• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Is it possible to go back to Sotenbori in the finale before the point of no return? There's so much content I didn't do. Cab club included.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to go back to Sotenbori in the finale before the point of no return? There's so much content I didn't do. Cab club included.
Should be able to. If not, just load your save in Premium Adventure mode once you finish the game and do whatever you didn't finish there, it'll keep track of what you've done, so you can do all the side stuff at your own pace.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
EAWVGBRXYAAS_6C

It's about that time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Some more Yakuza Online translations, this time focusing on some of the side content in the game, including the recent Mine event which dives into Kanda, Mine and Daigo's characters before the events of Yakuza 3:

Mine's story is well worth reading, especially if you've actually played Yakuza 3 before hand. Its one of the best bits of content they've added to the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How does Judgement run on the Ps4 slim? I picked itnip but if the framerate is bad, I might not play it.
Isn't that the kind of thing to consider before purchasing it ;) Fine I guess, its 30FPS but not solid all of the time. Its not like the first couple of Yakuza games on the system which are 60FPS most of the time on the Slim since they use a new engine. Pro is really the best way to experience them until superior PC ports eventually arrive.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Isn't that the kind of thing to consider before purchasing it ;) Fine I guess, its 30FPS but not solid all of the time. Its not like the first couple of Yakuza games on the system which are 60FPS most of the time on the Slim since they use a new engine. Pro is really the best way to experience them until superior PC ports eventually arrive.

I'll keep it shelved and just play it on the 5

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep it shelved and just play it on the 5
I look forward to replaying it on the 5 myself. I'm hoping the SSD can fix some of the texture pop in issues the game has (if that's even possible). And as a whole, aside from FPS improvements to the series next gen, I hope they can likewise improve that in the series. Replaying 5 now on the PS4 and it looks and runs so nice EXCEPT some pop in at points on the maps. Still far better than playing it on the PS3 though!

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I look forward to replaying it on the 5 myself. I'm hoping the SSD can fix some of the texture pop in issues the game has (if that's even possible). And as a whole, aside from FPS improvements to the series next gen, I hope they can likewise improve that in the series. Replaying 5 now on the PS4 and it looks and runs so nice EXCEPT some pop in at points on the maps. Still far better than playing it on the PS3 though!

Did you play Judgement on a slim/base or pro?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Did you play Judgement on a slim/base or pro?
Pro. And for the most part it was perfectly fine aside from one odd point in the very first prologue cutscene where it feels less smooth. But the pop in issue has been across every Yakuza game on every platform from the beginning, just something I really started noticing recently, probably because I was too caught up on resolution issues in older games before, which has been basically fixed with the remasters and Pro running all the RGG games at 1080p.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Pro. And for the most part it was perfectly fine aside from one odd point in the very first prologue cutscene where it feels less smooth. But the pop in issue has been across every Yakuza game on every platform from the beginning, just something I really started noticing recently, probably because I was too caught up on resolution issues in older games before, which has been basically fixed with the remasters and Pro running all the RGG games at 1080p.

I'll give it a run on the slim and see if I can tolerate it. Will find it hard to wait. Does Kiwami 2 run similar since it's the DE?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a run on the slim and see if I can tolerate it. Will find it hard to wait. Does Kiwami 2 run similar since it's the DE?
Yeah. All run similar on the slim. Same resolution etc. Only outlier is Yakuza 6, which was more unoptimised so it has the same issues + screen tearing on non pro consoles (so if you plan on playing 6 anytime soon, do it on a Pro)

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah. All run similar on the slim. Same resolution etc. Only outlier is Yakuza 6, which was more unoptimised so it has the same issues + screen tearing on non pro consoles (so if you plan on playing 6 anytime soon, do it on a Pro)

Screen tearing was a bit annoying in 0, but I noticed it only appeared in the heavily animated/populated avenues of Sotenbori and Kamurocho.

So if all run similar on slim I think I can tolerate it after coming off of 0.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Screen tearing was a bit annoying in 0, but I noticed it only appeared in the heavily animated/populated avenues of Sotenbori and Kamurocho.

So if all run similar on slim I think I can tolerate it after coming off of 0.
Nah. 6 was constant. Its way worse. Kiwami and 0 only had tearing in a couple of areas, 6 its all around the place. I hate screen tearing with a passion, so getting a Pro for my import copy of 6 was the easiest sell in the world!

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Nah. 6 was constant. Its way worse. Kiwami and 0 only had tearing in a couple of areas, 6 its all around the place. I hate screen tearing with a passion, so getting a Pro for my import copy of 6 was the easiest sell in the world!

Did the pro get a price drop recently? I don't remember it being $350. If it was always that price man I would have opted for it instead. But I remember it being $399.

