• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Judgment it's pretty good, really enjoyed the story and new characters.

Also the main antagonist has the biggest kill count of all yakuza villains.

The last 2 fights in the last chapter also had some amazing choreography.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the rock songs to add Butterfly to and they had to go with that fucking song. No, not Nightwish or something like that which would have been far better... bah.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else feel Yokohama looks a bit barren in the gameplay videos for 7? Looks way less alive than Kamurocho.

Not sure if that's a design choice (maybe real Yokohama is that way?) or due to technical issues.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not nearly enough has been shown, also time of day can have impact on character density (its really true, daytime in several games will have less NPC's walking around than night time, and most of the footage I saw was daytime).
Also, barely any of the map has been shown off later, feels like its a bit premature to jump the gun like that, unless there's a massive exploration vid that's somehow evaded me. All I've seen so far is of a nice new area that's different to the ones shown off previously, which is great.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If I've already played Yakuza on the PS2, can I skip Kiwami and go right from 0 to Kiwami 2? Or is there enough new content in Kiwami to make a playthrough worthwhile?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not nearly enough has been shown, also time of day can have impact on character density (its really true, daytime in several games will have less NPC's walking around than night time, and most of the footage I saw was daytime).
Also, barely any of the map has been shown off later, feels like its a bit premature to jump the gun like that, unless there's a massive exploration vid that's somehow evaded me. All I've seen so far is of a nice new area that's different to the ones shown off previously, which is great.
That very true. I thought something like that (time of day etc) would have a say in it but I wasn't sure. I can't see them regressing for no reason after how alive Judgment felt though.

Now that I think about it, Yakuza 6 did the opposite of that, Hiroshima had less people going out at night and more in day time.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
Started Yakuza 0, liking it alot so far. I'm having trouble beating Ogita in the dance battle for the sub story. Any tips or do I actually have to git gud?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started Yakuza 0, liking it alot so far. I'm having trouble beating Ogita in the dance battle for the sub story. Any tips or do I actually have to git gud?
It is a bit RNG from my experience. Some times he makes mistakes and sometimes he is a perfectionist.

Try not doing mistakes and if you are lucky you will win due to his mistakes.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the amount of steps don't matter right? I'll keep trying. At least the entertain yourself x amount of times is going up.
Depends.

If he doesn't screw up as much then it will help to have a lot of steps, if he does screw up then you will be able to win without doing a lot of steps. Just focus on doing it without mistakes and you will surely win sometime.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
If I've already played Yakuza on the PS2, can I skip Kiwami and go right from 0 to Kiwami 2? Or is there enough new content in Kiwami to make a playthrough worthwhile?

If you already know the story then I would say you can just watch the additional cutscenes on YouTube. There are a couple of scenes between the chapters that show why a certain character (you know who) turned out the way he is, which I think helps a lot to understand his motivations. Also the opening part is a bit more elaborate and shows you more why Kiryu cares so much about Yumi. But outside of that all the new stuff is optional or tied to the gameplay like the Majima Everywhere system. While the latter is fun, I personally think that it kinda ruins the impact of the story fights you have with him. By the time you have to fight him the first time in the story you already fought him because of the Majima Everyhwere system. Kinda ruins that moment a bit. But outside of that it's a fun system.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What really hurts the Majima story fights for me is his new theme... its really not all that compared to his original boss theme. Which weirdly enough is used in Kiwami. Once. In this last SSS Majima Anywhere fight. Quite why its not used in his story bosses is baffling, it just sounds so much better and fits the second fight especially.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Oh, and for those interested, a translated interview from Famitsu regarding Yakuza 7:

No real story spoilers, sheds some light into a few things including mention of one of the new mini games - the whole Shareholder meeting thing from the trailer (you know, the bit with Nugget).
Sounds really cool.
Let's see...
Nagoshi said:
Of course we expected people to have doubts in the beginning. It's inevitable when you have so many people who've loved the Ryu ga Gotoku series for such a long time. And of course a lot of them are fans because they love the action battle system, and we've changed that this time. So it's inevitable they'd start crying and asking, "Why?" But I want them to know that we understand why they feel like that, and ask them to accept that we're going to continue on this new path.
...Oh boy.

