• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
You played through the entire game? I don't think a second playthrough will do much to change your opinion, that does sound like a waste of your time, to be honest.
Ya all 50 hours of it. I remember nothing of the story/characters (which doesn't matter since its a prequel) and of gameplay I remember grinding and constant interuptions to introduce style masters ~_~; I kinda wanna replay a Yakuza game but I did Kiwami 1, Yakuza 2, and 6 last year so they're to soon and with the remaster collection coming it doesn't make sense to go back to 3/4 PS3 but feb is a ways off so I'm either stuck with 0 or nothin'.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
6 has the best story and K2 has the best big side activities.
Nope. Kiwami 2's big side activities are taken from 0 and 6 which sorta cheapens it. 5 beats the crap out of it side activity wise... Kiyru's adventures as a taxi driver are probably the best the series has ever produced, and then you have Saejima's hunting, Haruka's idol stuff and Shinada's baseball mini games (and that's not counting all the other mini games 5 has, only game that got anywhere close to that variety is 0). Also, 0 had better big side activities than Kiwami 2 as well - I prefer the plot for the Cabaret stuff over Kiwami 2's and I really did enjoy the real estate stuff.

I'd also disagree that 6 has the best story... but that's a closer race. I really did like 0's mystery more especially with the twists and some of the baddies used (and I just can't give 6 any credit for "that" final boss). 2 has a few bizarre twists but the main villains were much better, as were 1 and 3. I also really liked Kenzan, Ishin and Kurohyou 2 story wise. 4 and 5 would have been easy picks if the end games didn't kind of fly off the rails (well, 4's went off the rails, 5's flew off into outer space)... great final bosses though!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 3? Wait until you get to chapter 5/7 when things open up even more! And even then, the story only gets better the more you play.

Anyway, onto the finale of the finale chapter of Yakuza 5 (damn, after 4's super short finale this one is the exact opposite! And for my money, better because of that). The third chapter has one of the best sequences in the series - your annual visit to Kamurocho Hills (I took longer than I should have in this area as its the only time you get to explore it) and then... this:

I fucking love this bit, Watase and Katsuya are up there as Omi royalty alongside Ryuuji and Hayashi in my eyes. The build up to the fights (Kiryu's pre fight banter is classic badass Kiryu) while the boss music rocks, and getting to fight Kiryu as a boss in another game is always welcome (fun fact, I had 1 hit left as Saejima when I beat Kiryu, felt epic as heck as that's basically exactly how the fight should end, with all four characters basically defeated).
Daigo is still too trusting/naive though, he should never left Kurosawa with an opening... ah never mind, Kiryu would have done the same dumb thing... its like Yakuza 4's ending all over again! Katsuya's and Watase's exchange after this is really well done/acted... just another reason I really love Watase as a character and want him back. He's just great.

Now onto the end fights. And I can't wait. Some of the best final bosses in the entire series in terms of gameplay.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I booted up Judgment and the first thing I do is tail a guy by very conspicuously leaning into crowds and behind cover when he gets nervous.

This game is dumb and I love it.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Does anyone know the differences in substories between Kiwami 1 and 2 and the originals (as in which ones were cut and which ones were new in kiwamis)? Thanks in advance!

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Have played Y0 and Kiwami 1 so far, currently playing Kiwami 2. As I am going to wait for the physical release of the remastered collection wanted to know how good is FoTNS?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Have played Y0 and Kiwami 1 so far, currently playing Kiwami 2. As I am going to wait for the physical release of the remastered collection wanted to know how good is FoTNS?
It's relatively divisive.
The combat is top notch, some of the best from any Yakuza related titles, you can juggle dudes in the air, bounce them off walls, do all kinds of crazy stuff. The boss fights and story mode are pretty great too.
I dug some of the side activities too, a revamped hostess club, karaoke and the races.

The issue for a lot of people, myself included, was that that it felt like there was lot of bloat that didn't feel very enjoyable to engage with. Getting the parts to upgrade your car is tedious and a lot of other optional content feels kinda lackluster. The side quests are okay, they're better than the earliest Yakuza game's substories, but they're not on par with the substories of the Yakuza titles starting with Yakuza 5.

It's definitely well worth playing though.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
It's relatively divisive.
The combat is top notch, some of the best from any Yakuza related titles, you can juggle dudes in the air, bounce them off walls, do all kinds of crazy stuff. The boss fights and story mode are pretty great too.
I dug some of the side activities too, a revamped hostess club, karaoke and the races.