Anyway, I finished 0 the other night and it was very good. I wanted to finish the cab club content but I had to move onto Ys 8. I'd like to jump into Judgement after, then possibly go for Kiwami and K2 after.

I like the idea a new story untethered to Kiryu. Plus the detective elements and everything else have me sold. Didn't even know it released last month. Sega skipped that marketing and it almost slipped my radar.

Shame about 6. I was warming up to the idea of getting it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Haruka chapter 2 cleared. Brutal ending... poor Haruka :( That said, not one to want to end the chapter on a down note, RGGS made sure to include a short intro with Akiyama to make me chuckle. So looking forward to getting back to using Akiyama's badass fighting style, if only you didn't have to use him in the arena! Hopefully this means I can finally play Mahjong as well, its been 50+ hours in the game and I've not so much played one damn match!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Started chapter 3/Akiyama chapter 1 today. Not really made all that much progress as I've started getting the locker keys, did a talkie bit with Haruka, then got a gold plate with Akiyama and grabbed the locker key radar... loving his combat so far though, a couple of heat moves of his are unlocked from the get go this time, which is very much appreciated. And as always, 60FPS makes a huge difference to how his combat feels - out of the 4 characters from 4 and 5 (combat wise) his always feels the best in 60FPS to me because his style comes across as really smooth and badass, and the FPS advantage on the PS4 certainly helps sell that. Looking forward to really diving into his section tomorrow when Saigo turns up!

Only complaint with his combat is lack of ground bounce off some of his attacks for follow ups - this is a problem across him and Kiryu since they changed the bound mechanics from how they worked in 3 and 4 so its more "realistic" I guess. Not true for Saejima though, he can still bounce enemies 10 feet into the air with his attacks, once again proving he's the best.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Playing through the Substories and having a blast with those. Kiryu's such a good dude. If you just look at the way he handles people in battle, you would think he's a cold asshole. He out here helping bands look badass!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The whole comedy mini game/side story for Haruka was way easier to do for me in the remaster. I doubt there's been any tweaking to it done, just helps that I'm not awful at Japanese sentence structure anymore so I know exactly when to interject. It might be my favourite character specific mini game of the bunch... definitely more fun than Saejima throwing snowballs! Its legit funny and its a nice change of character for Haruka to play a comedian instead of her usual personality - some of her interjections cracked me up, especially at the end of the third skit where she brought the fan out...

Well, maybe its the second best character specific mini game... Shinada probably wins this one - between his baseball stuff and the bizarrely addictive Kochin training, he gets some real fun side stuff. And for anyone that's not played Yakuza 5 before - Kochin training/racing is sorta a cross between taking Nugget and Pocket Racing - training and cross breeding your chicken so that you eventually have an unstoppable killing machine. Or super fast race chicken, either one works.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I was complaining about the slow start of Yakuza 0 a few weeks ago. I went back to it today and things got hype toward the end of chapter 1.

Now that things are more exploratory in chapter 2 I'm having a blast. The mini games and side missions... give me all of the quirkinesses. Plenty of opportunity to kick some ass too.

I don't know how much time I put into it today but it was a lot for me. Game has my attention. This is fun, y'all.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was complaining about the slow start of Yakuza 0 a few weeks ago. I went back to it today and things got hype toward the end of chapter 1.

Now that things are more exploratory in chapter 2 I'm having a blast. The mini games and side missions... give me all of the quirkinesses. Plenty of opportunity to kick some ass too.

I don't know how much time I put into it today but it was a lot for me. Game has my attention. This is fun, y'all.
Yakuza games always have a slow start, 0 is actually one of the best (along with Ishin in this regard) as they slap a really long badass fight/boss at the end of the chapter. Which is fantastic. The game will continue opening up over the next couple of chapters introducing some more important features and mini games (ways to make great money) and by about chapter 5 you'll probably forget the main story even exists!

Anyway, more time put into Yakuza 5 yesterday:
Essentially finished off all of Haruka's side stuff. The Sotenbori Love Quiz is a pain in the ass to navigate in Japanese, its like these Capcom quiz games all over again... (I forgot how bad I am at quizzes that aren't specifically about Capcom games!)
The other quiz/gameshow that you do though I had far better luck with, managing to clear all but one of them with scores above the required threshold (and those are pretty darn funny to boot)

Akiyama wise I've pretty much done it all for him aside from a couple of side stories. His combat training is pretty nuts (thanks for that Saigo) but the moves you get for completing it makes his combat so much more fun! Also dabbled in a bit of Mahjong, and the AI at least in Sotenbori is monstrous... they Riichi in a round or two, making it almost impossible to win. Kinda hoping Kamurocho has the lower level Mahjong league again so I can enjoy a slightly less stressful experience.

