• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Started Judgement at the weekend, spent 5 hours in the first chapter. Just wondering, some of the sub stories require me to eat food is there a less, er, cumbersome way to do those rather than go out onto the streets, get myself hit to take off 1hp then go eat? Kinda makes me miss the hunger gauge from Y6/YK2

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Started Judgement at the weekend, spent 5 hours in the first chapter. Just wondering, some of the sub stories require me to eat food is there a less, er, cumbersome way to do those rather than go out onto the streets, get myself hit to take off 1hp then go eat? Kinda makes me miss the hunger gauge from Y6/YK2
There s a medicine to damage your health iirc. I don t remember having trouble...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just eat over time. Its a huge game, combat can be frequent, and you can just chip away at the menu over time, which is what I do for each and every game in the series. You can't miss anything, so there's really no insentive to rush through things. Only time in a Yakuza game I found myself needing to grind food consumption was in Yakuza 5, because the crab place in Osaka gives amazing healing per meal (100% healing no matter how huge your health bar is) so having to order food one at a time was a pain...

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Just eat over time. Its a huge game, combat can be frequent, and you can just chip away at the menu over time, which is what I do for each and every game in the series. You can't miss anything, so there's really no insentive to rush through things. Only time in a Yakuza game I found myself needing to grind food consumption was in Yakuza 5, because the crab place in Osaka gives amazing healing per meal (100% healing no matter how huge your health bar is) so having to order food one at a time was a pain...

I've played every mainline entry in the series, I know. I just prefer to get some stuff done earlier if possible.

Wasn't aware of the drink thanks sweetmini, not having trouble with anything it was just a minor issue for me in an otherwise (so far) great experience.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. For me, the more I play, the more powerful the enemies get so you'll naturally take a few hits here and there and then hitting the food stuff happens naturally, especially if your going for 100% menu/food completion. Only stuff in Judge Eyes I'd certainly recommend doing early on, now you mention it though is getting the QR Code sensor power ups (if you've not got them already) as you get pinged each time your close to one, means you can find them all really easy as you just go through the city as opposed to checking a map on your phone all the time. Well that and looking up the extra move QR code locations (there are around 5 of them) - one is in the batting cages (around the back room/corridor I think) and another is in the small vacant lot in the Champion District where you find the crooked detective in the first bit of the game. One of these should be the Tiger Drop QR code, its not the cheapest move to unlock especially at the beginning of the game, but it is amazingly powerful. So definitely grab it!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Wasn't aware of the drink thanks sweetmini, not having trouble with anything it was just a minor issue for me in an otherwise (so far) great experience.

You're welcome ! Have fun !

I hope there won't be any delay for the Y7 early download... i must not waste a minute of download time if i want a sliver of hope of playing the game this weekend.
Anyone knows the size of the download by the way ?

Goney

Oct 25, 2017
Just started up Yakuza 3 recently. This marks the "oldest" entry in the series that I've played.

So far I have played 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and Judgment.

Trying to play them all before 7 drops this year. Hopefully I don't get burnt out.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You're welcome ! Have fun !

I hope there won't be any delay for the Y7 early download... i must not waste a minute of download time if i want a sliver of hope of playing the game this weekend.
Anyone knows the size of the download by the way ?
Pre load has just started. Looks like its just under 35GB in size. Can't wait to kick off my pre load tonight (passed on the physical edition for the import, the digital one was just much cheaper on the HK store. Will grab it physically when the English release shows up)

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Pre load has just started. Looks like its just under 35GB in size. Can't wait to kick off my pre load tonight (passed on the physical edition for the import, the digital one was just much cheaper on the HK store. Will grab it physically when the English release shows up)

Wow thanks ! Without you i would have lost 10 hours. You are a life savior :)
I am like you, i will also get the western physical, bringing it back home from work. (35GB is not too bad, i feared worse with a 14GB demo)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to help. Pre loading is gonna be super handy for me, wasn't sure just when I'd have the game ready for. But I still have Sekiro's hidden endings to get, so yeah, first things first!

