• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I played Y6 first and now i'm having trouble finishing GoW. I'm finding it dull in comparison

I really like GoW a lot so far, the combat is amazing right there with Bloodborne in top-tier status.
Also needed a break from yakuza games before jumping back in, but now i'm getting hyped to finish Kiryu story.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm finally back to 5 after doing 3+4 back-to-back. I think I'll take this one slower and enjoy it cause really, I absolutely loved the first part with Kiryu. The street racing taxi driver sidequest was some of my favorite side content in any Yakuza yet. And Part 2 is promising to be fantastic as well.

Bitch I just punched a motherfuckin bear in the face from the sky.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Did they specify that overseas included english speaking territories? Cause I know a lot of their recent efforts starting with Kiwami (and K2 and these remasters ofc) have been specifically to fill things in for the Asia market, where imports were notably popular. IIRC 0 was the first entry to get an actual real localization in Chinese and Korean.
Yes, Nagoshi specified that. He says RGG is expanding both Asia outside Japan and the western countries. He also says the half of 6's sales came from Asia outside Japan and the western countries.

As for the cut content in shadowman's post, it means there won't be any cut content in the remasters unlike Kiwami 2. As you might know, some contents from the original game have been removed in Kiwami 2. It doesn't mean Yakuza 3's cut content in the original English version. He didn't comment about it in the above video. We still need to wait for the confirmation about it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza Ishin is flat out, 100% incredible, you guys. This game is amazing. I'm talking right up there with 2 and 0 amazing. What seemed like a fairly straightforward "A ninja killed your foster Dad, go track him down" story has steadily evolved into what is now an incredibly tense undercover cop movie, where every scene is just DRIPPING with dramatic tension. Yakuza games always excel at these wonderful conversation scenes where every line of dialogue is thick with subtext, but the way Ishin has stacked its cast almost entirely with major villains from every other game in the series lends this game an extra level of oomph. When you know even relatively minor characters are capable of carrying an entire game's worth of drama on their own, every scene feels like a momentous event. Like, I know it's all just lines of code, but, still, when I see Mine and Kashiwagi and Aizawa and Majima and Saejima all in the same room, I can't help but think "Oh wow, how did they get all these guys here at the same time?" :P

And, apart from the main story, I've really been enjoying how Ishin handles a good chunk of its Sub Stories. While it still has plenty of classic Yakuza Sub Stories, a lot of Ishin's do this new thing where the person will stay in one spot in the city and ask you to bring them particular items (healing items for an injured dog, food for a hungry Sumo wrestler, etc). You gradually fill up what is basically an S-Link meter, and you'll get an extra bit of story from that person as you get to know them better. It could be taken as being pretty grindy, and I think it was probably wise not to continue the system in later Yakuza games, but having it here in Ishin just for the one game is kind of nice. No matter where you go in Kyoto, you're bound to find one of your pals waiting on a street corner for a home-cooked meal or a barking dog waiting for a bone. If you don't get obsessive and try to grind the whole meter out at once, you'll gradually become friends with everyone over the course of your full playthrough, which basically keeps the fun of Sub Stories sticking around all the way through the game.

I also got waaaay too deep into playing happy families with Haruka, and I paid off her entire debt, invited every stray dog and cat in the city to come home and live with us, grew a couple of thousand vegetables, bought all her kimonos... Boy there's a lot of stuff to do in this game, and boy is it addictive!

Yeah, this game is wonderful.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Glad your really enjoying it :) Just a note - the friendship meters are used again in 0. Only difference is they dramatically reduce the grind required while still keeping the awesome story bits. It really is the perfect "evolution" of the concept. And yeah, getting all the baddies of the series to appear in the game (have you finished it yet?) was a stroke of awesomeness. Especially those last couple of chapters :)

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
tumblr_inline_ngdkk6Cin81qa6ecl.gif

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm guessing that since it's like a year past, the DLC for Kiwami 1 is no longer there...? I have version 1.09 of the game, and am in Premium Adventure mode, but Bob Utsunomiya hasn't given me anything and I can't change my outfits from a hideout.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing that since it's like a year past, the DLC for Kiwami 1 is no longer there...? I have version 1.09 of the game, and am in Premium Adventure mode, but Bob Utsunomiya hasn't given me anything and I can't change my outfits from a hideout.
That sounds like a glitch to me, the DLC shouldn't expire at all from my experience.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Daisuke Sato will be at Japan Expo in Paris in July. I'll try to get an interview with him.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017

I played Kiwami like 1/2 months ago and the dlc still worked.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daisuke Sato will be at Japan Expo in Paris in July. I'll try to get an interview with him.
Bug him some more about Ishin.

