• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Playing around on Yakuza 4 all day yesterday and this caught my eye:

D2w9m_sXcAYef_G.jpg:large

Mushiking! They warned us a good 6 years before it actually appeared in Yakuza Kiwami as the mini game Mesuking. Of course its hardly the only arcade game that pops up that you can't play but I found this one funny because of what they did in Kiwami. Speaking of unplayable, as expected AxA is unplayable in the PS4 port (and I breath a sigh of relief, I can't play those quiz games in Engish let alone Japanese unless the questions are all about Capcom games).

Anyway, progress on 4 is going a little too fast for me. Chapter 2 ended in a blink of an eye so my third chapter as Akiyama has mainly been focused on his great side stories (mainly focused around his money lending activities) and doing some mini games here and there. Managed to get some of the hostess related trophies - namely the one where she wears a present you buy her (was lucky to get that first time, never got it before). Did a little Karaoke (Akiyama and Hana singing is still one of the best things in the series, Hana rocks). Also been doing more Pool, cleared all easy/normal/hard games and just have expert to go. Really the only issue I have with Pool is how hilariously inaccurate the aiming line is in 4 ball at times, I've got screwed over so many times yet for count up I managed to clear it second time against a hard opponent. I'm actually quite enjoying Pool now after managing to completely clear it in 3, its still a tad annoying at times but my knowledge from 3 definitely helps appreciate it more.

Other than that I've been leveling Akiyama up more (his Tiger Drop counter rocks) and I really should actually do more of the story to open up more, yet I'm really not bored of doing side stuff! I think people will really be happy as and when 3-5 finally make it over to Western shores on the PS4, they aren't completely brand new remakes but the work they did on them improve the games so much.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finally bought Yakuza Kiwami 2! Can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow.

Do we have any information on Yakua 3-5 rereleases on PS4 for the west?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
At this point the OT title should be changed to "no, still no news on 3-5". Same as last week, no news ;) I doubt we'll hear anything before Judgment or 5 is out in Japan. Which is sorta good news as they are both out in the same 7 day period which is around E3. So lets hope for news around about that time (as I doubt the Sega FES event this weekend will have any news since its Japan focused).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Next week in game magazines! ;)

Pretty dope that Mesuking was actually in Yakuza 4, just not playable. Even if it did caught my eye back then, I'm sure I would've easily forgotten about it. Love that they put it in Kiwami 1 then. And hey, it actually makes sense. Because 4 takes place years after 1. By then the Mesuking craze was already gone, so it makes sense that there's only a few machines somewhere in the corner of Club Sega.

For real though: I love all the background details they put into the games. I could spend hours looking at the ads in buildings etc. That's what helps to make those games so special.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's some really nice details, that are more noticeable in these remasters - the ads and building signs being more readable is certainly a big improvement - best place to compare this point is going between PS3 and PS4 versions of Yakuza 3 - the entrance to the Ryuuku Market - the signs in the PS4 version are way more readable (and it looks really nice to boot!)
Its also one of the games I kinda like the in game advertising - the real places to visit, the real adverts for stuff like Nico Nico etc. makes it feel like the real city, ditto with all the drinks, food and video games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You remember RGG Online? The game that boasts a brand new main character? (Ichiban). Well Kiryu's back already:

By which I of course mean they are adding Yakuza 1's story to RGG Online to play through. What? You didn't think they'd get rid of Ichiban quite that quick!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Haruto getting dragged in would be a bad, tropey move. Especially after the ending of 6 it'd cheapen the ending to just do that. Plus thankfully the games stick to current year so a playable Haruto won't be happening until something like 2035 at the earliest!
That said, I'd love a Blade Runner-ish futuristic Yakuza game (as in, Yakuza but in the far flung future). And yes, still have the game set in Kamurocho. Make it a crossover with Binary Domain for maximum awesomeness.

Anyway, almost done with Akiyama's chapter on RGG4 now. Just cleared the Chainsaw boss whom I'd completely forgotten about (I really do question how much of this game I remember). Now doing the No.1 Hostess stuff which is still strangely addictive despite not being anywhere near as good as later Cabaret stuff.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Nah. Haruto getting dragged in would be a bad, tropey move. Especially after the ending of 6 it'd cheapen the ending to just do that. Plus thankfully the games stick to current year so a playable Haruto won't be happening until something like 2035 at the earliest!
That said, I'd love a Blade Runner-ish futuristic Yakuza game (as in, Yakuza but in the far flung future). And yes, still have the game set in Kamurocho. Make it a crossover with Binary Domain for maximum awesomeness.

