• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
DS had several points where fairly large crowds (by PS3 standards) of zombies swarm you. Not quite Days Gone, but more than most Yakuza games. Add in effects from explosions etc. and the original game would drop frames. Now, I think unaltered the game should be fine on PS4, after all the huge docks fight in Yakuza 5 runs wonderfully in the remaster, but obvious the DE would be half the FPS at 30FPS, and even then certain particle effects can drop it further (look at a couple of points in Judge Eyes - with the arcade cabs in the Batting Cages, or Amon). So limb damage + large groups + explosions = bad news! A straight up remastered port would be the safer bet, maybe doing something about the controls if possible.
That's true.

Been years since I played it so I am misremembering a lot. I do remember huge numbers of enemies though.

But yes, when you think about it, Dead Souls would probably be just fine as a port. Unlike the dragon engine games, it won't feel as dated because you don't have a lot of combat transition like how Yakuza usually is with the enemy encountes. You just go to the combat zones and it pretty much stays that way (unless I am misremembering something).

An alternative control scheme would be good enough if possible but not necessary to me personally. (But fix Kiryu's character model while you are at it. I hate it!)

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
So helping this Suda guy cross the bridge is proving to be a pain in the ass. My Majima is not good enough to stop him from getting his ass beat. I thought it was gonna be easy lol.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished kiwami 2 and damn that was boring as shit. Started of good but everything went down hill with the korean mafia stuff.

So far for me Zero >>>>>>>>>kiwami>>>>kiwami 2.

Zero though out was awesome, kiwami the first half was great, second half was ok, kiwami 2 was unberable through out other than the ryuji bits.

And the combat was dreadfull, way way too clunky and slow. They should have stuck with zero/kiwami combat and improved on that.

I think i'm gonna take a long break before getting into 3.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Yakuza 3, and boy, they were clearly running out of steam plot wise by this one. Everything in kamurocho seems like a paint by numbers Yakuza game , being a retread of stuff 0-2 (kiwami versions) did better.

The dad kiryu parts in Okinawa were definitely the standout though.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Just finished kiwami 2 and damn that was boring as shit. Started of good but everything went down hill with the korean mafia stuff.

Zero though out was awesome, kiwami the first half was great, second half was ok, kiwami 2 was unberable through out other than the ryuji bits.

And the combat was dreadfull, way way too clunky and slow. They should have stuck with zero/kiwami combat and improved on that.

Maybe thats why they are switching to turn based combat. Judgement combat was dreadful as well

vix

Nov 18, 2017
Finished off Yakuza 3 last night. Ended up being a bit disappointed in the story. Probably my shortest time with a Yakuza game, clocking in at around 26 hours after finishing off the story. Was gonna try and finish off some more substories but I don't know how far I'll get. Out of 0, K1, K2 and Judgment, 3 was by far my least favorite at this point.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
The dragon engine combat is a much better package than the old system. There's weight to the action instead of simple animation.

Also the engine let you transition in and out of fight without having to load and get cornered off by the crowd.

Don't know what y'all smoking to think the old system is better. The one thing better in the old system was more heat moves. And Judgment actually caught up in that aspect as well.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bet I'll be able to clear an entire turn based battle in Y7 in the same time it takes Kiryu to go back to neutral state after a heavy attack in a Dragon Engine game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to disagree about the Dragon Engine combat. Setting aside Judgment for a moment, Kiryu's combat in Kiwami 2 (I'll ignore 6 as that's so undercooked combat wise it feels unfare to compare) to both 0 and 5 there's less to be had.
In 5 Kiryu has an insane amount of moves available right off the bat - both heat moves and normal combat moves. This only improves more and more as you play, basically whatever instance you find yourself in, you have a heat move to handle the situation. Then 0 changes things up with giving you 4 distinct styles all with their own heat moves, counters and own traits (want to dash/dodge more like Akiyama? Rush, want to have Saejima level tank power? Beast etc.) and again, it feels so darn good to use, especially in the end finale where you can swap between them and destroy hordes of enemies.

