• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I made up a map legend for anyone else who doesn't know Japanese (or just doesn't know where stuff is). If I missed something, let me know and I'll add it.
yakuza_7_demo_map.jpg

Also, I ran across a new enemy I hadn't seen. He turns invisible and I couldn't figure out how to attack him until he reappeared.

yakuza_7_invisible.jpg

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I can read Japanese but I'm not an RPG guy and lost in the game lol
The demo of each RGG always got a lentghy battle tutorial but this demo doesn't have any. I wish it was in the demo.
Combat is fairly straight forward at the moment. Main things to remember:

"X" is just your normal attack. No SP spent. Decent damage in the demo for Adachi and Ichiban.

"Triangle" Gives you your SP menu - so all attacks that use SP are listed here. Each different power is listed here for each character and class - so as you level up your character and class you get more moves. There's a variety of attack and stat boost moves for each character. Listed in the menu is the QTE followup commands you can perform if you get timing down right. Also listed in the menu is if it targets one enemy or has a area of attack effect (gotta say I like how detailed the menu is!

"Circle" is block, not quite sure why you'd want to use this command myself when you could just use an item or something to heal.

"Square" is items - it brings up a sub menu so pressing square again brings up your item menu and you can choose from healing items, stat boosting items (including stuff to remove debuffs like bleed, paralyze etc.)
Ichiban has an extra option in this menu - pressing square, then triangle brings up the summon menu, where stuff like GBH or Crayfish live!

In terms of the combat, when your on an enemy attack phase, when the enemy attacks you, you can do a defend move to half the damage they inflict - press "X" just before the enemy hits you and you'll defend the attack and take much less damage. Also, it means you won't fall down either.

When attacking enemies, you have a chance to knock enemies over when you hit them. They fall down easy. You can then follow up this attack with your next characters attack (assuming its not an enemy turn) and if you hit them while they are down you deal critical damage, which is fantastic! Other perks to attacking in certain circumstances are: hitting people into the road (and then having the enemies get hit by cars), attacking in highly populated area in terms of weapons and doing a normal "X" attack close to a traffic cone, bike etc. and you'll grab them to use for a damaging attack.

Restaurants and the heart healing area, as well as items give you health and SP back, shops let you buy better weapons for decent stat upgrades and each class changes your stats.

That's basically what I've picked up on so far. There's also stuff like allies hitting enemies when they are down automatically (they just need to be close to them, only happens sometimes), running at enemies behind other enemies may not go so well (the ones in front may attack you to stop you from reaching the other), running toward an enemy who is positioned behind bikes, signs etc. has a chance of you kicking the bikes etc. to smack them into the enemy, then you follow that up with your normal attack.
Oh, and normal attacks that aren't listed as having area of effect attacks can actually still hit other enemies if they are close enough, which is cool.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying messing around with the combat. There's a lot of depth, a variety of enemies ( a number of them outlandish), weapons, specials, environmental attacks (cars and items they pick up to use) and then there's the job system which I've only scratched the surface of in my few times through the demo. Some battles go by incredibly quick when you use an attack that hits multiple enemies too. I can't wait to see how much more is in the full game.

I wish they dropped some more money in the demo as I'd like to try out those high price weapons, but the grind is a little to much for the 3rd weapon dealers goods.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Enemy variety is something the series has suffered from for years, its nice to have some in 7 for sure, especially as strange as they are in Ichibans head.

What's the best AOE attacks in the demo? Adachi has one where he grabs an enemy by the legs and spins them round, that's super useful but I've mainly been focusing on really strong single enemy attacks.

As for money, the trash pickup game is where its at - you can get points converted into plat plates and apparently make lots of money fairly quick from what I read on Discord. People had 1 mil+ in a short space of time doing that!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I made up a map legend for anyone else who doesn't know Japanese (or just doesn't know where stuff is). If I missed something, let me know and I'll add it.
yakuza_7_demo_map.jpg

Also, I ran across a new enemy I hadn't seen. He turns invisible and I couldn't figure out how to attack him until he reappeared.

yakuza_7_invisible.jpg

That is super helpful, thank you. Also for the explanation where the room with the dude in the labcoat is. Gotta check that out on the weekend (and the trash collecting minigame) and play a bit more with the different classes.

