• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well the last two samurai games were released around the launches of the PS3 and PS4. So... I do wonder if we are getting another one in 2020/21 cross gen again, and with the PS5 I do expect the Dragon Engine running at 60FPS this time, what with the tech jump.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well the last two samurai games were released around the launches of the PS3 and PS4. So... I do wonder if we are getting another one in 2020/21 cross gen again, and with the PS5 I do expect the Dragon Engine running at 60FPS this time, what with the tech jump.

That would be quite an exciting announcement.
I think we can say, pretty much without question, that this one would be localized due to the current popularity of the franchise in the west.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Came here to entertain the idea. I'd love another Jidaigeki, or even something from earlier Showa pre-Zero.

Watching this prerelease discussion for 7 with the voice actors and Yokoyama jokes about one of the cutscenes being from Ishin 2.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im bad at my historical time periods, but one thing I'd kinda love to see in a Samurai game is something that includes Nobunaga (either antagonist or protagonist, either way would do me). I mean, he's be done to death in games, but just not done in Yakuza yet. So I would kinda love to see that.

Oh, and shameless shill, RGG7 is now just under 2 weeks away from release!

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up that Cook and Becker sent out a newsletter today in which they mentioned they'll be releasing Yakuza prints this year. Can't wait to see how much I'll be spending

(Cook and Becker sells limited edition/high quality/official art prints for framing: https://www.cookandbecker.com)

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Stopped following the game after that last trailer which I did not watch but still got spoiled.

Excited the game is coming out and can finally experience it in less than two weeks.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still leery about the turn-based combat, but the amount of content looks wild. Is there any date set for the Western release?

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Completed Kiwami 2 today

The last few chapters... whhheeeeeewwwww. Holy crap. A lot of twists. Bit out there, but wonderful cooky overall.

And now we wait for the Yakuza Collection.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Funny enough, I've been marathoning through Kiwami 2 myself since these games always suck me in. I forgot how long 2 is compared to 1 since 1 is only 13 chapters. The main story really does go places and reinforces the theme of the sins of the father passing on to the next generation. I always have beef with some of it which require a major suspension of disbelief. For example, how did imposter Kazuki survive getting shot in the head before finally getting taken out by a shot to the chest? Rubber bullets?

After going through the Four Shine campaign, I finally made it to Chapter 10. Now that I saw it through, the Cabaret Grand Prix wasn't a complete afterthought as I initially thought. It was a sequel to 0's cabaret management game rife with references to it.

I liked how the subplot didn't have a mustache-twirling villain unlike in 0. I only have Kiara's substory to see through but I liked Aika's characterization the most. All I have to do is grind to 100 million yen --I'm nearly there-- and go through 300 customers but it's such a grind. A full stable of Platinum hostesses on the first circuit should do it.

The mini-game that makes me cringe the most in this one is easily the Gravure photoshoot which is a bit of a slog. And the substories at the batting cage and golf range have been elusive to do so far. I've watched YouTube vids of both and it's still annoying.

Otherwise, I've been enjoying it. Compared to K1, K2 is bloated with stuff to do even if doing side stuff deflates the main story's strong sense of urgency. But as always, doing side stuff turns the main story missions into a cakewalk since I've been steamrolling through mobs and bosses. Especially in the Dragon Engine games what with its wonky, funny physics.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any sort of event/window we could expect a Y7 Western date or will the next State of Play be most likely?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
My guess would be summer 2020 again. Judgment got released in December in Japan and then in June in the rest of the world. Would be cool if it would release in a similar timeframe.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So I finally got the remasters and started 3. It's been a year since I finished Kiwami 2.
So far everything is as expected. Crazy story twists right at the start. Typical Yakuza madness. It's so cool to see all those people I care so much about. The whole thing with the kids is adorable and Kiryu just keeps on being best guy-Kiryu.

But I'm also super confused and frustrated because the fighting system, I just don't get it anymore.
Regular street thugs - no problem. But boss battles? I just can't do them somehow. They just block every move I make. I won't deal any damage at all. Fights take ages. And of course blocking or dodging their moved won't do anything. I'm kind of lost here.
Fortunately it let's me switch to easy after 2 defeats and I manage to win fights after all but it just doesn't feel right. I feel like I'm completely missing something here. Like I'm not playing this game right. I never had big problems with 0, K1 and K2.
Is it because I apparently suck at 10 year old games? I hope I will still go through this without getting so frustrated I might need to quit.
I'm definitely starting 4 on easy.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Don't start 4 on easy. Because of these complaints in 3, RGGS nerf difficulty in Yakuza games through the ground. 4 begins the "braindead easy" part of the series where it never recovers from, which annoys me as all the Yakuza games from that point on are insanely easy, even on Hard mode.

