• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hokuto boxart
DPOxJCEVwAEZ1g3
Holy shit

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if you guys are aware but during their Yakuza 0 stream last night (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/205843648) Scott and Sam from SEGA said that there won't be any Yakuza-related announcement during PSX next week. They also said that 2018 will be a "great year" for Yakuza.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Not sure if you guys are aware but during their Yakuza 0 stream last night (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/205843648) Scott and Sam from SEGA said that there won't be any Yakuza-related announcement during PSX next week. They also said that 2018 will be a "great year" for Yakuza.
I was expecting Yakuza of the North Star to get an announcement there (hopefully titled that too) but I guess not. I do fully expect it to get localized though.

Sucks that we are so far behind on these games. We got two this year but still have so much catching up to do.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting Yakuza of the North Star to get an announcement there (hopefully titled that too) but I guess not. I do fully expect it to get localized though.

Sucks that we are so far behind on these games. We got two this year but still have so much catching up to do.

I'd say we aren't actually that far behind anymore, well not compared to the past few years anyway. Its impressive that they'll have managed to get 3 games released in 14 odd months that brings us up almost even with Japanese releases. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for Kiwami 2, I'm guessing it'll be released either August 2018 or Jan 2019 (I just really don't want it released in the bust months at the ass end of the year, it'll get lost in the usual AAA offerings).

As for FOTNS, I really can't see them tying the name back to Yakuza, it just doesn't really roll off the tongue, plus Yakuza isn't a big enough franchise outside of Japan for the name to have that much impact. I wouldn't be surprised with them going with Fist of the North Star "Insert Subtitle Here" as the name instead. We'll see though, that's assuming that one even gets translated.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think Yakuza 6, Yakuza of the North Star and Kiwami 2 will all be released further apart than 0 and Kiwami 1 were just because I do not expect any of those to be budget titles. Shin Ryu ga Gotoku will probably be released in Japan sometime in 2019 so I think localization releases are going to remain an ordeal to SEGA America/Atlus USA for awhile.

Fist of the North Star is not too popular over here either, but I do hope the Yakuza name and font is kept because it is really important for SEGA to build awareness of the brand, especially as it has just recently started gaining traction. A title like Fist of the North Star: Like a Dragon would be pretty cool, but I think it directly needs the Yakuza name in there.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
They probably would want to have both franchises in the English title. It's definitely tough choosing one for this game. Maybe something like Fist of the North Star: Yakuza might work. Still doesn't sound great, but it shows potential buyers, that this is a) based on Fist of the North Star and b) has something to do with the Yakuza franchise. Put a sticker on the box saying "from the makers of the highly acclaimed Yakuza franchise" and everyone should get the right idea. But as I said: definitely a tough one.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
My guess for Shin RGG releasing is somewhere between December next year and March 2019. It all really depends on just how far along they are, I mean I'm very certain Kamuracho is the main setting for Shin, so asset reuse from 6 and Kiwami 2 cuts down some time in that respect. But on the same token I can imagine them maybe taking longer to give it the time it needs to properly reboot the series. That's why I think its not 100% impossible for quick ports of 3-5 to be announced next year to fill in the game between Yakuza releases. Or at least that's what I'm hoping will happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
My guess for Shin RGG releasing is somewhere between December next year and March 2019. It all really depends on just how far along they are, I mean I'm very certain Kamuracho is the main setting for Shin, so asset reuse from 6 and Kiwami 2 cuts down some time in that respect. But on the same token I can imagine them maybe taking longer to give it the time it needs to properly reboot the series. That's why I think its not 100% impossible for quick ports of 3-5 to be announced next year to fill in the game between Yakuza releases. Or at least that's what I'm hoping will happen.

I just hope Kamurocho will not be the only city in it, or I will probably not purchase it and pretend the series ended after kiwami 2 release lol
They should take all the time they need for it but they absolutely have to pick a new location and make some major changes to the game.

Narumi

Oct 25, 2017
I really want them to explore more of Tokyo or at least more of Shinjuku. So many places to see and I don't wanna be stuck in Kamurocho for the whole game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally up for a new location, but they need to actually put as much effort into it as Kamuracho - as all the other maps used in previous games are fairly small by comparison and none have the detail or quantity of activities to participate in as Kamuracho has.