I just have one very minor gripe with the game so far (it's a weird one) and that's that the text boxes are "auto-scrolling", meaning that after a few seconds it automatically hits the button to go to the next text box. If there's a way to stop that, I haven't found it (checked the options menu but couldn't find a toggle for that). It probably won't be a problem with the English version, but my my reading speed in Japanese is fairly slow, so often it already went to the next text box even though I wasn't finished reading yet. I mean my Japanese isn't great and I'm nowhere near fluent, but I can read some things at least. So, being able to take your time reading is very helpful.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Combat is fairly straight forward at the moment. Main things to remember:

"X" is just your normal attack. No SP spent. Decent damage in the demo for Adachi and Ichiban.
I think I understand those. But I mean that's it? It should be more than that. You can't control the position of the characters at all or the direction of the attacks. So it's just lucky when you hit an enemy and if the enemy falls down on the traffic heavy road or near your party members?

I don't know but I guess it would be more strategic and fun if you can manipulate the characters to a certain degree.

By the way, it seems O & X buttons are swapped on your setup. Can you post a screenshot of the battle part with the main UI displayed on your end? I would like to see if the UI is also changed accordingly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think I understand those. But I mean that's it? It should be more than that. You can't control the position of the characters at all or the direction of the attacks. So it's just lucky when you hit an enemy and if the enemy falls down on the traffic heavy road or near your party members?

I don't know but I guess it would be more strategic and fun if you can manipulate the characters to a certain degree.

By the way, it seems O & X buttons are swapped on your setup. Can you post a screenshot of the battle part with the main UI displayed on your end? I would like to see if the UI is also changed accordingly.
I'll take a snapshot when I get a chance (playing Shenmue 2 at the moment ready for 3, so might be a while).

You can select the enemy you attack, after choosing your attack (either the normal X one, or a SP power attack) you can move your cursor to the enemy you want to attack. But beyond that you can directly move your character so there is an element of luck as to if they end up in the road or not. Likewise as you can't directly move your character, it means you gotta be careful to make sure your not the one that ends up in the road!

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Grabbed from youtube. US player playing JP demo.
QW5SFb5.png

this one is mine. got different UI. It doesn't mean anything though ;p
sbeZiEG.png

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
I just have one very minor gripe with the game so far (it's a weird one) and that's that the text boxes are "auto-scrolling", meaning that after a few seconds it automatically hits the button to go to the next text box. If there's a way to stop that, I haven't found it (checked the options menu but couldn't find a toggle for that). It probably won't be a problem with the English version, but my my reading speed in Japanese is fairly slow, so often it already went to the next text box even though I wasn't finished reading yet. I mean my Japanese isn't great and I'm nowhere near fluent, but I can read some things at least. So, being able to take your time reading is very helpful.

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing. I hope they add an option to turn it off. I don't want to constantly worry about not reading fast enough lol.

Fun demo though. Really looking forward to it. Though I worry a bit about the balance, especially now that it's turn-based. Difficulty has always been somewhat of a mess in this series.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed from youtube. US player playing JP demo.
QW5SFb5.png

this one is mine. got different UI. It doesn't mean anything though ;p
sbeZiEG.png

