• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently you can speed combat up in some way by holding down "X"? Read it on Discord, apparently its even more auto than auto made, and just speeds through fights super quick. Not tried it myself though. But I'd hope they have speed and difficulty etc. options for the game or at least via DLC patches at some point.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
January= Yakuza 7 in Japan.
February= Yakuza Remastered collection in the West
Summer? = Yakuza 7 in the West.

It'd be nice to see some more PC ports in 2020, it's been 6 months since Kiwami 2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I assume the remasters and 6 will hit PC next year. 6 was rumored last year, not like they don't already have the engine running on PC either. Remasters will be no problem either. Anything else is up in the air.

Question is, looking forward to TGS 2020, makes me wonder what RGGS will be showing (they always show something each TGS).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It also depends on when Project Sakura Wars finally releases in the West, can't imagine unlike Japan, SEGA would want both releases within relative proximity in the US/EU territories.

But then again, we had string games last year within a few weeks of each other.
I keep forgetting that's coming out as well. Also, don't underestimate Sega's bad planning when it comes to release dates, they've got an amazing track record with Yakuza over here, I'd almost expect it to launch at the end of May alongside TLOU2!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that Yakuza 6 came out close to God of War 4.

It scared me so much when it was announced to come out at that time. Thank god they overcame it.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting that's coming out as well. Also, don't underestimate Sega's bad planning when it comes to release dates, they've got an amazing track record with Yakuza over here, I'd almost expect it to launch at the end of May alongside TLOU2!
I mean I just mentioned last year when the Shenmue HD games dropped late August, Kiwami 2 dropped a week later, VC4 3 weeks later and Lost Paradise about a week or so after...all of this around the time PS4 Spider-Man was coming early September and clean house. It was murder on my wallet and I really got burned out near the end.

SEGA making poor release date choices comes with the territory at this point.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my FUCK is Hamura such a great antagonist. Not since Kuze have I loved to hate and hate to love a "villain".

The late-game moments that humanize and add a layer of complexity to him was such an awesome decision.

What a fantastic character.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I just mentioned last year when the Shenmue HD games dropped late August, Kiwami 2 dropped a week later, VC4 3 weeks later and Lost Paradise about a week or so after...all of this around the time PS4 Spider-Man was coming early September and clean house. It was murder on my wallet and I really got burned out near the end.

SEGA making poor release date choices comes with the territory at this point.
Could be worse. At least people knew what Yakuza was last year. Remember when Yakuza 3, butchered as it was launched with Final Fantasy XIII? Or Yakuza 4 launched with God of War 3? Heck, 0 was lucky to be a breakout hit as that launched around a Kingdom Hearts collection and Resident Evil 7, and just shortly before Horizon Zero Dawn!

Oh my FUCK is Hamura such a great antagonist. Not since Kuze have I loved to hate and hate to love a "villain".

The late-game moments that humanize and add a layer of complexity to him was such an awesome decision.

What a fantastic character.
Pity they had to redo his model and voice acting because of the coke scandal, OG Hamura was my favourite thing about Judge Eyes, he was amazing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

English translation of the newest trailer. Must have rewatched the thing several times now... really can't wait to get my hands on this game in January!

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
In the story trailer, Ichi found himself in a dumpster in Yokohama without knowing where he is and then the story leads to the demo (chapter 4). And it seems the first battle of the demo is the first time for Ichi to see enemies' transforming. It's kinda absurd idea for a video game's story but my speculation is RGG7 is a story that is happening in Ichi's head when he is in coma.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
In the story trailer, Ichi found himself in a dumpster in Yokohama without knowing where he is and then the story leads to the demo (chapter 4). And it seems the first battle of the demo is the first time for Ichi to see enemies' transforming. It's kinda absurd idea for a video game's story but my speculation is RGG7 is a story that is happening in Ichi's head when he is in coma.
I actually think this might be the case. Its mad, but it'd actually make sense and explain a lot of the weird stuff, why certain characters are back etc. Plus if he makes a miraculous recovery the next game can take the same characters and make it a brawler game!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it would be a twist you see coming from like miles away, but still a pretty fun one regardless. The demo straight up says that Ichiban is delusional, so all the transformations are just in his head. And as shadowman16 said: It's a great way to make the game a RPG with a turn-based system and perhaps return to the classic brawler style with the next game in case he recovers.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Ichiban is dead and Dragon Quest is the Yakuza universe's purgatory. Depending on how his soul is weighed, at the end of the game he will ascend to heaven (Space Channel 5) or descend to hell (Seaman).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
End the game on a "who shot Mr Burns" style cliffhangar that is resolved in a hilarious way at the beginning of Yakuza 8 because why not.

