• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Judgment feels like such a ... terse title? Seems to me it should be something more grandiose, like say 'The Road of Judgment'.

The dual audio/sub thing is impressive, though. Has that ever happened in a game? Sheesh, it's rare in movies.

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing Fist of the North Star these couple of days and I don't get why they stretched the game so much. Just this chapter (10) I had to drive around the wasteland and comeback to Eden 3 or 4 times because there are rocks in the route only to then talk to an old man then have to go back to Eden.

I mean there are tons of content in the game to satisfy everyone so I do not understand why they did this. The main story is short but that's not a problem considering the amount of side activities so if they cut the grind and the fat it would have been one of the best games in the series.

Reminds me a lot of Yakuza Kiwami in that there are plenty of bad design decisions that drags an otherwise great game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, decisions like that are a bit baffling. I seem to remember the last chapter having some roundabout stuff before the chapter really gets going (its like a runaway train - takes forever to leave the station, and then just won't stop! The fighting in that chapter is non stop and fantastic, when it begins!)

Thinking back on the game though, Fist still has by far my favourite difficulty and boss fights of the series, now I finished the lot. With Kurohyou 2 coming in just below. I'm interested to see where Judge Eyes falls into my rankings when its released Thursday.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, decisions like that are a bit baffling. I seem to remember the last chapter having some roundabout stuff before the chapter really gets going (its like a runaway train - takes forever to leave the station, and then just won't stop! The fighting in that chapter is non stop and fantastic, when it begins!)

Thinking back on the game though, Fist still has by far my favourite difficulty and boss fights of the series, now I finished the lot. With Kurohyou 2 coming in just below. I'm interested to see where Judge Eyes falls into my rankings when its released Thursday.
Yeah I am playing the last chapter now and I had to run around the city when they could have just skipped most of it. Thankfully the chapter has been good so far when I got through it. I am taking a break because I died and have to go through the whole fight again but so far it has been really awesome.

Agreed on the bosses, it has some really cool ones with Jagi being my favourite.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
saw judgement had like 25k+ viewers on twitch earlier, all koreans streamers

must be pretty popular there

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
My copy of Judge Eyes shipped this morning. Probably going to take another week to get here, though, but I can't wait.

ZZChao

Oct 27, 2017
Played Judge Eyes for an hour yesterday and I just love the noir atmosphere and the chemistry between Yagami and Kaito. Really excited to see where it goes.

On another note, in November Ryu ga gotoku studio have published the results of a poll they've conducted in Japan on who the 20 most popular RGG characters are. I don't think they've been posted here. Some of the placements are quite surprising. They can be accessed at: http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/cp_vote2018/ or you can check them out below.

1. Majima (314,025 votes)
2. Kiryu (308,891)
3. Saejima (159,149)
4. Akiyama (158,287)
5. Mine (154,426)
6. Ryuji (152,451)
7. Nishiki (152,420)
8. Yuki (141,675)
9. Nishitani (139,640)
10. Daigo (133,951)
11. Makoto (131,053)
12. Shinada (100,452)
13. Ono Michio (83,813) (- so Kiryu again, I guess...)
14. Sayama (78,894)
15. Kashiwagi (68,505)
16. Munancho Suzuki (55,749) (!)
17. Haruka (49,826)
18. Watase (28,678)
19. Date (26,264)
20. Rikiya (15,897)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That poll was already discussed in length in its own thread. Basically it boiled down to people whining about Saejima daring to be ranked above Akiyama (how dare people have different opinions and not all like the same characters!)

ZZChao

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, ok did not see that thread. Thank you for making me aware of it. I'm just happy that Rikiya made the cut.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Rikiya really deserved to be higher. He's so damn good in 3. Then again I'm saddened by the lack of Shimano on the list. I'd have easily chopped out someone like Munancho Suzuki since he's such a lowly character. Guess people really, really liked that side story (I'm more of a pocket circuit fighter guy!).

I was also surprised at Nishitani's high ranking - he's a great character but I wanted him in the story even more than he was already. But going by what little screen time he got, makes sense he'd be ranked somewhat high. Yuki deserves that rank, she's so damn good in both 0 and Kiwami 2, pretty much one of the only hostesses that I actually enjoyed talking to in the games, her personality really shines.

Lastly - Mine was probably helped a bit by the remaster of 3 getting released around the time this poll was going on. Helps remind people of how badass he is (alongside his boss theme).

