• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Do you think we'll ever get another wacky spinoff Yakuza game like Yakuza: Dead Souls? I know that game is like the black sheep of the series. I want some kind of remaster, since I had to hook up my PS3 just to play it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
All 5 characters rock in Yakuza 5. Certainly not a chore. Only part of 5 that's annoying to 100% is doing the arena 4 times. Even then, its only annoying to level up to unlock everything, and maybe using Shinada as he's not really best skilled to fight arena characters. Akiyama has issues there as well. Kiryu and Saejima are monsters in the arena, a blast to use.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
shadowman16 Seeing as you've played the remasters already, which one benefits the most from the performance improvements?

3 would be the probable guess

Some sections of the game, if you're going for 100% completion, are NOT fun. A certain playable character is a chore.

I'm anything but a completionist. I just didn't really dig into all the extra content on my only playthrough, so it should be interesting along potentially a new script.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
shadowman16 Seeing as you've played the remasters already, which one benefits the most from the performance improvements?

3 would be the probable guess

I'm anything but a completionist. I just didn't really dig into all the extra content on my only playthrough, so it should be interesting along potentially a new script.
Performance (as in FPS) is 5 without a doubt. It could never really hold 30FPS in most instances and that was painfully noticeable. While in the remaster the only drops I saw were in a couple of Shinada's heat moves, briefly. It also gets some decent texture boosts in places, so there are certain points in the game where it looks notably better over the PS3 version. Plus the other little boosts like load times minimised etc. makes it a great upgrade over the PS3 version.

In terms of graphics comparison between PS3 to PS4? 3 without a doubt sees the largest upgrade from past gen to current gen - since the last gen game was so hilariously low res it looks pretty bad on bigger TVs. But the jump to 1080p on the PS4 dramatically improves its appearance - especially Okinawa which not only looks wonderful now (with its great skylines and beach) but also has much better/clearer textures over the PS3 version. And it does indeed benefit with the frame rate jump as well.

4 is in a weird position, as in terms of PS3 versions its probably the best of the three when comparing the graphics and performance - it looked notably better than 3, and ran at a solid frame rate which 5 couldn't do. None the less the lessened load times helped stuff like transitions to roof tops, and the improved FPS and res made the game look and run even better. It basically makes an already good game better.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Performance (as in FPS) is 5 without a doubt. It could never really hold 30FPS in most instances and that was painfully noticeable. While in the remaster the only drops I saw were in a couple of Shinada's heat moves, briefly. It also gets some decent texture boosts in places, so there are certain points in the game where it looks notably better over the PS3 version. Plus the other little boosts like load times minimised etc. makes it a great upgrade over the PS3 version.

In terms of graphics comparison between PS3 to PS4? 3 without a doubt sees the largest upgrade from past gen to current gen - since the last gen game was so hilariously low res it looks pretty bad on bigger TVs. But the jump to 1080p on the PS4 dramatically improves its appearance - especially Okinawa which not only looks wonderful now (with its great skylines and beach) but also has much better/clearer textures over the PS3 version. And it does indeed benefit with the frame rate jump as well.

4 is in a weird position, as in terms of PS3 versions its probably the best of the three when comparing the graphics and performance - it looked notably better than 3, and ran at a solid frame rate which 5 couldn't do. None the less the lessened load times helped stuff like transitions to roof tops, and the improved FPS and res made the game look and run even better. It basically makes an already good game better.

Thanks for the rundown. Between the above and new scripts, my second playthroughs should be notably better.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Cliffhanger ending in Yakuza Kiwami 2, wtf... Couldn't even bother watching credits.
Maybe watch the credits? Also, heads up Yakuza 3 does a similar thing, so don't skip the credits there either. Come to think of it, I think Yakuza 5 and 6 do the same thing as well. And maybe Kiwami/1... Heck, Judge Eyes credits are a great little post end story in itself. So rule of thumb - don't skip credits in Yakuza games.

Thanks for the rundown. Between the above and new scripts, my second playthroughs should be notably better.
Yeah, I'm interested to see just if they make many/any changes to 4's script as well as its due out at the end of the month. Doesn't really need much tweaking from my memory aside from tidying up a few words here and there that are offensive (tranny) as well as some grammar issues in Saejima's flashback intro. Likewise I assume they'll tidy up 5 in the same way with Yoko.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and didn't see this posted:

More new job classes for 7. Fortune Teller, Riot Police, Idol etc. What I like is that certain jobs need you to do certain things to unlock them, so mini games and side stuff will be tied closer to the main game due to this. Which is great news for me - someone who loves doing all that stuff. Just waiting for the gambler job class that requires you to play lots of Mahjong before you can unlock - because I want a play style where I throw Mahjong tiles at enemies in epic fashion...

