• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Sotenbori in the game sure is crazy considering that we already have the massive Ijincho and of course Kamurocho. I wonder if there won't be much to do in Sotenbori then in terms of side content. Guess we'll see. Still: Wow!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do wonder how content will be separated up per town, they've not actually shown off all that much all things considered... not that I'm complaining as it'll be a bigger surprise when its released.

Anyway, stumbled upon some snippets of gameplay from the stream last week. Basically the first part of the first chapter of the game:

The first video shows Arakawa's youth, story wise this already has me deeply interested, as far as villains go, I reckon he's going to be up there with the best. Also, I really love how the opening Ichiban cutscene goes directly from video to chase gameplay.
The result of the chase (not really shown in that vid, but I've seen it elsewhere) and the end of the second vid show Ichiban being a Yakuza. A really terrible one at that, no wonder why Sawashiro always beats him (literally, he beats the crap out of him regularly) for not making money. He definitely feels like a loveable goofball.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
If anyone is on the fence about giving the series a shot and reading this thread, I've got 2 Steam keys for Yakuza 0 on PC in the giveaway thread on the main forum. No excuses!

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Currently playing Yakuza Kiwami 2

Why is Majima so freaking amazing

8FBUIO.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Sega might have had another Yakuza stream today. Not watched it yet but saw this interesting screen cap:
Screenshot_20191224-195501_YouTube.jpg

So yeah, two new confirmed team members (the triad and Jun Gi Han) - both were almost basically confirmed in the long trailer anyway, so its not exactly surprising but cool to have it officially confirmed either way. Also interesting, if not all that surprising is how the job ranks go at least up to 30 in the game, they capped out at around 5 I think in the demo.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Sega might have had another Yakuza stream today. Not watched it yet but saw this interesting screen cap:
Screenshot_20191224-195501_YouTube.jpg

So yeah, two new confirmed team members (the triad and Jun Gi Han) - both were almost basically confirmed in the long trailer anyway, so its not exactly surprising but cool to have it officially confirmed either way. Also interesting, if not all that surprising is how the job ranks go at least up to 30 in the game, they capped out at around 5 I think in the demo.

Man, I can't wait for their explanation for Han. And yes, awesome to see it getting confirmed that there are more party members. Now, I do hope that everyone gets exp even if they aren't in the active party.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It looks every member got the same ex in the result screen. Also this one is actually explained in the stream that you can change the party member freely by consuming a turn during the battle.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It looks every member got the same ex in the result screen. Also this one is actually explained in the stream that you can change the party member freely by consuming a turn during the battle.
Yeah, I was curious about the EXP share as well and how it works. I'd love it if all level up even if you dont swap them in mid fight.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I was curious about the EXP share as well and how it works. I'd love it if all level up even if you dont swap them in mid fight.

Awesome, glad to hear. Being able to switch party members during a fight is a great choice too!

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Reached Chapter 11 and the main campaign is the weakest compared to the previous games. In Y0 and Y1, the game made me care for the characters, story is more personal and the stakes were higher. Nothing like that with Y2.
- Only character I would have cared for i.e Haruka, has been sent away in the beginning.
- Side stories have better NPCs than Daigo Dojima whom I've to save.
- Similarly, for a person whose face is pasted on the steelbook, Ryuji Goda got very little screen time. I found Kuze from Y0 wayyyy more interesting than him.
- Sayama and Kiryu are good together. However, on her own she is not that memorable.

