• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Really? Looking at the release calendar I see that Kiwami followed 0, not Ishin ;)

Seriously. Ishin's end game blows 0's out of the water for me. And I loved 0's end game. Hopefully next year Sega surprises me and announces a localisation of it.
Well, Ishin has been showing up in the surveys they put up with each release as a potential localization candidate so maybe there's a chance.

On an unrelated note man I wish Koryuho would get a lozalization as well but that's never happening

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Ishin has been showing up in the surveys they put up with each release as a potential localization candidate so maybe there's a chance.

On an unrelated note man I wish Koryuho would get a lozalization as well but that's never happening
Boat has long since passed on those two games unfortunately, they'd need a remaster/remake as well since I doubt they can just port them to a new system, Ishin has the advantage of at least being a PS4 game.

On a somewhat related note, I should finally be starting Koryuho 2 this week. I've somehow not played it despite getting it day 1, and I aim to fix that mistake.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a fan translation project, but i don't think that it was completed. Edit: It wasn't. Here's an update on the project back in July (the project was first announced in 2014)
As for an update, here it is. There's been no real progress lately, and I didn't invest any time in it. But Overproc put up a discord, they seems very keen on working on this. KHH said he is still on board but he wants to finish translating ishin cutscenes before doing anything else, and I think it's a good thing (I'm waiting on those cutscenes to play the game myself).
Because I can't be involved as much as I have been at the beginning of the project, I'll give files and tools to the team so they can progress without me overseeing every step. I know I said I'll release what's already done a few months after Y6 release, but I'm always hoping things will pick up again, especially with all that's going on with the license. I hope you understand me.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Maybe i wont be playing Y5 at the moment as Fotns arrived early and ive been playing that. Going from the dragon engine to the older one takes some getting used to. The cel shading helps but i like walking around in first person.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
That's fair, for me though i love how the Yakuza games using the old engine run at a very smooth 60FPS. But ye it's nice to roam around in first person.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Pros of the old engine: That hot 60FPS
Cons of the old engine: TWO PROGRESS BARS EVERY TIME YOU SAVE UUUUUGGGH :P

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The saves thing never really bothered me. I got into a rhythm with it, though now the problem is it feels "weird" without it! But yeah, 60FPS feels so nice, Yakuza 3 and FOTNS feel so good to play because of that on the PS4.

Speaking of FOTNS, I was thinking back to the bar mixing mini game and a couple of tips to people on doing 3 star drinks (as the timing windows are a pain in the ass to hit):
Shaking: The easiest of the bunch - just hold your pad vertically and grab onto it tight and shake hard.

QTE button presses: You have to rapidly switch from all four of the PS4's face buttons on this one, so try and run your thumb over all four in sequence (the sequence always remains the same) and do it real fast. You'll miss sometimes, but its far faster to do it that way than pressing each button precisely.

360 Analogue movement: The pure evil of the mini game, this one is an utter pain in the ass (and hand for that matter). Only way I managed this one was to place the palm of my hand over the analogue stick and then rotate it that way. Its faster and more accurate than using just one finger to rotate it. Still is very close time wise, but I generally had 90% success doing it this way.

You'll spend a lot of time at the bar, between completion requirements and the many, many great side stories that take place at the bar.

Also, one other thing you want to do as early as possible is to visit the arcade. When its time for that questline to start you'll enter it and realise empty! From that point on when you get rank D treasure maps you have a very good chance of starting to find arcade machines. And when you get the Sega MKIII, once you give it to the guy, he'll hook it up to the TV in your room for you. So just go to your safe house in Eden to play it.

If anyone is going for the 100% and has questions let me know, I should still have most of it etched into my brain from the import version of the game!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and as I can't be assed to make a review thread, here is Metacritics page for the game so far:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/fist-of-the-north-star-lost-paradise/critic-reviews

Basically the consensus seems to be that its not as good as the mainline games but its still by far the best Hokuto game on consoles (sounds about right to me). A sequel with more time and budget could fix the issues I had with the series, but as I've said many times - I love the combat of the game so top marks for that from me!

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
If I wasn't at work for 15 hours yesterday (car trouble ugh) I would have made one :(

If it's not up by the time I get home from work later (~5pm CT) I'll go ahead and make one. Hopefully that's not the case tho >.<
purseowner has the claim for it, though they specify in their last post that they've been ill as of late (very sorry to hear), so it's possible they may not have been able to get to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Quick thoughts from Lost Paradise:
-I love having essentially unlimited heat actions
-Kenshiro having Hokuto Trigger right off the bat makes me happy
-You can get this game's tiger drop stupidly early but at least they limit its usage to Hokuto Trigger

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I finally had some time to play Kiwami 2 and progressed a bit, and I know I already said this, but the Dragon engine is frigging gorgeous. Also, entering restaurants and other stores without a loading frigging blows my mind each time. I can't wait this engine on next-gen.

