• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really appreciate that the localization team included the "Song of Life" title

Even without playing the game I have an strong feeling towards the game, since it made me realize how I have seen kiryu growing up to complete adulthood, even seeing his "daughter" having a son

Wasnt the original name the poetry of life or something like that?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you ever start reading an old manga just because your favorite game series is getting a crossover game with it that you're not even sure is getting localized?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Do you ever start reading an old manga just because your favorite game series is getting a crossover game with it that you're not even sure is getting localized?
c899af44-c843-4f87-82ed-19794c164f42.png

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hokuto is the only game were I want to play with a dubbed versión with John Cena playing as Kenshiro. I'm sure that he will do it for free.

By the way, any tips for beating legendary mode in Yakuza Zero?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Half of the appeal to Hokuto for me is the fact that its got the Yakuza characters voicing characters. Really helps portray the whole FOTNS/Yakuza fusion. Then again, I have no doubts that Sega would mess up a dub, they didn't have a bad lot of actors lined up for Yakuza 1, but the end result was not something I want to sit through again! (unless they make it Shenmue levels of bad, which still cracks me up to this day).

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame Yamashita's music won't be in the Western version of 6. Parts of the game will certainly feel different

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Hey Yakuza Era, I have a question. I've been going through the whole series starting with 0 and was trying to finish before 6 comes out, but now that I'm finally at 5, I think I'm on the verge of being "Yakuza'd out." I've always heard that this game is kind of a slog, so I'm wondering just how long is it if I only stick to the main story? I feel as if I postpone my playthrough for later I won't have enough time to finish it before March, so I kind of want to knock it out of the way sooner rather than later. Also if I do play it this way, will I be missing out on any particularly great substories, and possibly some that have a continuation in 6?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Yakuza Era, I have a question. I've been going through the whole series starting with 0 and was trying to finish before 6 comes out, but now that I'm finally at 5, I think I'm on the verge of being "Yakuza'd out." I've always heard that this game is kind of a slog, so I'm wondering just how long is it if I only stick to the main story? I feel as if I postpone my playthrough for later I won't have enough time to finish it before March, so I kind of want to knock it out of the way sooner rather than later. Also if I do play it this way, will I be missing out on any particularly great substories, and possibly some that have a continuation in 6?

Depends, if you only do the main story, maybe 35 hours, but I also consider the "job" side quests as main story, so there you have like 45-50 hours

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember any side stories from 5 getting continued in 6, most that I remember are actually continued from 0/Kiwami and not 5 (with at least two that will make fans of 0 very happy). The main game though will be spoiled if you play 6 through 5, since you get the ending of 5 played as the intro to 6, so just be aware of that.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I don't remember any side stories from 5 getting continued in 6, most that I remember are actually continued from 0/Kiwami and not 5 (with at least two that will make fans of 0 very happy). The main game though will be spoiled if you play 6 through 5, since you get the ending of 5 played as the intro to 6, so just be aware of that.

That's good to know, because up until this point I've almost felt obligated to do all of the substories just in case of potential easter eggs. If there aren't any big connections between 5 and 6 aside from the main plot, it'll be easier for me to ignore some of them then.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing to do is just clear the main game and then hit up side stuff in Premium Adventure mode. That way you can clear the main game and play 6, but still return to 5 in the future should you want to. 5 is an enormous game, way bigger than any of the other games in the series so doing everything as you go might do more harm than good if your feeling a little burned out on the series. That's why I personally make sure I take things slow and take breaks between games, just to be on the safe side :)

Makaveli

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I ordered Ishin. Should be here Saturday. Really looking forward to playing it.

In the mean time, I'm starting up Dead Souls. I bought it after finishing Kiwami a few months ago, so I might as well give it a shot.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend this to everyone for almost every game.
Absolutely. I'll do stuff as I go in the main story mode, but I'll never do 100% of stuff before clearing the story mode - for instance I always leave Amon for post game, as I usually want to grind a bit to power up, and I don't want to do that in the middle of the story. Plus doing some of the gambling mini games can be a bit tedious so I usually leave those until later (though thankfully Baccarat and Roulette aren't in Kiwami 2, just Blackjack and Poker so no tedious gambling in that game for me!)