But anyway, it begins!

Meanwhile, because I can't stop reading/looking at footage for 7, I looked at more of the first chapter. And to my happiness, there's an exchange near the end of the first chapter where (spoilers for both RGG Online and RGG7)
Arakawa scolds Ichiban about smiling and showing his teeth - telling him that Yakuza should only show their teeth if they are in danger. This is absolutely one of his speeches to Ichi in RGG Online, and is the main driving force for Ichiban to pursue Arakawa in RGG Online - because Arakawa showed him his teeth right before he shot him, so he thinks his old man is in trouble. I assume similar may happen in 7, or at least it'll be referred to again at a different point in 7 to drive the same point home. The line stuck with me in Online because while goofy, its a cool bond that Ichi and Arakawa have so I'm glad its been kept for 7

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone playing the Japanese version: Enjoy! Looking forward to the spoiler-free impressions. :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. No difficulty trophy, and doesn't even look as though there's a 100% completion trophy either (hoping for a list in game still for my enjoyment).

So in theory, should be one of the easier to plat, unless the game gets insanely hard in some of the optional stuff.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
How mych was it in HK? I have my Japanese BD arriving Monday hopefully :/

7's trophies look doable at least.
They mention an Osakan Arena, something akin to a map for that mode only I wonder? I doubt we have Yokohama, Tokyo AND Osaka in the game otherwise.

Speaking of trophies, I have finally started my JP imports of 3/4/5 on PS4. Is it just me or is 3's platinum a lot easier than 4 and 5, or am I missing something?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
How mych was it in HK? I have my Japanese BD arriving Monday hopefully :/

7's trophies look doable at least.
They mention an Osakan Arena, something akin to a map for that mode only I wonder? I doubt we have Yokohama, Tokyo AND Osaka in the game otherwise.

Speaking of trophies, I have finally started my JP imports of 3/4/5 on PS4. Is it just me or is 3's platinum a lot easier than 4 and 5, or am I missing something?
Sotenbori is already known to be in the game. Only thing not known is the map they are using - Kiwami 2's or 5's... But the battle dungeon/arena stuff is in there, basically long, optional dungeon battles with strong enemies. Can't wait to dig into that.
Price wise I think I got my copy for technically £50. Well, the HKD $500 card was that much, but I basically have almost 100 of that left over, so that's getting spent on DLC for the game when its released.

As for trophies. No. 3 is not easier. 4 is the easiest, then 5, then 3.
4 has no 100% requirement, and most mini game requirements are easy. Even Mahjong has an easier hand to get.
5 isn't hard, just really long. With enough time you'll get it.
3 though. Mini game master alone makes it harder - EX Hard batting cages, expert pool, naked hand in Mahjong... There's less content in 3 compared to the other games, but its 100% completion clear for mini games requires way more skill.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Sotenbori is already known to be in the game. Only thing not known is the map they are using - Kiwami 2's or 5's... But the battle dungeon/arena stuff is in there, basically long, optional dungeon battles with strong enemies. Can't wait to dig into that.
Price wise I think I got my copy for technically £50. Well, the HKD $500 card was that much, but I basically have almost 100 of that left over, so that's getting spent on DLC for the game when its released.

As for trophies. No. 3 is not easier. 4 is the easiest, then 5, then 3.
4 has no 100% requirement, and most mini game requirements are easy. Even Mahjong has an easier hand to get.
5 isn't hard, just really long. With enough time you'll get it.
3 though. Mini game master alone makes it harder - EX Hard batting cages, expert pool, naked hand in Mahjong... There's less content in 3 compared to the other games, but its 100% completion clear for mini games requires way more skill.
I didn't even think of the mingames in 3, I must've skimmed over that trophy lol. If I get the English copy I'll have 4 copies of 3 (JP PS3, JP The Best [got for free from a friend], and PS4 JP) which all have separate trophy lists, was thinking of trying to do them all at once.