It's a translation, so take the wording with a huge grain of salt.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I understand that as "we are not going to change the combat in Yakuza 7 back to action at this point" and not as "yo this is what the series is going to be from now on".

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Why huge grain of salt? The site is great for translations of interviews and such, certainly far better than any machine related translation Google Translate is giving you!
And going by another part of the interview, they mention that public perception is shifting to a more positive one, though not having looked at Japanese reactions I can't say how true that is.

Anyway, more interesting content in RGGO that I didn't even know existed:

Story that takes place between RGG1 and 2, focusing on Daigo "Dummy" Dojima. Its pretty cool, mainly because it actually shows the referenced fight (i RGG2) between him and Ryuuji. Kinda wish this would have been a Majima style chapter included in Kiwami 2, likewise its a pity the Mine chapter released recently is also exclusive to the Online game. Its some great content to fill in the backstory to other characters.

I understand that as "we are not going to change the combat in Yakuza 7 back to action at this point" and not as "yo this is what the series is going to be from now on".
Eh, I don't take it as gospel that they won't backtrack, if its received coldly in terms of sales they'll certainly sit up and take notice.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Why huge grain of salt? The site is great for translations of interviews and such, certainly far better than any machine related translation Google Translate is giving you!
And going by another part of the interview, they mention that public perception is shifting to a more positive one, though not having looked at Japanese reactions I can't say how true that is.
I didn't mean to imply the translation wasn't good, just to not take every word for granted as it's still a translation from a different language, and some of the nuance or intent can easily (and unavoidably) get lost.

That's what I did as well, but it's easy to misinterpret (especially because of course they're not going to change the battle system four months from release).
In the end it all boils down to the sales and reception of 7.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Why does this Nishiki/Kiryu moment in the middle of nowhere got me in my feels so hard? You can feel all of the emotion from Nishiki.

Damn, Yakuza 0 is so good.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think Ogita's dance off was annoying just so that new players starting with 0 could build up a big dislike of him early on heh ;)

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Why does this Nishiki/Kiryu moment in the middle of nowhere got me in my feels so hard? You can feel all of the emotion from Nishiki.

Damn, Yakuza 0 is so good.
Probably my favorite scene from the game.

I'd like to think Ogita's dance off was annoying just so that new players starting with 0 could build up a big dislike of him early on heh ;)
Started with 0.
By the time I met him again, I didn't remember the obnoxious, cheating dancer from 0. But I still disliked him enough.
Then, I looked up the cameos in 0 I might have missed, and had my mind blown by him and
Shinji.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Shinji... you get one side story while Yumi gets one throwaway line in the game just so the writers could claim they'd totally not forgotten to include her in the plot. Lol.

Seriously though, Yumi being absent from 0 was a strange move, she needed more character development like a certain other close friend of Kiryu which would have helped Yakuza 1's plot further.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah Shinji... you get one side story while Yumi gets one throwaway line in the game just so the writers could claim they'd totally not forgotten to include her in the plot. Lol.

Seriously though, Yumi being absent from 0 was a strange move, she needed more character development like a certain other close friend of Kiryu which would have helped Yakuza 1's plot further.
Agreed.

I bet most people never felt much emotion or cared much about her story in 1.

But hey, RGG said they want to do a Y0-2 (they never confirmed that it will ever come) so maybe in the future? :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I kinda felt for her. Well in a roundabout way since
Haruka finally meets her mom for real only for her to be gunned down shortly after. Which hits hard. Poor Haruka. What's actually funny is that Yumi's parting words to her is not to run, which ultimately Haruka couldn't fulfil, as eventually she also ran away much like her mother in Yakuza 6 - which the more I think about it is a sorta cool nod to her death in Yakuza 1, its one of several parallels in Yakuza 1/6 as the Hiroshima crews fate was similar to Kiryu/Nishiki/Yumi's etc. as their parents were also killed by a Yakuza boss and then adopted out of guilt? obligation? Ah Yakuza 1/6... not the best stories in the series but some of my favourite characters/bosses/music across both games.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I kinda felt for her. Well in a roundabout way since
Haruka finally meets her mom for real only for her to be gunned down shortly after. Which hits hard. Poor Haruka. What's actually funny is that Yumi's parting words to her is not to run, which ultimately Haruka couldn't fulfil, as eventually she also ran away much like her mother in Yakuza 6 - which the more I think about it is a sorta cool nod to her death in Yakuza 1, its one of several parallels in Yakuza 1/6 as the Hiroshima crews fate was similar to Kiryu/Nishiki/Yumi's etc. as their parents were also killed by a Yakuza boss and then adopted out of guilt? obligation? Ah Yakuza 1/6... not the best stories in the series but some of my favourite characters/bosses/music across both games.
You got a point.