However bear in mind that Ichiban's story has these two key plot points which mean Kamuracho will certainly be a major part:
Ichiban was a member of a Yakuza family based in Kamuracho and his first action once released from prison was returning to the city to find his father/mentor figure who also lead the Yakuza family he was part of. However said character stabs Ichiban in the back and is out to kill him.

Secondly, and far more importantly (and this is the reason I want to visit Kamuracho again) is that the Omi Alliance now control Kamuracho - the Tojo Clan is no more. Why? How? Who knows, that's what I'm most interested in finding out, and probably the main reason why I'm interested in Yakuza Online (other than the awesome looking artwork). Hopefully Shin will also dive into this plot point and explain what Daigo did to screw things up this time.

Also, like it or not but in terms of important "characters" in the series, Kamuracho is probably the most important right after Kiryu. Its always been the focal point of the series so I doubt it'll be gotten rid of so easily anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm totally up for a new location, but they need to actually put as much effort into it as Kamuracho - as all the other maps used in previous games are fairly small by comparison and none have the detail or quantity of activities to participate in as Kamuracho has.

However bear in mind that Ichiban's story has these two key plot points which mean Kamuracho will certainly be a major part:
Ichiban was a member of a Yakuza family based in Kamuracho and his first action once released from prison was returning to the city to find his father/mentor figure who also lead the Yakuza family he was part of. However said character stabs Ichiban in the back and is out to kill him.

Secondly, and far more importantly (and this is the reason I want to visit Kamuracho again) is that the Omi Alliance now control Kamuracho - the Tojo Clan is no more. Why? How? Who knows, that's what I'm most interested in finding out, and probably the main reason why I'm interested in Yakuza Online (other than the awesome looking artwork). Hopefully Shin will also dive into this plot point and explain what Daigo did to screw things up this time.

Also, like it or not but in terms of important "characters" in the series, Kamuracho is probably the most important right after Kiryu. Its always been the focal point of the series so I doubt it'll be gotten rid of so easily anytime soon.

It's ok, I understand Kamurocho must be an important place for the series, even in new games, but I just hope it will be the only location. After more than 10 years I think most of the former fans are kinda tired of it.
If they can't expand the map or add new cities (well done cities, not dead city like Onomichi...please!) and do other major changes they should just end the series and create something new in my opinion...

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing some of you guys' collections made me want to take pictures of my own collection and to share them with you all. I don't have all the things I'd like to have (I would love to get my hands on a Yakuza 3 Japanese PS3) but there's some cool/rare stuff in there:

PlqzslGm.jpg

r0e4JHqm.jpg

EQzfjSxm.jpg

rLPmDIRm.jpg

h1E21B8m.jpg

uKP1kiem.jpg

728LFDlm.jpg

YT99hm2m.jpg

GmplnBom.jpg

pASI2Kum.jpg

u85uVtbm.jpg

er8nj6wm.jpg

qi26puVm.jpg

YtQ8oj2m.jpg

cbEeipXm.jpg

SSDtJRRm.jpg

F0vTdwkm.jpg

2SAEmKtm.jpg

luuyPPGm.jpg

XX7KDXLm.jpg

kYpBDSpm.jpg

And finally, what is probably the coolest piece of my collection, the French Yakuza press kit:

3zjdwdTm.jpg

Last edited:

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing some of you guys' collections made me want to take pictures of my own collection and to share them with you all. I don't have all the things I'd like to have (I would love to get my hands on a Yakuza 3 Japanese PS3) but there's some cool/rare stuff in there:

Nice collection Romain!

Does anyone remember this magazine, which was included with the Japanese release of Yakuza 3 (at least it was with the copy i have) ?

23947443267_e27ecfcb15_k.jpg

Here are some scans

38781433902_8c841c258e_o.jpg

23947426007_1f87484069_k.jpg

38811796751_5fbce29fcb_k.jpg

38811782381_ecdddcbedb_k.jpg

38095895064_0497791e08_k.jpg

It's all in Japanese, but it's nice to have a location guide, along with additional information.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Demo Flickr Album (added more screenshots)

Last edited:

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
My 0 that I ordered on thanksgiving finally came, but I had already started on Kiwami and put -that- aside because I've got Xenoblade 2 now. Fuck me for buying all these long ass games.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I really wish that 2018 really have great Yakuza announcements starting with 3,4 and 5 "kiwami"

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Real talk: Kenzan is way overhyped by fans and actually sort of sucks.

