• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
My best Dice & Cube haul:

R2MFLTA.png

Probably about 90% of the board's spaces cleared, save for some dice penalty and bonus teleport squares (since things started to get risky with the amount of dice I had left). Dice & Cube came as a pleasant surprise, and I think it's definitely one of the better (and most lucrative) pieces of side content that RGG Studio has implemented. I enjoy when the endgame means of obtaining insane amounts of wealth are actually fun, like this and Cabaret Club Czar, versus just sitting in front of a gambling table and save scumming your way into millions, like in the older games. Really hope they've brought D&C back for Y7!

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
In today's edition of "look who's back for Yakuza 7" we head over to Sotenbori's Omi Alliance and meet
this man right here:
IMG_20200108_025125.jpg

The true star of Yakuza 5 - Watase. Hopefully he got that promotion he wanted! Overjoyed to see him back, he was easily one of the best characters that appeared in Yakuza 5 and absolutely deserved to return, and this game is the perfect instance to have him pop up again.
Man, this is pretty crazy, considering
Yakuza isn't known for bringing back characters unless they're recurring mainstays like Date, Florist, Yuya and Kazuki, etc. Characters like Yakuza 3's Nakahara and Saki never showed up again, despite there being a decent opportunity for them to appear in 4, 5, and 6, what with the kids still at the same orphanage in Okinawa that whole time.

I could've sworn Watase would be yet another one-off confined to Yakuza 5, but I guess not! Cool. Yakuza 7 is shaping up to be the most unique game in the series, in many ways.
It does count, though. It's not like you're playing the original PS2 versions of Yakuza 1 and 2. Kiwami 1 and 2 are meant to be played after 0, as they contain numerous references to it. K2 in particular should definitely not be played before 0, but to say why would be a pretty big spoiler. I'd recommend at least going K1 > 0 > K2.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is pretty crazy, considering
Yakuza isn't known for bringing back characters unless they're recurring mainstays like Date, Florist, Yuya and Kazuki, etc. Characters like Yakuza 3's Nakahara and Saki never showed up again, despite there being a decent opportunity for them to appear in 4, 5, and 6, what with the kids still at the same orphanage in Okinawa that whole time.

I could've sworn Watase would be yet another one-off confined to Yakuza 5, but I guess not! Cool. Yakuza 7 is shaping up to be the most unique game in the series, in many ways.

They used him effectively in Ishin and I'm fairly certain he ranked somewhat high in popularity polls in Japan, so I get the impression that he's at least somewhat popular (all reactions I've seen to this is one of joy!) so yeah, glad to see him back. It was the right choice as well, using anyone else would have kinda been a disservice to 5's ending.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of one Yakuza game that does "happily ever after". Best we manage to get is "well at least I'm not dead". Much like everything else, I blame that entirely on Daigo.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
As I posted that that VR place has been closed , it won't come back to the future games.

SO the OST for RGG7 is out. I didn't realized that 春日一番 is a pun for カスが一番 until listen that song :)

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I can't think of one Yakuza game that does "happily ever after". Best we manage to get is "well at least I'm not dead". Much like everything else, I blame that entirely on Daigo.
A lot of them do happy endings!
Y1, Y2, Y3, Y6, Judgment. Shinada even gets one in Y5.
...but then there's another game that upsets that and inevitably creates a new conflict of some sort.
As I posted that that VR place has been closed , it won't come back to the future games.

SO the OST for RGG7 is out. I didn't realized that 春日一番 is a pun for カスが一番 until listen that song :)
Damn. First RIZAP gets shuttered, now Paradise VR.

Any possibility of it being located in Ijincho this time?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hey guys.
In Australia at least, the soundtracks for Yakuza 0 and Kiwami (1) have been uploaded to Spotify (under Sega Sound Team). Not sure if they're anywhere else yet.

This is just hyping me up for the Xbox releases.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Who is the most incompetent character in the series? Daigo or Date?
Daigo. Date is a loveable goof, Daigo is the head of a huge Yakuza organisation and clearly doesn't know what he's doing. Date is at least good at his job.

A lot of them do happy endings!
Y1, Y2, Y3, Y6, Judgment. Shinada even gets one in Y5.
...but then there's another game that upsets that and inevitably creates a new conflict of some sort.

Because I'm a glass half full guy:
Yakuza 1 - Nishiki and Yumi are both dead (Yumi dying in Haruka's arms). So the two people Kiryu loved are gone. Its not a unhappy ending, but that's not a happy ending either. Its very much a "well at least we aren't dead" ending.

2 - sure. That one is as probably happy as its getting.