Anyway, almost done with Akiyama's chapter on RGG4 now. Just cleared the Chainsaw boss whom I'd completely forgotten about (I really do question how much of this game I remember). Now doing the No.1 Hostess stuff which is still strangely addictive despite not being anywhere near as good as later Cabaret stuff.

Yeah I wasn't really serious although it would fit the soap opera melodrama of the series quite well. Plus I mean from a certain point of view they cheapened 5s ending by making 6, right?

The next main line character should obviously be a secret Majima love child ;)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be hilarious. I can think of a game that'd parallel Majima/boi Majima well, but its spoilery as it was just released, I'm thinking
Devil May Cry 5 (if you've played it, you know where I'm going here)
. Unknown/unwanted kid, but eventually him, Kiryu and Majima come together to defeat the big bad for reasons who knows. Either that or just play the game as a straight up serious Majima dad sim - which somehow might actually be even funnier.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
He's right. There needs to be another Dojima to redeem the name, and it'd be an interesting concept story wise as well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Daigo... (Yakuza Online spoilers)
He's in prison again. Lol. His most recent arrest was used to dismantle the Tojo Clan, so I wonder what they'll do with him in Shin RGG. I'd rather have him go into hiding RGG5 style, hitmen and cops after him, and this time unlike in 5 he actually manages to make a grand reappearance and get that badass moment he's been needing for all those years.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Ah Daigo... (Yakuza Online spoilers)
He's in prison again. Lol. His most recent arrest was used to dismantle the Tojo Clan, so I wonder what they'll do with him in Shin RGG. I'd rather have him go into hiding RGG5 style, hitmen and cops after him, and this time unlike in 5 he actually manages to make a grand reappearance and get that badass moment he's been needing for all those years.

LMAO.

*extremely 1980s sitcom voice* That's our Daigo!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Tatsuya. After the second game he actually deserved to return in a main line series (at least as a cameo). He had quite a cool character arc over the two games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit I'm happy that its coming before 6 (which was leaked last year). It really wouldn't make much sense storywise doing it the other way. Though I take this as silent approval that plans for 3-5 on PC will happen as well, probably sooner rather than later (might we see day and date PC ports with the Western releases?)

Definitely looking to get a new PC now. 60FPS Dragon Engine is my bar of entry.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese RGG Youtube channel just uploaded gameplay of Shin RGG. Turns out Nagoshi was right, the game has gotten a dramatic shift in tone. Namely, its an insane RPG now and not a brawler:

And if it isn't obvious by the file name and end of vid. This is just a fantastic April Fools joke. But I do want that as a boss in the actual game one way or another (and gamepay wise, that actually looked pretty awesome).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Love how they took inspiration from the Persona 5 HUD for it. April Fools day in Japan is literally the best and the worst. Creators are showing off so much cool shit you want, but (in most cases) never going to get.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you asked the same question twice in one page over the course of a couple of days even after I responded about it... And to be fair, its not just one person asking it but it happens every page, I'm sure there will be a big post or several about this when they are finally announced, but its probably not until Judgment is at least nearing release.

Anyway, looks like Kiwami 2 on the PC is a done deal with PEGI rating it as well. Now I just need the specs to get a new PC capable of running it at 60+ FPS.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Hopefully don't cause trouble but I reported the original post in the thread to see if we can get a mod to change the title :-). I mean I was guilty of the same thing when I got into the series (asking about the remasters) and it's awesome people are so excited.

Edit: wow it's done already, thanks mods!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that. Its getting annoying honestly. Its great people want the games, but it wouldn't hurt to read the last page or two or maybe Google it quick, as its been asked so many times at this point.

And for what its worth, Yakuza 4's remaster pulls save data from Judge Eyes to give you a reward when you start the game, so I don't see the games getting a hint of a release before that game is out.