Edit. Also, no matter what Kiryu says, he stabs a man with a knife and then uses his knee to push it deeper. That man is dead.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I finally had some time to play Kiwami 2 and progressed a bit, and I know I already said this, but the Dragon engine is frigging gorgeous. Also, entering restaurants and other stores without a loading frigging blows my mind each time. I can't wait this engine on next-gen.

Edit. Also, no matter what Kiryu says, he stabs a man with a knife and then uses his knee to push it deeper. That man is dead.

Remember, the laws of physics and human resistance in the Yakuza universe are different than our own. Point in case, Kiryu survives a strike from an Iron pipe at full velocity WITHOUT BREAKING A SINGLE BONE

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Highly doubt it. Infact, im 100 sure it won't. I think they will treat Judge like a Yakuza game localization wise. FOTNS prolly got a dub because anime games of popular IPS tend to have dubs. Judge however is a fully Japanese game in terms of city and characters ect. I feel it gonna be treated like a Yakuza game in every sense but name localization wise. Looking at the English trailer they seem to be also implementing honorifics so yeah, this feels in the same vein as the current Y0 and up localizations which means very unlikely to see a dub.
I also feel SEGA understands that what makes Yakuza appealing in the west it's how pure and unapologetically Japanese these games are and it wouldn't be the same to dub em. I however would not mind dual audio at all.

In Fact, i would be quite interested to see Yakuza get dubbed again however i feel if the series were to ever get
dubbed again they would have done it on a good reset point/gateway entry which could be Shin Yakuza but who knows.

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, only reason FOTNS got one is that the IP has anime adaptations, which many have experienced in languages other than japanese.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more interested on Sega translating the game to another languages rather than dubbing to English, to be honest. I feel the J-drama feel that Judge Eyes has would dillute with an English dub.

Also hello! I've been lurking this topic for months but I want to be more active here because I'm spending a lot of time with Yakuza lately. And Judge Eyes is like my more expected game right now.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'd be more interested on Sega translating the game to another languages rather than dubbing to English, to be honest. I feel the J-drama feel that Judge Eyes has would dillute with an English dub.

Also hello! I've been lurking this topic for months but I want to be more active here because I'm spending a lot of time with Yakuza lately. And Judge Eyes is like my more expected game right now.
Welcome. I'm pretty new to these boards and a long time lurker so im with you on that heh.

Completely agree with Yakuza games being text translated into more languages like French, Spanish, Italian, German act. I have a French friend which does not speak the best English and i would love for him to enjoy the Yakuza games with French subtitles.

It's such a shame that the only Yakuza game that got the MULTI5 localization treatment was the the original on PS2 (PAL) with the dub. Even the Shenmue I & II re-release got a couple text languages and the recent Valkyria Chronicles 4 was also a MULTI5 title. Maybe SEGA could reconsider expanding their localization standards with either Judge or Shin? I sure would love so.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome. I'm pretty new to these boards and a long time lurker so im with you on that heh.

Completely agree with Yakuza games being text translated into more languages like French, Spanish, Italian, German act. I have a French friend which does not speak the best English and i would love for him to enjoy the Yakuza games with French subtitles.

It's such a shame that the only Yakuza game that got the MULTI5 localization treatment was the the original on PS2 (PAL) with the dub. Even the Shenmue I & II re-release got a couple text languages and the recent Valkyria Chronicles 4 was also a MULTI5 title. Maybe SEGA could reconsider expanding their localization standards with either Judge or Shin? I sure would love so.

I'd say Judge Eyes, being a new IP, has more chances of getting a wider localization than Shin. But you never know with SEGA nowadays...

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Highly doubt it. Infact, im 100 sure it won't. I think they will treat Judge like a Yakuza game localization wise. FOTNS prolly got a dub because anime games of popular IPS tend to have dubs. Judge however is a fully Japanese game in terms of city and characters ect. I feel it gonna be treated like a Yakuza game in every sense but name localization wise. Looking at the English trailer they seem to be also implementing honorifics so yeah, this feels in the same vein as the current Y0 and up localizations which means very unlikely to see a dub.
I also feel SEGA understands that what makes Yakuza appealing in the west it's how pure and unapologetically Japanese these games are and it wouldn't be the same to dub em. I however would not mind dual audio at all.