I feel like it would be even better if they pulled another Nishiki and gave her a small part in Yakuza 0. Doesn't have to be much but something short and sweet like Shinji's sub story to give her more character (We barely saw much of her aside from the last couple of hours in Kiwami and I feel that's way too short for the moment to hit). Her involvment in Yakuza 1 was sad but I feel it is not enough to make an impact (aside from giving Kiryu motivation to live for Haruka). Yumi's character felt more like "spice" to the main dish (by tht I mean something to make Kiryu and Haruka grow) instead of her own character.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Very true. Its a pity she didn't get more fleshed out character development as 0 would have been the perfect point. A small series of side stories probably would have been best, seeing as how much meat there was to the story I doubt they'd have feasibly been able to add her without affecting the pace of the game. It helped for guys like Shinji, Ryuuji, heck even Ogita!

Either that or we could have gotten something better in Kiwami - they realised Yumi needed more screentime hence the tutorial flashback, however that wasn't the best thing implemented and honestly did more to cement Shinji's bond with Kiryu (and sex shops) than it did Kiryu and Yumi.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, there wasn't much to Yumi in the grand scheme of things, which is a shame...though I found that one true love line in Yakuza 6 a bit of bullshit, especially when with Kaoru, he learned to move on.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Ichiban has more luck with the ladies. At very least we are getting a cool looking lady as a party member, and the leader of the Korean Mafia in Yokohama looks like a pretty ruthless lady as well.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Ichiban has more luck with the ladies. At very least we are getting a cool looking lady as a party member, and the leader of the Korean Mafia in Yokohama looks like a pretty ruthless lady as well.
It does make me wonder, what happened to the lady who was supposed to be his partner? The one that won the contest.

I could have missed it but I don't see her in the new footage they released.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
No idea, nothing has been revealed about her yet I think. Then again we've only seen a small number of characters, maybe she'll be revealed soon? They'll continue to ramp up the marketting over the next few months so I expect to see more and more of it as we get closer to release.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Man, the amount of side quests in Yakuza 0 are huge. I feel like there's always something to do.

For some reason, seeing Majima snap old man Komaki's neck looks so wrong, yet so funny.

I need help with a quest: I'm tryin' to help homeboy walk across the bridge and I CANNOT stop the gang members from beating his ass. I've gotten close...only to get overwhelmed once I get to the 3rd group. Any tips on doing better? I feel like Breaker is good because it hits a lot of guys at once, but my skill level is pretty low in that style right now.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I finally beat Yakuza 6 and started Yakuza 0.

Xjpbe-F0-HCG-b-ZHa3c-SHOkjj-G-Q.gif

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
So I've played through some of 0 and i'm playing through Judgment right now. I'm always tempted to use a guide when playing Yakuza games since there's so many sidequests and things....but now that I think about it, is anything actually missable in the games? I think I read that there's at least nothing missable in 0 and Judgment because you can do it all in the post-game, is that correct?

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
So I've played through some of 0 and i'm playing through Judgment right now. I'm always tempted to use a guide when playing Yakuza games since there's so many sidequests and things....but now that I think about it, is anything actually missable in the games? I think I read that there's at least nothing missable in 0 and Judgment because you can do it all in the post-game, is that correct?
Yakuza 3 has missable quests but the game can't fool me. I'm always looking at the map and running around like a mad man.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Missable stuff (outside of some story trophies) got phased out in Yakuza Kenzan I think, as 3 and up has stuff that can just be done in premium adventure mode. 3 has a couple of side stories that are very time sensitive as you need AI characters with you, so you can miss them on your first run but can be done in PA.