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! I was wondering if there are more jobs to select. Glad to see that there's a variety and you even have to do certain content to unlock them. Makes sense considering that they're actual jobs and you select them at an actual job center.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
You should have stayed for after the credits lol

Maybe watch the credits? Also, heads up Yakuza 3 does a similar thing, so don't skip the credits there either. Come to think of it, I think Yakuza 5 and 6 do the same thing as well. And maybe Kiwami/1... Heck, Judge Eyes credits are a great little post end story in itself. So rule of thumb - don't skip credits in Yakuza games.

Oops, my bad. By the way, how's the Majima saga overall? It's only in remake right?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oops, my bad. By the way, how's the Majima saga overall? It's only in remake right?
Only in Kiwami 2 and really only ties up his stuff from 0, alongside some brief focus on the lead up to 2. Its basically just fan service for those that really liked his plot in 0. The third chapter is fantastic, the first two are super short and not really all that note worthy aside from the intro in the first chapter. Final boss fight has an epic intro and music though, and Dio (Jojo BA) voices the baddie so that's cool. Basically its a really nice little freebie.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
It is probably the worst example of Dragon Engine combat, though. I returned to it a while after doing the main game, and suddenly lost all reservations about Y7 going turn based.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A minor Majima tale that doesn't have fleshed out combat from a longer game was never going to be as good. Plus using that as a barometer for DE combat instead of the latest game (Judge Eyes) seems strange - especially as JE shows many improvements including even more (better) new heat moves, new moves, new stances etc. It benefited greatly from not having to base its combat around a legacy character (either Majima or Kiryu) so should Ichian have received similar treatment, it'd have undoubtedly been far better than Majima's little saga.

That said, I look forward to seeing how the turn based stuff works, especially if we get more fun classes as shown today.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
A minor Majima tale that doesn't have fleshed out combat from a longer game was never going to be as good. Plus using that as a barometer for DE combat instead of the latest game (Judge Eyes) seems strange - especially as JE shows many improvements including even more (better) new heat moves, new moves, new stances etc. It benefited greatly from not having to base its combat around a legacy character (either Majima or Kiryu) so should Ichian have received similar treatment, it'd have undoubtedly been far better than Majima's little saga.

That said, I look forward to seeing how the turn based stuff works, especially if we get more fun classes as shown today.
Whenever someone tells me that Dragon Engine combat sucks so it is better we get a different combat, I wonder if they played Judgment or played the original games.
Like I can understand if someone feels tired from the combat or feel DE is a downgrade. However, playing every game in the series will lead you to understand that the combat became as good as it is because they kept adding stuff and improving them, Yakuza 1 in particular feel really bad to play these days and Yakuza 2 expanded on it a lot to make the combat even better, 3 and 4 improved even more, then 5 perfected the combat only for Yakuza 0 to come around and improve it even furthur by adding the style system. Yagami's combat was honestly one of the best in the series after I played it and it is on dragon engine (I like 0,5, Fist of the North Star best with Judgment being close). It took only two games in the engine to make it a damn good combat so I can only imagine how good Ichiban would have felt if the improvements were added on the combat of Judgment. I really hope that the next game does bring back this combat and improves on it. (As I suggested earlier, it would be cool if the took every combat style in the series and reused them in a "Shenmue" style situation. 7 seems to be doing this slightly but I am talking about meeting Miss Tatsu for example and learning beast mode from her or learning Akiyama's style or maybe even a variation on the Dragon style if possible. Of course, I would want them to make a special moveset just for Ichiban to make him his own person).

We will see how 7 will be. I am lukewarm towards it but I hope they surpass my expectations.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
EF3JhfMWsAA9ZmN

This is just great.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im liking the idea of how jobs etc. are handled and visualised in 7. Can't really say they couldn't have gotten most of that to work in the old fighting style though - but I do like the whole RPG visualisation in Ichiban's mind. Its weird, quirky, yet somehow works really well. Makes him a more interesting character as well, at least in my eyes.