The game detects if you're playing on a Japanese or non-Japanese PS4, meaning the confirm and cancel buttons get swapped. On a Japanese PS4 you can confirm every action with the circle button, so I guess whenever someone in here means "hit the x button" it's the circle button for you. :) There's some games that do that while others just stick with the regular Japanese button layout. That means that "just guarding" should also be the circle button for you. And yeah, going by the screenshots the UI layouts change too, with cancelling your actions being on the bottom while regular attacks are on the right, just like the button layout on the controller.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. There's basically nothing in terms of story, its just you having to level up the classes etc. again which can be a bit annoying for the demo.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Finally had a chance to play the demo and it's really great. My only concerns about the combat were QoL stuff like frequency of encounters and just overall snapiness of menus and actions and they seem to have done a really good job. Theres a lot of potential with the systems with how dynamic it all feels so I'm curious how the full game can further expand upon it. I didn't consider stuff before like knocking enemies on the ground and getting bonus damage from that, or getting hit by cars during combat. I hope it sticks around so it can get the same refinement the brawler combat got over the years.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Doesn't it just stop auto-scrolling once you fast-forward to the next line manually by pressing O (or could be X to you ;p)?
Or this is a classic way and not the ideal solution but you can just pause the game by pressing the option button.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't it just stop auto-scrolling once you fast-forward to the next line manually by pressing O (or could be X to you ;p)?
Or this is a classic way and not the ideal solution but you can just pause the game by pressing the option button.

Hm, I want to say that it makes no difference and it has the auto scrolling activated as a standard, but I might be wrong. I'll try it out again next time I play the demo for sure. And yeah, I guess the only solution would be to pause the game then. That's possible at least.

ZZChao

Oct 27, 2017
I also didn't find a way to disable the auto progression of the text boxes. I can keep up reading everything but I just prefer toggling the next text box at my own leisure. Also would be happy if someday RGG Studio implemented a way to look at previous lines of dialogue. It's not even a language thing - sometimes I just zone out and progress the text boxes without really reading anything...
Demo wise I'm optimistic that I could like the RPG-system. Already dig the variety of the different attacks and the general customizability of the characters. Just hope they get the balancing right. If most battles turn out to be too easy/repetitive I think I will mainly rely on the auto mode sooner rather than later (exclusively played through RGG Online that way...).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, Yakuza now hopping over to Xbox. Thoughts? I wasn't sure it would happen, but am glad that Sega are pushing 0-Kiwami 2 out quickly together, as if they are serious about trying to get the series an audience on Xbox its probably not a good idea to be too behind the PS4 which will have all mainline games (aside from 7 in English) by the time they launch on GP. Im certainly interested in seeing how the games do, and hey Kiwami 2 on a One X should be delightful!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The only reason it is happening is due to Game Pass.
Game Pass is becoming something of a saving net for such games that would risk not getting much sales on Xbox.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, Yakuza now hopping over to Xbox. Thoughts? I wasn't sure it would happen, but am glad that Sega are pushing 0-Kiwami 2 out quickly together, as if they are serious about trying to get the series an audience on Xbox its probably not a good idea to be too behind the PS4 which will have all mainline games (aside from 7 in English) by the time they launch on GP. Im certainly interested in seeing how the games do, and hey Kiwami 2 on a One X should be delightful!
More sales is always good for the future of RGG games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Those street view comparisons (especially the first one) are awesome. I love the attention to detail the series is used to providing. I guess the map isn't quite as accurate this go around as they wanted to provide different areas (China Town etc.) while not having a ginormous map, so they sorta meet in the middle.

Oh, and while not Yakuza related, its so nice to have my dispatch email for Shenmue 3. I first learned of the Yakuza series through a Shenmue fansite and gave the series a shot because it was Sega, set in Japan, and you got into fist fights. While both series are superficially similar at best, one definitely got me into the other and both remain two of the best game series of all time for me. So it'll be cool going from Shenmue 3 to Yakuza 7 in just a couple of months!

More sales is always good for the future of RGG games.
Yeah. Not sure what sort of revenue they get from Gamepass but I hope its decent, I just want the series to do continue on its upward trend that's been occurring recently. Its been a decent gen for the series outside of Japan for once!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason it is happening is due to Game Pass.
Game Pass is becoming something of a saving net for such games that would risk not getting much sales on Xbox.