The issue for a lot of people, myself included, was that that it felt like there was lot of bloat that didn't feel very enjoyable to engage with. Getting the parts to upgrade your car is tedious and a lot of other optional content feels kinda lackluster. The side quests are okay, they're better than the earliest Yakuza game's substories, but they're not on par with the substories of the Yakuza titles starting with Yakuza 5.

It's definitely well worth playing though.
Cool, thanks!!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
FOTNS rocks for combat alone. Easily the best in the Yakuza series, so much more free flowing that any other game, plus the only game I can think of where I can bounce someone off a wall into a combo that ends with the dudes head exploding. Excellent boss fights as well.

Anyway, had a free morning today so I tackled Yakuza 5's finale. Honestly, the only issue I have with the ending is the existence of Yakuza 6, and me having finished 5 already so I knew what would happen. That said, there's still so much to love.

The final chapter is packed with combat, for all the characters. Which I really appreciate. Its really fun. Its a pity actually they didn't have one further bit with Shinada and Saejima so I could have used all four characters prior to their boss battles. Oh well!
Saejima might have my favourite boss in terms of hype - I mean a Majima fight is always gonna make me sit up and pay attention, and this one is the craziest of the bunch (he can summon clones now?). Plus the intro, heat moves and dialogue are all absolutely fantastic. I really do love Saejima and Majima's rivalry.

Shinada's is actually better on replay for me, as I thought his phonecall after fighting Baba was Milky, not Takasugi which was way more impactful for me. I love that he has a place that he belongs, I really do hope he got a happy ending, he went through so much the last 15 years... Also, the fight with Baba itself rocks, and seeing Kosaka and his cellmates show up just in the nick of time was cool.

Akiyama gets the best ending that deserved to be followed up on. The guy saves Kamurocho basically. "The only money lender to stand above the Yakuza". Yeah, I want Akiyama playable again after Ichiban is an established character please. And bring Hana back dammit. I really liked Kanai as a boss/villain in this game. He's a tank, a monster, and seemingly pretty damn invincible as long as you don't stub out a cigerette in his eye. He gets right back up after you beat him and only gives up when he realises he's very out matched!

Special mention to Daigo, who actually gets to do something cool. Between this game and 3 it turns out he's a bloody good shot. Pity he didn't take that shot sooner, could have prevented a lot of pain. Also, Watase is low key the other best character in the game. He's my favourite villain for sure, and he gets a brilliant speech with Katsuya when he almost dies.

And the end with Kiryu... yeah, Aizawa himself barely cares about the plan, he just wants to brawl with Kiryu. I love how he's completely outmatched - this is a dying Kiryu who still manages to beat the crap out of him. Now while the boss choice is no Ryuuji, Nishiki, Mine etc. he is the best fight in the series from a gameplay standpoint, only rivaled by Ishin's boss. And both are fantastic for the same basic reason - rather than staying in one place this entire fight takes place through all of Tojo HQ - now between the previous games (1-3 especially) you should be very familiar with this place, and using it as the end of the game? Pure genius. And ending the fight itself in the front area, pitch black night, snow starting to set on the ground. Its fucking brilliant. The QTE's are all great as well, very brutal and raw, this isn't like Yagami in JE where he's using proper martial arts, or Ryo in Shenmue (same thing), this is just two powerhouses beating the shit out of each other. Only thing I wish this game did like Ishin was music transitions per area, as a more somber tone at the tail end of the fight would have been perfect. Tiger Drops, counters and red heat mode are order of the day against Aizawa, it really lets you use everything you have against him and the fight feels so. damn. good.
The end bit with Haruka is great, and ironically actually makes Kiryu's choice in 6 make all the more sense - people complain that based on the events of 6 Kiryu's choice at the end of the game made no sense, and to a point they are right, but 5 is basically mostly Kiryu's (and Daigo's) fault. So him staying would only cause more hurt. He puts it best after Daigo gets shot in finale chapter 3 - "why? Why do people around me always get hurt when I get involved?".

