• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let reddit see that, they'll start complaining about it not being Yakuza but a reskin of Persona ;) Also at least this time we get some decent mini games in a "Persona" game!

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Wow. Had no idea Lao would look so different in the Chinese version. I'm actually fine with the creepy looking one they went with.

I think the one thing I enjoyed the most was seeing guys I wasn't expect to be fighters...throw down. I assumed Sera was just a regular guy that gave orders, until it was time to fight him with Majima. Awano always came off to me as a guy that was more about coming off as intimidating and letting his men handle things. I guess I started to feel otherwise when he effortlessly caught Kiryu's punch outside of Serena. Majima believed he would've been an incredible fighter had he not been so sidetracked. Looking at the punches he was packing, I have no doubt that's true.

Kuze was a character that I found a bit annoying at first, but the way he continued to challenge Kiryu eventually made me respect the guy. Dude got a finger chopped off, countless ass whoopings, hit by a speeding car, and still wanted to fight. It's also apparent that Kiryu still had respect for the guy despite how nasty Kuze was towards him throughout the game. Kuze seemed to get better with each battle as well.

Lao Gui was really tough for me, but he wasn't nearly as bad once I started using the bat more. Pretty tricky battle overall.

Definitely was not expecting Shibusawa to be the final boss, much less a capable of warrior. I only thought of him as a paper pusher that orchestrated deals or hits. Was expecting him to be another Jingu type of boss where he was doing more shooting than fighting. I knew that was inaccurate once he tossed the suit lol. It was a great battle.

So now that I've experienced the greatness of 0 after playing Kiwami, I'm wondering where should I go next. Should I go for Kiwami 2 or the Yakuza remasters? I'll likely take a small break, but I know I'll need some good ol' Yakuza again soon.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Had no idea Lao would look so different in the Chinese version. I'm actually fine with the creepy looking one they went with.

I think the one thing I enjoyed the most was seeing guys I wasn't expect to be fighters...throw down. I assumed Sera was just a regular guy that gave orders, until it was time to fight him with Majima. Awano always came off to me as a guy that was more about coming off as intimidating and letting his men handle things. I guess I started to feel otherwise when he effortlessly caught Kiryu's punch outside of Serena. Majima believed he would've been an incredible fighter had he not been so sidetracked. Looking at the punches he was packing, I have no doubt that's true.

Kuze was a character that I found a bit annoying at first, but the way he continued to challenge Kiryu eventually made me respect the guy. Dude got a finger chopped off, countless ass whoopings, hit by a speeding car, and still wanted to fight. It's also apparent that Kiryu still had respect for the guy despite how nasty Kuze was towards him throughout the game. Kuze seemed to get better with each battle as well.

Lao Gui was really tough for me, but he wasn't nearly as bad once I started using the bat more. Pretty tricky battle overall.

Definitely was not expecting Shibusawa to be the final boss, much less a capable of warrior. I only thought of him as a paper pusher that orchestrated deals or hits. Was expecting him to be another Jingu type of boss where he was doing more shooting than fighting. I knew that was inaccurate once he tossed the suit lol. It was a great battle.

So now that I've experienced the greatness of 0 after playing Kiwami, I'm wondering where should I go next. Should I go for Kiwami 2 or the Yakuza remasters? I'll likely take a small break, but I know I'll need some good ol' Yakuza again soon.
Definetly Yakuza Kiwami 2.

There are lots of newly added references to Yakuza 0 in that one. There is also three short linear chapters for Majima but I recommend playing them all after you beat the main game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Rule of thumb in Yakuza is even if they don't look like they can fight, they probably can. Well, maybe not Hamazaki... (aside from the non cannon DLC for 3)

Kuze's the best thing about 0. Both his theme and character as a whole. Out of everything I loved about 0, its always Kuze (well, and Amon) that I keep going back to.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Definetly Yakuza Kiwami 2.

There are lots of newly added references to Yakuza 0 in that one. There is also three short linear chapters for Majima but I recommend playing them all after you beat the main game.

Alright, definitely gonna look forward to that one.

shadow, I have to agree. I'd actually like to see Kuze's backstory on how he rose in the ranks. I know it won't happen, but it's cool to think about. My appreciation for him skyrocketed. I'm glad the final battle was 1v1 without any mooks interfering.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, definitely gonna look forward to that one.

shadow, I have to agree. I'd actually like to see Kuze's backstory on how he rose in the ranks. I know it won't happen, but it's cool to think about. My appreciation for him skyrocketed. I'm glad the final battle was 1v1 without any mooks interfering.
I always thought a Yakuza game taking place before 0 and back in the old days could be awesome. It could show in detail how young Shimano and Kazama did things in their prime.

Playable Kuze would be cool though. He was boxer so it could be interesting to show how he got mixed up in the Yakuza.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
eh, they already did the boxer protagonist thing before ;) (Kurohyou 2). But I've wanted a young Kazama game, and one that focuses on the creation of the Tojo Clan. Now that I'd like to see.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I've posted this before, but a pre-Yakuza 0 game idea reminded me of it-

I'd love to see "Yakuza x Shenmue" - a prequel to both series.
-Ryu Hazuki born November 29 1968
-Kazuma Kiryu born June 17 1968

Have it take place in Okinawa circa 1983-85 during their respective high school trips where they cross paths and run afoul the local gangsters etc. Visit the Sunflower orphanage, Yokosuka, train under Ryo's father. It would be awesome.

-----------------

Even without the Shenmue crossover, a teenage Kazuma in high school would be interesting. If anyone knows the manga Beelzebub, imagine over the top high school delinquents fighting him. Another manga I used to read, Great Teacher Onizuka, could also serve as an influence.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Highschool Kiryu would be hilarious. And awesome. Him and Nishiki fighting gangs, like in the Kenka Bancho series (which also featured Mahjong, so that'd be a safe mini game with the arcade!)

I'm against a direct Shenmue crossover though, the two series are very different, different enough that they wouldn't gel having methodical Ryo cross over with the more wild antics of Kiryu and Co.
What I wanted for 0 (since it took place very close to when Shenmue took place, give or take a year) would just be have Kiryu come across a wing of the Chi You Men who'd headed to Kamurocho for reasons.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eh, they already did the boxer protagonist thing before ;) (Kurohyou 2). But I've wanted a young Kazama game, and one that focuses on the creation of the Tojo Clan. Now that I'd like to see.
I keep forgetting about Kurohyou. I just wish they would port it to consoles and localize it. I feel like we might never get to play it in English because it is stuck on the PSP and the studio doesn't even remember it, it feels like. Hopefully the patch gets done someday.

Speaking of highschool Yakuza and Kenka Bancho, I wish that one would get another sequel (along with Way of The Samurai). These games were awesome. Creating a character and taking over the city as the biggest baddest bancho was badass as hell. Combat wise it could have been done better but imagine a sequel with a tighter gameplay...

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I know there is a decent amount in the pipeline right now for Western fans, but I wonder what's next in the pipeline:
Judgment 2, Ishin localised, a follow up to Yakuza 0 or something revolving around another lead character.

What do people expect the studio's next piece of unannounced work to be?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I have no idea.

Judgment sold well but I have this feeling that it probably won't get a sequel anytime soon. We might get Ishin localisation and maybe Kenzan Kiwami but other than that I don't see what else they will do.

If I could have a wishlist it would be this:
-Fist of the North Star sequel that is less grindy and also has a wasteland style Kamorucho and multiple style like in Yakuza 0/Kiwami. Maybe have the nunchucks Kenshiro used sometimes or sone other arts like Nanto Seiken or any other arts that Kenshiro could learn. There are lots of possibilities for a sequel as the ending felt very open.
-A port of the PSP Yakuza games.
-Kenzan Kiwami with altered plot in some places and Yakuza Ishin localization.
-Yakuza Dead Souls remaster. Yes the game isn't as good as the other games but it is still quite good. The shooting while somewhat meh still feels satisfying and the amount of fan service in the game is really cool.
-A new Brawler Yakuza.
-A Judgment sequel. Takuya's story felt complete in the first game so a second game could get a different protagonist. I would live a female protsgonist working as a private eye. One thing I want them to fix is the tailing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really see no obvious sequels at the moment beyond Yakuza 7, and eventually 8 I'd imagine (who knows what gameplay it'll have though).

I'd like a Kenzan remaster (not remake). But really, something new, as I've already played everything Yakuza has to offer currently, and I'd like something completely brand new.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this last year, but If they do another period spin off I'd like to see it set either during WWII, after the war during the occupation, or during the 1960's like a Seijun Suzuki film (Tokyo Drifter etc..). The '60's saw the Olympics & the opening of the world's 1st high speed railway. Plus there were student protests & the rise of Pink films. Lots of things the Yakuza could be involved with.

Gangs-SPREAD-15F-a.jpg

Gangs-SPREAD-12F-a.jpg

Gangs%2Bof%2BKabukicho%2B%252836%2529.jpg

Check out this picture. The gateway to Kabukicho (real life Kamurocho) was put up in 1956-
kabukicho.png

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the kind of era's I'd love another spinoff take. Something new and different, while still letting them reuse the basic Kamurocho map!

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally beat Judgement and loved it. The story went to some interesting places but there's one thing that really kind of gave me a raised eyebrow. I know it's been out for a bit. If y'all feel it's not spoiler worthy I'll remove the tags.

Isn't it kind of weird how this game clearly takes place in the Yakuza universe but also kinda...doesn't? Aside from the clear Kiryu reference as Ono Michio, this game doesn't seem to make any references to anything from the games aside from a few known entities like Stardust and the Tojo Clan. In fact, even with the Tojo Clan, none of the prominent families are mentioned. The Matsugane family exists as this small time entity. They even opted to use the Kyorei Clan rather than the Omi Alliance. I'm sure I missed some other small wink and nod references but not as much as I would have expected.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
But that's why Judge Eyes works. Its not tying itself down with legacy characters that would drown out any other plot points by having them constantly mentioned/show up. They showed the everyday lives of more characters in Kamurocho, and basically showed that not everything is caused and fixed by Kiryu etc.
You have small guest stars like the Mama from Earth Angel/Atenshi that is the same one that features in previous games and if you look really closely at the magazines that some of the characters are reading you'll see that the magazine is the same one that shows up at the beginning of Yakuza 6 (the one with the expose on Haruka, its the same image of her and the orphans). Plus then you got Little Asia which is another nod to events that occurred in Yakuza 6.

I'm more interested to see how RGG7 references past Yakuza games outside of the guest stars personally, as that game has far more to cover compared to JE, especially with what has occurred between 6 and 7.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
But that's why Judge Eyes works. Its not tying itself down with legacy characters that would drown out any other plot points by having them constantly mentioned/show up. They showed the everyday lives of more characters in Kamurocho, and basically showed that not everything is caused and fixed by Kiryu etc.
You have small guest stars like the Mama from Earth Angel/Atenshi that is the same one that features in previous games and if you look really closely at the magazines that some of the characters are reading you'll see that the magazine is the same one that shows up at the beginning of Yakuza 6 (the one with the expose on Haruka, its the same image of her and the orphans). Plus then you got Little Asia which is another nod to events that occurred in Yakuza 6.

I'm more interested to see how RGG7 references past Yakuza games outside of the guest stars personally, as that game has far more to cover compared to JE, especially with what has occurred between 6 and 7.

I agree with you entirely for what its worth. I just found it weird that even the Yakuza ties themselves were completely sectioned off like having zero mention of any family other than the Matsugane family. I do definitely want more JE. I found the characters enjoyable and want more of their story.

I think RGG7 has to reference the older games more but we'll see. There's a lot more content to work with there.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you entirely for what its worth. I just found it weird that even the Yakuza ties themselves were completely sectioned off like having zero mention of any family other than the Matsugane family. I do definitely want more JE. I found the characters enjoyable and want more of their story.

I think RGG7 has to reference the older games more but we'll see. There's a lot more content to work with there.
I assume 7 will have to have closer ties just to explain what happened to Kamurocho (though that does depend on how much of he game takes place there). I look forward to it!

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Looking back, I despised Sagawa throughout the game. Kinda similar to how I felt about Kuze early on. But then I really started to think he was cool--especially with his no nonsense approach ("I'll kill anyone on sight") to things. Seeing how it ended for him after the cool exchange between him and Majima was bittersweet, but I can understand why they felt it was necessary for his story to end once he and Majima were ready to go their separate ways.

I tell you, I love the little things Yakuza does. Seeing the display of the boss's name, their title, and their insignia always gets me hyped. Another thing I really enjoy is seeing them remove their suit in such a swift motion when the fight is about to get serious. Reminds me of Piccolo from DBZ. Makes the battle feel that much more intense.

Gonna be playing Kiwami 2 in a few days. Ready to continue on this Yakuza adventure.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized RGG 4 remastered drops 2 weeks from tomorrow as well so that's awesome. I can just slide back in. I remember really liking the setup and structure of 4.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking back, I despised Sagawa throughout the game. Kinda similar to how I felt about Kuze early on. But then I really started to think he was cool--especially with his no nonsense approach ("I'll kill anyone on sight") to things. Seeing how it ended for him after the cool exchange between him and Majima was bittersweet, but I can understand why they felt it was necessary for his story to end once he and Majima were ready to go their separate ways.

I tell you, I love the little things Yakuza does. Seeing the display of the boss's name, their title, and their insignia always gets me hyped. Another thing I really enjoy is seeing them remove their suit in such a swift motion when the fight is about to get serious. Reminds me of Piccolo from DBZ. Makes the battle feel that much more intense.

Gonna be playing Kiwami 2 in a few days. Ready to continue on this Yakuza adventure.
Shirtless fights are the hypest shit ever. Each time one happens you will know that a badass fight is in progress.
I just realized RGG 4 remastered drops 2 weeks from tomorrow as well so that's awesome. I can just slide back in. I remember really liking the setup and structure of 4.
Very true.

I am thirsty for more Yakuza it is crazy. Years ago I had to take breaks but these days everytime I complete a Yakuza game I start feeling thirsty for more. It also helps the game drops on a Friday so it will be perfect.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'll get 4 downloaded but won't actually play it for a while. I 100%ed that game earlier in the year and I don't really have anything I want to check, unlike 3 which I wanted to see all the restored content, I know 4 will basically be flawless. I'll probably watch the intro just to hear the superior non Butterfly City intro music, because as much as I prefer the Japanese songs 99% of the time, 4's song was bloody awful in Japan. Replacing it with a Four Faith remix was so much better.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I would be jumping into 4 straight away had the Nioh beta not been starting on 1st Nov.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I still think about Yakuza 0 pretty much daily. I need to continue this series already. I know it's for the best to space things out, but it's getting hard.

I mean, Kiwami means EXTREME, how could I not want that?

And Kiwami 2 means EXTREME too.

Oct 27, 2017
I still think about Yakuza 0 pretty much daily. I need to continue this series already. I know it's for the best to space things out, but it's getting hard.

I mean, Kiwami means EXTREME, how could I not want that?

And Kiwami 2 means EXTREME too.

I went out and bought (and then played) Kiwami almost immediately after seeing the credits roll; I don't regret it for a second lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Main thing stopping me is that I want to continue playing the series on PC, because of the mods that restore the original songs, so I need to fix my PC first. But the PS4 version is getting more and more tempting.
Eh, if that's your reason I'd wait. That's a good move putting the music back in the games, it'd get me buying the PC releases of 3-5 if they add the cut music in them. Well, 3 and 5 that is, I can't really say I'll miss Butterfly City from Yakuza 4.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, if that's your reason I'd wait. That's a good move putting the music back in the games, it'd get me buying the PC releases of 3-5 if they add the cut music in them. Well, 3 and 5 that is, I can't really say I'll miss Butterfly City from Yakuza 4.
Instantly regretted my purchase of 0 the moment I saw there was a mod to restore Bubble on PC. TT_TT

Though, to be fair, I bought it before it was announced on PC, just took a long time to actually start playing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its not even the intro songs that I'd miss in 5. There's actually more vocal songs in cutscenes I remember, I assume they were all cut from the English release, it adds so much to the scenes. Oh, and that one Shinada boss fight that gets a much nicer theme in Japan. Bah! Likewise 6 is the same with its superior Japanese soundtrack. 3 also has one song in one pivotal scene in chapter 11 that was changed for the English release as far as I'm aware, but on the bright? side that scene is still damn powerful regardless the music used.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I guess transitioning to PC really is the right move, then, if you care about that stuff.

Thankfully I have a lot to play with Kiwami and 2 while I wait for the remasters, but if I ever catch up to the series, it'll get harder to wait for the ports.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I guess transitioning to PC really is the right move, then, if you care about that stuff.

Thankfully I have a lot to play with Kiwami and 2 while I wait for the remasters, but if I ever catch up to the series, it'll get harder to wait for the ports.

I'd also recommend playing Kiwami with the mod to restore the original PS2 soundtrack.

Although I've only played the series through PC as well, and I do agree that it's annoying having to wait a decade for the ports to make it over.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also recommend playing Kiwami with the mod to restore the original PS2 soundtrack.

Although I've only played the series through PC as well, and I do agree that it's annoying having to wait a decade for the ports to make it over.
I didn't know that was a thing! Do people generally agree that the original soundtracks are better? Is this also true for Kiwami 2?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that was a thing! Do people generally agree that the original soundtracks are better? Is this also true for Kiwami 2?

For me at least, while the Kiwami tracks largely aren't bad arrangements, they fumbled two really critical pieces - the regular battle theme and the final boss track. I'm really glad my first experience with the game was with the original version of the latter track in particular.

I don't think there is a mod for the full PS2 soundtrack in Kiwami 2, but there is a mod to integrate the licensed music from the original game not used in Kiwami 2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I loved the Kiwami version of the final boss theme, much like Kiwami 2, I'd say that's one of the best themes in the games, while other remixes aren't quite so great. Oh well, either way, you have options to enjoy either soundtrack :)

Now, not seen how Kiwami 2's PC mod works exactly - as the issue with 2's soundtrack is more (in my opinion) with what wasn't included, not what was remixed. As quite a few boss and fight themes were just completely cut (or replaced) in Kiwami 2. Now, some themes (like one halfway through the game, and the penultimate boss) I really like, while others (like Amon) are vastly better than what 2 had. But at the same time you have some which are just using the normal boss theme instead of a special song (Hayashi). And then you have the cutscene music swaps from Crazy Ken Band to SiM which is a real marmite change at best (I don't think the songs fit the cutscenes in Kiwami 2 as good as 2, but one SiM song is put to good use in the final bouncer mission).

But Kiwami 1 and 2 are very much exceptions as those are remakes that redid loads from the original games, while 3-5 are just remasters, so mods/changes to music especially should be fairly limited to just the very small number of changes made to localisation.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
More details on the side stories and bond details for Sega's new Persona 5 Royal Yakuza 7:

Go see certain movies, play certain playspots, eat certain food etc. with your friends and your bonds will increase accordingly. Looks like after a certain point this will open up new side stories for the characters much like other RPGs (I remember KotoR doing this really well).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on what the stream is about? I thought the fortnightly streams aree usually Tuesday's (or was it Thursday?). Oh well, either way I definitely want to see what they have to show off!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, I'll tune in either way, I've been hungering for more Yakuza for weeks now. If it weren't for 7 being out soon, I'd be replaying Kenzan soon.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I googled places for lunch and found this ramen restaurant. The name of this restaurant is 龍が如し/Ryu Ga Gotoshi. The meaning of it is pretty much the same as 龍が如く/Ryu Ga Gotoku. But 龍が如し is a proper way to say like a dragon grammatically.

What is awesome with this restaurant is bikes are stored in front of the restaurant apparently for Kiryu lol
jkfb3SM.gif

I wonder how many RGG fans visit this ramen restaurant for its name.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'll be in Japan next month. Not sure if I will make it to Saitama, but if I do I'd definitely try their ramen. :D
My hotel is like 20 minutes away from Kabukicho. Looking forward to see how many things I'll be recognizing, hehe.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally finished Kiwami 2 more or less. I'm determining if I want to try for 100% completion or not, right now I hve like 3 Amon Substories left, Mahjong, and about half the bouncer and colosseum left. Trying to figure out what to do next.

- I have never played Yakuza 3-6
- I own Yakuza 6 unopened
- I have a preorder for the physical edition of 3-5 Remaster
- I have Fist of the North Star and haven't touched it
- I do not own Judgement yet

Obviously the next logical step is to play Yakuza 3, but I already have the physical preordered and it would be a real shame to cave and buy the digital for 3. On the other hand I own 6 and could just play it now, but I've already come this far and the opportunity to actually play them sequentially is actually very real now.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
I googled places for lunch and found this ramen restaurant. The name of this restaurant is 龍が如し/Ryu Ga Gotoshi. The meaning of it is pretty much the same as 龍が如く/Ryu Ga Gotoku. But 龍が如し is a proper way to say like a dragon grammatically.

What is awesome with this restaurant is bikes are stored in front of the restaurant apparently for Kiryu lol
jkfb3SM.gif

I wonder how many RGG fans visit this ramen restaurant for its name.
I see no relationship besides the name, so... coincidence, or do the menu items reference the games somehow?

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
So I finally finished Kiwami 2 more or less. I'm determining if I want to try for 100% completion or not, right now I hve like 3 Amon Substories left, Mahjong, and about half the bouncer and colosseum left. Trying to figure out what to do next.

- I have never played Yakuza 3-6
- I own Yakuza 6 unopened
- I have a preorder for the physical edition of 3-5 Remaster
- I have Fist of the North Star and haven't touched it
- I do not own Judgement yet

Obviously the next logical step is to play Yakuza 3, but I already have the physical preordered and it would be a real shame to cave and buy the digital for 3. On the other hand I own 6 and could just play it now, but I've already come this far and the opportunity to actually play them sequentially is actually very real now.

Play Fist of the North Star and Judgement and wait for Yakuza 3-5.