Eh I dunno, they ported the first two in the series to Wii u of all things, after steam versions becoming a thing, I expect they would have given the western Xbox owners an opportunity eventually, either now or in next gen, regardless of gamepass. Am slightly surprised it happens before something yakuza on switch, but I guess it would be an easier port job to XBone.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I dunno, they ported the first two in the series to Wii u of all things, after steam versions becoming a thing, I expect they would have given the western Xbox owners an opportunity eventually, either now or in next gen, regardless of gamepass. Am slightly surprised it happens before something yakuza on switch, but I guess it would be an easier port job to XBone.
I seem to remember them wanting to try and cultivate a fanbase for the series on the Wii U. Problem is, they picked remasters of the two oldest games in the series (while the PS3 was getting stuff like Yakuza 5 which was technically lightyears ahead by comparison) and the fact that the Wii U was a disaster of a console sales wise. The remasters on the Wii U sold pathetically, like under 10K at launch (I heard as low as 1K at launch but am not sure how accurate that is). It killed Sega's interest in branching the series out again for years and years, its only now what with the series slowing in Japan and picking up elsewhere that they are having more of a worldwide focus to the series, which is cool to see.
As for Switch ports... Xbox is easier - closer to PC and PS4, Kiwami and 0 will run on the console no problem, I'd imagine if its anything like the PS4 ports then the only issues the Xbox One ports of 0 and Kiwami have is slightly screen tearing in a couple of spots and a bizarrely lower frame rate in Kuze's 4th fight. They'll be perfect on One X and maybe even higher res than the Pro versions if any effort is put into the ports. Kiwami 2 is the interesting one to me - as I wonder how it'll run on base Xbox One, and what bonuses the One X version will get.
Switch can run Kiwami and 0 no problem (I mean, the PS3 could) but Kiwami 2? That'd present its own technical challenges due to the new engine. Who knows, never say never.

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I have replayed the demo 4 times and had some time to process everything. Here are my thoughts:

The mini games and everything like sub stories and stuff included in the demo is classic Yakuza. By that I mean it is the full package in this front. The sub stories sound like they will be funny and interesting, the pacman style garbage collecting mini game is really fun and will probably end up being replayed a lot. Dragon Kart is a bit slow but if the past games are anything to go by then that will be fixed with some upgrades here and there.

I couldn't understand the story or anything but the story sounds like it will be great from what I can tell and Ichiban is really refreshing for a Yakuza protagonist. I got some vibes from Shinada but over all he sounds like he will be a worthy successor to Kiryu. The other 3 crew members could end up being great but I can't go by anything other than RGG's excellent character history. I gotta say though, The woman with the bag (her name escapes me) has a very unfitting pose compared to the other 3, I wish they made it a combat style instead as she looks less like a woman in a fight compared to Ichi and the crew.

Now to talk about what I was mostly interested in trying in the demo, the combat.
The combat is probably the best turn based combat I have ever seen and played with. It is nowhere near as bad as I feared and I can notice that it has lots of depth and could be more fun once I can play it with english. The "real time" mechanics are one of the reasons I liked the combat and the physics from the normal Yakuza fit in perfectly.

That said, I am not going to get the game day one. While the combat is the best turn based combat I have ever played, I am still not over the brawling being gone from Yakuza. Most of my time replaying the demo was me thinking about what could have been had they not abandoned it. It is the main draw to Yakuza for me and Yakuza 7 so far feels like it is missing something to make the package feel "full".

I know people will tell me about Judgment but that game is very different. It doesn't have the autitude of Yakuza and is overall more grounded and less "over the top" like Yakuza, which is reflected not just in the main storees and sub stories themselves but the combat itself having less "dirty" fighting if that makes any sense. Not to mention that we are not sure when a second Judgment will even get made even though it sold well.