Nov 6, 2017
It bothers me no end that they have Hello Work on the wrong side of Kannai Station (should be on the very top side of the map, the half that is locked in the demo) and also the inside of the place is all wrong (had to sign on there every week for ~6 months 9 years ago before they banned foreign citizens from claiming unemployment insurance)

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, what's the best way to grind for SP in Judgement? I just started chapter 12 and I know I'm nearing the end but I still have like a dozen or more skills to unlock. Part of me just wants to go ahead and finish but I really want to unlock the last levels in attack power and health.

SP handouts are quite meagre and that's been...aggravating to say the least. But still maybe a nice change of pace from having an OP char walk around town swatting thugs like flies. I don't know if that'd suit Yagami much.

I just need like, 25,000 SP. LOL

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, what's the best way to grind for SP in Judgement? I just started chapter 12 and I know I'm nearing the end but I still have like a dozen or more skills to unlock. Part of me just wants to go ahead and finish but I really want to unlock the last levels in attack power and health.

SP handouts are quite meagre and that's been...aggravating to say the least. But still maybe a nice change of pace from having an OP char walk around town swatting thugs like flies. I don't know if that'd suit Yagami much.

I just need like, 25,000 SP. LOL

Either grind the VR mini-game or do the blackjack trick to buy(crowd-fund) those SP drinks, check out Jimmyqballs' video on youtube:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, SP drinks are the way to go and Jimmy outlines the best two ways to get money in the game. Plus its handy for grinding out the rest of the money requirements for the games CP list/trophies.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I actually think this might be the case. Its mad, but it'd actually make sense and explain a lot of the weird stuff, why certain characters are back etc. Plus if he makes a miraculous recovery the next game can take the same characters and make it a brawler game!
Exactly!!
I also like the idea that Kiryu is there to teach the ability to do a brawler battle to Ichi for the final battle. Even someone who likes the turn based battle might get tired of it by the time they reach Kiryu. So the ability must be the "treasure" ;p

I mean I can't imagine a good boss battle with this turn based system

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly!!
I also like the idea that Kiryu is there to teach the ability to do a brawler battle to Ichi for the final battle. Even someone who likes the turn based battle might get tired of it by the time they reach Kiryu. So the ability must be the "treasure" ;p

I mean I can't imagine a good boss battle with this turn based system
I can't imagine how the bosses will work either. I like how the combat works in the demo so I'm more optimistic than anything, but still can't imagine it. Persona 5 is the only turn based game in recent memory that tried to add a few more mechanics to a boss fight to make it feel less static but I don't know...

As for the treasure, I'd laugh my ass off if Kiryu does give Ichiban a hidden mode that's basically a action version of the game. That'd be mind blowing actually...

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine how the bosses will work either. I like how the combat works in the demo so I'm more optimistic than anything, but still can't imagine it. Persona 5 is the only turn based game in recent memory that tried to add a few more mechanics to a boss fight to make it feel less static but I don't know...

As for the treasure, I'd laugh my ass off if Kiryu does give Ichiban a hidden mode that's basically a action version of the game. That'd be mind blowing actually...

Hot damn! I would love to see this as an unlock. That would most definitely be mind-blowing.

Hard to tell how the bosses will turn out to be honest. I do hope they have some mechanics up their sleeves rather than just going the standard "that guy has a lot of health and hits like a truck." That being said: Just guarding isn't as easy as I thought it might be, especially when enemies hit you with combos. So, that will add something to the boss fights for sure.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Preorder bonus dlc & items list of each retailer
(images of items are not available yet on some retailers and probably you won't get anything on ps store)

004.jpg
005.jpg

006.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn. I usually get from my games from Amazon (and hey that gives me 0 Kiryu) but at the same time, that Karou outfit... Ah well, they'll be available to purchase/get in game somehow either way I'd imagine? Maybe just quicker access via pre order?

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yay, Kaoru's suit, it's something at least, hahaha.

Edit: should I start pestering Sam and Scott to include these all in one go here? though like Kiwami 2, I fear they'll make some digital pre-order bonuses.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yay, Kaoru's suit, it's something at least, hahaha.

Edit: should I start pestering Sam and Scott to include these all in one go here? though like Kiwami 2, I fear they'll make some digital pre-order bonuses.
We might get them as freebies, though Judge Eyes to Judgment DLC was identical (drone parts etc.) so I could see the same happening again. Though somewhat "luckily" as Yakuza isn't as popular outside of Japan probably means the costumes won't be separated out to different retailers. Maybe. Maybe not. I need the costumes... dammit Sega.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's not revealed yet, but I'm surprised they didn't also reuse Yayoi's or Makoto's costumes for Saeko, probably easy to repurpose whereas I gather Haruka's idol costume had to be remade from scratch (unless I'm remembering 6 incorrectly).

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are those skins new combat styles or just cosmetic?

Anyway, the bosses will be interesting. It would be great if they made the bosses (especially Kiryu's boss fight) a brawler. Those that played Dead Souls might remember but that game had a verybare bones brawling combat system in one section so it would be great if they made another one for this game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are those skins new combat styles or just cosmetic?

Anyway, the bosses will be interesting. It would be great if they made the bosses (especially Kiryu's boss fight) a brawler. Those that played Dead Souls might remember but that game had a verybare bones brawling combat system in one section so it would be great if they made another one for this game.
Cosmetic outfits, not fighting styles. Though that would be hilarious.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cosmetic outfits, not fighting styles. Though that would be hilarious.
Yeah that's probably what it is.

I thought at the start that maybe they reused the animations from Saejima, Kiryu etc to make new styles but Daigo and Kaoru and Haruka idol being here makes it hard. I don't think the first two and Date have a very unique style to make a difference.

Unless they pull a streets of rage and make Kaoru and Date's moves about them calling cops to kill enemies like the first Streets of Rage.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's probably what it is.

I thought at the start that maybe they reused the animations from Saejima, Kiryu etc to make new styles but Daigo and Kaoru and Haruka idol being here makes it hard. I don't think the first two and Date have a very unique style to make a difference.

Unless they pull a streets of rage and make Kaoru and Date's moves about them calling cops to kill enemies like the first Streets of Rage.
Karou was a competent fighter in 2 but not sure if she really had any unique moves. Date did... in so much that he's a rather slow and lousy fighter (ah that one mission in Kiwami where you play as him...)

For all cop needs we have Adachi anyway, both his default style and riot cop gear style are badass. Definitely the strongest of the four initially from the looks of it, his Kiwami moves also do great damage to several characters (his charge and swing especially). Can't wait to see what other styles he gets.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Karou was a competent fighter in 2 but not sure if she really had any unique moves. Date did... in so much that he's a rather slow and lousy fighter (ah that one mission in Kiwami where you play as him...)

For all cop needs we have Adachi anyway, both his default style and riot cop gear style are badass. Definitely the strongest of the four initially from the looks of it, his Kiwami moves also do great damage to several characters (his charge and swing especially). Can't wait to see what other styles he gets.
Wait, you play as Date in Kiwami? I must have missed this.

And yeah Adachi was really satisfying to use. He reminds me the most of Saejima and I am a big fan of the "tank" like characters so he felt amazing. It will be interesting to learn more about him as I can tell he will be a great character from the first moment I saw him (well all of them really).

It is similiar to Kaito from Judgment, you can just tell that they are going to be great feom the moment you see them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you play as Date in Kiwami? I must have missed this.

And yeah Adachi was really satisfying to use. He reminds me the most of Saejima and I am a big fan of the "tank" like characters so he felt amazing. It will be interesting to learn more about him as I can tell he will be a great character from the first moment I saw him (well all of them really).

It is similiar to Kaito from Judgment, you can just tell that they are going to be great feom the moment you see them.
Adachi has an axe to grind with Arakawa, so you just know he's gonna be a very important ally in the game. I already like the main four characters and can't wait to meet more team mates.

As for Date, its in the Ultimate Climax mission mode - one mission has you playing as Date. Its like in past games where you get to play as different characters in the mission mode - like "Majima" and "Kiryu in just a thong" in Kenzan!

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adachi has an axe to grind with Arakawa, so you just know he's gonna be a very important ally in the game. I already like the main four characters and can't wait to meet more team mates.

As for Date, its in the Ultimate Climax mission mode - one mission has you playing as Date. Its like in past games where you get to play as different characters in the mission mode - like "Majima" and "Kiryu in just a thong" in Kenzan!
Well I will be damned. I never played those mission modes much.

Going to have to check it out later today!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well I will be damned. I never played those mission modes much.

Going to have to check it out later today!
Mission modes for each game (that has them) are well worth playing, some challenges aren't amazing, some are just a laugh to play. Its a nice way to top off the game by replaying remixed scenarios with various builds of characters.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
RGG Online is rebooting at some point with a new Ryuuji story based before the events of RGG2, but in the mean time they have had a really cool event that takes place between Yakuza 0 and 1 focusing on Third Chairman Sera, and everyones favourite Yakuza character - Jingu (lol):

It goes a cool job of fleshing Sera out, alongside parts of Yakuza 1 and 4's plots. Gotta say, I'm really liking the flashback plots they've put into RGG Online lately, the Mine one was really good as well.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm torn. I usually get from my games from Amazon (and hey that gives me 0 Kiryu) but at the same time, that Karou outfit... Ah well, they'll be available to purchase/get in game somehow either way I'd imagine? Maybe just quicker access via pre order?
No not. They are first come first serve bonus and no plan to release them.
DLC(ダウンロードコンテンツ)の特別衣装は一般配信の予定はなく、先着購入限定の特典です。

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Started playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 yesterday and kept on playing non-stop till I reached Chapter 4. Have already collected 38/50 Sotenbori locker keys and must have finished close to half a dozen side stories. The arrogance with which the street thugs/yakuza approach Kiryu and get their a** handed over next minute...it never gets old. This is my 3rd Yakuza game and everytime when I pick up the next game in the series and have spent few hours playing, I'm like - "This is awesome. I am definetely going to 100% this one"....but then get burn out by the time my completion rate reaches around 40-45%.(Have always finished the main story though). So, I take a good 6-8 months gap in between games and then Kamurocho streets feel like coming back home during semester break :) Not sure why I missed this series earlier as I always find these games such a joy to play. I absolutely despise Ubisoft's cookie-cutter open world games but somehow get obsessed(again and again) doing mundane things in Yakuza games...eat at every restaurant, kill 100/200/500 enemies using a/b/c style, collect x no of cards, y no of keys, z no of weapons etc. I guess I can call them my guilty pleasure games :) With 7 more games(including Judgement and FoTNS) yet to play, I am set for the next 3-4 years :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Your wise to play them slowly, better experience that way. I try to space the games out as much as my patience allows (I end up caving in and starting a Yakuza game every few months or so). Thankfully with 7 coming in January I can persuade myself to not replay Kenzan yet and just wait for that instead.

