• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Well... seeing the trajectory this thread is going I think I'm done. This is all getting too depressing and I've seen several apparent "long time" fans of the series in this thread and others here saying that only new fans are happy with this change... Well that's just damn insulting, seeing as I've been playing from the beginning, and have played every game in the series under the sun (well, bar the online games, but I've at least been following the plot closely in Online).

But apparently I'm not a real long time fan, as I dare to wait and see how the game plays, rather than jump on the hate and complaining bandwagon immediately. Seriously, the doom and gloom in this thread is embarrassing and I want no part of it. I won't bother posting here again, I'll just go elsewhere, where shockingly more long time fans are at least on the fence and interested to see where the series goes.

Oh, and thanks to gachapin for all his help with various translations, info and the like over the last few years, he helped me a lot in previous games.

This is bumming me out, shadowman16. You are the most passionate Yakuza fan on Era and it shows with every posting you're making. Seeing you go is just sad. :( For what it's worth, outside of the gloom of some people here in this thread, I at least didn't see a single post of someone saying that long time fans are in the wrong for liking this change. Not sure about the other threads on Era, because I mostly stay away from those anyway. I do like this smaller community thread, where we can talk about everything Yakuza even if there aren't any news, sharing our passion and more. Sure, there were some negative comments in here, but it's far away from what I saw in the other threads thankfully. Without you it simply won't be the same anymore. I do get all your points and that's exactly why I only read a couple of posts on the other threads before bailing the fuck out. Personally, I'm all open for a change. The trailer looked great and I'm sure the RGG team can make a fun turn-based battle system. I hope you will return one day. :( I tried writing you a PM, because I have so many things I want to tell you, but sadly your profile only has restricted access. I hope my message reaches you somehow anyway.

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't catch that at first, but you can change classes in Yakuza 7 at Hello Work. Now, Hello Work is an employment office in Japan, where people go to find new jobs. Genius.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Continuing my playthrough of Yakuza 3, I realized how much sub stories I missed the first time I played the game. It is like a whole new game to me.

Yakuza 4 was also the same as I never ran into sub stories in that game. This will change once it's out soon.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I have finished Kiwami 2. Y2 was my blind spot. I bought it on release and never finished it because of the asshole with the pipes being too hard. My greatest shame.

About Kiryu being a virgin according to the writer
I know Nagoshi and his team like to pretend Sayama isn't canon but there is absolutely no way they didn't smash between the Kamurocho Hills incident and visiting the graveyard

That was my biggest takeaway. Also I don't think it was as good as 4 or 0. And 6 had better characters but a worse storyline.

people

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Yakuza 3 Remaster (Platinum). It was 'shorter' than I remembered, probably because Yakuza 3 PS3 was my first Yakuza game and everything was new to me. I guess by now I know my way around Kamurocho and the various systems quite a bit better.

Roadblock (for Platinum) was mostly Expert Pool, Extra Hard Batting took a fair amount of attempts, but I noticed 'getting better' until I got after some dedicated effort. Ultimate battles weren't as bad as I remembered either, except Team5.

In all, was nice to revisit that Kamurocho again. Looking forward to 4, but not the (boat) Chasing!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is bumming me out, shadowman16. You are the most passionate Yakuza fan on Era and it shows with every posting you're making. Seeing you go is just sad. :( For what it's worth, outside of the gloom of some people here in this thread, I at least didn't see a single post of someone saying that long time fans are in the wrong for liking this change. Not sure about the other threads on Era, because I mostly stay away from those anyway. I do like this smaller community thread, where we can talk about everything Yakuza even if there aren't any news, sharing our passion and more. Sure, there were some negative comments in here, but it's far away from what I saw in the other threads thankfully. Without you it simply won't be the same anymore. I do get all your points and that's exactly why I only read a couple of posts on the other threads before bailing the fuck out. Personally, I'm all open for a change. The trailer looked great and I'm sure the RGG team can make a fun turn-based battle system. I hope you will return one day. :( I tried writing you a PM, because I have so many things I want to tell you, but sadly your profile only has restricted access. I hope my message reaches you somehow anyway.
Saw this. Changed my settings. If you have a question, do feel free to PM me, always enjoyed talking to the series with you.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Accoring to this, there was a small dev & fans meet up event for RGG online on the same day of the RGG7 event.