I strongly preferred Dead Souls to it, but I am still happy I imported it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk: Kenzan is way overhyped by fans and actually sort of sucks.

I strongly preferred Dead Souls to it, but I am still happy I imported it.

Yeah, I don't agree with that at all. Dead Souls is technically broken in places, and Kenzan isn't. Dead Souls has camera and frame rate issues that can afffect a players performance at points. Those dudes with the hoodies and headphones? I remember them so vividly after all these years thanks to them being so darn cheap, if your not careful when fighting them your in for a world of hurt as you battle them and the camera at the same time. The Amon levels are pretty sucky in DS as well, the last one being a 90 minute borefest where the boss can kill you in 2 hits if your not careful and end up back right at the start with nothing to show for it (and that's if your leveled up properly, don't go in properly equipped and your dead in 1 hit). I mean, I loved Majima and Ryuji in the game (as well as some of the side stuff) but its really nothing special in my opinion. Story is super cliche and forgettable as well, bar one moment with Ryuji's mentor, but getting my favourite side character (Hayashi) to star in the story does win it some points with me. Oh, and the AI partners are useless in the game, Sega really shouldn't have asked Capcom's Dead Rising Team for help with coding those parts! (joking, but seriously why does a trained assassin like Arase suck so much in this game?)

Kenzan on the other hand had a story I really enjoyed (if a bit drawn out at times), the first game to do 4 different stances (ok, 3 and a super bare bones hand to hand combat stance), tons of unique heat moves, decent sword based combat, a very nice change in scenery and some great boss fights and set pieces. I personally put the game right near the top of the pile in terms of Yakuza games. Then again I also put 5 right near the top as well so tastes certainly differ. Only issues I really had with Kenzan stems from its age - namely the fact that you can still miss out on some content if you don't do the right things in side stories, or miss them completely. As such its the only game where I've not 100%ed the main game (missed a couple of side stories and ultimately missed out on Amon).

Both games have their charm though, thinking back DS had some pretty great side stories, likewise Kenzan had a wonderful mix of humorous ones (the UFO one takes the cake though). I just wish DS would have been released after Binary Domain so we could have gotten improved controls and gunplay like that seen in BD.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Dead Souls is absolutely more broken but I just found it to be a unique experience as a game. In a weird way I found it refreshing just due to how non-standard it's mechanics were. Binary Domain is way better and more enjoyable overall but it is a relatively standard game whereas there is nothing like Dead Souls out there (probably for the better). Dead Souls also has a pretty awesome soundtrack whereas Kenzan has only a few stand outs to me.

Kenzan is just a mainline game in a different setting with way, way worse combat if you are like me and prefer to not use weapons much in this series. The story was enjoyable enough but had so many weird realizations for some characters and I was really bummed that the game was lacking in cameos even though it presents itself like it would be loaded with them. Kenzan also brought back stealth missions and put them in the overworld. Screw that.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Welp, this along with no new major announcements and no Ghost of Sushi gameplay makes it official: fuck PSX 2017 :(

Last edited:

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
So I forgot to follow up from my last post here - I changed my mind and did not sell my PS3. I did get a PS4 Pro still and bought Yakuza 0 and 4 from the PSN Store as part of the Black Friday sale, and then found out a good friend who's a huge Yakuza fanboy bought me the steelbook version of Kiwami as an early Christmas gift. I got a lot of exploring of Kamurocho to do now, probably starting with 0 unless there's a good reason for me to go to Kiwami or 4 instead.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
So I forgot to follow up from my last post here - I changed my mind and did not sell my PS3. I did get a PS4 Pro still and bought Yakuza 0 and 4 from the PSN Store as part of the Black Friday sale, and then found out a good friend who's a huge Yakuza fanboy bought me the steelbook version of Kiwami as an early Christmas gift. I got a lot of exploring of Kamurocho to do now, probably starting with 0 unless there's a good reason for me to go to Kiwami or 4 instead.