Kiwami 1 and 2 thankfully did away with missable side stories that the original two games had. It was so annoying to have to consult guides to make sure there weren't side stories (that required certain responses) or locker keys that were missable (1 had a few locker keys in Tojo HQ so if you weren't paying attention you'd miss them and you can't ever get them again).

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Missable stuff (outside of some story trophies) got phased out in Yakuza Kenzan I think, as 3 and up has stuff that can just be done in premium adventure mode. 3 has a couple of side stories that are very time sensitive as you need AI characters with you, so you can miss them on your first run but can be done in PA.

Kiwami 1 and 2 thankfully did away with missable side stories that the original two games had. It was so annoying to have to consult guides to make sure there weren't side stories (that required certain responses) or locker keys that were missable (1 had a few locker keys in Tojo HQ so if you weren't paying attention you'd miss them and you can't ever get them again).

yea, I'm thankful that got phased out, even later on with the finished/completed side stories requirements for fighting Amon. Also, 1 had locker keys in other key areas such as the abandoned building with Arase and the Boatyard (which gave you the roundhouse kick), that screwed you over if you didn't pick them up before the triggering the events.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Yakuza bends over backwards these days to make sure you don't miss something - namely Judge Eyes letting you buy moves books you miss, and side stories changing from having pass/fail states where content can just straight up be missed to more drama stuff, with the only thing that changes is the dialogue depending on your choice of dialogue (usually a nice mix of serious and hilarious stuff).
I did like how Yakuza 2 had you work more for Amon though - unlocking all moves and arena fighters before you got a crack out all four Amon clan goons, they went way too far the other way in 6 which unlocks Amon super early if you beat two side stories that are just Saigo and Sodachi fights, its just a really weird choice (that is thankfully rescinded for all later Yakuza games).

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Woo boy, accidentally loaded up Yakuza 5 when I was about to delete it of my PS3, play log was over 73 hours and I didn't even get far in any of the sidestory quests other than the batting cage one.

The remaster collection is such a wild value when it comes to playtime.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Woo boy, accidentally loaded up Yakuza 5 when I was about to delete it of my PS3, play log was over 73 hours and I didn't even get far in any of the sidestory quests other than the batting cage one.

The remaster collection is such a wild value when it comes to playtime.
Judging by my last 100% run on Yakuza 5, that's basically 50% of the way through the game for me lol! Though I did take longer than needed to 100% the game, I just got pulled into it so much. Its not so much any grind or anything, but rather the sheer amount of different things to see and do in the game. Its nuts.

May 15, 2019
I started playing the PS3 HD remaster of Yakuza 1 today and it's amazing how much smoother combat feels than the original. Lock on seems to work a lot better with Kiryu's attacks actually following enemies as they move rather than just aiming for wherever they were when you started an attack. Other little touches like all phone booths doubling as item boxes and the lack of load times compared to the original really make a huge improvement. If this thing was localized with the level of quality the current games have I'd easily recommend it to newcomers over Kiwami. A shame it seems to be stuck on just Japanese PS3 and Wii U for life.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing the PS3 HD remaster of Yakuza 1 today and it's amazing how much smoother combat feels than the original. Lock on seems to work a lot better with Kiryu's attacks actually following enemies as they move rather than just aiming for wherever they were when you started an attack. Other little touches like all phone booths doubling as item boxes and the lack of load times compared to the original really make a huge improvement. If this thing was localized with the level of quality the current games have I'd easily recommend it to newcomers over Kiwami. A shame it seems to be stuck on just Japanese PS3 and Wii U for life.
I agree on the QoL fixes. Komaki is still an utter nightmare to fight in 1 though! As he glides around the arena while I struggled to see him let alone hit him (lol), but the lack of load times alone is an enormous improvement, as is the phonebox changes. That said, the one issue I have with 1's combat is the complete lack of heat moves, its quite bare bones compared to later games, which is something Kiwami certainly doesn't have an issue with. But on the other hand I prefer Majima's boss fights in 1 over Kiwami (less is more in terms of story, plus his difficulty is way more in line with his character in 1 - he feels much more imposing, he's way to easy in Kiwami).