Here are something interesting,

*There are some bits in RGG7's story that you will enjoy more if you played RGG online.
*Yokoyama talked about "the change" and said RGG7 has "action".
*teased the next protagonist. Someone from the main series and not be a main character before.
r06_o.jpg
r07_o.jpg

Saw this. Changed my settings. If you have a question, do feel free to PM me, always enjoyed talking to the series with you.

Welcome back......I am kinda enjoying some RGG community in the playstation community lately.

Last edited:

Syv

Oct 25, 2017
*teased the next protagonist. Someone from the main series and not be a main character before.

Hmm, that narrows it down quite a bit imo.
I don't think that the Hiroshima Crew Yuta, Nagumo and Co. will return, they should have nothing to do with this.

If we just look at characters from the Tojo, I think only Daigo would be a possibility that is a relevant character that we didn't get to play as yet.

Since this involves the Omi, maybe someone from their side could be possible as well.
In that case my personal pick would be Watase, I love that dude.

As for other characters from even earlier in the series IDK (maybe it is gonna be Date lol).

Last edited:

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
If we just look at characters from the Tojo, I think only Daigo would be a possibility that is a relevant character that we didn't get to play as yet.

Daigo is so incompetent lol. Can't do anything without Kiryu there to solve his problems.

I guess you could say that for the entire Tojo Clan though.

Last edited:

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hmm, that narrows it down quite a bit imo.
I don't think that the Hiroshima Crew Yuta, Nagumo and Co. will return, they should have nothing to do with this.

Since this involves the Omi, maybe someone from their side could be possible as well.
In that case my personal pick would be Watase, I love that dude.

As for other characters from even earlier in the series IDK (maybe it is gonna be Date lol).
Tatsu is what popped into my head when I saw those motor bike images.
ss1.jpg

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've finished my first playthrough of all the games.

The past 3 months I've played 0-6 (and Judgement) all back to back. I thought for sure once I hit the PS3 games I would start to feel burnt out and have to take a break. Going from Kiwami 2 on PC to 3 on PS3 was rough lol.

I skipped pretty much all substories in 3 and 4 purposefully so that I had a reason to play the remastered versions. I wanted to skip side content in 5 too but I got sucked into the taxi driving/racing and Haruka Idol stuff.

As for my ranking...

0>6>5>K2>K1>3>4

Last edited:

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I've finished my first playthrough of all the games.

The past 3 months I've played 0-6 (and Judgement) all back to back. I thought for sure once I hit the PS3 games I would start to feel burnt out and have to take a break. Going from Kiwami 2 on PC to 3 on PS3 was rough lol.

I skipped pretty much all substories in 3 and 4 purposefully so that I had a reason to play the remastered versions. I wanted to skip side content in 5 too but I got sucked into the taxi driving/racing and Haruka Idol stuff.

As for my ranking...

0>6>5>K2>K1>3>4

Pretty hard to argue with this ranking. I might swap 3/4, but I might not. Otherwise I'm with you anyway!

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to feel about the turn-based thing really. I love turn-based JRPGs, and I've advocated many times on the site for classifying Yakuza as a RPG, but the action brawler combat feels too deep in the DNA of the series to change at this point. At least not for a mainline game. What's odd is that I came to the series not because of the combat, but because of the story and characters. And yet once I played it I was in love with the combat system and how it conveyed the energy of the characters. I'm not sure how that energy can translate to a very deliberate, strategic turn-based system.

So I guess I'll just wait for more info. They can certainly do what they want, and maybe they're bored with the formula after so many entries. But I didn't feel that rush of excitement watching the trailer. I hope they can change my mind.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty interesting write up considering how they allude that the combat will feel action like. Still, its something that they really just can't talk about but rather really need to show off. Good thing TGS is next week, perfect opportunity to show off a long demo.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
  • If you didn't know what it was, you would think you're playing an action game.
This sound really interesting. I am going to wait and see the gameplay for myself but I like that they took the concerns to heart. I am still disapointed in no brawling but I will give them the benefit of doubt. They never let me down before and they deserve a chance to prove me wrong.

I am almost done with Yakuza 3 remaster. I really like the game the second time and it is still as engaging as ever. Though I gotta say, it feels dated and is showing it's age. The cutscenes still feel like Kiwami 1 and 2 in that they have a "PS2 video game cutscene" quality to them. I think Yakuza 4 is when the series truly started doing really awesome cinematics. As for the rest of the game, it made me become more fond of Kiwami 1's combat. I remember disliking it but Yakuza 3 made me realize that perhaps I was a bit unfair to call it the worst Yakuza game. Even the bosses in that game were better looking back.