Start with 0. It's a prequel to the first Yakuza game. You learn a lot more about the characters, their motivations etc. Also some of the callbacks in Kiwami to 0 are great and you couldn't really appreciate them if you would play Kiwami first. Playing Kiwami before 0 would also spoil you on some of the events in the game. So definitely go with 0 first if you can, not just because it's the better game.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm doing a blackout of Kiwami 2 news until it gets announced in the west
but came in here to say kudo's to those getting it at launch and hope it's a great ride for y'all =)

Makaveli

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
So got Yakuza 3 about a week ago after playing 2 on an emulator. It was...alright. Some of the slice of life stuff dragged on and felt like a jarring screech in the story, and I wasn't fond of the whole Joji thing. The final boss really made up for it though, I really dug the dude, and the music played during the fight was just awesome.

I started Yakuza 4 yesterday at like 12pm....and I just beat it a few hours ago. Good gosh that was a good game. All the playable characters were interesting and I found myself glued to what was happening. My only real complaint was the framerate but guess that's something I'll have to get use to. I'm gonna take a break for about a week then start 5, I heard it's a huge game so I don't want to get all burned out midway through.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo I just did the Miracle Johnson quest in Zero...hoo boy that's a lot to decompress. Which package did you all chose?

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I really do struggle to see what people like about Kenzan so much other than wanting to live out an episode of Samurai Champloo. I have not played Ishin yet but it just seems like it does all of the same concepts so much better than Kenzan ever did.

Dead Souls is a mess but at least it is a unique one!

It has great substories, great maps and is much better overall compared to Ishin which is one of the worst Yakuza game ever.
But how can you know? You never played Ishin and you are probably playing Kenzan without understanding anything of that game.

ZZChao

Oct 27, 2017
haha wow – Tastes really differ. I'm only halfway through Ishin as I do a thorough translation on my youtube channel and simultaneously read up on the historical background to put everything into context.
I think I enjoy it the most out of all the RGG games I've played so far. The setting is just realized so well and it's super fascinating to witness the challenges Japanese society faced during the Bakumatsu period through the lens of that game.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It has great substories, great maps and is much better overall compared to Ishin which is one of the worst Yakuza game ever.
But how can you know? You never played Ishin and you are probably playing Kenzan without understanding anything of that game.
Well I played the demo of Ishin so I have a general idea where it was going. Kenzan's base combat was always so trashy to me, especially as I prefer using my fists.

Also that is a weird assumption, I beat Kenzan at 82% completion without a guide.

If you have played them how do you feel about the PSP games compared to Ishin?

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Well I played the demo of Ishin so I have a general idea where it was going. Kenzan's base combat was always so trashy to me, especially as I prefer using my fists.

Also that is a weird assumption, I beat Kenzan at 82% completion without a guide.

If you have played them how do you feel about the PSP games compared to Ishin?

So you are comparing the first yakuza game on PS3 vs the first yakuza game on PS4, based on just the demo and the gameplay?
Now I see why you prefer Ishin lol

I liked the PSP games way more than Ishin.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I finally played Yakuza 0 yesterday after having only played the japanese demos of 0, 6 and Kiwami 2 and loving them but never understanding anything.

Man, I don't think I've ever fallen in love with a game faster. I only played about an hour but what a ride. Can't wait to get back home to play more.

So I guess that's it then? I'm doomed to buy every single Yakuza game from now on. Can't wait to see the rest of the games. Looking forward to progressing up to Kiwami 2 since it runs on the Dragon Engine and looks so good.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I finally played Yakuza 0 yesterday after having only played the japanese demos of 0, 6 and Kiwami 2 and loving them but never understanding anything.

Man, I don't think I've ever fallen in love with a game faster. I only played about an hour but what a ride. Can't wait to get back home to play more.

So I guess that's it then? I'm doomed to buy every single Yakuza game from now on. Can't wait to see the rest of the games. Looking forward to progressing up to Kiwami 2 since it runs on the Dragon Engine and looks so good.
Easy there buddy, you have like 100+ hours in front of you before you even think about jumping to your next game.