Pretty much ready to just mainline the story from here for the two, and it'll be onto the hilarious misadventures of penniless Shinada!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Chapter 7 in Kiwami now. I kinda don't follow the plot in my mind, is this weird? It seems a bit random what is happening.
I will mainline it now and just play the story as I can't wait for Kiwami 2, hearing it is a much better game/story.

TakenBrx

Jun 26, 2019
I'm streaming Kiwami 2 with lots of mods. New outfit for kiryu, fighting stance from Yakuza Zero. If anyone wants to see:

Last edited:

Icepick_1878

Nov 29, 2017

This will release next week on Netflix. I was instantly reminded of Y0. There can never be enough Japanese bubble economy.

Oct 25, 2017
Before I started this game, I looked it up on How Long to Beat. 31 hours for the main story? That seems doable, I'll just ignore most of the sidequests and probably finish it in ~35.

Now I'm 39 hours into the game and still on Chapter 6, playing Real Estate Royale.

Send help.

At least I'm rich. I have more money than I could possibly need, I think. Too bad I don't think it transfers back to Majima. It would be nice, as I'm kind of not feeling him, despite the amazing introduction. I just want to continue playing as Kiryu. :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Before I started this game, I looked it up on How Long to Beat. 31 hours for the main story? That seems doable, I'll just ignore most of the sidequests and probably finish it in ~35.

Now I'm 39 hours into the game and still on Chapter 6, playing Real Estate Royale.

Send help.

At least I'm rich. I have more money than I could possibly need, I think. Too bad I don't think it transfers back to Majima. It would be nice, as I'm kind of not feeling him, despite the amazing introduction. I just want to continue playing as Kiryu. :(
That time is probably taken from solely mainlining the story, and maybe doing a tiny bit of side stuff. Yakuza is a hard one to judge time wise, as one person can clear it in 20 odd hours while I'd take around 120+ hours for each game (certainly over 100 hours). Its all down to how much of the side stuff you enjoy and persue. I do it all, so Yakuza 5 is taking me ages to finish!

Oct 25, 2017
That time is probably taken from solely mainlining the story, and maybe doing a tiny bit of side stuff. Yakuza is a hard one to judge time wise, as one person can clear it in 20 odd hours while I'd take around 120+ hours for each game (certainly over 100 hours). Its all down to how much of the side stuff you enjoy and persue. I do it all, so Yakuza 5 is taking me ages to finish!
I doubt I'll do everything, but Real Estate Royale is just too much fun. I don't want to move on with the story before I finish it, assuming it's possible, since I already had to do a couple of main quests before the game let me challenge the Gambling King.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Real Estate Royale. What a cool reward, holy shit!

This is the first game I'm playing in the series and I was still super hyped with that reference, that shot is just too iconic.

I'm gonna miss talking to Marina. :(

I wish I could invite her to play pool and stuff like that. BEST GIRL.

This game is so cool.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Majima gets a similar reward, so well worth doing his side content as well when it unlocks next. The fighting styles are sorta nods to future games (in Kiryu's case its similar to his original fighting style, while Majima's... well it'll make more sense when you play the other games).

Oct 25, 2017
Majima gets a similar reward, so well worth doing his side content as well when it unlocks next. The fighting styles are sorta nods to future games (in Kiryu's case its similar to his original fighting style, while Majima's... well it'll make more sense when you play the other games).
Oh, even the moveset is a reference to the original? I just picked up on the boxart shot.

Can't wait to test it more next time I play. And thank god there's a way to send money to Majima, I have SO MUCH with Kiryu. Too bad I'm still limited to the initial 10 million investment, I wish I could send at least 500 billion or something.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, even the moveset is a reference to the original? I just picked up on the boxart shot.

Can't wait to test it more next time I play. And thank god there's a way to send money to Majima, I have SO MUCH with Kiryu. Too bad I'm still limited to the initial 10 million investment, I wish I could send at least 500 billion or something.
You unlock an unlimited money cap once you clear Moneybags plotlines. Just keep exchanging money between the two until you finally complete it and you can give Majima as much as you need.

As for Kiryu's moves, its actually more of a proto Dragon Stance than his actual moves list from the previous games. For instance he lacks Komaki's parries and counters (such as the infamous Tiger Drop) but the basic idea and most moves are fairly close to his dragon stance in other games. Its a cool little addition for those who clear the mode (and its pretty damn powerful in its own right!)

Oct 25, 2017
You unlock an unlimited money cap once you clear Moneybags plotlines. Just keep exchanging money between the two until you finally complete it and you can give Majima as much as you need.