Kiwami 2 just has less moves. That's all. Gone are 0s stances, with a couple of moves here and there rolled into Kiryu's main style (some beast traits remain for example). He's slower and less agile for sure, and everything definitely has more of a weight to it - in and of itself not something I hate, couple that with the physics engine used now and it can lead to some awesome moments. Tiger Drop absolutely sucks though and I don't recall Kiryu ever getting his R1+circle counter back from Komaki (can anyone confirm? I can't remember 100%)
Its not so much I don't love Kiryu's combat in Kiwami 2, they corrected almost all the issues I had with 6 (mainly just weapons and moves that were missing) but when you take his recognisable fighting style from 1-5, and his badass stances from 0 and compare that to his smaller moves list in Kiwami 2, I can't agree that its better.

Now Judgment, that's a different story because Yagami has his own brand new moves list, so the expectations of 10 years of Kiryu combat isn't there. Plus he gets his own flips. wall bounces and other crazy stuff that really helps not only set him apart from Kiryu, but also breath some new life into the combat - especially against larger crowds. He's also got even more heat moves (tons in fact) and his tiger drop is fixed over the last two games. Yay! And two clearly defined attack stances. And so many context sensitive heat moves against both solo and crowds that combat rarely got boring for me. Honestly, the only negative I really have over this combat is some larger enemies/tigers are a pain to hit, as you kinda "bounce" off of them on hit, it just does't feel quite right. Judgment definitely sets the benchmark for DE combat, its the one sad thing about 7's combat change, as undoubtedly we'd have seen Ichiban with his own style(s) and moves built up from the experience of the past 3 games, though the new combat ideas could introduce their own legit epic moments, we'll have to wait and see.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing the dragon engine combat over the old engine is the physics. I really love kicking people away like a football when they are down and I really like that the items in the world can hit them by accident and damage them. You also have the fact there is no loading between fights and that you can go into stores while fighting.

Otherwise the old engine combat was better. Judgment's combat is the best dragon engine combat and while it didn't beat 0, it came close to being as good. Next game with brawling combat will surely surpass it.

What would you guys think about the next Yakuza having a "Shenmue" type situation for Ichiban (assuming Yakuza 8 is a brawler)? Ichiban isn't a "dragon" yet so we can assume that he still hasn't created his own style yet like Kiryu and there is a lot for him to learn.

I feel it would be a huge shame if Yagami's fighting style never comes back if Yagami doesn't return (because of budget reasons) so this could be a good way to bring it back.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Online actually has a whole chapter where Ichiban and crew have to train to get stronger - trained by Komaki and that psycho Saigo. It would actually work out pretty cool to have a situation where Ichiban is basically Kiryu in Yakuza 1 (only nowhere near as refined) and Komaki and co are training him and helping him refine his fighting style. They have a decent stable of "masters" - Koamki and Saigo, with dudes like Kamiyama and Shoji Yonashiro for weapons training.
Heck, even Saejima or Majima could serve as a trainer in the most meat headed way possible (if you can beat him, your strong enough to take on the Omi!)

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
That would be cool. Glad Komaki is back.

Ichiban sounds like he could be the most flexible character so far so I hope they add some of that. Could make for some really interesting journey compared to Kiryu.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I dig both combat styles. The physics based one is less fleshed out and doesn't preform as well without 60fps. Checking it out on pc was impressive though.

Though if pushed, I'd probably prefer to go with the animation based combat. It would be interesting to see how impressive the physics based system will or could get over a bunch more entries improving on it though.
Finished Yakuza 3, and boy, they were clearly running out of steam plot wise by this one. Everything in kamurocho seems like a paint by numbers Yakuza game , being a retread of stuff 0-2 (kiwami versions) did better.

The dad kiryu parts in Okinawa were definitely the standout though.

One thing worth noting is that Yakuza 3 was a really impressive graphical and engine jump over the prior titles (Kenzan too).
Yakuza 1 & 2 had you explore the city with moving fixed camera angles that you had no control over. A lot of the time you had an overhead perspective and the game would briefly load every time you moved to a different street / camera angle.

Suddenly getting to explore the city with camera control and the ability to use first person felt like a whole new perspective on the city. It felt like a jump to 3D.
Getting to poke around in first person in these locations you already knew made Kamurocho feel really quite impressive and fresh in this entry.
Even playing all of these for the first time recently (just before Yakuza 0 came out), still made Yakuza 3 feel like this very impressive leap.

