• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think I will just wait at this point. You have to buy the whole collection now if you want to play Yakuza 3.
I will go to the store and pre order the collection first thing tomorrow.

I guess it is time to replay Dead Souls.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
very excited to get home tonight.
Its been a good day for Sega properties that involve fighting and martial arts. Shenmue 3's new trailer looks exactly like the game I've always wanted and now this. And PS4 being BC going into PS5 seems like another win, carrying the entire series forward will be super handy.

I think I will just wait at this point. You have to buy the whole collection now if you want to play Yakuza 3.
I will go to the store and pre order the collection first thing tomorrow.

I guess it is time to replay Dead Souls.
Honestly I'd have waited if it was more money, but for me £50 is impulse purchase territory for this series. I get other people might not see it this way - but the £50 price tag is insanely cheap for what you get.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm so upset it's not up on US PSN. I happen to have today off.

Also, fuckin' LOL at so many posts complaining about the games being bundled. Like, half of the forum that doesnt even buy/play the games spends 2 years clogging up every Yakuza thread asking about the remasters, and then they're dropped and people instantly shift to complaining about them being sold as a bundle. Come ON.

Oct 27, 2017
Its been a good day for Sega properties that involve fighting and martial arts. Shenmue 3's new trailer looks exactly like the game I've always wanted and now this. And PS4 being BC going into PS5 seems like another win, carrying the entire series forward will be super handy.

Honestly I'd have waited if it was more money, but for me £50 is impulse purchase territory for this series. I get other people might not see it this way - but the £50 price tag is insanely cheap for what you get.
It is definetly a very good price.
I would love to buy it on digital and physical but I am unemployed as of this minute so I will have to cut down on things.
I wanted to support them by getting Yakuza 3 (well that and I was dying to replay the game) but I guess it would be best to wait it out.

Though, I might end up getting it anyway after some time because I am itching for more Yakuza.

people

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my, I don't think there is enough time to finish this..
yakuza0_2019082019363txjna.png

20190820194628_22k9kkk.png

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I'm so upset it's not up on US PSN. I happen to have today off.

Also, fuckin' LOL at so many posts complaining about the games being bundled. Like, half of the forum that doesnt even buy/play the games spends 2 years clogging up every Yakuza thread asking about the remasters, and then they're dropped and people instantly shift to complaining about them being sold as a bundle. Come ON.

enjoy your day off: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA15325_00-YAKUZAREMASTERED

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, yes yes yes give me Yakuza 5 case as a collective. Who had that idea is a genius.

Agreed. I loved the plot in 0, but its so weird to see a reluctant Majima when he's been bloodthirsty in all the previous games. I mean, one of his original traits (that has seemingly been forgotten) is in earlier games he always wanted to be the guy that killed Kiryu. And yet somehow Kiryu's friendship with him never faltered... they truly are the oddest couple in videogames.

Oh, and its great news to see the collection coming out in English. Once it's officially confirmed someone should probably change that tread title! Still sorta crazy to think of all three games released in one package though. While 3 has definitely less content than later games a trophy/100% completion run will still take around 100 hours, with 4 and 5 easily passing that for 100% runs. That amount of content in this collection... a bargain at $60 or even twice the price!

Also woo! Overhauled localisation, side story markers (super important since they are missable) and released today? Guess I'll quintuple dip as I'll get them physically as well next year!

Yep i wanted to see more of the end game Majima where he was completely unhinged because of Makoto. Too bad it ended shortly after that.

At this point i just don't have time to replay all this games.
Im playing Judgement now, Kiwami 2 im saving it for another time (Y2 is my favorite) and now here comes Y3 Y4 and Y5. And then at some point Yakuza Shin and maybe Ishin.
Gonna buy the collection in day one though.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Quick cross posting of my check on Yakuza 3 (now its downloaded):
Booted the game up quick, just wanted to check a couple of things, as I'm already knee deep in 5 on my PS4, I wasn't planning on playing 3 just yet (even if that story is pulling me right back in).