3 starts off "hard" for a couple of chapters as enemies and Rikiya are pretty defensive (Rikiya especially) so you have to either use weapons like tables, or dodge behind his attacks. After that boss fight, the next couple of chapters don't really have any big/tough boss fights until you hit chapter 5 - but at this point you will have had the opportunity to learn Komaki's techniques - which make boss fights way more fun as it lets you easily stun and do damage. Enemies can still be more defensive than in later games but I personally like that, means I actually have to put some effort into breaking them open with a good dodge, or even better - Tiger Drop into a wall bounce combo for big, unavoidable damage.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, Yakuza 3 is more challenging than any of the releases that came afterwards. I started it up again recently and it's surprising seeing hard difficulty actually beat me up, where it's pretty tame in all the subsequent titles.

Edit: It would be pretty cool if hard in Yakuza 7 is actually a sizable challenge.

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally started Judgment and hot damn this game is so good. Being able to walk into all the buildings seamlessly and kick dudes through store windows absolutely rules. I've only played 0 and I plan on starting with Kiwami 1/2 and then the remaster collection.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Yakuza 3 is more challenging than any of the releases that came afterwards. I started it up again recently and it's surprising seeing hard difficulty actually beat me up, where it's pretty tame in all the subsequent titles.

Edit: It would be pretty cool if hard in Yakuza 7 is actually a sizable challenge.
Could be. One particular boss fight (guess who!) has either 4 phases, or just switches to 4 different stances throughout his fight, each stance getting very different powers/properties that tie in directly with his fighting styles as they've been portrayed previously. One stance/phase sounds terrifying as he can potentially counter any (physical?) attack you throw at him.

Only just over a week now to go, so time for me to get a move on with Sekiro so I can start Yakuza 7 around about its launch.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note, they mentioned that Yakuza 7 has no difficulty modes AFAIK
Interesting, didn't see that. Not that it matters, the amount of modding and equipment you can get should make you pretty darn powerful against most enemies (not to mention how you one shot enemies with attacks they are weak to).

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Is there any sort of event/window we could expect a Y7 Western date or will the next State of Play be most likely?

It won't be at any of the upcoming two PAX shows that's for sure. Sony has been mum on their next State of Play date. Plus Scott Strichart recently tweeted that they're hard at work on the localization and encouraged fans to stay away from spoilers as Y7 releases. It could be a possible summer release.

I finally started Judgment and hot damn this game is so good. Being able to walk into all the buildings seamlessly and kick dudes through store windows absolutely rules. I've only played 0 and I plan on starting with Kiwami 1/2 and then the remaster collection.
The Dragon Engine games are drastically different from the old engine in 0/K1. The character models look way better plus it's seamless to go in and out of places (for the most part). But the physics are hilariously wonky and its 30FPS on consoles. You'll completely tear apart a room and it will be as if nothing happened in the cut scene that follows. 😆

It still drives me nuts that enemies disappear after beating them up which is immersion breaking. But I think the Dragon Engine isn't optimized to keep bodies on screen. Are you playing it English with Japanese subs or the default English dub?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not all really that immersion breaking when older games were just as stupid with how heat moves that would kill a man in real life, would just cause them to walk away once the battle ended. I love destroying the Poppo Mart in the newer games that's for sure.

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be at any of the upcoming two PAX shows that's for sure. Sony has been mum on their next State of Play date. Plus Scott Strichart recently tweeted that they're hard at work on the localization and encouraged fans to stay away from spoilers as Y7 releases. It could be a possible summer release.

The Dragon Engine games are drastically different from the old engine in 0/K1. The character models look way better plus it's seamless to go in and out of places (for the most part). But the physics are hilariously wonky and its 30FPS on consoles. You'll completely tear apart a room and it will be as if nothing happened in the cut scene that follows. 😆

It still drives me nuts that enemies disappear after beating them up which is immersion breaking. But I think the Dragon Engine isn't optimized to keep bodies on screen. Are you playing it English with Japanese subs or the default English dub?
I'm a fan of the trade-offs so far, I really like the way the Dragon Engine looks. I'm playing in Japanese.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017

I had hoped for a shorter turnaround, but July at the earliest is probably to be expected considering the scope of the game.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Not all really that immersion breaking when older games were just as stupid with how heat moves that would kill a man in real life, would just cause them to walk away once the battle ended. I love destroying the Poppo Mart in the newer games that's for sure.
Hahaha, that's true. Every heat move would kill people in real life on account of how brutal they are. But people seem to be made out of titanium in the Yakuza series. How Kiryu gets a bottle smashed across his head without flinching, let alone bleeding I'll never know. Maybe Komaki taught him a secret technique. And how people aren't bruised and bleeding after a savage fight is another mystery. 🤷‍♂️

I'm a fan of the trade-offs so far, I really like the way the Dragon Engine looks. I'm playing in Japanese.
The world looks way more robust in the Dragon Engine engine that's for sure. Especially thanks to the first person camera which allows one to appreciate all the details that went into lovingly making Kamurocho feel like a lived-in place. The dub is supposed to be quite good but I haven't done a run with it.