My hopes are that RGG still continues to give us classic Yakuza games even if they continue with this direction. If they were to confirm this then I will be able to accept the new direction without any complaints but for now I will vote with my wallet and wish RGG the best of luck.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
If they put the remasters of 3, 4, 5 along with 0 and Kiwami on the Switch I'd buy them again (if they got a physical release. I wonder if the Xbox One ports will be digital only/ game pass exclusive?). If the Switch can't handle the Dragon Engine games don't bother (though the Witcher 3 is on the Switch so who knows).

But really, localize Ishin!. Make it day and date on PS4, Xbox One, PC and Switch. Release a 2 part demo as well, 1 of the game and 1 a port of the Vita app that will let you carry stuff over into the main game :)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
That Wii U release means nothing. It was a port of Yakuza 1 and 2 and that release didn't even chart in Media Create IIRC.
The Yakuza series has gained a great dose of popularity lately but there have been games that got released on Xbox and didn't do so well sales wise. Game Pass acts as a game rental service ala PS Plus. It allows consumers to play a large library of games for a simple price.
It is the safest way for SEGA to get the game out to XBox owners, and in turn they get covered by Microsoft. Least that's my understanding on how PS Plus and Game Pass work :V
Honestly you'll read a lot about how some people only got to experience some games all due to game pass that they wouldn't have played otherwise.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing across some of the games for Switch but not all seems like a pointless task to be honest, especially when it'd be series favourite RGG2 that'd be missing. Don't deny people Ryuuji! (there's a reason he's the next protagonist for RGG Online!)

May as well just port 0 and 5. I mean, quality AND quantity wise you have the best right there, what else do you need? (well, 2 and 3 for Ryuuji and Mine, but that's about it).

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
You know what would be interesting? To see them back port the Dragon Engine games to the old engine (0, 5 etc..) for the Switch.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember them wanting to try and cultivate a fanbase for the series on the Wii U. Problem is, they picked remasters of the two oldest games in the series (while the PS3 was getting stuff like Yakuza 5 which was technically lightyears ahead by comparison) and the fact that the Wii U was a disaster of a console sales wise. The remasters on the Wii U sold pathetically, like under 10K at launch (I heard as low as 1K at launch but am not sure how accurate that is). It killed Sega's interest in branching the series out again for years and years, its only now what with the series slowing in Japan and picking up elsewhere that they are having more of a worldwide focus to the series, which is cool to see.
As for Switch ports... Xbox is easier - closer to PC and PS4, Kiwami and 0 will run on the console no problem, I'd imagine if its anything like the PS4 ports then the only issues the Xbox One ports of 0 and Kiwami have is slightly screen tearing in a couple of spots and a bizarrely lower frame rate in Kuze's 4th fight. They'll be perfect on One X and maybe even higher res than the Pro versions if any effort is put into the ports. Kiwami 2 is the interesting one to me - as I wonder how it'll run on base Xbox One, and what bonuses the One X version will get.
Switch can run Kiwami and 0 no problem (I mean, the PS3 could) but Kiwami 2? That'd present its own technical challenges due to the new engine. Who knows, never say never.

With no offense to the RGG Studios, but they sorta still have trouble with running the Dragon Engine on PS4, not sure how well Kiwami 2 was ported to PC. But Switch? that's gonna need Witcher levels of technical wizardry.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
With no offense to the RGG Studios, but they sorta still have trouble with running the Dragon Engine on PS4, not sure how well Kiwami 2 was ported to PC. But Switch? that's gonna need Witcher levels of technical wizardry.
Exactly. 7 feels like the best of the bunch yet but there's still issues here and there with each Dragon title in some way or another, so it'd take lots of effort getting it running on a much weaker platform. Heck, PC it still doesn't work perfect either, certain things are tied to the 30FPS frame rate and go nuts when you play it at higher frame rates (physics mainly - ragdoll stuff, crane game etc.)