Just in case anyone wonders, the music cuts are still... cut. Pity as that means the main theme (Loser) is out (a cut down version of "Fly" takes its place, which is at least an excellent substitute) and also some cutscene music later in chapter 11 I believe will be changed (again, huge pity as that really adds to an already powerful scene).

On the brighter side, a quick look at the completion list shows that 19 mini games are in. I don't need to check which, that's the same as the Japanese PS4 release, so only AxA is cut as expected. All 10 hostesses are listed as well, as you'd expect. As side story numbers don't appear like in later games (like saying you've completed 0/100) its impossible to say how many are in this version of 3, though I'd wager its 119 - there were 123 originally, the three transphobic ones will still be cut, and the one tied to AxA will unsurprisingly still be cut as well. So aside from music, this seems identical to the Japanese PS4 release, which is excellent news.

Rewatching the first couple of cutscenes and already they properly name Kazama instead of Fuma - so 100x better translation for that alone. The rest of the locasation - font wise etc. looks great. I look forward to yet again replaying this game once I get through with a few other Yakuza games sitting on my replay pile!

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
New localization seems to focus more on the events of 0-kiwami 2 so far as well (elderly man talking to Kiryu prompts him to bring up lots of stuff about Jingweon Mafia), too. It's just way better than the PS3 localization IMO

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just picked up Yakuza 0 in the sale. Got the first three now, picking the collection as soon as it's complete.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at some comparisons between the PS3 and PS4 localisations and its crazy - its not a name change here or there, its a straight up sentence by sentence retranslation. That's the dedication we get for Yakuza these days, and why I happily throw money at the localisations, frankly they deserve every penny and then some.

Just picked up Yakuza 0 in the sale. Got the first three now, picking the collection as soon as it's complete.
No need to rush through them all, the series is best enjoyed slow in my opinion. I've been playing Yakuza 5 since June, I reckon I can get the main story cleared next week and then 100%ed in another month or so (its pretty damn big). But glad to hear your diving into the series :)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Looking at some comparisons between the PS3 and PS4 localisations and its crazy - its not a name change here or there, its a straight up sentence by sentence retranslation. That's the dedication we get for Yakuza these days, and why I happily throw money at the localisations, frankly they deserve every penny and then some.

No need to rush through them all, the series is best enjoyed slow in my opinion. I've been playing Yakuza 5 since June, I reckon I can get the main story cleared next week and then 100%ed in another month or so (its pretty damn big). But glad to hear your diving into the series :)
I've been playing Kiwami for the past month and I must be like halfway through lol. Taking my time with the games, by the time the collection releases I'll likely still have Kiwami 2 in my backlog.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Kiwami for the past month and I must be like halfway through lol. Taking my time with the games, by the time the collection releases I'll likely still have Kiwami 2 in my backlog.
I wanted to get through Kenzan and maybe Judgment before the end of the year. But I assumed Yakuza 5 wouldn't have taken this long. But on the bright side, I'll never be without a Yakuza game to replay! Its a delightful problem to have!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So... thinking about this reveal today, makes me wonder what tomorrows Gamescom panel will be about (I'd have assumed the announcement would have been then). Kinda hope we get to hear some of the details behind them re-localising 3 etc. Should make for an interesting conversation.

Oct 27, 2017
So... thinking about this reveal today, makes me wonder what tomorrows Gamescom panel will be about (I'd have assumed the announcement would have been then). Kinda hope we get to hear some of the details behind them re-localising 3 etc. Should make for an interesting conversation.
Binary Domain Kiwami
Binary Domain 2
Dead Souls Kiwami
Dead Souls 2
First of the North Star 2
Yakuza South town
Black Panther Kiwami
Black Panther Kiwami 2
Yakuza Ishin in English
Yakuza Kenzan Kiwami with adjusted plot
Yakuza 0-2

ANNOUNCED.