Guess I've overhyped myself seeing many calling it among the best Yakuza games.
Side stories are good though, most of them having multiple layers and as crazy as ever(Be my baby, in the name of art :p). Really liking the Cabaret Grand Prix and Majima construction side stories too. Will be spending many more hours there and then there is Majima saga still left to play. So, despite of the weak(IMO) main plot, its still a solid entry in the franchise.Also on seeing so many references of Y0 and Y1, I'm glad that I've waited and dint go for Y6 first, which I was planning to do earlier.
Ok, so the story picked up from the very next chapter and all of my concerns from the last post have been addressed :) Would have spent more than an hour just fulfilling Haruka's requests....till its become a chore. My completion % is already much higher compared to Y0 and YK1.(Spent about 25 hours so far).Majima construction side story is the best!! Have become really addicted to it. Yet to start investing in Cabaret GP. And then there is Majima Saga left. Talk about getting value for money :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Some further cool info on one of my most hyped mini games in Yakuza 7 - Mario Kart:

I mean, look at the font used for "1st, 2nd" etc. Screams Mario Kart 64 to me. But enough about that, one you clear the first few GPs the mini game hops over to Tokyo letting you tackle Kamurocho based courses, which I can't wait for either. Looks like the one time you can drive on the roads just outside the entrance of Kamurocho (well, you could fly above them in Judge Eyes).

Ok, so the story picked up from the very next chapter and all of my concerns from the last post have been addressed :) Would have spent more than an hour just fulfilling Haruka's requests....till its become a chore. My completion % is already much higher compared to Y0 and YK1.(Spent about 25 hours so far).Majima construction side story is the best!! Have become really addicted to it. Yet to start investing in Cabaret GP. And then there is Majima Saga left. Talk about getting value for money :)
Told you to wait and see the next chapters ;) The game is basically a roller coaster from this point on aside from the penultimate chapter. So enjoy!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
z_5e02f65cbd598.jpg

z_5e02f65cae5d2.jpg

z_5e02f737e47db.jpg

z_5e02f65cb9c53.jpg

Man, I really wonder if this will actually be port of the story or some extra boss battle stuff. You know, like in other RPGs where the hardest enemies are actually the optional bosses. Of course, there's still the theory that Ichiban is in a coma and just "dreaming" all of this. Either way: I'm so pumped for this game. The English release can't come soon enough.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Now there's an Xmas day present worth a damn. I have so many questions, and most of them revolve around that last picture. Well, that and the location of where the first picture's fight takes place. I assume its probably late game either way, else your team would get absolutely decimated by the fights.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and saw this on discord:

So sounds like there are some unique encounters as well. Just when you thought the game was done revealing stuff it just keeps on going. The 100% completion run on this is going to be magical I tell you what.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Few chapters in, and there's something I'm not understanding about Judgment's story: the conflict is framed as Tojo vs. Kyorei, since the latter is this game's obligatory outsider group that aims to muscle into Kamurocho... but it seems more like it's only the Matsugane Family by itself against the Kyorei Clan, though? Of all the many Tojo men and families in Kamurocho, why are the Matsugane Family left alone to deal with Kyorei, as if it's a small-scale conflict between two bottom rung gangs? Tojo should be able to easily exert their far superior influence and stomp out the Kyorei.

I know it's supposed to be a smaller-scale storyline without Daigo / Majima / Saejima etc. involvement or anything like that, and it's not like the series has ever been good at conveying the actual scale of the Tojo Clan (aside from maybe the scenes set at Tojo HQ), but I just find it odd how everything but the central players of the story just cease to exist for the purposes of plot convenience.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They just keep dropping new stuff for Y7. With the other stuff they had announced, I didn't expect any more big systems like the new Pokemon stuff.

Those new screenshots raise a lot of questions as well. Hopefully
the Kiryu fight is the Amon equivilent. While Majima and Saejima are probably tied to the main story in Kamurocho.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh, and saw this on discord:

So sounds like there are some unique encounters as well. Just when you thought the game was done revealing stuff it just keeps on going. The 100% completion run on this is going to be magical I tell you what.

That sounds so fun and like the perfect kinda thing to throw into this game. I can't believe how much stuff is in here as well as how enjoyable it all sounds.

In a way, it's pretty wonderful that this seems to be a sole protagonist game. Ichiban is really getting the red carpet treatment for his introductory title.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Man, I really wonder if this will actually be port of the story or some extra boss battle stuff. You know, like in other RPGs where the hardest enemies are actually the optional bosses. Of course, there's still the theory that Ichiban is in a coma and just "dreaming" all of this. Either way: I'm so pumped for this game. The English release can't come soon enough.
I think it's part of the story (in the early chapters) because it's explained that they (Daigo, Saejima and Majima) appear for connecting the story from 6 to 7. As for Kiryu, I guess he is a dungeon master or something like that. According to this, 7 has dungeons, it would be fun if Shinjuku station is the dungeon. You know what I mean since you went there a few week ago ;)
And it also mentsions there is a battle arena in Sotenbori.
バトルシステムがコマンドRPGとなった本作ならではの施設であるダンジョンや、蒼天掘バトルアリーナという施設の紹介も。

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's part of the story (in the early chapters) because it's explained that they (Daigo, Saejima and Majima) appear for connecting the story from 6 to 7. As for Kiryu, I guess he is a dungeon master or something like that. According to this, 7 has dungeons, it would be fun if Shinjuku station is the dungeon. You know what I mean since you went there a few week ago ;)

Kiryu is seen in the same fight scene as Majima etc. though in the Omi base, so part of me wonders if its a late game battle and not early game (assault on Sotenbori Omi HQ). We'll have to wait and see.

Also thanks for confirming the arena location, I thought that's what it said but wasn't 100% sure. Wonder if the underwater arena from 0 is returning?

That sounds so fun and like the perfect kinda thing to throw into this game. I can't believe how much stuff is in here as well as how enjoyable it all sounds.

In a way, it's pretty wonderful that this seems to be a sole protagonist game. Ichiban is really getting the red carpet treatment for his introductory title.
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with how there didn't seem to be any new arcade games (though no shortage of them either) in 7, but the fact they are still introducing lots of new stuff in the game makes me very happy, if all three cities have tons of stuff to do, it'll be the only game I need to play for next year!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I missed that Sotenbori was in the game. This might end up being pretty close to Yakuza 5 in terms of the amount of content.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I missed that Sotenbori was in the game. This might end up being pretty close to Yakuza 5 in terms of the amount of content.
5 has more cities, but when you consider Yokohama is roughly 3 times the size of Kamurocho, while 5's new cities were way smaller, it'll even out at worst in terms of footprint, as the Dragon cities have many more little alleyways and hidden areas to explore (especially in 7 where chests are hidden with cool items/equipment).

Content wise I reckon it may come fairly close, 5 had a ton of unique content to the game that was never used again, I doubt anything will beat that anytime soon, but I think 7 will come close, out of the Dragon games at least it'll be the easy winner, and I bet it'll beat out all but 5 and maybe 0 in terms of content.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

Ah ok, that makes sense then. Thank you! And haha, yes: Shinjuku Station as a dungeon would be absolutely perfect. While I had zero trouble finding my way through it (really, there's like a sign every 5 meters), it's still quite the maze. Perfect place for a dungeon indeed. Honestly, I miss going through Shinjuku Station every day... I miss it a lot. I can't wait to return next year again hopefully.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
General trailer for Yakuza 7. Shows off all manor of awesome stuff including familiar summons... I really need to watch this a few more times to make sense of it all:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
There is so much to take in with that video, it's crazy. After some initial reservations regarding the decision to go turn-based, I'm seeing more and more of the game and believing it might end up being the best Yakuza game after 0, when all is said and done. Let's hope. New combat, new big city, new cast... lots to look forward to.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So rewatching the video, especially the end we get to see more summons/Kiwami attacks including
Daigo, a Tiger, Saejima alongside Majima's awesome knives attack. There's also a clip of Kiryu, and I wondering if that's in fact still a summon or just a story scene... I mean the summon clips are really long and it wouldn't be all that surprising if Kiryu is one of the last summons you get. Plus it'd make more sense than having him as a party member

Also, the Ichiban holdings stuff is shaping up to be incredibly entertaining going by those clips. So much gifable material...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, in no surprise what so ever, Kiryu is a summon:

And keep in mind, you spend money to summon these characters, so from what I could tell, your gonna break the bank summoning Mr. former 4th chairman. Probably a late game summon, makes me wonder if you acquire him via story or side content like others you can get...

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, figured that might be the case. Really curious if he wills how up in the main plot or be part of a side story that eventually unlocks him as a summon.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Both potentially. I can see them used in the main story, then maybe late game/post game content where you can fight and recruit them as summons.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, since Yakuza 7 is just a couple of weeks out, and hungry for more Yakuza I've been checking out bits of Kenzan again on Youtube. That final chapter... I love the Kojiro cutscenes/fight (crazy to think that's the start of the final long fight, not the end!)
Really has me hyped for my Kenzan replay at some point this year, after all its the only game I never reached Amon, and that still stings to this day. Hopefully Sega take it easy on Yakuza releases this year so I can focus on Kenzan later in the year... (if not I'll just play it anyway!)

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Never played Kenzan sadly, but I'll just wait for the steelbook two pack Western release of Kenzan and Ishin. It's obviously coming soon.

/s. Maybe

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Never played Kenzan sadly, but I'll just wait for the steelbook two pack Western release of Kenzan and Ishin. It's obviously coming soon.

/s. Maybe
I mean, Kenzan has the whole "child sells herself into... a certain industry" plot point. Which I'm guessing would be frowned upon quite a lot these days. Makes releasing it in English rather difficult I'd imagine.

But the plot is actually a rather good revenge plot with a very different Kiryu - one who actually does kill (ignore those stupid reddit memes), is a mix of lazy and driven by money, but also that same badass self he's known to be. Date is still a moral compass for him. Majima is most certainly Majima! plus its got a wonderful looking environment to explore, lots of rural areas in addition to the town areas, lots of sword moves, 4 stances, lots of funny revelations, and a UFO.

I'd be down for any remake/remaster/whatever if the game did get translated, or even just a Japanese PS4 port..

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Kenzan has the whole "child sells herself into... a certain industry" plot point. Which I'm guessing would be frowned upon quite a lot these days. Makes releasing it in English rather difficult I'd imagine.

But the plot is actually a rather good revenge plot with a very different Kiryu - one who actually does kill (ignore those stupid reddit memes), is a mix of lazy and driven by money, but also that same badass self he's known to be. Date is still a moral compass for him. Majima is most certainly Majima! plus its got a wonderful looking environment to explore, lots of rural areas in addition to the town areas, lots of sword moves, 4 stances, lots of funny revelations, and a UFO.

I'd be down for any remake/remaster/whatever if the game did get translated, or even just a Japanese PS4 port..
Oh, interesting.

I've always been really eager to play Kenzan and Ishin. And I remember a few months ago they mentioned that Kenzan is ripe for a Kiwami remaster, so there's a chance (albeit maybe a small one).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, interesting.

I've always been really eager to play Kenzan and Ishin. And I remember a few months ago they mentioned that Kenzan is ripe for a Kiwami remaster, so there's a chance (albeit maybe a small one).
Yeah, it was mentioned as a possibility, though who knows if it'll actually happen. Ishin is easier really to localise - its already on PS4 and story wise I don't recall any issues. Not sure how they'd get around a couple of Kenzan's plot points with Haruka, but hopefully they can do something, its an ace game after all.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I started Yakuza Kiwami 2 and already miss the framerate under the old engine but I don't have a gaming PC. I forgot how rote and sluggish combat is in the Dragon Engine but it usually gets better with upgrades. Sotenbori looks amazing in the Dragon Engine though.

I do like the QOL improvements over 6 such as the ability to pocket weapons, equipment combos, and stocking vending machine drinks. And Kaoru is the GOAT co-protagonist. It's a shame she disappears in later games.