I guess I just wanted to mention this, because coming from K1 & K2 this is mostly absent.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I decided to advance the main story for a bit, just to unlock the option to send unlimited money to Majima, but things got way too intense and I couldn't stop playing, lmao.

Stopped right before the final fight, when the game tells you to make another save because this is it.

I was liking the story a lot from the start, but now I get why people say it starts slow, Jesus Christ.

I was not expecting to cry with this game. Kiryu is the best.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind you can continue to do any stuff you miss after you finish the game in premium adventure mode.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
baby ichi 1 (。・"・。) or Haruto
002.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real revelation in that pic is that its the glorious Soaphouse, Shangri La - standing tall and proud before it gets a Majima truck through the wall... lol.

I wonder if they plan on doing a "who is the father" plot in RGG7, or just leave it unanswered like other characters in the series.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they never tried to rebuild it. Guess nobody in Kamurocho wanted to put money into it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered about that. They got
Kamurocho hills built from scratch from 2 to 5 (its complete as of 5) and repaired the Millennium Tower tons of times after its exploded (many times), shot up by a helicopter at least once, maybe more...

Yet Shangri La is used a delapidated building that you visit as it crumbles in 2, and by 6 you basically have the love child of Mr X and Nemesis living in the place! (which by the way, was an amazing chapter).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered about that. They got
Kamurocho hills built from scratch from 2 to 5 (its complete as of 5) and repaired the Millennium Tower tons of times after its exploded (many times), shot up by a helicopter at least once, maybe more...

Yet Shangri La is used a delapidated building that you visit as it crumbles in 2, and by 6 you basically have the love child of Mr X and Nemesis living in the place! (which by the way, was an amazing chapter).

I loved that part in 6 so much. It was a great "hey, remember this place?" callback to the first two games with a cool twist. It had such a creepy atmosphere too thanks to that Mr X / Nemesis wannabe, hehe.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that part in 6 so much. It was a great "hey, remember this place?" callback to the first two games with a cool twist. It had such a creepy atmosphere too thanks to that Mr X / Nemesis wannabe, hehe.
Its a real tonal shift compared to the rest of the game, or even most of the series to be honest, well aside one similar bit in Judgment that is also awesome! I do love the nods to previous games as well, will be interesting to see if 7 tries to do much of that since its a new start

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Its a real tonal shift compared to the rest of the game, or even most of the series to be honest, well aside one similar bit in Judgment that is also awesome! I do love the nods to previous games as well, will be interesting to see if 7 tries to do much of that since its a new start
The chapter in Judgment made me wish RGG would make a horror game. It could be something really special if they commit to it.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019

I know some people disagree, but I honestly think the combat in both 4 and 5 are better than 0. Significantly so in the case of 5. The unified, complete style that each character has was more satisfying than the multiple styles in 0/1. So at least you have that to look forward to.

I'll never understand why 2 gets so much love. To me it's in the lower half of the series for sure. The twists were too many and too samey. And Kaoru is overrated as fuck. People thinkin' Kaoru is better than Haruka or Yuki smh :P

Icepick_1878

Nov 29, 2017
I know some people disagree, but I honestly think the combat in both 4 and 5 are better than 0. Significantly so in the case of 5. The unified, complete style that each character has was more satisfying than the multiple styles in 0/1. So at least you have that to look forward to.

I'll never understand why 2 gets so much love. To me it's in the lower half of the series for sure. The twists were too many and too samey. And Kaoru is overrated as fuck. People thinkin' Kaoru is better than Haruka or Yuki smh :P

Agree with all your points.

Saejima in 5 was amazingly satisfying to fight with.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

By just going off kiwami 2, karou was boring and uninteresting. Any thing interesting about her was her familys past and link to other characters like ryuji, standalone nothing she did was really memorable.

Maybe that will change as i get further into the series, but when i see what went wrong with kiwami 2 for me karou is one of them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
"
Summons

By paying money on your smartphone in battle, you can summon help. A large number of characters can be summoned, including Gary Buster Holmes, Gonda Wara, a crayfish, and more. Summons can support you in battle through attack, recovery, and more.