It's his favorite game apparently, so even if it does bug him a bit to keep getting asked about it in the west maybe he'll go put a bug in the ear of the execs back home.

With the remasters coming the chances for Ishin are better than before. I could easily see them doing a Yakuza Master's Collection part 1 and 2 or something with 3+4 in p1 and 5+Ishin in p2 both for 60$. Ishin may not have demand enough for them by itself in their eyes, but maybe paired with a physical 5 release I bet they could draw a hell of a crowd!

No I'm not ever going to stop championing ishin ;.;

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I'm up to chapter 5 in Kenzan, and so far I'd say the story is the highlight. Ishin's was fun, but Kenzan's more emotional even though Ishin beats it everywhere else.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm up to chapter 5 in Kenzan, and so far I'd say the story is the highlight. Ishin's was fun, but Kenzan's more emotional even though Ishin beats it everywhere else.
Good to hear your really enjoying it :) Kenzan has some of the best side stories in the series as well, definitely try and seek them out if you can (the Kabuki and missing cows side stories are brilliant).

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bug him some more about Ishin.

It's his favorite game apparently, so even if it does bug him a bit to keep getting asked about it in the west maybe he'll go put a bug in the ear of the execs back home.

With the remasters coming the chances for Ishin are better than before. I could easily see them doing a Yakuza Master's Collection part 1 and 2 or something with 3+4 in p1 and 5+Ishin in p2 both for 60$. Ishin may not have demand enough for them by itself in their eyes, but maybe paired with a physical 5 release I bet they could draw a hell of a crowd!

No I'm not ever going to stop championing ishin ;.;

I'd love to get localized versions of Kenzan and Ishin. But they've made it clear time and time again that there are no plans to localize them. I think we should get over it and be glad that we now get the new games so fast. Besides, I don't think that it would make sense to release those games now.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think rather than confirming we're not getting them ever, they simply don't want to promise us anything because 1) No PS4 version of Kenzan exists yey and 2) They've been more than busy localizing numbered games.

If we were to get a Kenzan remaster after 5, for example, and Shin was still in the horizon for Japan, I'm fairly sure they'd localize it next.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd love to get localized versions of Kenzan and Ishin. But they've made it clear time and time again that there are no plans to localize them. I think we should get over it and be glad that we now get the new games so fast. Besides, I don't think that it would make sense to release those games now.

Any chance you could ask him about their Fist of the North Star game instead then? At least that way it would register some interest for it, since it would be a shame if we didn't get that.

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Yakuza Ishin is flat out, 100% incredible, you guys. This game is amazing. I'm talking right up there with 2 and 0 amazing. What seemed like a fairly straightforward "A ninja killed your foster Dad, go track him down" story has steadily evolved into what is now an incredibly tense undercover cop movie, where every scene is just DRIPPING with dramatic tension. Yakuza games always excel at these wonderful conversation scenes where every line of dialogue is thick with subtext, but the way Ishin has stacked its cast almost entirely with major villains from every other game in the series lends this game an extra level of oomph. When you know even relatively minor characters are capable of carrying an entire game's worth of drama on their own, every scene feels like a momentous event. Like, I know it's all just lines of code, but, still, when I see Mine and Kashiwagi and Aizawa and Majima and Saejima all in the same room, I can't help but think "Oh wow, how did they get all these guys here at the same time?" :P

And, apart from the main story, I've really been enjoying how Ishin handles a good chunk of its Sub Stories. While it still has plenty of classic Yakuza Sub Stories, a lot of Ishin's do this new thing where the person will stay in one spot in the city and ask you to bring them particular items (healing items for an injured dog, food for a hungry Sumo wrestler, etc). You gradually fill up what is basically an S-Link meter, and you'll get an extra bit of story from that person as you get to know them better. It could be taken as being pretty grindy, and I think it was probably wise not to continue the system in later Yakuza games, but having it here in Ishin just for the one game is kind of nice. No matter where you go in Kyoto, you're bound to find one of your pals waiting on a street corner for a home-cooked meal or a barking dog waiting for a bone. If you don't get obsessive and try to grind the whole meter out at once, you'll gradually become friends with everyone over the course of your full playthrough, which basically keeps the fun of Sub Stories sticking around all the way through the game.