I wasn't aware we knew about Sotenbori being in the game, I've been trying to stay away from news after RGG Studio revealed who'd be returning which I'd preferred to have witness when I played the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even think of the mingames in 3, I must've skimmed over that trophy lol. If I get the English copy I'll have 4 copies of 3 (JP PS3, JP The Best [got for free from a friend], and PS4 JP) which all have separate trophy lists, was thinking of trying to do them all at once.

I wasn't aware we knew about Sotenbori being in the game, I've been trying to stay away from news after RGG Studio revealed who'd be returning which I'd preferred to have witness when I played the game.
Probably best not to think about any plot significance of Sotenbori then. I have theories on that going by what has been shown, I reckon some of the most recent trailers and reveals have been very spoilery for the end game (as per every Yakuza game really).

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Probably best not to think about any plot significance of Sotenbori then. I have theories on that going by what has been shown, I reckon some of the most recent trailers and reveals have been very spoilery for the end game (as per every Yakuza game really).
Only a few days to go anyway
I wonder if they plan to do anything with Tanimura and Shinada again. Very odd that he wasn't in 6's initial cutscene in the hospital with Akiyama and Saejima at least.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Shinada wasn't with the others though. His ending was self explanatory and finished his plot perfect. I don't really need to see him again outside of maybe a mention on what he's doing these days. And I say that as a Shinada fan.

As for Tanimura... not really bothered about him these days to be honest. I already prefer Adachi to him in terms of a new police character. I'd rather he stay gone for a while because another more key character is still completely absent from Yakuza 7, so until he's back, I don't want any other legacy characters return aside from those already in 7.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yup. No difficulty trophy, and doesn't even look as though there's a 100% completion trophy either (hoping for a list in game still for my enjoyment).

So in theory, should be one of the easier to plat, unless the game gets insanely hard in some of the optional stuff.
According to the wiki, there is a completion list but I don't see the one in the demo and the gameplay videos I watched so far.

In case someone who worries about the number of sub-stories, RGG7 has 52 sub-stories in total, not 40 . You can check the number in the demo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
According to the wiki, there is a completion list but I don't see the one in the demo and the gameplay videos I watched so far.

In case someone who worries about the number of sub-stories, RGG7 has 52 sub-stories in total, not 40 . You can check the number in the demo.
Ah, good stuff. I didn't see it in the demo either but glad the full game has one. Maybe its unlocked later or something. I did wonder about the side stories thing as well, the trophy list definitely seems pretty lean on the requirements, despite the game being pretty damn big. 2 days left...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is doing their year round up thingie where you can get top stats on what you played over the year. The only surprising aspect of my top games is the fact its using the English titles and not the Japanese ones (which were the region I played all three in).
IMG_0110

100% completion on all 3! Now it has me wondering what my total for Yakuza 7 will be. 120 hours is the absolute lowest I'd expect to spend on it.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Shinada, the most random protagonist in the series lol.

It felt like the studio had to keep up with the "5 characters for the fifth game" thing so they created this baseball player.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
For those of waiting for the western release it's going to be a long wait from here on out! I really hope they can release it this year though.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Shinada, the most random protagonist in the series lol.

It felt like the studio had to keep up with the "5 characters for the fifth game" thing so they created this baseball player.
Yeah, that was bad... in hindsight, I really didn't like Shinada's part all that much, and believe it added unnecessary bloat. Doesn't help that he's the last character you play before the big finale, so everyone is in place on the board for the epic conclusion... except for this random baseball player person. Sure, Takasugi is a cool character and all, but I really think the game would've been better off with just Kiryu, Haruka, Saejima, and Akiyama playable.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Ah, good stuff. I didn't see it in the demo either but glad the full game has one. Maybe its unlocked later or something. I did wonder about the side stories thing as well, the trophy list definitely seems pretty lean on the requirements, despite the game being pretty damn big. 2 days left...