Another thing I wish they fixed is to change the characters models and animations to 0/Kiwami standards (that Mine left over model in Kiwami makes me think of how awesome that would be). They look really weird (Kiryu in paticular looks really weird in 3 and 4). I also encountered a non gamebreaking bug where the sub story markers become bigger for some reason but nothing offensive.

Will write more about it later but so far I am enjoying it a lot (even more than the first time playing it). Definetly worth it and we haven't even gotten to 4 and 5 yet.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, those comments are very interesting. I don't know how they can pull of "feels like an action game" with a turn-based system but I'll keep an open mind.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
They're putting a lot of thought into the system and I can't wait to see it in action. Bring on TGS!

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Not sure if this is the same info as Gematsu:

Even longer than before? The more I hear the more I dislike.

And it's definately being considered a mainline game in Japan based on the rest of that tweet chain

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Accoring to this, there was a small dev & fans meet up event for RGG online on the same day of the RGG7 event.

Here are something interesting,

*There are some bits in RGG7's story that you will enjoy more if you played RGG online.

Hopefully Atlus USA makes a webcomic or something that sums up the RGG Online stuff so we can "enjoy" those parts of RGG7, too.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Not sure if this is the same info as Gematsu:

Even longer than before? The more I hear the more I dislike.

And it's definately being considered a mainline game in Japan based on the rest of that tweet chain

「7はバトルに突入すると敵も自分も見た目がかわる。敵はゴミ袋をかぶっていたり半裸だったり、名前も変わる」
「味方も急に剣を持ったりする」
「なぜかというとバトルは春日の想像した彼の目に見えるRPG的風景だから。第三者から見れば人間同士の喧嘩だけど」

don't know what to think about this part, rough translation

When you go into a battle, you, your party members and enemies' appearance are changed. Some will be hafl naked, wear a plastic bag. All of sudden, your party member brought a sword from nowhere. Because that's the view Ichi who loves dragon quest sees.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Just a personal theory: What if a party member has let's say a baseball bat equipped, but in Ichiban's view it changes to a sword, because he sees a baseball bat as a sword due to his love for Dragon Quest? That could explain the statement.

The only thing I'm a bit "you really don't need that" from Nibel's summary is the fast travel system. Sure, the new location is apparently the biggest they have done so far, but I actually think it was a good design choice not to offer fast travel in the previous Yakuza games. But I guess it depends on a) how big the new location is and b) what kind of fast travel system we're talking about. Technically the Yakuza games already have fast travel via the taxis, but only to specific locations. Maybe it's similar to the already existing system. In the end it's up to the player to decide if they want to use fast travel or not. I never really used to the taxis for example, only if they were tied to gaining points like in Yakuza 0.

Either way: Bring on TGS. Can't wait to learn more about the game.

Edit:

Some interesting notes from the new information:

Ichiban's allies gain experience etc. by playing mini-games and doing sub stories as well, so not just Ichiban.

If I understood that correctly (hope my translation isn't wrong), they won't block of parts of the map for the sake of the story. You can freely explore it just like in other Yakuza games.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Finished playing Yakuza 3 remastered. That guy still has the weirdest voice I have ever seen, it doesn't fit his looks. I really liked his moveset though, pulling shotguns and pistols (while shooting like a gangster) made for a really hype boss battle. Overall I am really happy we finally got a definitive version of Yakuza 3.

As for the remaster itself. I feel it could have been done better. Some of the cutscenes have low resolution and the character models didn't age well. Kiryu in particular as his hair and face looked really weird. It was basically a port instead of a remaster.

Still, the game itself is great and for the price they are selling it, you can't go wrong. Looking forward to replaying Yakuza 4 when it comes out as it has been a while.

Though I gotta warn people, go into the game with a mindset that the game has a really slow pacing and is a bit dated in many spots. I knew this going in and it was fine because I played it before and this time I was doing all the sub stories I can find but I am not sure how a new player will react to it after playing Kiwami 1 and 0.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
3-5 all have two types of cutscene. One is the 1080p native cutscenes that run @ 60FPS, however for certain cutscenes (and there's little rhyme or reason to it) - some run at 720p at 30FPS, you can instantly notice the difference. Never understood why that was the case why some were enhanced and others not.