I would love to hear more about the localization as you say. I doubt they will announce any game but it would be cool if they just talked about these stuff. And if someone from the japanese team is on there then I hope they talk about FOTNS, Binary Domain and Black Panther.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wonder if they even remember the PSP games. I mean, I've not even seen a Tatsuya card in RGG Online :( He deserves some sort of recognition though, he was a great protagonist.

I'll definitely be tuning in tomorrow to see what they talk about, its cool the series even has a presence outside of Japan now :)

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

They're just going to play Yakuza 3 on stream, though Sato will be there so he'll answer some stuff.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, any news on the remas-

Hot damn, Sega. You're simply the best. That's all I have to say. Thank you so much. Looking forward to finally playing the real Yakuza 3 and not that butchered mess we got back in the day (it was still a great game, though).

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't help thinking about the state of the series in late 2015 to now. Pleased to see things drastically change for the better.

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I just help thinking about the state of the series in late 2015 to now. Pleased to see things drastically change for the better.

Yeah, I was thinking about this again the other day, too. It's been a crazy ride. And it seems nothing can stop the Yakuza train for now. Being a fan from the very first hour when the original game came out, I couldn't be more happy to see the state of the franchise in the west right now.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was thinking about this again the other day, too. It's been a crazy ride. And it seems nothing can stop the Yakuza train for now. Being a fan from the very first hour when the original game came out, I couldn't be more happy to see the state of the franchise in the west right now.

There really doesn't. A simultaneous release for a Yakuza title would be the cherry on top at this point.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still own Y3 PS3, lol. I feel like I shouldn't bother with the neuter version now...
At this point all PS3 copies of the game should be rounded up and dispose of humanely ;) Seriously, I can't think of a reason to ever revisit that version unless your trophy chasing. Gotta say I'm super impressed with the dialogue comparisons I've been seeing between the old and new versions, it got me wondering how many games get this kind of official re-translation for a re-release/remaster?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This community thread need a title change.
I vote to keep it, for nostalgia's sake.

Meanwhile, been looking on discord and wow, the translation on some of these lines is... well see for yourself:
unknown.png

PS3 localisation

unknown.png

PS4 localisation

Spot the difference? The bottom one actually makes sense in context to the story, while the first one is just flat out incorrect. I've looked at several other examples which have tidied up dialogue but the above one jumped out at me because the new translation is so much more correct.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yakuza community remastered

Yakuza new era begins
l5nFhsF.jpg

I vote to keep it, for nostalgia's sake.

Meanwhile, been looking on discord and wow, the translation on some of these lines is... well see for yourself:

PS3 localisation

PS4 localisation

Spot the difference? The bottom one actually makes sense in context to the story, while the first one is just flat out incorrect. I've looked at several other examples which have tidied up dialogue but the above one jumped out at me because the new translation is so much more correct.

PS3 is more accurate to the original sentence, I guess.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza community remastered

Yakuza new era begins
l5nFhsF.jpg

PS3 is more accurate to the original sentence, I guess.
Is it? I'd say its flat out wrong - the point of the plot was that either a base or a resort were getting built with the politicians fighting over which would be chosen. I seem to recall old man bore Tamiya was all for the military base (for reasons eventually explained) while his protege was all for the resort. Which is what the PS4 version has as the translation. While the PS3 translation suggests Okinawa would be home to an awesome military base seaside resort combo!

Oh, and that reminds me for all people playing 3 for the first time - you'll get to a point where a really long conversation occurs in chapter 9 I think. But don't worry, there's a totally awesome fight/cutscene afterwards, I promise!