"

Lots to take in here. One piece of great news is my man GBH is back, I assume his Japanese will be as terrible as ever. But... a Crayfish? Why? Hows it got a cell phone, and hows it attacking on land? lol I fucking love Yakuza. Oh, and apparently (Google search) Gonda Wara is diaper man from Kiwami 2. Easy asset reuse there!

Carting makes sense if they have a bigger city, but it'll hinge on control and course design, well Nagoshi did create F Zero GX and I enjoyed the Drone Racing, yeah this should hopefully be fun.

Now gimme the arcade details dammit. Oh, and Pachislot... gimme cheat items to make them fun. I love the detail in 5's but actually playing them for the completion list would have been a nightmare without the cheat items.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Gary Buster Holmes is back!!! This does open the possibility for a lot of cameos from past characters.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Finished Judgment yesterday and for me it was a chore playing it. Definitely the weakest "Yakuza" game. Didn't care for Yagami or any of the protagonists. The story was predictable and the climax lacked impact. I wanted an epic final showdown not the shit I got. Hopefully Y7 is better as I'm still planning to buy it.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Hold on. Kart racing in Yokosuka? I wonder if there are still any sailors around there... ;)

Pachislot is back, too. I guess that answers our question if they will ever do something Pachinko related again, shadowman16.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
EELl9HTXkAIChIl

Finally. 151 hours, not quite sure how it took so long, definitely didn't take me this long last time. Either way, I still think 5 is the best Yakuza game. Combat wise Kiryu has one deep fighting style with tons of different heat moves, and then you have 3 other great characters (and Haruka who plays completely different, in a fun way).
Despite it taking me 151 hours, one good thing about the game is that aside from the arena, I never felt like I was grinding when clearing all the stuff - as its just got tons of different stuff to do, rather than an Ishin/HGG case of having you do the same thing over and over for either weapon mod parts, completion list stuff or random item drops.

Amon wise I really enjoyed each of the fights. They definitely felt easier than in Yakuza 4, but more because they didn't feel as cheap (especially Saejima's). Kiryu's fight against Jo was hilarious as he basically just uses your own fighting style, so I knew the timing of the attacks (thanks to using him for 10's of hours) so I just tiger dropped each and every attack even his red heat attacks.
Also, Haruka also gets two great Amon (dance) battles. Its a pity that its optional - not actually required for completion or trophies. Its basically the only times that the game challenges you difficulty wise in the music sections, which was great fun.
EELbtwjWsAEUe8O

Here's a commemorative pic of me beating Amon, Tiger Dropping him to clear all of the side stories ;)

Hold on. Kart racing in Yokosuka? I wonder if there are still any sailors around there... ;)

Pachislot is back, too. I guess that answers our question if they will ever do something Pachinko related again, shadowman16.
I feel like that's my fault that slots are back after saying I'd rather they not bring them back. Oops!

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
TGS demo report

The reporter is dodging to mention it directly but it sounds like the tempo of the battle is off. Also, in this reporter's run, after thugs noticed 1chi, only thing you can do to avoide the fight is to turn back and go away from them and you cant pass by them.

The most important info in this report is you can try two variations of slot machines in this demo. Who the hell trys slot after hours of wait in the tgs line 8)

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
This Yakuza 7 TGS stream looks really cool. They showed off the battle system a bit.-
-Your party members follow you around the city.
-Battles don't seem to take much longer than the usual ones in the series.
-They've showed off status ailments, and special attacks.
-Positioning matters. Your attacks will miss if there's an obstruction in the way.
-Enemy groups are visible. They'll get questions marks above their heads if you get close. You can turn and avoid them at this point as getting closer will initiate battle.
-The map looks huge.

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
The battle system looks very slick and is close to the more cinematic presentation of the April Fools joke. Well done, RGG Studio.

Yokohama seems very huge. They showed the map and wow. There'll be a lot to explore.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 7 TGS Gameplay Trailer

Yakuza 7 TGS Story Trailer. Pretty much a director's cut of the previous trailer with more footage and new characters

Among other things, the gameplay trailer shows off the many side activities (including Kart racing), which all look great. The Pachislot machines are actual licensed machines. However, based on the overview at the end, it looks like we're not getting any new arcade games unfortunately.

Game looks fantastic. Love how slick the battles are. Looks like fun. The pace seems normal.