I also got waaaay too deep into playing happy families with Haruka, and I paid off her entire debt, invited every stray dog and cat in the city to come home and live with us, grew a couple of thousand vegetables, bought all her kimonos... Boy there's a lot of stuff to do in this game, and boy is it addictive!

Yeah, this game is wonderful.
I loved the demo and thought it was a missed opportunity not localizing it when ps4 was short on good exclusives. Hope it eventually gets an english version. Would gladly take it over 3-5 ps4 ports since they all hold up decently still.

Nars99

Nov 1, 2017
So, how bad is it if I'm going into Y6 having played 0 and watched the story summary from Y4?
Even though the summary is one hour long it still missed key points, like why Nishki did what he did, but Y6 demo's intro was so freaking good I had to stop right away and I really just want to jump in.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
So, how bad is it if I'm going into Y6 having played 0 and watched the story summary from Y4?
Even though the summary is one hour long it still missed key points, like why Nishki did what he did, but Y6 demo's intro was so freaking good I had to stop right away and I really just want to jump in.
You should've played Kiwami, as it and 0 are the only two games in the series that are so heavily connected, in terms of narrative threads. You could skip 2-5 for now, but dear God, play Kiwami after 0!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

6's intro is quite long, and does a good job in catching you up with the basics of what you need to know in the story so you won't feel lost playing 6. Most of what you miss is that buildup of seeing Kiryu and Haruka grow up throughout the last 5 games so the emotional payoff might be lessened. But that's it really.

As for poor ol' Nishiki, Kiwami is the game that really fleshed him out further (it adds several great cutscenes that focus on him) so its worth either playing Kiwami sometime, or just looking them up on Youtube.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
So, I really wanted to get as many trophies as I could from Kiwami 1, but the Majima Everywhere randomness kinda ended it from me. Particularly where you need to have a thug randomly spawn that will talk to you. I've wasted so much time I can't do it anymore, a shame because I'm like 3 abilities away from getting the full Dragon of Dojima trophy....

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, I really wanted to get as many trophies as I could from Kiwami 1, but the Majima Everywhere randomness kinda ended it from me. Particularly where you need to have a thug randomly spawn that will talk to you. I've wasted so much time I can't do it anymore, a shame because I'm like 3 abilities away from getting the full Dragon of Dojima trophy....
Thugs always spawn in the same three locations. So if you look those locations up (I know one is around the bowling alley, one is just south from the Millennium tower I think, and the last is around New Serena) you can enter/exit local shops until the thug spawns. It can take a few tries for them to appear though.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Thugs always spawn in the same three locations. So if you look those locations up (I know one is around the bowling alley, one is just south from the Millennium tower I think, and the last is around New Serena) you can enter/exit local shops until the thug spawns. It can take a few tries for them to appear though.
I found Mad Dog's by the bowling alley, and Slugger by the pocket circuit.

Speaking of pocket circuit, holy shit, bye Kiwami. Fuck this random shenanigan nonsense, I've spec'd out to what the internet says should work and I'm still getting screwed. Onto the next game, trophy hunting is done for me in this one.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I found Mad Dog's by the bowling alley, and Slugger by the pocket circuit.

Speaking of pocket circuit, holy shit, bye Kiwami. Fuck this random shenanigan nonsense, I've spec'd out to what the internet says should work and I'm still getting screwed. Onto the next game, trophy hunting is done for me in this one.

Yeah. There are good guides out there for the Pocket Circuit stuff if you need it. I can dig up a friends guide that he did for those races if you'd like.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. There are good guides out there for the Pocket Circuit stuff if you need it. I can dig up a friends guide that he did for those races if you'd like.
I found a great guide on Tumblr that specced everything out so I got past that part.

Now I'm trying to somehow beat Majima in pool. This AI is nuts, he literally goes on an 11-point run on me in four ball. This shit is bananas. Also, the fucker bends the rules. I've never received a point for both red balls hitting each other, but he does

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Pool can be nuts in the games. You don't have to beat Majima at Pool though, that's optional. Only Pool challenge that is required for trophy completion is the Hard challenger that is part of Haruka's requests. Which I completely fluked a win against when I played it last!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
There are several optional Majima events that aren't even counted on the completion trophy like Pool. Also stuff like photo booth (I think), his argument with a guy over recycling etc. There's a second, even larger completion list that tracks that stuff, but you only need to do it for fun if you want (I did because his encounters always cracked me up).