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally playing Fist of the North Star and it's refeshing to actually be challenged by a Yakuza game. Can't remember the last time (Amon excluded). I actually died multiple times to a boss! I love the wacky air juggle combos.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally playing Fist of the North Star and it's refeshing to actually be challenged by a Yakuza game. Can't remember the last time (Amon excluded). I actually died multiple times to a boss! I love the wacky air juggle combos.
That's exactly the same thing I found about the game. Especially on the early bosses, the game actually does't mess around and actually has you challenged by these bosses, forcing you to juggle enemies and use combos to really do damage. I'd love Shin to do similar on hard mode as well, as there is no reason why hard mode on these games should be so easy.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Is it? I'd say its flat out wrong - the point of the plot was that either a base or a resort were getting built with the politicians fighting over which would be chosen. I seem to recall old man bore Tamiya was all for the military base (for reasons eventually explained) while his protege was all for the resort. Which is what the PS4 version has as the translation. While the PS3 translation suggests Okinawa would be home to an awesome military base seaside resort combo!

Oh, and that reminds me for all people playing 3 for the first time - you'll get to a point where a really long conversation occurs in chapter 9 I think. But don't worry, there's a totally awesome fight/cutscene afterwards, I promise!
If I remember correctly, Tamiya wanted to build a military base but building it alone wouldn't be possible so he tried to proceed both resort and base together. Either way, I don't think Nakahara knows those detail well ;p

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, Tamiya wanted to build a military base but building it alone wouldn't be possible so he tried to proceed both resort and base together. Either way, I don't think Nakahara knows those detail well ;p
Hmm... yeah that certainly sounds like something he'd have tried. I forget, staying awake during his long speech just isn't possible!
but hey the fight against all the goons and Majima turning up just about made it worth sitting through!

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly the same thing I found about the game. Especially on the early bosses, the game actually does't mess around and actually has you challenged by these bosses, forcing you to juggle enemies and use combos to really do damage. I'd love Shin to do similar on hard mode as well, as there is no reason why hard mode on these games should be so easy.

I've yet to properly play a Yakuza game on legend (Y6 trophy aside). Is it the usual increase in enemy damage or is there some depth behind the difficulty?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've yet to properly play a Yakuza game on legend (Y6 trophy aside). Is it the usual increase in enemy damage or is there some depth behind the difficulty?
For FOTNS? Its a mix of enemy damage being upped and them being pretty tough to damage - as in just hitting them does little damage, you gotta hit their vital points. And to do that efficiently you really gotta combo. Feels really good when you get into the swing of things.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
For FOTNS? Its a mix of enemy damage being upped and them being pretty tough to damage - as in just hitting them does little damage, you gotta hit their vital points. And to do that efficiently you really gotta combo. Feels really good when you get into the swing of things.

Na. I meant for games in the Yakuza series.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly more aggressive and damaging. But not hard. The real difficulty element is no continues - only reloading of saves. So save often! Those long fights could really do some damage otherwise! Oh, and faster QTE's, Dead Souls is notorious for this.

More than I was expecting. I only played 3-5 on Normal first time around, but hard on 3 certainly seems a notable set up going by some footage I've seen of the remaster.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
More than I was expecting. I only played 3-5 on Normal first time around, but hard on 3 certainly seems a notable set up going by some footage I've seen of the remaster.
4 is brain dead on normal, unless you want that shiny silver trophy for completing it and 5 on normal (because no trophy stacking! yay!) I really don't suggest playing on any difficulty below hard. Because hard itself isn't actually hard either!

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
4 is brain dead on normal, unless you want that shiny silver trophy for completing it and 5 on normal (because no trophy stacking! yay!) I really don't suggest playing on any difficulty below hard. Because hard itself isn't actually hard either!

I've been hard ever since I accidentally equipped the Charismatic Autobiography in 0. The game felt so lopsided in terms of difficulty.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wanted to get through Kenzan and maybe Judgment before the end of the year. But I assumed Yakuza 5 wouldn't have taken this long. But on the bright side, I'll never be without a Yakuza game to replay! Its a delightful problem to have!
I take my comment back, I'm not halfway through lol. Thought there were 20 chapters so I'm close to the end, can't wait to start 0.