In Fact, i would be quite interested to see Yakuza get dubbed again however i feel if the series were to ever get
dubbed again they would have done it on a good reset point/gateway entry which could be Shin Yakuza but who knows.

If we ever get a second shot at a Yakuza dub I want Matt Mercer as Kiryu

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Kiwami is good fun, but I don't think it's gives nearly as great a first impression as Yakuza 0 does.

Still very cool though, if this is correct.

Edit: FotNS is out now, when are we going to get the release date for Kiwami PC?

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kiwami will be fine. While it has some issues with some people regarding bosses, I think most might branch out to either Kiwami 2 or 0 and end up enjoying them more (especially in 0's case).

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to telling another thousand people that no, Kiwami is not the best starting point.

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
With respect to everyone talking about starting with Kiwami, my GF and I started the series with Kiwami about a month ago and just finished it; we had a blast! Really enjoyed the characters, especially Majima, Kazama, Nishiki, and Kiryu (obviously). We've got Kiwami 2 coming in the mail today, so super excited to dig into that. It's a little daunting getting into a 7-game-long series from the start but it seems like it's going to be fun.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I would've had a great view of the Yakuza series if I had started with Kiwami. The writing was uneven, some bosses were just not fun, the side stories weren't great for the most part, the games were so-so, and Majima Everywhere became something I dread. I think I would've been reluctant to try another one. I can understand Sega not wanting to give away the crown jewel that is Yakuza 0 for free on PS+, but I don't think Kiwami is a great first impression. Though I know this is subjective, as the post above shows.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Yo, shadowman16 you made a post earlier recommending when to do some trophies / miss-able type stuff in FotNS. I went looking, but can't find the post, do you remember where it was.
I got ya fam.
Sort of. I'll spoiler them just in case as one does have to do with a boss in the game:

Stare at Kisana for 3 minutes in first person viewpoint. Do this at the start of chapter 4? I believe. Basically to get this trophy its not enough to have Kisana in view and then just stare at her but rather lock onto her in first person viewpoint for the trophy to count. So basically you can get this at the beginning of chapter 4 when you need to speak to her. There are points later in the game you can get it as well.

Get all death cries: This was actually a problem in the Japanese version at launch as you could over level yourself to the point that you couldn't get one of the cries from a low level enemy. But Sega since released a item you can equip (belonging to Juuda) that either doubles or halves your strength. So this one isn't really missable anymore.

Cook Souther/Souzer/Thouser/whatever you call him: Now this one requires you to get an amulet whose power gives Kenshiro a flame thrower for a short time. So unlock it, then use it against him to get the trophy. Easy stuff. You may need to gett this one on your EX Hard playthrough though since getting it unlocked early on is a pain on your first playthrough. Plus you'll need a second playthrough for the EX Hard difficulty and max unlock requirements.

Speaking of which, for those going after trophies/completion points one of them requires Ken to heal loads of people on the streets. This is another annoyance as only one spawns on the map at a time and its completely random where they are (and random encounters resets the character location). So if you must get this, its best to do it on chapter 7. There is a point between long fights where you'll find a stretch of road where these guys spawn constantly, so just grind there before continuing on with the chapter. Far better than the alternative of trying to do it legit.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I've completely forgotten how addictive can be to search for all the locker keys. God, I spent hours in Sotenbori looking for them, and with the new engine, there are a lot of places where they can be

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sold some stuff to pay off a new game.

Came down to Yakuza Kiwama 2 and Spider-Man.

Went with the right choice.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
With respect to everyone talking about starting with Kiwami, my GF and I started the series with Kiwami about a month ago and just finished it; we had a blast! Really enjoyed the characters, especially Majima, Kazama, Nishiki, and Kiryu (obviously). We've got Kiwami 2 coming in the mail today, so super excited to dig into that. It's a little daunting getting into a 7-game-long series from the start but it seems like it's going to be fun.
Kiwami was genuenly fun. It's just that 0 is the Ocarina of Time of this series in the sense that, since it was the first most people played it was the one they liked better over the proverbia Majoras Mask that was Kiwami

J75

Sep 29, 2018
My import copy of Yakuza 3 Remastered just arrived. I got some small issues with it but i feel overwhelmingly positive.

My initial thoughts it's that it feels nice re playing the game at 60FPS. Game looks much cleaner now with the res bump though not completely jaggies free but way cleaner now.

My biggest gripes are that you can't pause cutscenes and if you exit to the XMB the cutscene continues in the background while on PS3 the cutscenes did pause when you exited to the XMB. Another thing that sucks about the cutscenes is that certain pre rendered scenes are still in 720p with video artifacts and all. Shame this wasn't rerendered like the Uncharted Collection but atleast they are the minority.

