Yakuza Community |OT| No Yakuza here officer

Oct 25, 2017
Better than Kiwami's combat? Interesting... I prefer the rush and beast styles myself, as well as the all powerful tiger drop. But each to their own. Then again I really like the combat in these games, its no Dante from DMC5, but I like it!

That Yakuza 5 box art looks nice, superior Saejima haircut for sure. Also, I promise mr. loneshark I'll actually remmeber your name this time around, I mean, he's the best character in the game after all. Also, never noticed it before but lol at Aizawa not even getting included on the front cover, chump continues to be a chump to this day.

Oh, and actually looking on Yakuza 5's webpage for the PS4 version it shows the activities you can do, and it still includes Taiko Drum Master. As a third party title, I was mildly concerned that it may not make the cut, but not to worry its still in. YEAH! Just wish it had more songs to play...
Gospel of Judas is still the main theme as well, which is great news. Just wonder if all the celebrity cameo's will make it in or if they'll get changed, will be interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
They use the same updated engine as 0 and Kiwami for 5, so most of the graphics got a subtle bump. Some bad bits if you look - the water in the opening cutscene (and by water, I mean oil slick) and some textures are unreadable. But some animations (like walking (up.down stairs is much better than before).

Trailer out for the PS4 release, in glorious 30FPS so you can really notice that improved framerate /s

Its a brilliant trailer though as its 5 minutes of basically why Yakuza 5 is awesome, showing off lots of mini games, another drama and story backed with music from the game and an overly enthusiastic announcer (to be fair, I'd be that hyped if I were narrating it). Keep in mind this is the most spoiler filled trailer for the series yet, bar maybe Kiwami 2's, so don't watch if you've not played Yakuza 5 before.

Oct 27, 2017
To everyone who finished Yakuza 6 and got really emotional: In case you didn't check it, but go to the karaoke bar and select the now unlocked song called 'Hands'. Prepare to get even more emotional!

And yes, the ending of Yakuza 6 made me really emotional. I remember thinking about it for several days and crying watching the credits roll over the screen. It's been quite the ride since 2006 that didn't just involve the game's narrative, but everything surround the series in the west.

I can’t imagine how y’all who have played Yakuza from the start felt when the end of that one hit. I’ve only been on board for some months and it still made me emotional...
Actually I only played 0 1 and 6. But I've played all three in like a month so I was very invested in the story of Kiryu.

When I have some money I'll buy Kiwami 2, I need more Kiryu in my life.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
To everyone who finished Yakuza 6 and got really emotional: In case you didn't check it, but go to the karaoke bar and select the now unlocked song called 'Hands'. Prepare to get even more emotional!

And yes, the ending of Yakuza 6 made me really emotional. I remember thinking about it for several days and crying watching the credits roll over the screen. It's been quite the ride since 2006 that didn't just involve the game's narrative, but everything surround the series in the west.
The ending got me pretty emotional but I wasn't ready for Hands. I love that song but it makes me so sad at the same time. I truly hope we'll see Kiryu again.

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I only played 0 1 and 6. But I've played all three in like a month so I was very invested in the story of Kiryu.

When I have some money I'll buy Kiwami 2, I need more Kiryu in my life.
Watching Haruka grow over the course of the series into an adult (and seeing everyone age, really) was such an unique experience. It definitely made the story of Yakuza 6 even more emotional for me, having to take care of Haruto and everything. I fondly remember playing Yakuza 6 last year for over a month before I finished it. Lovely memories.

Oct 25, 2017
5 had a pretty great open ending at the time, which totally got me, especially as it took Sega a few years to announce 6. And then 6's ending finished me off, it was so darn good even if I had a few issues with parts of the ending.

And much like the wait between 5 to 6, the wait from 6 to Shin RGG is really getting to me - I really can't wait to see where they are taking the series and Kamurocho next. FOTNS and Judge Eyes were wonderful side stories, but I'm ready for the next mainline game now!

Oct 27, 2017
5 had a pretty great open ending at the time, which totally got me, especially as it took Sega a few years to announce 6. And then 6's ending finished me off, it was so darn good even if I had a few issues with parts of the ending.

And much like the wait between 5 to 6, the wait from 6 to Shin RGG is really getting to me - I really can't wait to see where they are taking the series and Kamurocho next. FOTNS and Judge Eyes were wonderful side stories, but I'm ready for the next mainline game now!
I resisted my personal urge to import the Japanese version of 5, still hoping that Sega would release an English version one day (and they sure did thankfully, even if it was years later). Before it got released in English, the first details about 6's story were already out. After finally finishing 5 I could very well imagine how brutal it must've been to wait for the next game considering how open 5's ending was.

I absolutely can't wait for the next installment. I do believe we're getting some info at TGS this year.