3 - Kiryu almost dies right in front of Haruka. I really wish that was left up in the air so his fight and appearance in 4 was a huge surprise. It'd have been epic. Again, I guess its not super sad, but its not exactly super happy either. Very much a "not dead" type of ending. Still wish Mine would have lived...

6 - Eh, not really. Kiryu fakes his death and can "never" be with his family again. Though I wonder if 7 will change that in any way.

Judgment. Now that's actually a great example. Everyone basically lives happily ever after, and the ending is a great scene of Yagami and Kaito trying to catch the cat. I loved that one.

Oh, and Dead Souls Majima is a good ending. Mainly because I just love his plot twist. Absolutely amazing.

So some new shots of Yakuza 7 are out, more summon/character details:

Watase actually ends up in prison for a while, which is how Arakawa gets his promotion. Though don't worry, the dude ends up out of prison as he's been seen in the background of a pretty huge Tojo/Omi fight scene.
Also, Daigo's summon also raises the dead - we got his dad Dojima, Kazama, Shimano and Kashiwagi all appearing. Looking at his summon name, its essentially a "poem of the dead" which explains the inclusion of dead characters.

Just a week to go now...

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
gameplay: intro part, business management mini game, end game mode, DLC job class. Probably both Yuki & Koyuki will be DLC characters for the business management game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Noooooooo not those two. If they are DLC for the mini game I'm going to have to buy them... not fair they pick my favourite two! Well that and I want an excuse to give the team more money, I'm already sold on the DLC classes.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
How hard do you guys reckon it would be to find a non-PlayStation Hits version of Yakuza 0, brand new, for sale these days? I'd love a physical copy for collection purposes, but all I'm seeing are the PlayStation Hits versions when I look online.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting those. Skimming the Game Watch impressions and they seem to really love the game - citing Ichiban as a decent, different character to Kiryu, great characters all round and lots to do in the game (so basically its a Yakuza game).

One image I really loved that I'd not seen previously, though it absolutely makes sense is this one from early in the game, probably spoilery so I'll tag it:

18_o.jpg

This should in theory be a pretty powerful moment for Ichiban - returning home and seeing the place where he was born (and I assume raised) in such a state...

*edit*
Ok, skimmed a few more of the pages and the vibe I'm getting is the reviewers are really liking the game. One really loved the switch to RPG combat and mentioned that it still manages to feel like a RGG despite the change. Also, seems that people really like Ichiban, and from what I could gather while its light hearted at times due to Ichiban's personality, the dramatic drama plot is still there and is apparently good, though no details were really mentioned that weren't already known (basically covering early chapters only).

Last edited:

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
How hard do you guys reckon it would be to find a non-PlayStation Hits version of Yakuza 0, brand new, for sale these days? I'd love a physical copy for collection purposes, but all I'm seeing are the PlayStation Hits versions when I look online.
It's fairly easy honestly. I bought a brand new original print run of Yakuza 0 off eBay last year. Make sure it says original case in the listing or it has the original case as the main picture. I scrutinized the hell of out the listing before ordering it. The packaging was excellent as the seller put care into it so I was happy.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It's fairly easy honestly. I bought a brand new original print run of Yakuza 0 off eBay last year. Make sure it says original case in the listing or it has the original case as the main picture. I scrutinized the hell of out the listing before ordering it. The packaging was excellent as the seller put care into it so I was happy.
Nice! Did you get charged an arm and a leg for it, or was it reasonably priced?

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The theme for 7 is also on Spotify, there is a version on the album that sounds like it was done on the Genesis/MD, complete with SFX from several SEGA games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Really wish I could get a big version of this pic, would make a nice wallpaper. I like just how hard they are leaning into the whole Dragon Quest/RPG game aesthetic... between that and the setting/cast of characters its a refreshing change for an RPG (and a nice change for the series).
Oh, and going by the new adverts, you can summon Nugget Jr as a summon... yay I guess. Well, I got Watase so I don't really care.

I'm also really liking the main theme of the game more than I thought I would (and the MD remix is a nice nod to the Sega of old, down to the old SEEEEEGAAAAAAAA at the beginning).

Reasonably priced. I don't think the Yakuza games are big like that to be super pricey. I got mines for $15.60 USD.
A couple of Yakuza related games do go for decent amounts - the Australian limited editions of Yakuza 4 go for silly money, as does the limited edition PS3's for Kenzan and 3 (I really wish I could get one of those...)

But other than that, they are all pretty darn cheap to get.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
And another one

Some of you were probably disappointed with realizing RGG completely turned into a parody game when you saw Ichiban pulled the bat off the ground and said "I'm a hero" in the trail version. ~~~ The game keeps explaining the background of Ichiban's delusions carefully and you will gradually feel less uncomfortable with the setting. If you play the game from the start and by the time you reach the part of the trail version, your impression will be completely different. You will find that bat scene is touching.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If we have enough people playing that'd be nice. I'll spoiler tag any plot stuff I post in here, but gameplay wise I don't think needs any spoiler tags, because most of it will just be "this is so fun".