Hamster0

Dec 4, 2018
Just finished all the Haruka missions in Kiwami 2, some of them were a pretty big pain to finish.

Poker, Golf, and Koi-Koi were the roughest.

Haruka wants me to win 1000 coins in Poker? I initially thought it was all in one hand, and felt it was impossible since the CPU would fold/call before reaching anywhere near 1000 coins, I ended up looking it up after getting frustrated, and was at it for about 1.5 hours. Turned out you just need to hit 1000 coins over what you started with, eg. if you have 1000 coins to bet, you had to hit 2000 before you quit.

Getting the full board in Golf Bingo took awhile, got it in the end after about 1 hour. had to hit the numbers in a specific order to make the last few easier.

Koi-Koi, I had no idea how to play this at all, and having to get 500pts seemed impossible even with the lucky Hanafuda item. Eventually figured how to play, and started to really enjoy it at the end.

I'm somewhat close to finishing the completion list, I'm wondering if I should attempt to finish it all. The Mahjong and Shogi mini games are going to be huge roadblocks for me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice going on clearing those Hamster0 . That's probably the hardest stuff out of the way, well maybe the last mission on the hardest difficulty (I forget the name of the side activity, but its the linear battles you do from Debolah) is up there, as it can be pretty tough on hard mode. But still possible.

Mahjong yeah, you can get some cheat items (like, 2 or 3 in the entire game) to help a bit, but you still need to know what your doing for the rest. For Shogi, there's an option that the game tells you the next best move, its basically just a matter of waiting for the game to tell you where to move next. Not exactly the most satisfying way to play, but I still can't learn the damn game even though I've tried a few times!

Natty - Koi Koi should have an option in the menu to show winning cards when your basically one card away from winning. So make sure that's enabled. Then just learn which cards give you good hands (basically, as you get cards they go on 1 of 4 piles - the third and fourth piles which are cloest to the right hand side of the board are the ones that usually give you the best hands). So its the exotic looking ones, the ones with animals etc. It takes a while to learn, but it makes sense when you've played a few games. Also, you can tweak the rounds and AI difficulty, and keep in mind that while more rounds = more points, it also gives the AI more chance to to pull a comeback (and believe me, when they do it hurts) so tweak those to your preference but always try blocking the AI from winning, even if it means you only get a point out of the match.

Jul 24, 2018
So where is it that you need to go to craft medikits and healing items in Judge Eyes? Do you learn any counters akin to Tiger Drop and heat actions to counter gun wielding thugs?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So where is it that you need to go to craft medikits and healing items in Judge Eyes? Do you learn any counters akin to Tiger Drop and heat actions to counter gun wielding thugs?

Healing items - you can buy food or drinks in the Poppo Marts, later in the game you'll unlock a crowd funding app on your phone that lets you fund (and then buy) better healing drinks. But for med kits to clear those nasty attacks that decrease your health bar you have to go to Childrens Park or the Batting Cages and then take the manhole down to the sewers. There you'll find a doctor who will give you the option to either buy med kits (do this) or heal you fully for 200,000 yen (don't do this, its a complete rip off when med kits are only 40-80K)

Tiger Drop? Yup. But you gotta find it. Early in the game you get a side story that introduces you to your drone some more - racing, taking snaps of QR codes etc. that are littered around the city. Now there are two types (I think) of QR Codes - one is for drone parts for racing, one is for hidden moves (you don't need the drone to find every one of these). There should only be 5 moves to find via QR, one of which is the awesome Tiger Drop (point, its more like the older TD's where its easier to pull off and does more damage, unlike the last two games).

Now as for finding them: There's a upgrade you unlock via your phone that gives your drone a radar for QR codes. Whenever your exploring normally (as in, walking about) you get a little jingle when your close to one. So unlock that asap. Need more specific instructions, try looking here:

In the south of Champion District in the small abandoned area. There is a move QR code high on the wall. Use your drone to reach it. I think that's where the Tiger Drop is.
In the batting cages. Head out the back door (not the normal entrance) to the cages and you should see the poster in the corridor - its in the same area as the baseball player you can become friends with.
From New Serena head north - now you should have three options - continue Up to Theatre Square, head right to the millennium tower and head left to a street that has a couple of restaurants. Go left. Now, there should be an enterable building that takes you up to the second floor of an office - you'll actually come here eventually anyway if you do all the side quests. In this area there will be a poster on the wall for another move.