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm stuck on the scene with the cat and the man you were following. I focused on the guy and cat but nothing happens.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A question randomly popped into my head when thinking about something about 5 I disliked that also concerns 0.

Was Majima married before meeting Makoto or after. It was before, wasn't it? I remember seeing someone on this forum say it was after. Hate that plot point, I like to pretend it never happened.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
A question randomly popped into my head when thinking about something about 5 I disliked that also concerns 0.

Was Majima married before meeting Makoto or after. It was before, wasn't it? I remember seeing someone on this forum say it was after. Hate that plot point, I like to pretend it never happened.
Presumably after, but who knows for sure. I like the plot point, but it's handled so lazily that it feels like it wasn't thought out at all.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Presumably after, but who knows for sure. I like the plot point, but it's handled so lazily that it feels like it wasn't thought out at all.

Honestly I hope we will at some point do get a Yakuza 0-2 with Majima as the main protagonist and it would flesh out that plot point. Personally I like it too and want to know more.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I already posted the full arcade back on page 113...

But again...

Fighting Vipers
Virtua Fighter 5 FS
Motor Raid
Space Harrier
Fantasy Zone
Puyo Puyo
Kamuro of the Dead
UFO Catcher.

Plus the VR mini games (note, that means Yagami dons a VR headset to play said games, not that they use PSVR)

And there's a ton of other mini games. Basically your normal amount of Yakuza stuff but I'm not typing it all out again.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't the issue be more to do with the dual audio? As in, (weird) people who play with English dub would suddenly have to sing karaoke in Japanese unless Sega redid all the songs in English or provided different ones.
I doubt a potential dub had any pull on Japanese features. Probably too expensive to pay for Kimutaku to sing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, though now its mentioned, what would happen if Shin had both Karaoke and a dub. How would they handle that? Have both Japanese/English versions of songs? And make sure you get a cast that could sing said songs? Man... imagining Mark Hamills Majima singing... well I'd imagine it'd be like that time he was singing as the Joker in Batman (Dead Souls would have been bumped up to a 9/10 at least if that was an option).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, though now its mentioned, what would happen if Shin had both Karaoke and a dub. How would they handle that? Have both Japanese/English versions of songs? And make sure you get a cast that could sing said songs? Man... imagining Mark Hamills Majima singing... well I'd imagine it'd be like that time he was singing as the Joker in Batman (Dead Souls would have been bumped up to a 9/10 at least if that was an option).

Considering that the Japanese voice actors are recording the karaoke songs, yeah I do think they would have to (or should) also record the songs with the English voice actors.

That being said: If no optional English dub might actually mean a simultaneous worldwide release of Shin Ryu ga Gotoku (which would be a dream scenario) I would definitely take this over an optional English dub. Not that a simultaenous worldwide release is possible, but I have a feeling they're trying to aim for that in the future. They already said they pushed hard for a worldwide announcement with Judgment when the English version got confirmed the same day it got originally announced in Japan.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be a bit harder than just dubbing the karaoke songs with English due to the different phrasings the VAs would have to use to fit English lyrics in there. If they used a karaoke system like in Yakuza 0, they would have to alter all of the pattern match points to sync up with the English versions.

If mudai means just have the English VAs sing the Japanese songs, that would be the most straightforward (aside from long recording sessions trying to have the English VAs pronounce Japanese words in some passable way), though I'm not sure people who want to play in English would want Japanese songs.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be a bit harder than just dubbing the karaoke songs with English due to the different phrasings the VAs would have to use to fit English lyrics in there. If they used a karaoke system like in Yakuza 0, they would have to alter all of the pattern match points to sync up with the English versions.

If mudai means just have the English VAs sing the Japanese songs, that would be the most straightforward (aside from long recording sessions trying to have the English VAs pronounce Japanese words in some passable way), though I'm not sure people who want to play in English would want Japanese songs.

Oh yeah, I actually meant the English voice actors just singing in Japanese. Sure would sound wacky, but I guess that's what karaoke is all about (sometimes).

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Having beaten Kiwami 2... I like Ryuji, but the RGG Studio really fucked the duel of dragons theme by how they wrote Yakuza 0.

Ryuji was a more typical shounen villain, but Shibusawa was not only the more believable villain--he was the better villain.