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly wouldn't be on a simaltaneous release... The game is out next week in Japan on PS4, and on PC the last game released was Yakuza Kiwami 2. There's still 4 games (more if the spinoffs get PC ports) to go before 7 gets released. Its not impossible, what with several Japanese previews seemingly mention this is a good starting point for new fans, so they might just start releasing the games out of order, I just have doubts that's what they'll do.

Either way, I'd hope we get some sort of news around E3 at latest for more Yakuza PC stuff...

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys i just learned that some of the remasters are out (apparently I've been living under a very soundproof rock) but do i have to buy the collection or can i get them separately? I can only find the collection so this is what i'm assuming but i figured i'd ask first.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys i just learned that some of the remasters are out (apparently I've been living under a very soundproof rock) but do i have to buy the collection or can i get them separately? I can only find the collection so this is what i'm assuming but i figured i'd ask first.
Just the collection, unfortunately. Physical trilogy pack is out next month.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly wouldn't be on a simaltaneous release... The game is out next week in Japan on PS4, and on PC the last game released was Yakuza Kiwami 2. There's still 4 games (more if the spinoffs get PC ports) to go before 7 gets released. Its not impossible, what with several Japanese previews seemingly mention this is a good starting point for new fans, so they might just start releasing the games out of order, I just have doubts that's what they'll do.

Either way, I'd hope we get some sort of news around E3 at latest for more Yakuza PC stuff...

I'm sure the PC ports of the remasters are next, it's the only explanation for 6 not to be up, yet Kiwami 2 is.

if 7 was to come on PC at some point, I wouldn't expect until next year at earliest, depending on SEGA pumps them out.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Sakura Wars new here in the West, SEGA.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Ouff. Thank god I am slow-ass hell with my Yakuza playthroughs - so I can wait. But it's painful to see others playing.
Maybe I will hop on Judgment on PS4 meanwhile. (Still need to play Kiwami 2 on PC)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the PC ports of the remasters are next, it's the only explanation for 6 not to be up, yet Kiwami 2 is.

if 7 was to come on PC at some point, I wouldn't expect until next year at earliest, depending on SEGA pumps them out.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Sakura Wars new here in the West, SEGA.
Exactly what I was thinking, well I did wonder if they'd hold back 6 either way because its the end of the series, but its basically all there and ready to go but they do seem to be waiting to get those remasters out first. Not quite sure why they are doing PS4 first and waiting on PC, unless they really want to target double dippers? Eh, either way I just want them all on the PC (despite not even having a gaming capable PC, it'd just be nice for the series).

And yeah, I am very tempted to get Sakura Wars as well. Never played the series before, but it looks good and I wanna support the series.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what I was thinking, well I did wonder if they'd hold back 6 either way because its the end of the series, but its basically all there and ready to go but they do seem to be waiting to get those remasters out first. Not quite sure why they are doing PS4 first and waiting on PC, unless they really want to target double dippers? Eh, either way I just want them all on the PC (despite not even having a gaming capable PC, it'd just be nice for the series).

And yeah, I am very tempted to get Sakura Wars as well. Never played the series before, but it looks good and I wanna support the series.

There is also the fact that the series is popping up on Xbox now (at least with Game Pass), so trying to line them all up platforms now in the West is going to be a bit of a challenge going forward especially to acclimate any potential new fans with each new platform.

I've had some familiarity with Sakura Wars with bits here and there, including PXZ 1 and 2, but never really appreciated the series until later, I've been meaning to play the original series even with the language barrier...I also regret not playing So Long My Love when it was localized, especially since the aftermarket copies for the disc containing the Japanese vocal track shot up in price.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Excited about 7 next week. Only thing I am a bit worried is the "X" and "O" button mapping.

I remember in Judge Eyes, the drone camera menu had problems with the button mapping.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I want more in game adverts from Yakuza 7:

Also while this is technically side content, so it'd be lighter in tone anyway, I do love how it shows really well how different Ichiban is personality wise to Kiryu. That said, I wonder if he can get Kiryu (or Majima) to show up in a commercial as well... now that I'd see...

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Shonan No Kaze AND Yasutaka Nakata ( basically the man behind Capsule and Perfume's bangers) for the theme song. How did I not hear this sooner.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That was quick, but will house invaluable info no doubt. Thanks for posting those, will come in super handy chasing 100% completion no doubt.