I resisted my personal urge to import the Japanese version of 5, still hoping that Sega would release an English version one day (and they sure did thankfully, even if it was years later). Before it got released in English, the first details about 6's story were already out. After finally finishing 5 I could very well imagine how brutal it must've been to wait for the next game considering how open 5's ending was.

I absolutely can't wait for the next installment. I do believe we're getting some info at TGS this year.
I know it's wishful thinking but I hope that the new protagonist sings as good as Kiryu.

Oct 25, 2017
Its just the PS3 cover in colour (with a cigarette airbrushed out, lol!), they should just get rid of either Morinaga or Mayumi and replace one of them with Watase (fuck, remove both and get Katsuya or Kanai on that cover as well, or Aizawa I guess). Watase for sure deserves to be on the cover considering how damn badass the guy is in the game, really hoping he pops up again in Shin RGG running the Omi now.

Oct 28, 2017
Its just the PS3 cover in colour (with a cigarette airbrushed out, lol!), they should just get rid of either Morinaga or Mayumi and replace one of them with Watase (fuck, remove both and get Katsuya or Kanai on that cover as well, or Aizawa I guess). Watase for sure deserves to be on the cover considering how damn badass the guy is in the game, really hoping he pops up again in Shin RGG running the Omi now.
I'm amazed that Mayumi gets a spot on the cover, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah lol didn't even realized it was the japanese cover with the cigarette removed.
Yeah for sure, we need more Watase running Omi in the Shin Yakuza.

I'm amazed that Mayumi gets a spot on the cover, lol.
Yep it's ridiculous, she being in there instead of Ms. Park makes no sense.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it was a wild ride at the time wondering where the series was going next, I honestly forget what they said after 5, but seeing as we got Ishin and then 0, I genuinely had no idea just where they were going to go with the series after that (but on the bright side, we got two awesome spinoff games!)

Whatever we see at TGS this year, I can't wait for. Judge Eyes was a genuine surprise last year, and ended up being better than I thought it would be, so I'm hoping that Shin (assuming that's shown this year) will tap into the same hype. We'll see. At least I have RGG5 to look forward to in the mean time, replaying that is going to be a joy.

Oct 27, 2017
So, it's finally official: Judgment will release in the west. Unfortunately without Pierre Taki. This confirms two things: They're going to re-release the game in Japan as well, making the initial release likely a rare collector's good (just play it without updating the game I guess). Second: Most of the work has to be done in Japan, because they need to change the likeness of his character, record all dialogue anew and then make it lip synch for the English dub version. At least Sega of America doesn't have to re-record his character. Apparently the game will still release on time. I really hope that's the case. That's actually the most surprising part for me. I definitely thought the game would get delayed until the end of the year.

Of course it sucks big time that Pierre Taki is getting axed. I haven't played the Japanese version, but the new actor has some very big shoes to fill apparently. But at least we're getting the game and it's not getting cancelled. While I never doubted that, it's still good to finally have confirmation on that front.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No delay is great news. I didn't want the game crushed in the Fall lineup. No Taki is disappointing though seeing how damn good he was in the Japanese version. So I'll just keep hold of my Japanese copy for that (like my PS3 copy of 4 and Tanimura). Glad that Sega aren't letting the game die, its way too good for that fate.

Oct 25, 2017
Look what I did. I can't believe I stayed this long. Now I can platinum JE if I want to.

Long time no see! Nicely done on Puyo, its probably between that and some of the time trials that were the hardest things to do on the completion list to clear. Well, if the game actually forced you to finish Fighting Vipers I'd put that higher, but it does not. Wish I'd known that before banging my head against the BM brickwall for an hour.

May 8, 2018
I hope when RGG studio recast him, they will only redo the voice and slightly remodel the character.

I think Hamura's character model is really what makes him seem like a Yakuza boss, not necessarily his voice.

However, it definitely sucks for Pierre Taki, especially after watching his interview for Judge Eyes where he said he was a old school gamer and was very happy to be in a Sega game.

I hope when RGG studio recast him, they will only redo the voice and slightly remodel the character.

I think Hamura's character model is really what makes him seem like a Yakuza boss, not necessarily his voice.

However, it definitely sucks for Pierre Taki, especially after watching his interview for Judge Eyes where he said he was a old school gamer and was very happy to be in a Sega game.
I guess you could say he has a nose for gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Another new chapter is up for RGG Online, it basically deals with
Kagami - the second of the Omi kings. It has Ichiban and friends fighting through an arena tournament before facing off against Kagami. Pretty standard stuff, the highlights are Garry Buster Holmes showing up again, and another fight against a tiger (kinda wished they'd gone for a different exotic animal - we've had a bear and a tiger already!).

Now we finally have confirmation Shin RGG is coming to the PS4, I look forward to seeing how much of Online's story is used for the PS4 game.