As for 100%ing the games... its a pretty big task for pretty much any game in the series, demands you learn certain mini game rules and do lots of different things in each game. Oh, and sometimes grind, some games are better than others in that regard though. I've 100%ed almost all of the series now, with just a couple left to replay for that honor, and something like Yakuza 5 I love 100%ing because while its obscenely long to complete, its a fantastic ride because it doesn't really feel like grinding, rather just doing everything the game has to offer, which I love. Contrast that with a game like Ishin which has some bloody boring requirements (talk to each pet type 500 times... yay...)
That said, even the most grindy game in the series to 100% is a more varied/fun 100% than something like Far Cry 4 - mechanically an excellent game but FC4 (for example) has a problem with repeating mission types for each new area, it doesn't vary very much later in the game, you'll basically be doing the same thing as you were back in the first couple of hours, only with better gear. Yakuza drip feeds activities and side stories and just lets you play at your own pace. Its wonderful.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mission modes for each game (that has them) are well worth playing, some challenges aren't amazing, some are just a laugh to play. Its a nice way to top off the game by replaying remixed scenarios with various builds of characters.
Sounds great!

Just when I think there isn't something more that I could find, the series proves me wrong.

It is my favourite series for a very good reason.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great!

Just when I think there isn't something more that I could find, the series proves me wrong.

It is my favourite series for a very good reason.
Kiwami's is sorta infamous as well - the very first mission you get is a pretty tough one - beat the Shimano boat fight which includes a buzzsaw dude (forget if he was there originally, or if they grabbed him from 0) and beat the entire fight without falling down. It gets easier after that for the most part though. Still cracks me up though with those who curse how hard Kiwami's mission mode is, when its the one thing for sure made easier than Yakuza 1 for the PS2, which had such amazing challenges like "Clear chapter 10 - Lau Ka Long, without taking ANY DAMAGE". With that camera system. Good luck with that! Never did manage it... thankfully the PS3 trophy was for just getting one "A" rank in a challenge which is super easy.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kiwami's is sorta infamous as well - the very first mission you get is a pretty tough one - beat the Shimano boat fight which includes a buzzsaw dude (forget if he was there originally, or if they grabbed him from 0) and beat the entire fight without falling down. It gets easier after that for the most part though. Still cracks me up though with those who curse how hard Kiwami's mission mode is, when its the one thing for sure made easier than Yakuza 1 for the PS2, which had such amazing challenges like "Clear chapter 10 - Lau Ka Long, without taking ANY DAMAGE". With that camera system. Good luck with that! Never did manage it... thankfully the PS3 trophy was for just getting one "A" rank in a challenge which is super easy.
Oof.

That sounds painful as hell. Going to give it a go as soon as I find time to atart playing today.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
As for 100%ing the games... its a pretty big task for pretty much any game in the series, demands you learn certain mini game rules and do lots of different things in each game. Oh, and sometimes grind, some games are better than others in that regard though. I've 100%ed almost all of the series now, with just a couple left to replay for that honor, and something like Yakuza 5 I love 100%ing because while its obscenely long to complete, its a fantastic ride because it doesn't really feel like grinding, rather just doing everything the game has to offer, which I love. Contrast that with a game like Ishin which has some bloody boring requirements (talk to each pet type 500 times... yay...)
No wonder seeing your knowledge/passion about the series :) And your profile pic is giving me a very positive impression on FoTNS, which I will play next after YK2.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017

-Enemy Characters
"A great variety of enemy characters appear in Yakuza: Like a Dragonthe most in the series history. A great number of enemies with RPG-like personalities and traits have been prepared, from power monster-types to magic users and thieves that steal your items. Several "families" of enemies exist. Most enemies belong to a family in which their strength level (grade) differs. For example, in the "Gangster" family depicted below, we see the weakest "Color Gangster," the stronger "Mad Gangster," the even stronger "Gangster Ace," and the strongest "Gangster Boss."

Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon_2019_11-22-19_002.jpg