according to this, バイトクエスト is the equivalent to the complition list 達成目録 of the previous games.
And if thats the case, there are two trophies related to the completion.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Shinada's section. He's down and out, its funny to see someone that's pretty different to your normal Yakuza character. Plus I loved the big plot twist in his chapter. Its a breath of fresh air for me, I love Nagoya, loved the focus on baseball, Takasugi of course rocks. Plus (and its timely I can post this):

He gets one of my favourite boss tracks in the entire game, well if your playing the Japanese version of the game. Otherwise its changed :( He gets a sorta happy ending at the end of 5, so I don't feel he ever needs to return really. He's really a one and done character unless they can come up with a compelling reason for him to return. Combat wise though I really did like him the last playthrough, between all his exclusive weapon based stuff (seriously, you gotta make sure you carry several weapons for him at all times) and how he can cancel almost anything into his grabs, he's an interesting character. But yeah, I don't ever think he needs to return. Akiyama on the other hand...

according to this, バイトクエスト is the equivalent to the complition list 達成目録 of the previous games.
Interesting, only one day left now, so not long to wait. I wonder when the DLC classes are released, I still have some money left from my digital download of the game, so hoping those are week 1 releases so I can buy those asap.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Only 1 day left now... I really do hope that cover gets kept for the Western release, even just as a reversable cover.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... I know the Byte Quest stuff has you doing odd jobs in the game but if its also the completion list... well that's my new favourite mode.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Absolutely loving Yakuza 2. I'm on chapter 10 and so far it's much better than Yakuza 1 and on par with 0. Some of these side stories man...good grief.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hmm... I know the Byte Quest stuff has you doing odd jobs in the game but if its also the completion list... well that's my new favourite mode.
Both trophies related to it are just bronze but one of them looks and sound the hardest one
そして伝説へ
057575.png

バイトランクが「エグゼクティブヒーロー」になった

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
As usual the game will get seven sets of free dlc over seven weeks. The first one is available this tomorrow called「成り上がり支援パック・第1弾 」 and 「 パチスロ・2機種無料追加パック

「成り上がり支援パック・第1弾 」 includes
・特別衣装「掃除担当」(春日専用)
d5397-3096-764207-1.jpg

・アクセサリー「身代わり石」
・木片×5
・濁ったガラス板×5
・荒い皮×5
・変わった石×5
・タフネスライト×3
・タウリナー×3

パチスロ・2機種無料追加パック 」 includes
ミリオンゴッド-神々の凱旋
・パチスロ猛獣王 王者の咆哮

paid DLC release schedule tba
・CD including the standard RGG numbers and full length karaoke songs
・costumes (Kiryu, Date, Majima)
・costumes (Ono Michio)
・Jobs (悪魔, 姉御)

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So is the Karaoke stuff in game DLC, or just a real soundtrack CD? As I'd totally love to play full length songs in game like Hands. Also, I saw something mention the Legendary Management paid DLC, but have no idea what the heck that could be.

Glad that the normal compliment of free DLC is happening though, what's the chances that 2000 Ichiban will be one of the freebies? I reckon we'll get shirtless Ichiban and pre jail Ichiban as costume changes, maybe already in the base game once you clear it if not free DLC.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok. May purchase then depending the price, I still have left over cash from my digital order after all. Hoping those character classes are released soon, I really want both, especially Saeko's.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Shinada's chapter in Yakuza 5 is interesting, especially since you start with literally no money. Sure, by doing some side quests you quickly earn more than you probably need for his chapter (I would argue that it doesn't ruin the narrative that he's in debt though, because you're clearly not making enough to pay off said debt), but unlike the other characters, you can't just buy a lot of items from the shops etc. There's one side quest where you have to stop a konbini thief and all you get as a reward is expired food that doesn't really heal your HP. It really shows you in what a shitty situation Shinada is. I really liked that. I also like that he won't attack with baseball bats, because he doesn't want to abuse it as a weapon due to his love to the sport.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The bat thing with Shinada is awesome. I really love the touch. Especially if you do a weapon counter heat move, knocking out the fool, catching the bat, then carefully putting it away. Such a cool little animation.
As for his money issues. I always end up getting gold plates real quick with Shinada, but then he blows it all on hostess clubs and chicken racing. Lol.