They also revealed the official logo for the English release in the west, confirming the Yakuza: Like a Dragon name.

EEPYAWGUcAEw4MQ

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the story stuff, looks like we might be getting a female assassin as a villain this go round, which is cool. I really want to know more about Ichiban's main support cast (the lady, hobo doctor and guy) as I already like what I've seen. Story looks fantastic going by the scenes, though obviously I'd need to play the game to actually judge on the quality. You have to wonder what is going on in some of those action scenes though - someone using a crossbow, housing block on fire, orbital satellite laser (that's not Amon's old one from Yakuza 4 is it?!)

What I did like about the side activities - looks like you roam the streets with your crew, which is cool. Also, looks like they play a more active part in mini games - Darts, Karaoke and Hostess Club all showed Ichiban interacting with one of his team, which for hostess clubs is new. I like this idea. The job system looked hilarious and awesome, host Ichiban looks cool. The new mini games looked like great fun and the production values on them are as ace as ever.

What I didn't like - arcade wise looks like rehashing old stuff. Now when the old stuff is Sega classics, that's not a bad thing, but Judge Eyes just came out last year and had a rather nice mix of old and new, I wanted that again here. Also, while the attention to detail on the pachislots stuff is wonderful, nothing outside of cheat items are making those things fun to play, so play, gimme cheat items!

So yeah, I get people being hung up on the big change, but I really like the change of setting and different gameplay on this one assuming the gameplay is as fun as briefly shown). I've just finished Yakuza 5 afer 151 hours, and I do kinda welcome this change. Not to say I don't want to see brawler combat return, I bet they could do great things with a team based combat system, but I certainly like what they are doing here and certainly want to see more.

TGS demo report

The reporter is dodging to mention it directly but it sounds like the tempo of the battle is off. Also, in this reporter's run, after thugs noticed 1chi, only thing you can do to avoide the fight is to turn back and go away from them and you cant pass by them.

The most important info in this report is you can try two variations of slot machines in this demo. Who the hell trys slot after hours of wait in the tgs line 8)
Avoiding enemies easily is kinda a big thing for me in this game. 5 demonstrated just how frequently (and involuntary) you could get into battles - Sapporo was the absolute worst for it). Also, who plays slots at all as a primary thing in Yakuza! I do it begrudgingly for completion, that FOTNS knock off machine looks kinda cool though.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
What I did like about the side activities - looks like you roam the streets with your crew, which is cool. Also, looks like they play a more active part in mini games - Darts, Karaoke and Hostess Club all showed Ichiban interacting with one of his team, which for hostess clubs is new. I like this idea.

If I remember correctly, the Famitsu article said that your crew even gains EXP and more when doing side activities / mini games, which is pretty cool.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, the Famitsu article said that your crew even gains EXP and more when doing side activities / mini games, which is pretty cool.
Yeah, they did. I assumed it was just people in your party gaining EXP when you played, not have them actively participate, which is way cooler. Hoping we can get some team Mahjong stuff going :)

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yakuza 7 TGS Story Trailer. Pretty much a director's cut of the previous trailer with more footage and new characters

His last meal is five beef bowls (M). Poor 1chi :( Just order the bigger ones from the start lol I already love 1chi. I can't wait for Kiwami 7 that features the classic action style mode.

Avoiding enemies easily is kinda a big thing for me in this game. 5 demonstrated just how frequently (and involuntary) you could get into battles - Sapporo was the absolute worst for it). Also, who plays slots at all as a primary thing in Yakuza! I do it begrudgingly for completion, that FOTNS knock off machine looks kinda cool though.
I saw quite a few people who are pleased with the news about slot mini games coming back in RGG7 on the net. It seems it got new features but it still doesn't sound fun to me as I'm not slot in real life.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
His last meal is five beef bowls (M). Poor 1chi :( Just order the bigger ones from the start lol I already love 1chi. I can't wait for Kiwami 7 that features the classic action style mode.

I saw quite a few people who are pleased with the news about slot mini games coming back in RGG7 on the net. It seems it got new features but it still doesn't sound fun to me as I'm not slot in real life.
Interesting. Not a fan of the slots myself but its cool other people are. I mean, looking at carting, the return of other legacy stuff etc. I'm happy enough for what has been shown so far.