At the end of the day though, with everything else they are showing off in the game, even if combat doesn't end up blowing me away at least the game will have so much else to offer that I'll have no chance of being disappointed. I can't help but wonder what the next game will do though.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Went into Yakuza 0 to reminisce, ended up replaying the whole damn game. Still right up there with 2 for my favorites - I wish they'd announce the 3/4/5 Collection for PC too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A RGG Online translated interview, has a little RGG7 info as well:

So in case there was any doubt - both Online and 7 take place in different timelines/dimensions. So basically Online is in its own continuity, 7 will continue the main canon from the previous console games. Also confirmed is that 7 won't feature any of the new characters that Ichiban meets after getting released from prison, though we know both games do share a tiny number of characters - that's Ichiban, Arakawa, Sawashiro and Mitsuo.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Kiwami 1 tonight and started 2 and god everything looks waaaay better than 0 and Kiwami. It's going to be hard going back to the PS3 graphics when I start 3 after. Loving 2 a lot right now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its a trade off. The older games don't look so good, but the frame rate sure makes the combat feel way smoother (especially if your playing on console and not PC). I've still not managed to find any Yakuza game that has more satisfying combat than Kiryu in Yakuza 5, he's just absolute perfection in that game.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Hey all, I had a question about Kiwami performance on Ps4.

Has anyone else encountered momentary skipping/second of freezing on the opening scene of Kiwami?

It's the scene where the camera pans and sweeps across Kamurocho.

it hasn't happened since, and I'm pretty sure it occurred because the data was being read from the disc at the same time.

Looked around online and it's happened to others. Want to know if it was my ps4 or Kiwami.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Data isn't read from discs, its installed onto the HDD. Its why the games are installed entirely onto hard drives, Blu Ray drives (to my knowledge) are just to slow to stream data off discs in real time for games. The disc is just used to validate your copy of the game when it boots or something, you can tell because the drive is dead silent once the game is booted. And its probably just the game. Best example in Kiwami that I can replicate 100% is against the final boss. There's a pause just as Kiryu removes his shirt (or the other guy did, one of the two) and the game freezes just for a split second as the boss fights (that might be the transition into the final boss fight.
Judge Eyes has a bizarre instance of one of the opening cutscenes running at a notably lower FPS compared to every other one in the game, for reasons I never quite understood. So yeah, just weird game quirks.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Data isn't read from discs, its installed onto the HDD. Its why the games are installed entirely onto hard drives, Blu Ray drives (to my knowledge) are just to slow to stream data off discs in real time for games. The disc is just used to validate your copy of the game when it boots or something, you can tell because the drive is dead silent once the game is booted. And its probably just the game. Best example in Kiwami that I can replicate 100% is against the final boss. There's a pause just as Kiryu removes his shirt (or the other guy did, one of the two) and the game freezes just for a split second as the boss fights (that might be the transition into the final boss fight.
Judge Eyes has a bizarre instance of one of the opening cutscenes running at a notably lower FPS compared to every other one in the game, for reasons I never quite understood. So yeah, just weird game quirks.

thanks, yeah and I played that opening cinematic again to see if it would happen twice more And it didn't.

And HDD, I mean yeah, it was being read to the HDD while it happened. Once that reading process stopped, it didn't happen again.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm really enjoying Judgement. Main story has hooked me more then any other Yakuza game... It's a shame about these terrible side stories and theong drawn out tail sections

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying Judgement. Main story has hooked me more then any other Yakuza game... It's a shame about these terrible side stories and theong drawn out tail sections
I haven't really played too many of the Yakuza games (only some of 0 really) but I'm 3 hours into Judgment and it's fairly engrossing so far. Wish my work schedule wasn't so hectic so I could really sink my teeth into it.

Loving it so far.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I wish RGG would fix is having no instant replay of mini games. Playing the baseball in Fist of The North Star or the car racing in 0 gets tiring when you can't replay instantly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've been asking for instant restart on mini games and the Ultimate Challenge mode since... (thinks about it) ... Yakuza 3. Fuck. Get to it Sega... Only upside to no restarting is that I ended up getting super rich off golf while trying to go for -5 par in Yakuza 3. So it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I always find myself getting annoyed when the story switches over to the other when things start to get good. Like, I had just got to the end of Majima's chapter when the explosion happened and wanted to see what took place after. Now I'm deep into Kiryu's story again and I don't want it to switch to Majima just yet. That's when you know you're hooked.

Btw, my Kiryu (skill-wise) sucks in comparison to Majima. I beat the crap outta Mr. Shakedown a lot with Majima, so I had more opportunities to upgrade his abilities. I gotta get my Kiryu right because none of the masters are teaching me jack if I don't upgrade.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu's got the better skills in the long run. He's a beast (lol) in beast mode properly upgraded. Rush is insanely useful at the start of a fight as well as you can go from 0 to full heat in one dodge. Kiryu should unlock his real estate very soon (if not already) and is great at earning money. If you want to really get lots of money (only works with Kiryu) you can buy up all the properties, get them at S rank, go buy all realty and combat money bonus related perks from the shrine, get in fights with Shakedown, lose to Shakedown (you'll "lose" all your money). Get more money, lose again... repeat. Then track down Shakedown again after losing all your money a good 4-6 times and beat him (a mix of heat and weapon heat moves are your friend here), you'll get all the lost money back plus a multiplier, making Kiryu obscenely rich. Its the quickest way to earn money in the game, but only works with Kiryu as only he has the shrine upgrades that give you the multiplier bonuses.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, I only started paying attention to the real estate part. Gonna actually start taking that more seriously.