I had hoped for a shorter turnaround, but July at the earliest is probably to be expected considering the scope of the game.
August is the latest I can see it getting released. Yakuza games usually follow a pattern of releasing 6-8 months after the JP release since the localization takes a while. I do wonder if 7 will get dual audio after Judgement's success or if it will stick with the usual format.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
August is the latest I can see it getting released. Yakuza games usually follow a pattern of releasing 6-8 months after the JP release since the localization takes a while. I do wonder if 7 will get dual audio after Judgement's success or if it will stick with the usual format.

I think dual audio will be exclusive to Judgment, but I'd expect subtitles in multiple languages to become the norm now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, that's true. Every heat move would kill people in real life on account of how brutal they are. But people seem to be made out of titanium in the Yakuza series. How Kiryu gets a bottle smashed across his head without flinching, let alone bleeding I'll never know. Maybe Komaki taught him a secret technique. And how people aren't bruised and bleeding after a savage fight is another mystery. 🤷‍♂️
Its the Batman way of thinking - brutally beating people, but don't worry, they are fine magically. Best not to think about it! Nothing shows that off better than Arkham Knight with the Batmobile!

People like dubbing, I can see it happening (though its not something I'd ever touch). But bear in mind this one is larger than previous Yakuza games, probably means it takes longer to translate as well I guess?

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
People like dubbing, I can see it happening (though its not something I'd ever touch). But bear in mind this one is larger than previous Yakuza games, probably means it takes longer to translate as well I guess?

I actually played through Judgment in English on a whim & found it quite good tbh. Just couldn't see myself doing the same with any Yakuza game, though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually played through Judgment in English on a whim & found it quite good tbh. Just couldn't see myself doing the same with any Yakuza game, though.
If it weren't for 90% of the cast being new I'd be inclined to agree but they are in a unique position to do a dub as its as close to a new beginning as the series is probably gonna get anytime soon. Though I do wonder, for legacy characters... would they get Hamill back for Majima? That'd be hilarious if they did.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
ugh, I kinda dread a 7 dub. I can already imagine the hot takes: "I prefer dubbed Majima and Kiryu."

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I worry about is if they don't do two sets of subtitles like they did for Judgment-
www.usgamer.net

Yakuza Spinoff Judgment Gets Two Sets of English Subtitles for Sub or Dub Lovers

You'll get dubtitles and proper subtitles as two different options!

and sub diehards like myself get a worse product. Or if the sales go up and someone gets the Idea to try dubs only in a future game / save on the costs of paying the Japanese voice actors and celebrities.

Even Square went with English voice acting only for the West in the recent SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions after FF Type0 HD, FF14, FF15, Star Ocean: I&F, Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2, Dragon Quest 11 S, World of Final Fantasy etc.. all had dual audio.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I just started Yakuza 0 about a week ago and shockingly wasn't feeling it. I had played Kiwami like a year and a half ago and loved it from the start but this one is kinda a slog in the opening hours so far. I know once the story kicks in and all the side events open up I'll be into it, but this slow burn of a intro put me off a bit.

It's weird cause I love bubble era Japanese stuff and all the classic yakuza movie actors being in this. I'll jump back in this weekend. (Just at chapter 2.)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I just started Yakuza 0 about a week ago and shockingly wasn't feeling it. I had played Kiwami like a year and a half ago and loved it from the start but this one is kinda a slog in the opening hours so far. I know once the story kicks in and all the side events open up I'll be into it, but this slow burn of a intro put me off a bit.

It's weird cause I love bubble era Japanese stuff and all the classic yakuza movie actors being in this. I'll jump back in this weekend. (Just at chapter 2.)
As the game opens up, it gets better. Personally, I wasn't bothered by the slow opening (Yakuza 3 is a slow burn of a story for the intro chapters) but I can see why you were turned off. YK1 starts off with all the fighting styles unlocked from the outset. Plus Many people including developers such as Steve Gaynor of Fullbright (see his Giant Bomb top 10 article) found the bubble era Japan setting refreshing. It'll make you retroactively appreciate characters that appear in Kiwami 1 even more.