Pity they didn't do away with missable stuff though. That and lack of mini games probably mean I'd still recommend Kiwami of 1, but I would still recommend people play both games just to see the differences.

And once you get to 2, you'll see an even bigger jump - that games combat and number of heat moves are greatly improved over 1, impressive to see just how much they refined it in a short period. Lock on feels even better still and with the greater number of heat moves, weapons, training opportunities etc. combat felt way more refined and varied.

I would totally be up for these getting released on PS4/PC as they are different enough (certainly 2 is different enough) that fans of the series would probably get quite a lot of enjoyment out of them.

May 15, 2019
I agree on the QoL fixes. Komaki is still an utter nightmare to fight in 1 though! As he glides around the arena while I struggled to see him let alone hit him (lol), but the lack of load times alone is an enormous improvement, as is the phonebox changes. That said, the one issue I have with 1's combat is the complete lack of heat moves, its quite bare bones compared to later games, which is something Kiwami certainly doesn't have an issue with. But on the other hand I prefer Majima's boss fights in 1 over Kiwami (less is more in terms of story, plus his difficulty is way more in line with his character in 1 - he feels much more imposing, he's way to easy in Kiwami).

Pity they didn't do away with missable stuff though. That and lack of mini games probably mean I'd still recommend Kiwami of 1, but I would still recommend people play both games just to see the differences.

And once you get to 2, you'll see an even bigger jump - that games combat and number of heat moves are greatly improved over 1, impressive to see just how much they refined it in a short period. Lock on feels even better still and with the greater number of heat moves, weapons, training opportunities etc. combat felt way more refined and varied.

I would totally be up for these getting released on PS4/PC as they are different enough (certainly 2 is different enough) that fans of the series would probably get quite a lot of enjoyment out of them.
Being able to fail substories and miss coin locker keys sucks but most people probably aren't going for 100% completion anyway. It was an interesting idea that I think seems more like bad design now that we're in the era of achievements. I never really felt the need to see Amon myself until Yakuza 3 when there was a trophy for doing it. Just letting you still fight Amon as long as you did every substory regardless of if you cleared or failed them I think would be a good compromise.

Personally I really like that Yakuza 1 feels like it has its own identity. It's got this moody, grittier atmosphere to it. It also all has this unrefined quality to it that I find charming in a way, you can tell that the development team were really giving it their all but that it was still just their first attempt. Kiwami on the other hand just feels like a budget expansion to Zero, and has some design choices that are way worse than anything found in the original. The new side content that tries to bring the modern series' humor into the game feels out of place among the rest of the game that's basically 1:1 lifted from the PS2 version. And I think the PS3/4 graphics on top of PS2 era animation makes the cutscenes look worse than the original game in most cases.

I remember 2 being a huge step up back in the day and it's still one of my favorites in the series. Dunno if I'll immediately jump into it straight after 1 since Kiwami 2 wasn't that long ago.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just sold my PS4 copies of 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 and used the money to buy the PC versions. I'm really impressed with how much better the PC version of Yakuza 0 looks with SMAA and unlocked framerate.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted to fight Amon myself, but yeah in 1 and especially 2 you can easily get screwed out of the fights (2 has a bunch of extra requirements in order to fight Amon, and is super easy to miss). Best thing the latest game (Judge Eyes) did was just adding stuff that can be missed in chapters into a underground shop, so you can pay out for them should you miss it. Best of both worlds then.

I suppose Kiwami could have been further improved if they'd not stuck to the PS2 original so much, or at least they could have tweaked other things (like the Jingu boss fight) to smooth out some rough edges. Other than that the one thing I wish they'd have changed in Kiwami was the original (past) Yumi character model. She has unsettlingly huge hands and its impossible to unsee after you see them...

I do like the new side stories though, especially the Pocket Circuit and Mesuking stuff - but that's because I've really enjoyed said mini games, so getting an entertaining little side story tied to them was fun. I loved the Maijma stories as well personally, my main issue with Majima's stuff was more the completion list requirements for beating Majima X number of times each, as it made it grindier than it needed to be, I'd have rather they'd have dialed it back to only the scripted encounters as they were great, at least I thought they were.