And as for Kiryu's appearance, it was rough jumping from his look in 1-2 (which I still love) to his weird look in 3 and 4. I swear its the side burns... mercifully they nailed his look for 5, far better.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through 3, this chase through the Champions District on hard is really fucking annoying.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
3-5 all have two types of cutscene. One is the 1080p native cutscenes that run @ 60FPS, however for certain cutscenes (and there's little rhyme or reason to it) - some run at 720p at 30FPS, you can instantly notice the difference. Never understood why that was the case why some were enhanced and others not.

And as for Kiryu's appearance, it was rough jumping from his look in 1-2 (which I still love) to his weird look in 3 and 4. I swear its the side burns... mercifully they nailed his look for 5, far better.
Yeah those side burns are what stood out to me. The eyes as well.

I am not sure what part of his hair it is but sometimes when the combat cutscene starts and they show his head it looks like his hair has a "mini heihachi hair". That looked so bad.

Agreed on Yakuza 5, he looked so much better. I could say everyone looked much better in Yakuza 5.
Playing through 3, this chase through the Champions District on hard is really fucking annoying.
Yeah that one was so bad.

People hate on Judgnment's chases but I never felt they were offensive or bad. They were fun enough.
Yakuza 3's are way worse and are always a drag when they come. I remember Yakuza 4 having it too but it has been a while.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chases got better as the series went on. 4's are better than 3's, and 5's are way better than either 3 or 4. Dead Souls felt pointless. Ishin turned chases into hide and seek. Judge Eyes made them effectively QTE's Shenmue style, just less stylish, they are certainly far from bad in that game.

Mack rocks though, so I can't hate on them too much. That Mack EX chase mission/task for modding is darn hard though.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Just a personal theory: What if a party member has let's say a baseball bat equipped, but in Ichiban's view it changes to a sword, because he sees a baseball bat as a sword due to his love for Dragon Quest? That could explain the statement.
With this setting, some bosses will be ten meter high monsters. Also, Kiryu was born in Yokohama. He might be having a life in retirement there. What if he makes an appearance in 7 as a master or an Amon-ish boss. He transforms into a dragon. #truedragonquest ;p

If I understood that correctly (hope my translation isn't wrong), they won't block of parts of the map for the sake of the story. You can freely explore it just like in other Yakuza games.
There aren't any roadblocks but you can't explore the entire map freely in the beginning due to the stronger enemies.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Chases got better as the series went on. 4's are better than 3's, and 5's are way better than either 3 or 4. Dead Souls felt pointless. Ishin turned chases into hide and seek. Judge Eyes made them effectively QTE's Shenmue style, just less stylish, they are certainly far from bad in that game.

Mack rocks though, so I can't hate on them too much. That Mack EX chase mission/task for modding is darn hard though.

Ishin sounds more and more interesting the more I learn about it.

Hurry up Sega!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
With this setting, some bosses will be ten meter high monsters. Also, Kiryu was born in Yokohama. He might be having a life in retirement there. What if he makes an appearance in 7 as a master or an Amon-ish boss. He transforms into a dragon. #truedragonquest ;p

There aren't any roadblocks but you can't explore the entire map freely in the beginning due to the stronger enemies.

Ah yeah, the stronger enemies. Considering the Dragon Quest theme, I guess that makes sense. So, in theory you could still run around the map freely but the chances of dying is quite high considering the stronger enemies. Hm... Well, we have to see how the new location will look like and how it's structured to see how much of an impact for exploring the town this change might have.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at how long the localizations have taken to try and guess when Yakuza 7 will come West.

Here's how long each one took in months -
1 = 9
2 = 21
3 = 13
4 = 12
Dead Souls = 9
5 = 36
0 = 21
Kiwami = 19
6 = 16
Kiwami 2 = 8
FotNS = 7
Judgment = 6

3 PS4 = 12
4 PS4 = 9
5 PS4 = 8

Binary Domain = Worldwide release in Feb. 2012

With 7 coming out in Japan on January 16th, 2020. I'll say we could see Yakuza 7 in July-Sept?

Now, if they're secretly working on a localization of Ishin! April 2020 might be a good time to release it :)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Sorry if this has been answered, but Kiwami stuff is done? So I can jump right into Y3-6 remastered after Kiwami 2 or will those also get the Kiwami treatment? (I guess not). Also are Y3-6 coming to PC eventually?