As for Kiryu's moves, its actually more of a proto Dragon Stance than his actual moves list from the previous games. For instance he lacks Komaki's parries and counters (such as the infamous Tiger Drop) but the basic idea and most moves are fairly close to his dragon stance in other games. Its a cool little addition for those who clear the mode (and its pretty damn powerful in its own right!)
Do I need to send Kiryu money as Majima too? Maybe I'll wait until I can transfer that money to start Majima's side activities, then. I'm on Chapter 6, 7 and 8 should be Majima and 9 and 10 Kiryu, will I be able to get all the money I want as Majima on Chapter 11?

Sorry to ask so many questions, by the way, and thank you for answering.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Do I need to send Kiryu money as Majima too? Maybe I'll wait until I can transfer that money to start Majima's side activities, then. I'm on Chapter 6, 7 and 8 should be Majima and 9 and 10 Kiryu, will I be able to get all the money I want as Majima on Chapter 11?

Sorry to ask so many questions, by the way, and thank you for answering.
Yeah, it has you switch every two chapters. You'll meet someone outside Cabaret Grand who's playing a guitar and lets you transfer money to Kiryu. The idea is you send a set amount of money to Majima, then send a set amount to Kiryu. This fills up the friendship bars on both characters. After they max out, you can just send as much as you want to either character. So yeah, make sure you send money back to Kiryu as well (plus you gotta complete both in order to unlock the hidden bosses anyway!)

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it has you switch every two chapters. You'll meet someone outside Cabaret Grand who's playing a guitar and lets you transfer money to Kiryu. The idea is you send a set amount of money to Majima, then send a set amount to Kiryu. This fills up the friendship bars on both characters. After they max out, you can just send as much as you want to either character. So yeah, make sure you send money back to Kiryu as well (plus you gotta complete both in order to unlock the hidden bosses anyway!)
Thank you! Will do.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza tends to have decent enough rewards for clearing stuff - like getting decent weapon unlocks (golden gun in Yakuza 3 rocks, but only half as much as the fully powered up Amon sword in Ishin!)
0 definitely wins this one hands down though. No other game gives you such awesome unlocks for doing a pretty straighforward quest chain (most of the other unlocks essentially require 100% completion or lots of grinding at least).

I finished 0 and never completed those. Am I missing out that much? I am in the midst of finishing up Kiwami...
If you like combat? Yes, more options is always good. The plots for real estate and cabaret are some of the best in the game as well. Otherwise, not really.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I finished 0 and never completed those. Am I missing out that much? I am in the midst of finishing up Kiwami...
It's more worthwhile to do them before completing the game, since it gives more combat options.
The payoff in post game won't be as usefull unless you plan on screwing around in post game for quite a while.

Though, I think those side activities are really fun and worth doing on their own.

Oct 25, 2017
That Oil dude sure loves losing his money.

And so do I. Goddamn. Mr Shakedown is paying for all my Casino expenses.

Someone send help, I've found another activity that will increase my playtime by an absurd amount. Didn't even start the cabaret quest thing.

Where do I find the dude who will let me send money? Should I just continue the main quest until I meet him as Majima?

Beat Mr. Shakedown's ass. Fuck him.
The first time I did it, it felt like such an achievement.

Later I was doing it to pass the time while waiting for the Real Estate Royale timers, lmao.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That Oil dude sure loves losing his money.

And so do I. Goddamn. Mr Shakedown is paying for all my Casino expenses.

Someone send help, I've found another activity that will increase my playtime by an absurd amount. Didn't even start the cabaret quest thing.

Where do I find the dude who will let me send money? Should I just continue the main quest until I meet him as Majima?

The first time I did it, it felt like such an achievement.

Later I was doing it to pass the time while waiting for the Real Estate Royale timers, lmao.
First Yakuza game right? Because the mini game thing is totally where I fall down as well, always getting pulled away to play Snowball fighting, becoming an Idol, side stories, mahjong etc. in Yakuza 5. Casino stuff actually got me to care about learning the rules and hands to Poker or learning the best ways to draw, stand and double down in Black Jack. Also, it taught me how to play Koi Koi and other Japanese gambling games, which I rather enjoy now!

As for the money senders:
Kiryu you need to go into Bar Vincent (I think that's the name). Its in the North East corner of the map in Kamurocho - the bar where you can go into and play Pool. There's a guy in the bar that lets you move money to Majima.
Majima's guy is outside Club Grand, playing a guitar (you can't miss him)

Now, I'm not sure which chapters these guys pop up in. It might be slightly slightly later in the game. So if they aren't in the locations above, you can just come back later.