Shibusawa had the better voice actor/seiyuu performance; he played the mafia game better than Goda did; he had the superior battle theme (Two Dragons is incredible); and "there can only be one Dragon of Dojima!" was a way better thematic subplot than "there can only be one dragon in Japan!"

I dunno. I'm not hating on Ryuji, in fact I'm saying this because I think the RGG Studio kinda did him dirty.

You definitely get a sense of how much better the writers of the RGG team have gotten. The 3 Dojima Lieutenants and the Yomei + Someya were all extremely great villains; the downside is they make Jingu and Ryuji really stand out against them, lol.

It gives me a ton of confidence for Shin RGG and Judgment, though.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

I wrote phonetic translated lyrics for Bakamitai, I'd happily do it for the others. Hear that, Sega USA? I work cheap!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I finally finished 0 on PC, my first Yakuza game. What a great game that was - but honestly I mainlined the story halfway through it and have no desire of returning back to it and do the side stuff. I bet there are some great side stories in there left for me to explore, but I fear I might burn out on it by the time Kiwami comes out on PC (hurry up, SEGA)

Also I was a little lost with all the names and ranks at the end and who is what now, but that's okay I guess.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
btL1myc.jpg

2018 GOTY has arrived. Probably should get myself too hyped up before I even play it, but man I can't wait to get started tonight.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
My copy of Judge Eyes has arrived as well. Just gotta finish a couple more games off before I start it (I'm hearing very good things about it though, which is promising!)

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to more impressions! I actually did resist watching any streams of it so far. Gotta stay strong!

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I've been playing Judge Eyes since last Friday. Despite starting from chapter 2 (carried over my progress) and playing a bunch I didn't make much story progress over the weekend.
I think I just started chapter 6 (or 7) before going to bed yesterday, but on the other hand I finished all sidequests I unlocked over the 20+ hours I spent with the game and unlocked 30 friends.
So far my impressions are a bit mixed. On one hand, the story has some interesting moments and I'm enjoying it, but I'm not a huge fan of Kimtaku's voice/face acting (he looks and sounds bored 90% of the time) and the amount of running back and forth for both main and side missions. I guess the latter is to be expected from a Yakuza game.
As for the new systems, the tailing missions get REALLY old very quickly. Chases are a bit more fun, but once you've seen one, you've seen them all (at least so far). To make both less frustrating, I definitely recommend starting by unlocking SP skills making them easier, especially since they're quite cheap.
I'm also not a huge fan of the battle system in this one, compared to 0, but it definitely became a bit better once I unlocked the combo speed+ perk.

All in all, some quirky side missions aside, the full version is just more of the stuff in the demo.
If you enjoyed that, go for it, but if you were not a fan of the systems in the trial version, maybe think twice about buying it.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Been enjoying my time with the game so far. Just got to chapter 3. I don't speak Japanese so I usually follow walkthroughs that this YouTuber named SaltyYen puts up but he only did a video for the demo and hasn't uploaded anything in a bit so it's a shame to not really know exactly what's going on but I'm getting through it and having fun with the combat.

As Hasemo mentioned above the tailing does get pretty old after a while and the amount of times the person turns around is absurd at times but oh well, overall it's a really fun game and the combat is why I play these games. I like just hanging out in your office too and spinning records and getting them from ranking up various friend events around the map, it's a fun little feature.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying my time with the game so far. Just got to chapter 3. I don't speak Japanese so I usually follow walkthroughs that this YouTuber named SaltyYen puts up but he only did a video for the demo and hasn't uploaded anything in a bit so it's a shame to not really know exactly what's going on but I'm getting through it and having fun with the combat.

As Hasemo mentioned above the tailing does get pretty old after a while and the amount of times the person turns around is absurd at times but oh well, overall it's a really fun game and the combat is why I play these games. I like just hanging out in your office too and spinning records and getting them from ranking up various friend events around the map, it's a fun little feature.

Best I can guess is SaltyYen hasn't uploaded anything because Sega are cracking down further on people uploading gameplay of the game onto Youtube. I know it affected one other prolific Yakuza uploader, or maybe its just that he's not finished the first PSP game yet and he's still working ont that

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
1.1.2 (I think) patch released yesterday and according to the patch notes it changed the range which can be recorded up to chapter 3, iirc.

ZZChao

Oct 27, 2017
On release day we were allowed to record up to chapter 2. They now have expanded that up to chapter 3. In a recent tweet they've also announced that they are going to expand that restriction further and that the second half will remain off limits.

Last edited: