• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I googled places for lunch and found this ramen restaurant. The name of this restaurant is 龍が如し/Ryu Ga Gotoshi. The meaning of it is pretty much the same as 龍が如く/Ryu Ga Gotoku. But 龍が如し is a proper way to say like a dragon grammatically.

What is awesome with this restaurant is bikes are stored in front of the restaurant apparently for Kiryu lol
jkfb3SM.gif

I wonder how many RGG fans visit this ramen restaurant for its name.
Ah the RGG5 bike heat move. In a game that has so many awesome heat moves, this one might well still be the most hilarious of all, especially if your using Saejima. I don't know why but seeing that huge guy using a pedal bike before slamming it down on a poor goon cracks me up every time.

Speaking of RGG5 heat moves, I really wish the mobile phone backup heat move would have been retained for other RGG games. Its such a great step forward for battles and totally makes sense but its only used once. Strange :(

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hmm, I'll be in Japan next month. Not sure if I will make it to Saitama, but if I do I'd definitely try their ramen. :D
My hotel is like 20 minutes away from Kabukicho. Looking forward to see how many things I'll be recognizing, hehe.
I don't think it's worth to visit the area (Souka in Saitama).

I see no relationship besides the name, so... coincidence, or do the menu items reference the games somehow?
As far as I know, It's not related to the game at all. It's just named that way.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I haven't posted in this thread in quite some time but I wanted to pop in and say that I ordered Yakuza Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 since I had a bunch of $10 off eBay codes I got at NY Comic Con a few weeks ago. I probably won't play through them back to back to prevent series fatigue. But I look forward to revisiting both games in HD after playing them on PS2.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I wonder if the Yakuza Collection will be limited; currently thinking of pre ordering it.

But I'm looking for Yakuza Kiwami 2 as well, but Europe only seems to have the steelbook version. Its still € 50.

And I have 6 staring at me, but I won't play it yet. Nope. Gonna resist.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed the physical release would be a limited thing, but who really knows with releases these days. I preordered just so I could get the PS3 case for Yakuza 5 (and because it was cheap).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Flicking through that vid you see "?" on the map, so they've added side story markers on the map like with 3's remaster (and again, this wasn't like this in the Japanese version). So that's a nice inclusion. I'm too lazy to compare text between the original and that vid to see if its been retranslated though, I'll let someone else deal with that!

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Flicking through that vid you see "?" on the map, so they've added side story markers on the map like with 3's remaster (and again, this wasn't like this in the Japanese version). So that's a nice inclusion. I'm too lazy to compare text between the original and that vid to see if its been retranslated though, I'll let someone else deal with that!

Certainly nice to see. Only completed 5~ sub stories during my first taste of the series solely because of that.

I guess they weren't an issue for Asian audiences.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly nice to see. Only completed 5~ sub stories during my first taste of the series solely because of that.

I guess they weren't an issue for Asian audiences.
I actually wish we did get the markers for 3 and 4 in the import copies, would have saved me checking a guide constantly in 3. Oh well, means my replays on 3 and 4 can be more relaxed next time (especially 3).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that.
Yeah, I just saw it on Gematsu today, I honestly forgot the stream for Online was today and just assumed that it was always Tuesday! Sounds like it'll be a gameplay stream as well so I wonder what they'll be showing off? Hopefully more classes, combination attacks between team mates and maybe more mini games (assuming there's more to be announced)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
While Yakuza 4 isn't my favourite of the games, I have been thinking about it a lot with the English remaster coming this week. One thing for sure is that it has some absolutely fantastic moments in the boss battles - dynamic intros, music, QTEs etc.
My favourite being Tanimura's end chapter boss fight against
Suguichi which involves the badass handcuffs QTE at the beginning. Easily one of my favourite moments in the entire series.
Majima's fight against Saejima rocks, 3/4 of the end boss chapter rocks, Saejima Vs Kiryu, Kiryu Vs Tanimura AND Akiyama... yeah, many fantastic moments here.

And plot wise, Saejima steals the show - his hit at the beginning of the chapter rocks, and his whole speech in the arena and subsequent reuniting with his boss right after are really powerful moments.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, Yakuza 4 now downloadable in the UK. Downloading it now :)
Looks like the game has completely retranslated alongside adding the side story markers on the map. One line that's probably going to have people crying censorship is the fact that, while the Japanese dialogue remains unchanged, the line about Hana fearful of getting raped (with Akiyama laughing off the notion) is now slightly changed so that its more inferred that Hana's concerned about either being raped, or getting beaten up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Yakuza 3 today... not because I'm replaying it, but because reddit and other places keep going on about certain mini games being "broken" in the remaster, bowling especially. First game... 207. Yeah, I still got it! But seriously, apparently the method to get a strike in the remaster is harder than it was originally, yet I honestly can't notice a difference. On the bright side for anyone that cares, its even easier in Yakuza 4's remaster, strikes are actually far too easy to get in that game in my opinion.

Anyway, here's the awesome Japanese boxart for RGG7:
5xn2o6trchv31.jpg

Just when I considered getting the game digitally... nope!

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I finally watched the whole gameplay of the last night's streaming and found Etsuko is on the karaoke ranking (the second place, Sodachi is on top). She keeps enjoying karaoke in 2019/2020!!
T7StfWy.png

Also, it seems the leader of Korean mafia in RGG6 will join Ichi's party. How did he come back from this state!?
Rm6G71v.png

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I was playing Yakuza 3 today... not because I'm replaying it, but because reddit and other places keep going on about certain mini games being "broken" in the remaster, bowling especially. First game... 207. Yeah, I still got it! But seriously, apparently the method to get a strike in the remaster is harder than it was originally, yet I honestly can't notice a difference. On the bright side for anyone that cares, its even easier in Yakuza 4's remaster, strikes are actually far too easy to get in that game in my opinion.

Anyway, here's the awesome Japanese boxart for RGG7:
5xn2o6trchv31.jpg

Just when I considered getting the game digitally... nope!
Love the balanced composition & red color theme.

This might be the best Japanese Yakuza cover, in my opinion.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt we'll be seeing pocket sand :( I was watching KOTH last week and saw that clip, cracks me up every time.

I finally watched the whole gameplay of the last night's streaming and found Etsuko is on the karaoke ranking (the second place, Sodachi is on top). She keeps enjoying karaoke in 2019/2020!!
T7StfWy.png

Also, it seems the leader of Korean mafia in RGG6 will join Ichi's party. How did he come back from this state!?
Rm6G71v.png
The spoiler bit - yeah I really want to know just how the heck they'll explain that.

As for the Karaoke thing, awesome little nod to previous games!
Love the balanced composition & red color theme.

This might be the best Japanese Yakuza cover, in my opinion.
Yeah, its definitely one of my favourites that I've seen (I'm a big fan of 4 and 5's as well).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
T7StfWy.png

Rm6G71v.png

Twin brother or.... rubber bullets... heh. Yeah, I have no idea how they're going to explain that, if he's really the same person that is.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Just for kicks, since Y4 is my favorite, I went and found videos of the original and new translation.

Old:

New:

The new one is more accurate, but... I kind of prefer the old one? It seems less slavishly faithful by not using the honorifics.

New one does have more personality, though. (I didn't see the 'Part 1: Shun Akiyama' in the new one...)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The "Part 1" bit is still in there, I remember seeing it yesterday. I also prefer to have honorifics in my translations, so the new one is more up my street. I still half wonder why they change Hana/Akiyama's rape line though, I get its probably in bad taste (though Akiyama wasn't being subtle but rather a real dick) but when you have the Japanese dialogue quite clearly saying rape, dancing around the dialogue just feels oddly out of character for how on point translations have been lately.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
I find honorifics to have no place in English (or any other language, really). Same for random Japanese words such as aniki left untranslated.
They reek of the anime fandom claiming you cannot express the same meaning as the profound Japanese words in any inferior languages, when you actually can by constructing well crafted dialogue. Well, for the most part. But is any subtle shade lost in translation worth the tradeoff? I honestly doubt it.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I find honorifics to have no place in English (or any other language, really). Same for random Japanese words such as aniki left untranslated.
They reek of the anime fandom claiming you cannot express the same meaning as the profound Japanese words in any inferior languages, when you actually can by constructing well crafted dialogue. Well, for the most part. But is any subtle shade lost in translation worth the tradeoff? I honestly doubt it.
Exactly. I thought using "Mr. A" worked far better than saying Akiyama-san all the time.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Hi folks!! I don't normally go to the hangouts section of this website very much (though I should!) but I just wanted to remind my fellow Yakuza fans to make sure they fill out their player surveys! You can find links to these surveys on your PS4 by highlighting the game's icon and pressing down. There's a new one for 4's release so make sure you take the 5 mins to let Sega know how you're finding it!

(before anyone asks, I am not a Sega employee, just a Yakuza fan who wants to remind his fellow fans how they can tell Sega that maybe Ishin would be cool to have)

(be nice about it though)

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Exactly. I thought using "Mr. A" worked far better than saying Akiyama-san all the time.
Also, in these games, it's -san about 90% of the time. No reason to tie the flair to honorifics alone.

Hi folks!! I don't normally go to the hangouts section of this website very much (though I should!) but I just wanted to remind my fellow Yakuza fans to make sure they fill out their player surveys! You can find links to these surveys on your PS4 by highlighting the game's icon and pressing down. There's a new one for 4's release so make sure you take the 5 mins to let Sega know how you're finding it!

(before anyone asks, I am not a Sega employee, just a Yakuza fan who wants to remind his fellow fans how they can tell Sega that maybe Ishin would be cool to have)

(be nice about it though)
Nice, one more chance to remind them of Ishin once again

and to port beg a Switch version of the games, so I have an excuse to quadruple dip on Yakuza 0.

If the game takes place in Japan I want honorifics left in localizations.
To be honest, I turn a blind eye when the setting is Japan and the characters speaking are Japanese. I stop noticing it quickly.
But it always seems off to me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If the game takes place in Japan I want honorifics left in localizations.
Ditto. I appreciate the effort the localisation team has put into these games from 0 and up. Its been such a massive improvement on the quality of the games, so much better than the quality in the PS3 generation (and the less said about the PS2 gen localisations the better, but hey at least we got the games translated I guess!)
Its just nice to experience "better" versions of the games - with almost no cut content (which is huge for Yakuza 3, pity the songs can't be brought across but that's licensing for you!), more accurate translations (including reversing some of the silly changes that Yakuza 1 and 3 introduced like Kazama's name change and the orphanage name change) and some cool QoL improvements like higher frame rates and resolutions, side story finders on the map, English Karaoke Lyrics etc.

Now if only we could have gotten the PS2 versions of 1 and 2 brought over to the PS4 again (along with the other missing Yakuza games) to have a full set on one system.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honorifics are a case by case situation for me these days, I'm not entirely fond of them being used in English translations, but sometimes they can work or there is no other way of getting around them in certain situations. I'm not entirely onboard with untranslated words either, it feels weird and brings back terrible memories of watching tokusatsu with Tv-Nihon subtitles:

C7t5R4uUwAAZw65.jpg

C7t5QbDUwAAEBUH.jpg

C7t5RH3UwAAkE4N.jpg

I get there is no equivilant at times and you just have to go that route, but other times it feels a bit on the lazy or weeb side...HOWEVER, in fairness to SEGAtlus, besides the fact that we're getting more localized content now thanks to them (I really do appreciate them doing it), the overall quality is better save anchronisms in zero and memes being used in general...and I should state that neither professional translations of the series has ever been as bad as the fan translations used above (it's again, bad memories of that bs). Moreover, the cleaned up dialogue and removal of some previous problematic translation (seeing Akiyama and Michiru) is a also a plus towards the new localization.

Neither side is entriely perfect and while I enjoy the flair that the originals tried, if I have to take chans/anikis/memes with my Yakuza games to ensure they get localized these days (and higher quality of localization at that--translated chapter/introduction texts for crying out loud!)...small price to pay honestly, I just wanted to air out my issues.

just rein in the memes a bit.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Honorifics are a case by case situation for me these days, I'm not entirely fond of them being used in English translations, but sometimes they can work or there is no other way of getting around them in certain situations. I'm not entirely onboard with untranslated words either, it feels weird and brings back terrible memories of watching tokusatsu with Tv-Nihon subtitles:

C7t5R4uUwAAZw65.jpg

C7t5QbDUwAAEBUH.jpg

C7t5RH3UwAAkE4N.jpg

I get there is no equivilant at times and you just have to go that route, but other times it feels a bit on the lazy or weeb side...HOWEVER, in fairness to SEGAtlus, besides the fact that we're getting more localized content now thanks to them (I really do appreciate them doing it), the overall quality is better save anchronisms in zero and memes being used in general...and I should state that neither professional translations of the series has ever been as bad as the fan translations used above (it's again, bad memories of that bs). Moreover, the cleaned up dialogue and removal of some previous problematic translation (seeing Akiyama and Michiru) is a also a plus towards the new localization.

Neither side is entriely perfect and while I enjoy the flair that the originals tried, if I have to take chans/anikis/memes with my Yakuza games to ensure they get localized these days (and higher quality of localization at that--translated chapter/introduction texts for crying out loud!)...small price to pay honestly, I just wanted to air out my issues.

just rein in the memes a bit.
Fantastic post, sums up my feelings in a way better way.

2HRR.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, new Yakuza 7 character details translated from Weekly Famitsu. Heads up though, spoilers for both Yakuza 7 (duh!) and Yakuza 6:

So aside from the obvious question me and Gachapin already talked about above, there's also a couple more questions I have...
So these details show that you
will be meeting not only the Ijincho clans in the main story, but also meeting Omi top brass AND Arakawa's guys post prison time. So... that's a heck of a lot of parties in the story. Now I wonder just where you run into the Omi characters - returning to Kamurocho seems likely for Arakawa's guys, but for the Omi heads? It could be either Kamuro or Ijincho, or even Sotenbori.

Also, I didn't seem to see mentioned who is top dog of the Omi now. I hope its Watase myself (with Hayashi as his right hand) but who knows where the team will take that plot point from 5

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I really get the idea it could be the biggest game in the series. I mean, 5 was already huge but just going by the possibilities in the story it could be absolutely enormous. And that makes me super excited!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and some more details via Famitsu:

So at the moment there are demo events going on in Japan (oh how I wish I was there) and reading some of the impressions from Discord etc. is promising. A demo version (as in a downloadable demo) is mentioned a ways down the page as "coming soon" but no word on when it'll be. Worst case scenario is a week or two before Japanese launch as with almost all previous games.