The story is so good. Tachibana being Makoto's brother, Oda straddling the fence, Kiryu and Nishiki handing Kuze a very nice L. So much is going on. Realized mid-way during Majima's battle with Nishiki that the theme sounds like his final boss theme from Kiwami, though different. I'm glad I didn't spoil any of this and experienced it as I played. Yakuza 0 is something else.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Nishiki boss theme in several games are great remixes of each other - Ishin does the same thing with his character "Izo" with an amazing remix of "For Who's Sake". The series does this loads, with the "Receive You" theme remixed loads throughout the series, likewise Komaki's theme is constantly remixed in cool ways throughout the entire series.

May 15, 2019
Finished Yakuza 1 HD the other day. Gotta say I enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot more than Kiwami. Once you get some upgrades the combat is pretty fun, and more importantly isn't nearly as dragged out as fights in Kiwami are. Story feels better paced without all the extra scenes and Majima Everywhere, and there's way more substories with fully rendered cutscenes (including one that they didn't even bother to include in Kiwami at all). And the original soundtrack is so much better than Kiwami's techno remixes of the songs. Only things I'd give Kiwami over it are there are points where the added music in cutscenes helps things, and the actors definitely do a better job in their redone performances than the originals. (Not to say the performances in og JP Yakuza 1 are bad, they're just a little rough in spots)

Did all of the substories besides the hostesses (which thankfully aren't required to fight Amon) and it only took about 16 and a half hours.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Yakuza 1 HD the other day. Gotta say I enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot more than Kiwami. Once you get some upgrades the combat is pretty fun, and more importantly isn't nearly as dragged out as fights in Kiwami are. Story feels better paced without all the extra scenes and Majima Everywhere, and there's way more substories with fully rendered cutscenes (including one that they didn't even bother to include in Kiwami). And the original soundtrack is so much better than Kiwami's techno remixes of the songs. Only things I'd give Kiwami over it are there are points where the added music in cutscenes helps things, and the actors definitely do a better job in their redone performances than the originals. (Not to say the performances in og JP Yakuza 1 are bad, they're just a little rough in spots)

Did all of the substories besides the hostesses (which thankfully aren't required to fight Amon) and it only took about 16 and a half hours.
Which scene did they leave out of Kiwami? I know stuff they added, but not stuff they took away (well, aside from a few side stories). I do feel the new Nishiki scenes in Kiwami are a worthwhile inclusion though and I'll miss them in 1HD, just because he gets so little screentime otherwise, but I do agree with your other points. Though I do miss mini games in 1HD, just because I've grown to love stuff like Mahjong, Karaoke etc.

May 15, 2019
Which scene did they leave out of Kiwami? I know stuff they added, but not stuff they took away (well, aside from a few side stories). I do feel the new Nishiki scenes in Kiwami are a worthwhile inclusion though and I'll miss them in 1HD, just because he gets so little screentime otherwise, but I do agree with your other points. Though I do miss mini games in 1HD, just because I've grown to love stuff like Mahjong, Karaoke etc.
The substory "Casino Royale" has a cutscene at the beginning and another at the end, (Warning: English dub) and as far as I can remember this substory isn't in Kiwami at all. There's another where you collect on someone's debt at the secret casino, but that's a separate substory that's also in the original. There's also cutscenes in the Yuya's girlfriend, fake Mizuki, suicidal man, doctor's duty and Dojima's wife substories that are full on cutscenes in the original but just textbox style cinematics in Kiwami.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The substory "Casino Royale" has a cutscene at the beginning and another at the end, (Warning: English dub) and as far as I can remember this substory isn't in Kiwami at all. There's another where you collect on someone's debt at the secret casino, but that's a separate substory that's also in the original. There's also cutscenes in the Yuya's girlfriend, fake Mizuki, suicidal man, doctor's duty and Dojima's wife substories that are full on cutscenes in the original but just textbox style cinematics in Kiwami.
That might explain why the the Yayoi cutscene seemed less impactful in Kiwami... interesting. Pity as those particular side stories (I assume you mean Akimoto as the suicidal guy?) are all the best ones in the game - and the fake Mizuki one especially is important as its tying up a plot point from the main story (I kinda feel like it should be in the main story, especially as you could miss it in the original game and it really does fill in an important earlier plot point).