Plus, maybe we could get bowling, billiards and the old style batting cages(I'm not letting this go) back! :)
Exactly. It'd be cool to essentially get a directors cut "demake" of the game for the weaker hardware. They could copy much of the game (especially Kiwami 2) across from 5 and just use that or 0 as a base for the combat. Probably wont ever happen but I'd totally quadruple (or is it quintuple) dip on the games.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted a sort of "fan disk" blow-out for the old engine-

-Let you play as every character in the series including alt skins (Haruka fighting like in that mod, Akiyama with Kiryu's abilities etc..).
-All mini games and side activities included
-Either no story line or an alt timeline one (ala Dead Souls)
-Every City and locale. Underground and rooftops in Kamurocho too.
-Let the player change what game's fighting system they want (0, 3, 4, 5, Kiwami, Kenzan, Ishin!).
-Bio's of every character, all the recap movies, timeline, character relationship chart tree.
-Every coliseum fighter
-All the Amon fights
-Each city could have a "dungeon" with bosses from all the games.
-Locker keys and cats to collect.
-Tons of costumes all unlocked at the beginning
-Every Karaoke song (or whatever's feasible)
-A making of documentary, interviews, concept art, music player.

Basically like an expanded "Metal Gear Solid 4 Database", "Document of Metal Gear 2" and "Sonic Jam"(3D part).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
3 actually had some DLC that let you basically power up Kiryu in Kamurocho before finally tackling Mine who was waiting for you in Theatre Square. There were a couple of exclusive fights in that mode - like a Hamazaki boss fight. Something like that super fleshed out, maybe spliced with Ishin's battle dungeon mode would be awesome.
But yeah, a big Yakuza dreamfest like that would be amazing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, everything is on the disc as well which is cool. The DLC is played via Premium Adventure mode so you gotta win the game first and load your save into PA to play it.

Oct 27, 2017
So the Yakuza 7 demo left me yearning for more Yakuza (mostly me missing the brawling) and I decided to play the premium adventure part of Yakuza 6 to tie some loose ends and get the platinum trophy. I gotta say, I find the combat to be much better than I remember. Sure, it isn't as "deep" as 5 or 0 but the physics add a lot to to the combat and it always feels satisfying to throw thugs around or kick them so they fly away. Kiryu feels so damn powerful taking out groups of enemies in less than 30 seconds, who are everywhere due to the raised frequency of enemies in the mode.

Makes me want to replay it once more along with Kiwami 2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Tiger Drop was robbed :( I'm still annoyed at that change in 6, Kiryu got old dammit (and Kiwami 2... I have nothing witty to say there). Good thing Judge Eyes came along and restored the Tiger Drop to its glory.

Anyway, while I wait for Shenmue 3 to arrive here is more cool translation stuff for Yakuza 7. Combat (and just gameplay in general) tips:

While its not exactly unknown, the tips confirm that you can swap out party members which means more party members are yet to be revealed. I can guess a couple based on the latest trailer, and a few more at that assuming legacy characters are more than guest appearances. Still wondering just how big the game is though, two cities at minimum is basically confirmed in that last trailer, but feels like there's still so much not shown - how will boss fights work? How will long battles work? How insanely overpowered will Amon be? Also, how many arcades are there? As the only arcade in the demo is rather sad (very run down, a small number of games)... I'm hoping for a grand Club Sega in Yokohama somewhere (otherwise I guess I'll wait until I get back to Kamuro for that goodness!)

Also, how damn long is it gonna take me to 100% the game? 152 hours so far is my record with Yakuza 5, lets see if it can beat that?!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the battle system: One sidestory unlocks a summon (the callback to Yakuza 2 one, heh). But I don't think you can actually perform summons in the demo, can you? I at least didn't find the option. Would've been funny to play around with it a bit.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you can do summons. Ichiban is the only one that can do them though. Click Square which brings up a sub menu - from there square again brings up items, circle cancels and triangle gives you the choice of summons - in the demo you get the 2 callback, a cook character I'm unfamiliar with, the legend Gary "Buster" Holmes, and... a crayfish. What a motley crew of deviants Ichiban has aligned with!

