. Within just the hour I gotten it, I've managed to create a DIY combo breaker with Brawler style's Retaliation Counter.

And with Style Cancels, suddenly the random boss super armors become much more bearable, since now you can just Style Cancel your attack in reaction to the white flash and dodge away.

Why wasnt this a baseline of the game?
Who knows. They actually implement fast style changing in Kiwami as unlockable moves so you can cancel off of attacks, taunts etc. Both those moves, and the clothes definitely make things more fun.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Finally played through Kamuro of the Dead in Judgment. I was very happy to see enemies / models from Yakuza: Dead Souls in there. It was actually a lot of fun and once I again I have to praise the team for including so many cool side activities. I'm still in chapter 2, slowly making progress.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Pool feels weird in the remaster of Yakuza 5. I've cleared EX Hard on 3 and 4 for Pool yet could barely shoot straight here. Wonder if it was always like that or I've gotten real bad in the last couple of months since playing 4... 4 Ball still sucks ass as well, the targeting line is so inaccurate, honestly, I don't miss Pool anymore. It can stay gone unless its overhauled so the physics actually work right (or just gimme a cheat item to make it easier).

Anyway, more time spent looking round the city with Saejima, I can confirm that the ice/snow sculpture part of the city is still the most wonderful looking thing ever in the series. Saejima himself has some awesome combo's to play with thanks to several moves ending in wall bounce or with the enemies in the air, I'm loving it! Taking it slow with the actual plot, as I barely actually did anything in that department... Tempted to head back to the mountain for some extra cash, not even started the hostess stuff yet!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Yeah RGG pool has never been good ... at least compared to Virtual Pool on PC or some of the arcade games :/

I cannot believe i am back to playing Pachinko for hours...
I'm already clocking an hour and a half at Virtua Fighter ...
*sigh*
i am just punishing myself.

If only there were more songs in Taiko no Tatsujin...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah RGG pool has never been good ... at least compared to Virtual Pool on PC or some of the arcade games :/

I cannot believe i am back to playing Pachinko for hours...
I'm already clocking an hour and a half at Virtua Fighter ...
*sigh*
i am just punishing myself.

If only there were more songs in Taiko no Tatsujin...
Strange thing is, aside from Four Ball I felt Pool worked well in 3 and 4. But for some bizarre reason I've had shit luck all day with 5's, and I'm honestly confused. Its never been my favourite mini game but I thought I really improved with 3 especially, super strange as I assume that the mini game is mainly recycled from game to game. If I cared enough, I'd boot 3 or 4 up to compare, but I'd rather hunt more instead!

As for Pachinko, I'm waiting to get the cheat items before starting, I love the presentation but the payouts take forever otherwise. Still, I love this:

I really love the song for VF's Pachinko when you hit the jackpot.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyway, more time spent looking round the city with Saejima, I can confirm that the ice/snow sculpture part of the city is still the most wonderful looking thing ever in the series. Saejima himself has some awesome combo's to play with thanks to several moves ending in wall bounce or with the enemies in the air, I'm loving it! Taking it slow with the actual plot, as I barely actually did anything in that department... Tempted to head back to the mountain for some extra cash, not even started the hostess stuff yet!
Dang. Even though Y3 is my preference of the PS3 titles getting the HD remaster treatment, I think I'm most hyped to revisit Y5. So much great content in that game. All those crazy setpieces, those cities that I haven't seen since and those wild jobs like racing and hunting. I wanna revisit it again in 60fps.

I recall Yakuza 5 had some real great dungeons too, or whatever you call the lengthy combat stages in Yakuza.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Even though Y3 is my preference of the PS3 titles getting the HD remaster treatment, I think I'm most hyped to revisit Y5. So much great content in that game. All those crazy setpieces, those cities that I haven't seen since and those wild jobs like racing and hunting. I wanna revisit it again in 60fps.

I recall Yakuza 5 had some real great dungeons too, or whatever you call the lengthy combat stages in Yakuza.
Both 3 and 5 benefit most from the remasters. 3 because it looks like ass playing it on a PS3 these days and 5 because it runs infinitely smoother now. 4 was the best of both worlds looking better than 3 and also running pretty good (from memory). Also, Sapporo looks even better at night. I was actually exploring mostly at sunset, now the sun has gone down and the entire city just pops even more - the lights and the cold, winter atmosphere (snow sure helps) just exemplifies how damn nice it looks (and the snow festival area looks even better with the lights all on etc.)
Hunting also had some hilarious moments yesterday due to the spawning - not quite on the level of cougar attacks in RDR/GTA V but its hilarious when you take down something like a rabbit, only to hear the battle music start up and two bears start charging at you!

I'm taking the game insanely slow, but its been super fun doing it. I know I can get months of play out of this as I go for the 100% completion. Almost done the challenge/trick mode on Pool now, might do some Bowling later if I feel like it (or if my Hostess date is interested!)

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah i'm eager to revisit 5 too, I pretty much bought it and completed it on PS3 but ignored the vast majority of the side contents, the game is packed to the point of bloat but I'd love to try it again in 60FPS...same with 3 and 4 tbh. 3's the first one I played so i'd like to revisit it now with more overall knowledge of the serie. (:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Playing 5 slow in smaller chunks really lets you appreciate it all, even if I've been making fuck all actual progress lately. Just doing a bit of hostess dating here, Pool there, and playing with the combat/unlocking heat moves/weapons for modding etc. Avoids any burn out as well. My only real issue is not wanting to switch characters because I still have lots to do, but I'm basically at the end of Saejima's chapter... oh well, Haruka will be a nice change of pace. I still have that Santa fighters side story to do before I leave Sapporo anyway (might head back to the mountain for some more golden deer hunting as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think Sapporo is the location I've spent the least amount of time in, from the whole series. I remember just blazing through those chapters. The time also felt shortened since you spend the first bit of his chapters in prison and then in the hunting town.

Going to really take my time when I get back to it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, only 1 of his four chapters is based there, so you could totally blast through it quick. Though in my case I'm making sure to take my time. Finally moving on with the story, and since I managed to bag two more golden deer, I can retire from hunting for at least a little while with plenty of cash! (which in turn makes modding go faster).
Pool now completely done, just cleared the challenge/trick shot mode, the two ramp centric challenges took the longest to clear due to you requiring the perfect angle to win.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Kiryu figure comes out soon ($99.99) incase anyone is interested

BmdKRcW.jpg

(official site)

(good store to buy from for US buyers)
Good god, at first sight I thought he was vaping

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd forgotten snowball fights were a thing in Yakuza 5. Lol, 5 got some really weird mini games!

Also, also cracks me up the range of side stories that Saejima gets in 5 - On the one hand, you have a really nice story where Saejima is helping a little girl sell matches to make a few yen to buy her mother a present, and the next moment you have Saejima dressed as Santa, running away from a bunch of kids only to run into a bunch of thugs trying to extort presents from Santa (cue big fight!).

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm trying to figure out a way to mod Yakuza 0 to give the Quick Change Clothes to Majima, the first oddity I found with the files is that not only all the file names are in perfect English (shout-outs to DORYA1.cpa and DORYA2.cpa tho, looks like the devs play Tekken), but also some the file types are from weird sources:

.par which is used for model data is either from flight-sims or a Japanese type of file encoding
.cpa which is used primarily to script the main storyline missions is apparently from a CAD program
.cfc which is used only to store the game's movelist is from an old Adobe website creator

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Saejima's part of Yakuza 5 earlier. Its taken 7 years, 3 playthroughs of that part over both PS3 and now PS4 but I think I understand just how Saejima managed to
pull off that kidnapping... basically he was always supposed to pull it off that way. I guess? I mean, Baba pointed out to him the sewer system, Kitakata knew he was coming (because Majima wanted him to pass on a message to Saejima) and the Omi needed them to meet (and we know Baba and the chairman of Omi had been pulling strings this entire time. Its the only way it makes sense how none of the police presence noticed (or if they did, never acted) when Saejima made a hilarious kidnapping in broad daylight in front of 30 people (the number of seats at the Snow Festival - yes I really did count them all) plus other crowds gathered. The planes would provide a good excuse for most people to be looking elsewhere, as well as a loud noise to distract...

Its one of the most entertaining moments in the game, unlike how hilariously stupid the cast get in the finale of Yakuza 4, this bit always stuck in my mind just because of how ridiculous it really is!

Anyway, boss fight was a blast and if you have Saejima all leveled up and an affinity to know what chains into what he's an absolute blast to play. Cleared Pool, Bowling and the Snowball fights in the chapter and now look forward to doing some mini games with Haruka, and just taking a break from all the fighting until Akiyama makes his grand entrance. I'm about 48 hours into the game, 27%ish completion wise... its gonna take me a while for sure!

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is 0 extremely picky with juggling airborne opponents? It's like the opposite of Judgement where unless you're perfectly perpendicular to a wall the game would only allow 1 hit before the enemy harmlessly flies away too far.

An easy example to see this in action is to equip Quick Change Clothes and Style Cancel the gutpunch finisher in the Square-Square-Triangle Brawler combo, apparently for everyone the whole time they're holding their gut they're considered airborne. (Tho its still better than what you get from the finisher without Style Cancel, as in absolutely nothing because it doesnt knock-down)

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Hi fellow Yakuza fans. I've played 0 (one of the best games ever), Kiwami and Kiwami 2 (almost as good as 0). I really want to play 6 and actually have a physical copy, but should I wait until I can play 3, 4, and 5 before doing so? Are there any out of those three that are more skippable than not? Also, apparently the rest of the games are getting the Kiwami treatment, if this is true how long until they're released?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
No more games are getting the Kiwami treatment. That's not true. 3, 4 and 5 are merely getting remasters on the PS4. Well, "got" not "getting" as they are already out in Japan. I won't bore you with the same story yet again but basically it boils down to localisations being done for the 3 games, and that would take uneven amounts of work due to some titles needing more work than others (Google "Yakuza 3 cut content" to find out more).

As for skippable games. All of them or none. All games are self contained. There's no strict need to play any, but its well worth playing all of them. Also, anyone posting that says 3 is worth skipping is not to be trusted. That game rocks.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As for skippable games. All of them or none. All games are self contained. There's no strict need to play any, but its well worth playing all of them. Also, anyone posting that says 3 is worth skipping is not to be trusted. That game rocks.
But if you do wanna play localized 3, you really need to wait for the remastered version because original PS3 3 has some cut sidequests

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
But if you do wanna play localized 3, you really need to wait for the remastered version because original PS3 3 has some cut sidequests
Well, seeing as I've already finished the remastered version of 3, yeah I agree on that. But maybe that person doesn't want to wait? Seeing as those remasters aren't coming out over here currently.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine says he got the Yakuza movie. Is it wprth eatching for someone who loves anything related to the series?

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget to watch the video prologue to Yakuza 1 while your at it. I only just realised that existed, seems that Sega really went all out promoting that game back in the day (well, in Japan, less said about Western promo the better)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I did. But since this is taking so long (and I don't know if the OP is on-line 24h/7d) I made the question. Jesus.
The thread title was changed because people kept asking the question, and not just reading the thread (the question is basically asked every page of every Yakuza thread at this point). So I'd say I'm sorry for my tone, but I'm really not. It takes seconds to find your answer, rather than posting the same question yet again.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
So I'm debating on whether I want to jump into 0 or Kiwami 2. The only one I've played is Kiwami. I've taken a break since beating that, but now I'm feeling the Yakuza itch again. Help.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm debating on whether I want to jump into 0 or Kiwami 2. The only one I've played is Kiwami. I've taken a break since beating that, but now I'm feeling the Yakuza itch again. Help.
Go 0. It's on the same engine as kiwami 1. Less danger of getting used to the new engine and then having to go back also 0 feeds right into kiwami in a lot of ways so it's also narrative wise better than moving into a completely new story.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. 0 first. But if you go with Kiwami 2, just make sure you don't do Majima's chapters until after 0. Else they'll make no sense.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
No more games are getting the Kiwami treatment. That's not true. 3, 4 and 5 are merely getting remasters on the PS4. Well, "got" not "getting" as they are already out in Japan. I won't bore you with the same story yet again but basically it boils down to localisations being done for the 3 games, and that would take uneven amounts of work due to some titles needing more work than others (Google "Yakuza 3 cut content" to find out more).

Ahh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. When are the remasters going to come out in North America?

I'd agree they seem to be mostly self contained, but it was a lot more exciting to play Kiwami 2 right after Kiwami 1 (well, not right after, I took a break but you know what I mean). And it did seem to help playing the previous game to better get a grasp on the plot and how previous events made an impact. Given that 6 is basically the end of Kiryu's story, would it not make more sense to play through the older games first as I'm sure things in his past from those games are at least referenced in the story? Plus a lot of things probably change from 2 to 6.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. When are the remasters going to come out in North America?

I'd agree they seem to be mostly self contained, but it was a lot more exciting to play Kiwami 2 right after Kiwami 1 (well, not right after, I took a break but you know what I mean). And it did seem to help playing the previous game to better get a grasp on the plot and how previous events made an impact. Given that 6 is basically the end of Kiryu's story, would it not make more sense to play through the older games first as I'm sure things in his past from those games are at least referenced in the story? Plus a lot of things probably change from 2 to 6.
Story wise the only thing from 6 that truly matters is the end of 5. You'll see why when you play it. Otherwise you could quite easily play maybe just the beginning of 3 for a couple of bits of plot, then jump straight to 6 and not really miss much. As I said, the stories are technically self contained, no crazy flying swords in caves in this game!
But for maximum emotional impact, of course playing the games in order will be worthwhile, just not absolutely required.

As for the remasters. Smarch 13th.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
"Serious update" about RGG Online coming tomorrow. Its not exactly been a huge smash, so who knows what this means. Chapter 20 of the story was just released as well, and it doesn't seem like they are close to finishing it unless chapter 20 is several hours long and deals with the many lingering questions with the plot.
Oh, and it looks like they've got Mine in the game, yay!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So... RGG Online is getting "relaunched":

Whatever that actually means, the site/twitter doesn't really detail much. Just that they'll be working with players more to make it something that they'll want to play. So basically, they aren't giving up on it (not that I assumed they would, seeing as they just released the Mine content, oh and you can get a Kanda SSR card if your lucky. I loved his boss fight in 3...)

And no, there's still no release outside of Japan/Asia. So you can't play this in English.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
1,5h into Judgement and the presentation is top notch, not to mention the Dragon Engine is looking better then ever. Shin Yakuza is gonna look so good.

Only wish they hadn't taken the character bio in the menu, it was good for keeping track of all the character names.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
So... RGG Online is getting "relaunched":

Whatever that actually means, the site/twitter doesn't really detail much. Just that they'll be working with players more to make it something that they'll want to play. So basically, they aren't giving up on it (not that I assumed they would, seeing as they just released the Mine content, oh and you can get a Kanda SSR card if your lucky. I loved his boss fight in 3...)

And no, there's still no release outside of Japan/Asia. So you can't play this in English.

Looks like it bombed pretty hard then. Well, good on them for trying to redo it and try again. I would definitely give it a shot if they would release an English version. But honestly, I would only be there for the story anyway.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Hiroyuki Miyasako has now retired from the entertainment industry after his contract was terminated. I wonder if this would affect a PC or next gen port of Yakuza 6.

He was also a voice in Yakuza 3 (Tsuyoski Kanda), hopefully if/when the PS4 port comes to the west it isn't also impacted.
ah8oylb8ekfdhtr2gg35.png

n-comedian-a-20190625.jpg

"A photo of him accompanying a gold theft suspect currently under indictment appeared in the weekly magazine "Friday" released on July 19, and his response has been drawing attention."

"Miyasako, a member of the comedy duo "Ameagari Kesshitai," and other entertainers belonging to Yoshimoto Kogyo Holdings Co. had received such work not via the company. The comedians had initially said they did not know the party was organized by an antisocial organization and denied receiving any money for their appearances, but later admitted to receiving the money and were suspended.
The 49-year-old had received 1 million yen for appearing at the event. He has already amended his tax returns to include the remuneration as taxable income and donated part of the money to a public interest group."