I'm disappointed the cabaret mini-game is a rehash of 0's Cabaret Czar plot. I liked PS2 Y2's host club substory. It was one of the more memorable ones in the series.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I reckon one of 7's cast is going to steal the co protagonist crown myself. Though a big part of me kinda prefers the bromance between Yagami and Kaito in Judge Eyes. Karou kicks more ass though. Dammit, too hard to pick my favourite Yakuza character (well, its Kuze, than Takasugi, but after that its wide open).

I really wish pocketing weapons was a thing in all the games though, baffling how it isn't. The PS2 version of 2 introduces the mechanic, its cut for 3 and 4 but then brought back for 5. Then cut again only for Kiwami 2 to bring it back. And then its gone again after that... Its just so darn useful, especially for anyone going for all heat moves or if you have personal favourite weapon heat moves.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
random stuff regarding 7 based on the gameplay in the latest stream,

It showed the post endgame mode and it seems it isn't called Premium adventure in 7)
Namba (hobo guy) is available as a party member in that mode. Even though the story trailer is implying he is a traitor, he is not after all?
Han Jungi is also there in the party so 7's story is not a dream Ichi has when he is in a coma?
Munancho cult exists in Yokohama 2019-2020 lol

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
random stuff regarding 7 based on the gameplay in the latest stream,

It showed the post endgame mode and it seems it isn't called Premium adventure in 7)
Namba (hobo guy) is available as a party member in that mode. Even though the story trailer is implying he is a traitor, he is not after all?
Han Jungi is also there in the party so 7's story is not a dream Ichi has when he is in a coma?
Munancho cult exists in Yokohama 2019-2020 lol
Maybe post end game just takes your main party and lets you continue using them regardless of how the story plays out at the end - maybe because the completion list requires you to unlock all classes/level them up etc. as well as the party central side stories? I'm curious as to what post game is in this game though.
As for Han, there's been a couple of other strange choices for characters (the bartender and weapons dealer in one side story) which really makes me curious where the heck the story is going.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I forgot to add, you can call a taxi using the taxi app on the phone.
Maybe post end game just takes your main party and lets you continue using them regardless of how the story plays out at the end - maybe because the completion list requires you to unlock all classes/level them up etc. as well as the party central side stories? I'm curious as to what post game is in this game though.
As for Han, there's been a couple of other strange choices for characters (the bartender and weapons dealer in one side story) which really makes me curious where the heck the story is going.
That bartender looks Kiryu to me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to add, you can call a taxi using the taxi app on the phone.

That bartender looks Kiryu to me.
People have said it looks like Kashiwagi, though I'm not seeing it myself. There's also the illegal weapons dealer for one side story who "knows of Kiryu"
who looks incredibly similar to Lau Ka Long. Kinda strange that all the characters hinted at being in the game (as in, the dead ones) all got shot. Heck, even Ichiban is shot early in the game. With them teasing, yet keeping their mouth shut on how certain characters are coming back I really wonder where the heck they are going with parts of the plot, has me super excited

I at least expect the trippiest Yakuza ever, if nothing else.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the next crossover event for RGG Online will be badass at least:

RGG Online X RGG Ishin. Though the trailer basically just shows footage from Ishin cinematics, and that a SSR Ryoma is coming. But hey at least Sega has Ishin on the mind. Wonder if we can get a Kenzan crossover event one day...

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, the next crossover event for RGG Online will be badass at least:

RGG Online X RGG Ishin. Though the trailer basically just shows footage from Ishin cinematics, and that a SSR Ryoma is coming. But hey at least Sega has Ishin on the mind. Wonder if we can get a Kenzan crossover event one day...

It's definitely great to hear them still talk about Ishin.
I wonder if we'll see another game in the vein of Kenzan and Ishin next gen. Very good track record for the historical setting Yakuza games.