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered, but Kiwami stuff is done? So I can jump right into Y3-6 remastered after Kiwami 2 or will those also get the Kiwami treatment? (I guess not). Also are Y3-6 coming to PC eventually?
We might get a Kiwami remake of Yakuza Kenzan but yes, 3-5 are not getting any remakes.

As for PC, I would think so. They skipped Yakuza 6 so I am thinking they want to release those games first.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I was thinking I finally got the burnout of playing Yakuza after finishing 3. Today I am itching for more.

Not sure what the hell is going on with me. I am craving more Yakuza!

This series is really a drug.

Okay thanks, looks like I can/will wait a bit longer then if a PC announcement comes. Still on Kiwami 1 ^^
I am sure they will announce something after they come out on PS4. In the meantime you might get Judgment on PC as it is not connected to the series aside from sharimg the same world nd Kamurocho.

Hopefully they bring it and Fist of the North Star.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Hopefully they bring it and Fist of the North Star.

Somehow I think FotNS is probably the least likely to make it to the PC. That game is a nightmarish tangle of intellectual property issues, and just one of those rights holders not wanting PC gamers being able to easily do nude mods of their characters could stop a port dead in its tracks.

At least the PS4 version plays really well as it is though, and hopefully future Playstation system will be backward compatible.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I thought Judgment PC is out of the question?
ninja edit: Okay after googling there is a chance... but that may still take a year or so I guess. Or more.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I think FotNS is probably the least likely to make it to the PC. That game is a nightmarish tangle of intellectual property issues, and just one of those rights holders not wanting PC gamers being able to easily do nude mods of their characters could stop a port dead in its tracks.

At least the PS4 version plays really well as it is though, and hopefully future Playstation system will be backward compatible.
A shame if it doesn't happen.

I feel the modding community would fix a lot of the problems I had with it (mostly the grind being so much worse than anything in the series). We would have also been able to get the original anime music in the english version.

That said, I would love a sequel. The combat in the first was probably the most fun combat in the series and I would love more of it. They clearly left things open in the ending and I would love to see them do more tie ins to the Yakuza series. (How about a first of the north star version of Kamurocho with Majima and many characters from the series redone to fit the FOTNS universe?).

I would have also loved if they could find away to make the combat transition go away and make it more like the dragon engine games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, while its not the best vid around, this is a nice bit of PR for the series:

Playstation Access has been slowly upping their coverage of the series the more popular its become (part of one of last weeks vids were talking about Sengoku's marvelous plan in Yakuza 2). Its just cool to see the series get more and more focus, guess it does help that the main series is all on one platform (for now).

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
So, while its not the best vid around, this is a nice bit of PR for the series:

Playstation Access has been slowly upping their coverage of the series the more popular its become (part of one of last weeks vids were talking about Sengoku's marvelous plan in Yakuza 2). Its just cool to see the series get more and more focus, guess it does help that the main series is all on one platform (for now).

That's nice to see. More eyes on the series is always a plus.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine remake with Binary Domain mechanics...

Instead of robot limbs getting cut off and having different reactions they make the zombies do that.

Not sure if Japan allows decapitation on zombies though.
Now imagine the frame rate tanking when your blowing limbs off with that many zombies on screen. I sure hope they aren't using the dragon engine!

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine the frame rate tanking when your blowing limbs off with that many zombies on screen. I sure hope they aren't using the dragon engine!
Haha, very true.

What they can do is make the limbs disappear instantly or near instantly and it should probably help.

Although I am not sure how good the drsgon engine handles large crowds. I might have to replay the games to see how many there are.

I would be fine with the old engine or even a straight port honestly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
DS had several points where fairly large crowds (by PS3 standards) of zombies swarm you. Not quite Days Gone, but more than most Yakuza games. Add in effects from explosions etc. and the original game would drop frames. Now, I think unaltered the game should be fine on PS4, after all the huge docks fight in Yakuza 5 runs wonderfully in the remaster, but obvious the DE would be half the FPS at 30FPS, and even then certain particle effects can drop it further (look at a couple of points in Judge Eyes - with the arcade cabs in the Batting Cages, or Amon). So limb damage + large groups + explosions = bad news! A straight up remastered port would be the safer bet, maybe doing something about the controls if possible.