Anyway, Yakuza 7 is now unlocked. So enjoy! I won't get to starting it for a day or two (my incentive for finishing Sekiro), but I can't wait to start playing and posting about it. It was 2016 when we got the last mainline Yakuza game, so this is a huge release for me!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Have fun all y'all who are starting the import. I'm holding out for the western release this time, going to be pretty envious, but it'll be nice to read impressions here.

Random and incredibly insignificant thing that's been on my mind recently with my Y3 remastered playthrough.
I really appreciate that the localization team added minimap markers for substories, especially since there's missable stuff in Y3. This is going above and beyond and really awesome to see.
But, I always avoided this feature if possible in the other entries that featured it. I like stumbling into a substory, it makes the city feel more alive. I don't like checklist map design in open world games anymore. I want to find cool stories instead of clearing stuff off like I'm doing homework. So it's kinda weird that you can't turn this addition off, outside of just turning off the minimap. Though I could imagine that they may not have the tools to change the menu ui and create a toggle.

And yeah, Shinada's part was a stand out in Y5 for me.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody knows when we usually hear about the next project? I am hoping it is Judgment 2 cause Yakuza 5 can satisfy me for so long.

Also Shinada was cool and I will always stand by that. His section was the most different compared to every other character we played as in the series (apart from Haruka). His struggle life was really interesting and made me releate to him very much.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well 7 has only just been released. So not yet. But I think we usually hear rumblings of new games around summer if not slightly earlier, or at latest TGS in September.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017

Well 7 has only just been released. So not yet. But I think we usually hear rumblings of new games around summer if not slightly earlier, or at latest TGS in September.
Of the Dead Remaster

I can dream

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Souls remaster would be nice. But doubtful. But hey, they've at least not forgotten about it, what with its assets reused quite a bit over the years in other Yakuza games.

So todays Yakuza stream was basically a long commercial for the game (and related merch, I really want a replica Ichiban bat). But my favourite part was captured... for whatever reason there's Ichiban fake money as a promo item, which Majima's VA uses to attack Ichiban's VA in a rather entertaining fashion:

Really love watching the streams/conferences with the VAs, always get a laugh or two from them.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Playing Kiwami still (and enjoying it a ton).
While I understand 0 has newer and more original missions, I don't think the overall game is that much better than Kiwami like everyone makes it ought to be? And to be fair, I think 0 falls apart in the last 1-2 hours with a lot of info/story dump - which was a bit much for me personally. I love this series and I have only finished 1 game really, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While I understand 0 has newer and more original missions, I don't think the overall game is that much better than Kiwami like everyone makes it ought to be? And to be fair, I think 0 falls apart in the last 1-2 hours with a lot of info/story dump - which was a bit much for me personally. I love this series and I have only finished 1 game really, haha.

Yeah, people here overblow Yakuza 0 as the "only great Yakuza game" and as well Kiwami 1 gets a bit too much hate.
Kiwami was released as a budget priced remake of the earliest entry in the series and people seem to act surprised that it's not as high effort as Y0.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Each game is really similar to each other. So yeah, Kiwami really isn't quite as different to 0. Problem with the 0 love is that for whatever reason, it means the rest of the games get dismissed as great games in their own right, with every other game being "worse than 0" which is a rather negative, and in my opinion false stance. Personally I prefer 5 to 0 anyway.

Glad your enjoying Kiwami :)

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had forgotten how wonderful some of these moments in Y3 are. Was just having a great time showing Rikiya around Kamurocho, now we're sharing some beers and having a pretty emotional conversation in Public Park 3.