On the topic of dubs, I still have a goal to pay Mark Hamill whatever he asks for to get my copy of Y1 PS2 signed by him at a convention (Getting my copies of Darksiders 1 and 2 signed would be a bonus if I'm willing to go broke lol). Star Wars never did much for me so I will always revere Hamill's voice acting work. It would be completely insane if RGGS is somehow able to get Hamill back for Y7. That is if they have a crazy budget for Y7 to afford big union actors.

I would find it even funnier if RGGS got Michael Rosenbaum to voice Ichiban given that Nishiki's Japanese VA voices said character. It would be a snake eating its tail moment lol. From the looks of it, Rosenbaum has done a mix of VA, TV, and movie work lately so it wouldn't be out of the question.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt we'll see Japanese dubs go away for Yakuza, thankfully I actually trust the localisation team to do the right thing when it comes to this aspect. But I do have to wonder who they'd get for the English VA's because as mentioned above, Hammill and Michael Rosenbaum are both great (voice) actors and should do a good job if they brought them back for this game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu review score is up:

38/40, though as always its worth noting that Famitsu isn't exactly a good way to gauge a game's quality. So I'll be interested to see what other Japanese review sites give it (probably the only time I'll be looking to IGN for a review score...)
That said, anyone else expecting the game to get hammered on Amazon User reviews next week solely for the combat change (whether its any good or not?) Amazon user reviews always seem to be complaining about something after all...

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Huh...

Didn't expect that.
I'll try to timestamp but in an interview I linked above the VAs for Kiryu and Nishikiyama/ichiban they talk about playing the games by themselves. Kuroda (Kiryu) says that he plays on easy and Yokoyama mentions that 7 doesn't have the option to change as it's an RPG. Maybe I misinterpreted but that's what it sounded like.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Original story eh... well that should be interesting at least. The trailer (assuming its the one I posted a week or two back) was just footage from the main game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
In today's edition of "look who's back for Yakuza 7" we head over to Sotenbori's Omi Alliance and meet
this man right here:
IMG_20200108_025125.jpg

The true star of Yakuza 5 - Watase. Hopefully he got that promotion he wanted! Overjoyed to see him back, he was easily one of the best characters that appeared in Yakuza 5 and absolutely deserved to return, and this game is the perfect instance to have him pop up again.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
This game's gonna be the Smash Ultimate of the Yakuza series at this point.

"EVERYONE's HERE!"

All we need is Rick Langley and Andre Richardson.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So, I started the series for the first time on Saturday, and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Combat feels super janky, but it's not too bad, and the story is more than making up for it.

I've started with Kiwami, because release order always wins against chronological order, and I was gonna get them on the PS2 back when they came out, but never got round to it lol. I've just started the game proper now I think
I've just got out of prison and fought Majima, then spoken to the investigator guy from 10 years ago.

I'm fully invested though at this point, and I might pre-order the 3-4-5 bundle just to have it ready lol.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
So, I started the series for the first time on Saturday, and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Combat feels super janky, but it's not too bad, and the story is more than making up for it.

I've started with Kiwami, because release order always wins against chronological order.
You know you fucked up right, cause Yakuza 0 came out before Yakuza: Kiwami.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You know you fucked up right, cause Yakuza 0 came out before Yakuza: Kiwami.
Yeah, I kinda lean this way as well. I get the whole release order thing, but in that case you really should go with the PS2/3/Wii U versions since Kiwami was remade partly to pair perfectly with Yakuza 0, so its supposed to be played after, not before. The amount of content and throwbacks to 0 mean experiencing 0 first would give you a greater appreciation for several characters, not least the main badguy in the game.

But hey, that's a minor issue, I hope Jimnymebob enjoys the series :)

This game's gonna be the Smash Ultimate of the Yakuza series at this point.

"EVERYONE's HERE!"

All we need is Rick Langley and Andre Richardson.
With some of the weird cameos I've seen, at this point I'm not counting anyone out. Though several legit don't make sense so I can't wait to see how certain characters are explained in the game.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I kinda lean this way as well. I get the whole release order thing, but in that case you really should go with the PS2/3/Wii U versions since Kiwami was remade partly to pair perfectly with Yakuza 0, so its supposed to be played after, not before. The amount of content and throwbacks to 0 mean experiencing 0 first would give you a greater appreciation for several characters, not least the main badguy in the game.

But hey, that's a minor issue, I hope Jimnymebob enjoys the series :)

With some of the weird cameos I've seen, at this point I'm not counting anyone out. Though several legit don't make sense so I can't wait to see how certain characters are explained in the game.
Give me Shinada or give me death