As for the Casino side story, I forget - do they even have the hidden casino in Kyushu No.1 Star in Kiwami? I assume they moved all gambling to Purgatory.

I feel I really gotta replay Yakuza 1 and 2, my memory on both is fairly fuzzy since I've mainly been playing the remakes lately.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
That assassin guy that shot Kiryu and Makoto looks like something out of a nightmare. Tachibana was cool.

The Dojima are brutal.

May 15, 2019
That might explain why the the Yayoi cutscene seemed less impactful in Kiwami... interesting. Pity as those particular side stories (I assume you mean Akimoto as the suicidal guy?) are all the best ones in the game - and the fake Mizuki one especially is important as its tying up a plot point from the main story (I kinda feel like it should be in the main story, especially as you could miss it in the original game and it really does fill in an important earlier plot point).

As for the Casino side story, I forget - do they even have the hidden casino in Kyushu No.1 Star in Kiwami? I assume they moved all gambling to Purgatory.

I feel I really gotta replay Yakuza 1 and 2, my memory on both is fairly fuzzy since I've mainly been playing the remakes lately.
Yeah, the Mizuki one should at least have a trigger on the critical path the way Yuya's and Yayoi's substories do. (Actually is the trigger for Yayoi's mandatory in Kiwami? You automatically get a call about it at a certain point in the PS2 version)

The hidden casino is still in Kiwami, the quest where you have to collect a debt for the owner of Shellac is still in the game. The localization team worked the "When you don't pay your debts, I'm what you get" line from the original dub into it.

If you can deal with using a FAQ and Youtube videos I'd highly recommend checking out the HD Collection. The user GoggleBoxFairy on youtube has all of the substories in playlists, I used a FAQ just to know when substories were available and then used his videos as a guide to figure out where to go and what people were saying.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Finally finished 0.

One of the best games I've ever played. Period. The way everything went down in the finale was so intense and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Damn, it was so good.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Mizuki one should at least have a trigger on the critical path the way Yuya's and Yayoi's substories do. (Actually is the trigger for Yayoi's mandatory in Kiwami? You automatically get a call about it at a certain point in the PS2 version)

The hidden casino is still in Kiwami, the quest where you have to collect a debt for the owner of Shellac is still in the game. The localization team worked the "When you don't pay your debts, I'm what you get" line from the original dub into it.

If you can deal with using a FAQ and Youtube videos I'd highly recommend checking out the HD Collection. The user GoggleBoxFairy on youtube has all of the substories in playlists, I used a FAQ just to know when substories were available and then used his videos as a guide to figure out where to go and what people were saying.
Yeah, I've played the HD collection before, its just been a while. I will be replaying it soon though, as I've clearly forgotten a lot from it. I had booted it up rather recently and was actually impressed by how it felt smoother than I remember controls wise - I could never tiger drop in 1 before, but had no issues doing it this go round. So I think I'll enjoy it even more next time. Plus I still need to challenge that damn Haruka 20 home run challenge again, the only thing I missed from the plat the first go around! If it weren't for me wanting to replay Kenzan and also import 7 I'd totally do it this year, but I'm still somewhat flooded with Yakuza stuff I need to do!

Really cool read, I'm really digging just how connected everything is to your levelling. I'm sure some will hate it (and I can kinda understand it, if you don't want to be doing side stuff just to level up) but personally as someone that obsessively does everything in the series, having a greater reason to be doing more mini games and side stuff is always appreciated.

That assassin guy that shot Kiryu and Makoto looks like something out of a nightmare. Tachibana was cool.

The Dojima are brutal.
Fun fact (especially in the wake of all the Blizzard/China stuff) is that the Assassin Lao Gui has a new character model and voice in the Chinese version of 0 - he's based on a real actor, and looks far more "handsome" compared to his more freakish face in all other versions of the game.
Bonus China fact - Yakuza 6 was temporarily pulled from Chinese outlets as one line of hostess dialogue mentions Taiwan (as she's from Taiwan). It was patched quick though.
Kinda makes me wonder what (if anything) they change in 7, as one of the factions are the Triads.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Really cool read, I'm really digging just how connected everything is to your leveling. I'm sure some will hate it (and I can kinda understand it, if you don't want to be doing side stuff just to level up) but personally as someone that obsessively does everything in the series, having a greater reason to be doing more mini games and side stuff is always appreciated.
Agreed, this system sounds really interesting! The game sounds like a lot of fun and a cool change of pace.