Note -- these are all from memory, my memory. Therefore there's a good chance I'm wrong. Happy hunting!

Jul 24, 2018
Healing items - you can buy food or drinks in the Poppo Marts, later in the game you'll unlock a crowd funding app on your phone that lets you fund (and then buy) better healing drinks. But for med kits to clear those nasty attacks that decrease your health bar you have to go to Childrens Park or the Batting Cages and then take the manhole down to the sewers. There you'll find a doctor who will give you the option to either buy med kits (do this) or heal you fully for 200,000 yen (don't do this, its a complete rip off when med kits are only 40-80K)

Tiger Drop? Yup. But you gotta find it. Early in the game you get a side story that introduces you to your drone some more - racing, taking snaps of QR codes etc. that are littered around the city. Now there are two types (I think) of QR Codes - one is for drone parts for racing, one is for hidden moves (you don't need the drone to find every one of these). There should only be 5 moves to find via QR, one of which is the awesome Tiger Drop (point, its more like the older TD's where its easier to pull off and does more damage, unlike the last two games).

Now as for finding them: There's a upgrade you unlock via your phone that gives your drone a radar for QR codes. Whenever your exploring normally (as in, walking about) you get a little jingle when your close to one. So unlock that asap. Need more specific instructions, try looking here:

In the south of Champion District in the small abandoned area. There is a move QR code high on the wall. Use your drone to reach it. I think that's where the Tiger Drop is.
In the batting cages. Head out the back door (not the normal entrance) to the cages and you should see the poster in the corridor - its in the same area as the baseball player you can become friends with.
From New Serena head north - now you should have three options - continue Up to Theatre Square, head right to the millennium tower and head left to a street that has a couple of restaurants. Go left. Now, there should be an enterable building that takes you up to the second floor of an office - you'll actually come here eventually anyway if you do all the side quests. In this area there will be a poster on the wall for another move.

Note -- these are all from memory, my memory. Therefore there's a good chance I'm wrong. Happy hunting!
This os actually quite helpful, have a map for all the codes?

Also, is this the alleged Tiger Drop esque move?
wJAYY57.jpg
Also, are there any other counters/parries you can get in this? As well as heat actions to counter dudes with guns as they are quite of a nuisance.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
No map, I didn't need it as the radar did all the work for me, you'll probably be exploring the map loads anyway so you should fall over all of them if your doing all the other side stuff. I can't view the image now, but just look in your upgrades menu and see if its listed to unlock (its performed in the same way - R1 + Triangle).

No gun heat move. There's so few gunmen in the game that I never needed it - especially when you can just take them out in one attack with a grab move from a wall. Also keep in mind your invincible when in Heat Burst mode. So definitely use that to your advantage if you have meter.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of my favourite April Fools jokes in recent times. Only other that compares is Fighting EX Layer - and that ended up actually real. Lets hope similar can happen here to some extent. If nothing else, its a good concept that can be recycled, and judging by most of the feedback I've seen people really liked it.

Meanwhile, spent a nice amount of time toying with the hostess maker in Yakuza 4 today. Should have the first one complete tomorrow. Its an entertaining diversion for a little while but like in 3 its a bit too simple in places. In terms of management modes in 4 - Saejima comes out on top with his awesome train a fighter mode, so looking forward to seeing Sodachi again and doing that mode :)

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips to level up the coliseum in Kiwami 2 or is it just a grind? Just do the the most difficult ones to get the most points?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips to level up the coliseum in Kiwami 2 or is it just a grind? Just do the the most difficult ones to get the most points?
Well, just to check. Are you trying to open up the last two fighting tournaments? Because if your grinding to unlock them, you shouldn't need to. The last two have special unlock requirements outside the arena. The penultimate one unlocks when you clear all the story missions on the Clan Creator, and the final tourney unlocks once all side stories are complete.
Other than that, yeah just play the hardest tournaments to get the most points - heat finishers, fast finishes and perfect KO's should get you more points as well. But really I just did loads of the 8 player brawls because they were so darn fun, especially once you clear chapter 13.