Combat is the other small part that I'm worried. Im used to how Y3 plays but the combat might turn some newcomers off once they get localized. It's definetly showing it's age even compared to the later PS3 entries.

Overall the port is very well done. I noticed a small almost unnoticeable audio issue with the text box that pops up sometimes and a split second DOF issue in cutscenes once but otherwise its perfect. Bring on 4 and 5!

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Did any of you buy the new Fist of the North Star game without either watching anime or knowing anything about that franchise? I'm considering getting it simply because its a Yakuza re-skin.

Anyone get it and really like it or dislike it?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
My import copy of Yakuza 3 Remastered just arrived. I got some small issues with it but i feel overwhelmingly positive.

My initial thoughts it's that it feels nice re playing the game at 60FPS. Game looks much cleaner now with the res bump though not completely jaggies free but way cleaner now.

My biggest gripes are that you can't pause cutscenes and if you exit to the XMB the cutscene continues in the background while on PS3 the cutscenes did pause when you exited to the XMB. Another thing that sucks about the cutscenes is that certain pre rendered scenes are still in 720p with video artifacts and all. Shame this wasn't rerendered like the Uncharted Collection but atleast they are the minority.

Combat is the other small part that I'm worried. Im used to how Y3 plays but the combat might turn some newcomers off once they get localized. It's definetly showing it's age even compared to the later PS3 entries.

Overall the port is very well done. I noticed a small almost unnoticeable audio issue with the text box that pops up sometimes and a split second DOF issue in cutscenes once but otherwise its perfect. Bring on 4 and 5!

You might be able to enable cutscene pausing via the options menu. There's an option there to skip cutscenes and usually if you go to skip cutscenes in newer games it pauses the cutscene first. So that might be worth a shot. No idea if it works though!

Combat wise, it actually opens up quite a bit if you do the Dragon Palace Side Story as soon as possible in chapter 5. As you can get all Komaki's moves at that point which really improves things quite a bit. Otherwise yeah it takes a little while to level up to a point where you have the better moves unlocked.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did any of you buy the new Fist of the North Star game without either watching anime or knowing anything about that franchise? I'm considering getting it simply because its a Yakuza re-skin.

I mean look dude, FotNS is just Mad Max + Bruce Lee movies + hilariously over the top ultraviolence. It's not some epically dense world like Lord of the rings or something lol

You're playing the game to watch dude's heads explode in a multitude of ways with Yakuza stuff to round everything else out. Don't over think it because of the ip lol

J75

Sep 29, 2018
You might be able to enable cutscene pausing via the options menu. There's an option there to skip cutscenes and usually if you go to skip cutscenes in newer games it pauses the cutscene first. So that might be worth a shot. No idea if it works though!

Combat wise, it actually opens up quite a bit if you do the Dragon Palace Side Story as soon as possible in chapter 5. As you can get all Komaki's moves at that point which really improves things quite a bit. Otherwise yeah it takes a little while to level up to a point where you have the better moves unlocked.
I will definitely check both that pause option in the menu and the Palace Side Story once i hit Chapter 5 (Currently in 4). Thanks.

I also think i have stumble across a couple substories already that were cut in the West. Man i'm glad we have come a long way in this regard.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
By the time you finish chapter 4 you should have at least hit Akimoto's first side story. One of the funnier (well if you can find
accidental incest funny, but don't worry they've never actually sealed the deal
side stories for me.

Plus you got the "learn to speak English" saga. These were also cut from the English release, and I actually wonder how they'd be localised for an English release. The idea of the difficulty behind these side stories is learning and memorising simple English phrases - as the game asks you the questions in English, not Japanese. Which obviously is incredibly easy if you actually speak English! I wonder if either they'll change the side story so the tourist you meet is a different nationality to English (thus still forcing English speakers to get the same level of difficulty from the side story), or just translate it 1:1 and do some cleverness with the dialogue.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Yeah those substories with Akitmoto where the ones i was reffering. Recognized both em characters from Kiwami and Kiwami 2. Shame they were cut since they are full cutscenes with voice acting and all to go with it but yeah i can see why.

And yeah, that English saga will be one interesting substory for localization. Looking foward to how the eventual Y3 Remaster localization will deal with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico

You can, Fist of the North Star in general is pretty easy to get into because the story is not exactly complex and Lost Paradise is kinda self contained. But at least reading a recap for some context doesnt hurt.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017

Zero knowledge but bought day one. Only dislike is the desert environment, prefer the colorful Kamurocho.