As for the overall plot itself, I like it. Its taken 3 playthroughs to get it though. For example, I finally get what basically happened to Morinaga, and I do like how the plan is basically just a brutal Tojo/Omi war. In many ways this should have really been the last game, I love the characters in 6 but the stakes in 5 just make more sense in terms of a finale game. Though I suppose you could argue that Kiryu getting involved in 6 shows how his time has passed, the Yakuza have moved on and he has no place there anymore. I loved 6 though, so I'm not exactly sad it exists.

So yeah, 107 hours later the game is done. And I have a good 30% left to clear before I'm really done. Arena, Amon, Chicken racing... still gotta clear all that. Its definitely still my top Yakuza game after all this time. The combat is pretty much perfect, the characters and areas rock, the side stuff is the best in the series aside from the arcade (which Judge Eyes wins). Heck, even Karaoke is top since it has Baka Mitai AND Machine Gun Kiss.

Now to wait for that Shin news this week!

Oh, and in terms of the actual remaster - the only issues I really have is the following:
No readable Manga.
The one single frame rate issue is with one of Shinada's heat moves (his steel bar heat move) which drops the FPS slightly, briefly. Otherwise its perfect.
Some noticeable pop in, and OTT bloom for signs. Some more textures/signs could have done with touching up.

But that's it really. Its a beautiful game, and it runs so damn nice 99.9% of the time. 10/10 for sure.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I cannot believe what I'm actually reading? I randomly googled Yakuza 3 in hopes of getting an update on a remastered PS4 version, and here we are, somehow all three games got announced around a week ago?? Holy crap, I am so happy right now! Seriously guys, it deserved its own thread!

Now I just have to decide whether I should play Judgment first, which I purchased recently, or Yakuza 3. Either way, I'm extremely happy I'll have tons of Yakuza waiting for me. Exciting times! I've wanted this for so long.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe what I'm actually reading? I randomly googled Yakuza 3 in hopes of getting an update on a remastered PS4 version, and here we are, somehow all three games got announced around a week ago?? Holy crap, I am so happy right now! Seriously guys, it deserved its own thread!

Now I just have to decide whether I should play Judgment first, which I purchased recently, or Yakuza 3. Either way, I'm extremely happy I'll have tons of Yakuza waiting for me. Exciting times! I've wanted this for so long.
There were like 3 threads for the remasters last week, just saying ;)

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
There were like 3 threads for the remasters last week, just saying ;)

I'm glad there was a proper response to it, but I still don't understand how I missed it lol

Btw, I've played 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 so far; but now I'm not sure whether I should start playing Judgment or purchase Yakuza 3 right away. What would you recommend?

amprsand11

Jan 12, 2018
Canada
I'm glad there was a proper response to it, but I still don't understand how I missed it lol

Btw, I've played 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 so far; but now I'm not sure whether I should start playing Judgment or purchase Yakuza 3 right away. What would you recommend?

If I hadn't already started Judgment before Yakuza 3 released, I'd be playing it instead.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Have they said what time the stream is tomorrow? Couldn't find any info on it.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017

"It's not possible to bring it as it is with just localization to the west," Sato continues. "But if we do decide to bring it to the western world there would need to be some additional development and game design to make it fit for the western users."

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. I'm only interested in the story and the art. Can't say I'm raging at not getting the game.

Anyway, been doing more Yakuza 5 post game stuff. Shinada arena fucking sucks still. 100 man brawl literally goes on forever, I'm very certain I've beaten 100+ enemies and yet it never ends :(
Cleared chicken racing, loved it. Was worried when one chicken was faster than mine, but a replay on the race came out in my favour. Pocket Racing still rocks more though!

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty insane they changed the combat to turn-based. I can tell this one's gonna be a divisive entry in the series

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having a Dragon Quest-obsessed protagonist and changing combat to turn-based is one way to get me in. Nagoshi-san, you didn't have to, I was already in! But hey I'm not complaining.

I am worried about it bombing tho, I can't see it doing well at all. Either way, insanely gutsy move; I'm intrigued.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Funniest thing I saw was how Nagoshi mentioned that if its not popular (the combat) they'll just change it back for a future game. I'm all for the change, while I doubt I'll like it as much, I am interested to see how they'll make it feel as epic as a Yakuza game - in terms of heat/finisher actions, boss fights etc.
Still, people complained about the combat in the dragon engine, and just complained about the games all feeling the same, hopefully this'll shut them up for a while at least ;)

Now for me, not having read all the info yet, what's actually a far bigger departure is seemingly no Kamurocho. I need to see the story details first to see if this is a 2 city thing or not, but that's actually a far bigger change than the combat in my eyes. That's the central character of the series removed right there.