The Dragon of Dojima skill tree page in the menu should list the outstanding events you need to do against Majima to unlock all the moves.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah my tree just has 2 left... meaning the final battle, and another. I've already beaten him at Pocket Circuit but I guess I need to farm completions until I get the emails for the rematches.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my tree just has 2 left... meaning the final battle, and another. I've already beaten him at Pocket Circuit but I guess I need to farm completions until I get the emails for the rematches.
It should specify exactly what you need to do to fight him in the skill tree if you highlight one of the two locked moves. It can be a bit vague sometimes, but it should tell you exactly what it is you need to do to unlock the final moves.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of the vague email ones, haha. But by process of elimination it's probably gotta be the Pocket Circuit one, since I've done everything else on the guides I've seen.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a random question and I hope this would be the right thread, but did anyone else have control issues with Space Harrier in Yakuza 0? They were horribly bad with the stiff controls, inverted horizontal direction (Can that be adjusted with camera settings?), and the ridiculous auto centering. ... am I taking crazy pills???
Was starting to wonder whether my controller was broken or not. . Wth, Sega.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The last Pocket Circuit Majima fight is something worth doing earlier (ok, that doesn't help you now!) because its power up is faster attack speed. And its super useful in pretty much every DoD mission especially the later fights.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a random question and I hope this would be the right thread, but did anyone else have control issues with Space Harrier in Yakuza 0? They were horribly bad with the stiff controls, inverted horizontal direction (Can that be adjusted with camera settings?), and the ridiculous auto centering. ... am I taking crazy pills???
Was starting to wonder whether my controller was broken or not. . Wth, Sega.

One of the buttons will invert your aiming on Space Harrier. Hit Options (or touch pad) and you should get the list of the controls.

As for auto center - that's always been the case with Space Harrier ports for me if you use the analogue stick to aim. If you don't want that to happen, use the D Pad instead as that doesn't auto center.

And yeah, it does feel slightly (oh so slightly) more stiff than what Shenmue's port was (which felt so good at the time).

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should get over it
b0932f1a2508d8b3279d3fc3c342d358.jpg

Never gonna see me give up on Ishin. It's the second best game on the platform behind bloodborne, and one of the better games of all time. It not coming over is a crime to the artform, and I don't care how badly I piss off Sega by reaming them every chance I get to remind them of it. Besides, after Shin and Hokuto (if it even comes over here...) I don't see why they couldn't pop it out either paired up with one of the PS3 ports or standalone. The market has spoken man! People love Yakuza--demand has never been higher in the west--and they love historical Japan. Nioh sold 2 million and Sony is spending like a billion dollars on a Genko game. The game is without question the Final Fantasy V of our times, which is horribly sad as one would hope the industry had gotten past that kind of thing by now =\

Besides, I'm never gonna let them live down that Master's Degree comment. It's just too much fun to poke fun at xD

Edit: btw if I came off as hostile to you above I didn't mean it that way. I was more trying to speak generally to my passion for the game and the hope more people get to experience it than getting on your back for not feeling the same way lol :)

Last edited:

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
God Kiwami... I just can't. So much artificial difficulty. The very first Climax battle tells me all I need to know about how they're gonna go about it. Definitely forgetting the platinum on this one, but at least I can complete what I can.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah the Climax Battles. I love them, they pull no punches right from the get go. Kiwami has one heck of a doozie as well where your
fighting your way through Tojo HQ, fighting Kashiwagi and Sera as you go
. Oh, and your super duper weak Kiryu which makes things harder still.

Guessing the challenge you were having issues with was the "don't fall down" challenge on the boat?

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A very good friend of mine just beat 6, and I linked him Hands. Just discussing it and watching the video with lyrics man.....

cr.gif

It's been over 3 months since I beat it and I'm still getting crashed with manly tears when thinking about it. Just such an amazing game :')

Oct 27, 2017
Was wondering if you guys could help me out.

There's a song from Zero (and Kiwami as well, I believe) that's always stuck in my head, but I can never find it. I'll describe it as best I can:
  • It's usually in the background of stores/mini game buildings (pocket racing is common, I think)
  • It has a heavy guitar riff in the beginning
  • It has male vocals (in Japanese) and a super catchy chorus, that also features a rad guitar riff
That's... the best I can do. Like I said I definitely recall hearing it a lot in the pocket racing building. I have an oddly distinct memory of customizing a car while it played in the background.

Thanks dudes!

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed by how much content is entirely optional in 5. I believe at this point I can progress the story whenever I want but I'm really invested in helping this mountain village with its bear problem.