Also, reading the tips, turns out bad cell reception and enemy jammers can prevent you from using summons.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you can do summons. Ichiban is the only one that can do them though. Click Square which brings up a sub menu - from there square again brings up items, circle cancels and triangle gives you the choice of summons - in the demo you get the 2 callback, a cook character I'm unfamiliar with, the legend Gary "Buster" Holmes, and... a crayfish. What a motley crew of deviants Ichiban has aligned with!

Also, reading the tips, turns out bad cell reception and enemy jammers can prevent you from using summons.

Oh wow ok, that's not where I figured to look for the summons. Should've played around a bit more with the item menu. Thank you very much. Next demo playthrough I gotta summon good old Gary Holmes, hehe.

Oct 27, 2017
Tiger Drop was robbed :( I'm still annoyed at that change in 6, Kiryu got old dammit (and Kiwami 2... I have nothing witty to say there). Good thing Judge Eyes came along and restored the Tiger Drop to its glory.
Very true.

I can think of one reason as to why. Yakuza 6 atleast.

I think the boss battles having less health bars are the reason for that (or I might be remembering wrong but atleast the final boss had one health bar). Imagine how the powerful Tiger Drop would be like if you could do it on the bosses.

Kiwami 2 though... I wish they would have let it sit in the oven more and made the combat more deep compared to 6.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Very true.

I can think of one reason as to why. Yakuza 6 atleast.

I think the boss battles having less health bars are the reason for that (or I might be remembering wrong but atleast the final boss had one health bar). Imagine how the powerful Tiger Drop would be like if you could do it on the bosses.

Kiwami 2 though... I wish they would have let it sit in the oven more and made the combat more deep compared to 6.
Kiwami 2 was strange. I've no issue with the combat aside from the Tiger Drop (easily fixed though) but its the health issue - bosses get multiple health bars but that's pointless when heat moves do so much damage that its basically negated. Landing a heat move on enemies in older games (especially the first three) felt awesome, you had to work to get some of those moves landed (add Kiwami to that list, landing counter heat moves against Shimano 2 is a badass feeling) but Kiwami 2 it felt a bit too easy and rewarded you far too much for it. Look at (for example) Shindo's boss fight in 2 Vs Kiwami 2 - one is a pretty long affair, one is over in a flash. I pick Shindo because its one of my favourite bosses in the game - in Kiwami 2 it looks amazing and with the transitions etc. its a badass fight IF you don't use heat moves to end it super quick.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I THINK I'm closing in on the end of Judgement. Chapter 10. Shit is really starting to hit the fan. I'm deeply concerned for the well-being of a certain injured someone...dang Hamura does NOT fuck around.

Now that I'm seemingly in the climax, how many hours have I got left? I'm not trying to rush it but this has provided a LOT of game over the course of several months and I have both Death Stranding and Fallen Order waiting in my queue.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I THINK I'm closing in on the end of Judgement. Chapter 10. Shit is really starting to hit the fan. I'm deeply concerned for the well-being of a certain injured someone...dang Hamura does NOT fuck around.

Now that I'm seemingly in the climax, how many hours have I got left? I'm not trying to rush it but this has provided a LOT of game over the course of several months and I have both Death Stranding and Fallen Order waiting in my queue.
Few hours left. At least 3 chapters, there's a couple of twists left. Chapter 10 is absolutely amazing, I love it, and then the following chapters are super hype as well.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo hope the final game will have some combat speed up options that have become more common in other JRPGs but outside of that I'm quite hype. The best thing about Ichiban is this weird twist on chuuni humor. Normally chuuni jokes are quite cringe to me but what do you know put them in the already established absurd world of yakuza with chicken real estate managers and the like and it just becomes another facet of well timed ridiculousness. The demo was already peak yakuza humor in seconds(the bat scene lol). Can't wait.