*edit* seem some quick story details. Looks like only the minimum from RGG Online were kept. Spoiling just in case...
Ichiban goes to prison for his father figure Arakawa - the boss of a Tojo Clan family. When he gets out, he's betrayed. Unknown if the whole Omi takeover thing is still happening. Only this time, instead of staying and fighting in Kamurocho, he flees to Yokohama. The story chronicles his "rise". Interesting...

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot express how disappointed I am. I wake up excited to see something only to see something I thought would be a side mini game (that looks good) as the main game. Not sure about other people but Yakuza was the game I got into because of the badass combat and fighting.

I still want to support them but I am not sure how to vote for the old style back other than to just hold off buying it for a few month.

I am afraid of having the series die again in the west because of this.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot express how disappointed I am. I wake up excited to see something only to see something I thought would be a side mini game (that looks good) as the main game. Not sure about other people but Yakuza was the game I got into because of the badass combat and fighting.

I still want to support them but I am not sure how to vote for the old style back other than to just hold off buying it for a few month.

I am afraid of having the series die again in the west because of this.
Bolded is exactly how I feel.
Though I don't think it will kill the serie westward, if anything I wouldn't be surprised if it bring even more people to the serie. Might see a drop from longtime fans but not sure yet!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I like the combat change but at least everything else that people like about the series will still be there with the main story, minigames, substories that might get even crazier than before based on the tone of the trailer all wrapped up in a brand new city.

Amon can now be an overpowered JRPG boss as well.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
They've experimented with the series before, Kenzan & Ishin, Dead Souls, and this looks very interesting.

If it's not a hit they've they said they'll go back to the old combat, and you won't have to wait long based on their track record-
Japanese release dates-
-Ishin! Feb. 2104
-Yakuza 0 March 2015
-Kiwami January 2016
-Yakuza 6 December 2016
-Kiwami 2 December 2017
-Fist of the North Star March 2018
-Judgment December 2018
-Yakuza 7 January 2020

(That's not even including the PS4 ports of 3, 4 & 5)

The longest they've gone this generation is 13 months.

Experimentation can be good, I remember other long time fans of Resident Evil being upset with 4, but I was excited and the game was great.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bolded is exactly how I feel.
Though I don't think it will kill the serie westward, if anything I wouldn't be surprised if it bring even more people to the serie. Might see a drop from longtime fans but not sure yet!
We will see I guess.

I am probably going to hold off. I want to make my feeling loud and clear.

I just hope the series doesn't die because of people like me.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit legit shooked didn't expect turn based.

Excited for this, after 10 years im ready for something new. Im glad they are shaking things up.

Having a Dragon Quest-obsessed protagonist and changing combat to turn-based is one way to get me in. Nagoshi-san, you didn't have to, I was already in! But hey I'm not complaining.

I am worried about it bombing tho, I can't see it doing well at all. Either way, insanely gutsy move; I'm intrigued.

Probably gonna be the best selling game of their last 5/6 games in Japan, they were in need of a serious revitalization there. The sales have declined a lot.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I say it again, very fortunate that I don't hate turn-based battle system.

But still hoping we could speed it up in battles.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Now it's easy for me to quit following RGG.
We already have three games with the new engine and I don't think it will get any better for brawling so I think this might be a good move for them. Also, 7's predecessor is a turned based game, a high affinity here.

一時代の終わりだねえ(´・ω・`)

edit: Nagoshi had a heart surgery three weeks ago and he hasn't got fully recocery yet and isn't in a good state for this type of event.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
With these new developments the base and crew building that a really wanted might be more possivel now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I do look forward to the NPCs I recruit from side stories playing a bigger role in my fighting now. I also see myself paying for DLC characters to join my party. Overpriced Hana DLC ftw!

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hype died a bit with the turn based combat news but im still looking forward to it.

I like the combat in Yakuza but sometimes the random street encounters happened way too often and it would eventually get frustrating when you are just trying to get to the next story part or a minigame.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
They should have done a full dancing rhythm game with Akyama as The Manager.
A baseball coming of age kid drama with Shinada as The Coach.
And a hunting / rescue mission game in the mountains with Saejima as The Hunter.

The full trifect.