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I do mix it up and just leave the busy work like finishing some minigames (or stuff that I actually missed) for Premium Adventure like hostess clubs (I mostly only visit them a couple of times over the course of the main story). I do like taking breaks from the story and just do mini-games or substories. However, once I reach a certain point in the story (mostly when a certain urgency happens) it just feels wrong for me to do "whatever" in the game world. That's mostly near the end of the game. That being said: Yakuza 5 was actually the first game I did get burned out on near the end of Shinada's part, leading to me putting the game away for a short time. I try to finish all substories before the end of the game, though. I also do the Amon fight before the final battle.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, normally I pick side stories when I feel like messing around but never really dedicate myself to hunt for them or anything like that.

For Yakuza 5 I was having such a good time that I did nearly all of them for Kiryu's chapter except the restaurant ones. The taxi ones were just too good. After that I ignored almost all of them until Haruka's part where I did a lot too and then just focused on the story.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
In the PS2 games, was there something lost in translation with Majima? He was a complete tosser in 1 and i just couldn't like him. I've always seen this cult of personality around him with fans and found it weird, considering he was such a shithead. Now i'm playing 2 and as much as he's still a nutjob, he's incredibly likeable and i've really warmed to him to the point he's probably my favourite character in the game.
So what's the deal? Was he as unlikeable in the Japanese version of 1? how about Kiwami? Why is he suddenly so cool in 2?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
He was written to be the antagonist you respect but still fight against in Y1. Y2-onwards he's pretty much the lovable insane guy who's got your back.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the PS2 games, was there something lost in translation with Majima? He was a complete tosser in 1 and i just couldn't like him. I've always seen this cult of personality around him with fans and found it weird, considering he was such a shithead. Now i'm playing 2 and as much as he's still a nutjob, he's incredibly likeable and i've really warmed to him to the point he's probably my favourite character in the game.
So what's the deal? Was he as unlikeable in the Japanese version of 1? how about Kiwami? Why is he suddenly so cool in 2?
Personally I always liked him but he was supposed to be a one off minor rival in 1, but he ended up being so popular that they tried to give him more and more screen time with every new game.

If I remember right, they didn't even want to give him a noteworthy voice actor but they chose his while the director wasn't around or something lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I was thinking about Majima earlier. He's a minor character just there to fight Kiryu in 1, but they have him reappear in Yakuza 2 and that really kickstarts his rivalry/friendship with Kiryu more than anything. He gets some brilliant scenes in 2. Then you have Dead Souls, Ishin, 0 and Kiwami 1&2 where thanks to his popularity he gets greater focus in the story. He's a scene stealer in Ishin, and then think up ways in Kiwami 1 and 2 to give him more screen time I assume to mainly appease the fans. You can especially see it in Kiwami where he goes from a real bastard (stories), to more of a playful aggressive nature (Majima Anywhere fights).

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I'll do stuff as I go in the main story mode, but I'll never do 100% of stuff before clearing the story mode - for instance I always leave Amon for post game, as I usually want to grind a bit to power up, and I don't want to do that in the middle of the story. Plus doing some of the gambling mini games can be a bit tedious so I usually leave those until later (though thankfully Baccarat and Roulette aren't in Kiwami 2, just Blackjack and Poker so no tedious gambling in that game for me!)

In my mind it's do the game first and then if you want to clear it, clear it. Don't try to get everything and then burn put on bullshit side quests (riddler trophies)

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I've become that Yakuza fan I always saw on The Last Site, going into every thread and saying, "Yakuza 0 is the best game ever! You gotta play it!"

I wonder if I had started with 3 or 4, would the series have resonated as much with me? Or if they hadn't done Zero at all and had just done Kiwami, would there really be any buzz? I really think Zero was a brilliant move on their part.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've become that Yakuza fan I always saw on The Last Site, going into every thread and saying, "Yakuza 0 is the best game ever! You gotta play it!"

I wonder if I had started with 3 or 4, would the series have resonated as much with me? Or if they hadn't done Zero at all and had just done Kiwami, would there really be any buzz? I really think Zero was a brilliant move on their part.

Sega definitely lucked out having 0 as the first PS4 Yakuza game released outside of Japan. It being a prequel definitely helped get people into the series, helps that its a brilliant game as well. Plus having so many people tweet out gifs etc. of the game helped get more people interested and aware of the game. It was just the perfect storm to get people interested in the series.
Plus having the first game remade and released off the back of 0 was great as well. I'll be interested to see how 6 and then eventually Kiwami 2 are received, since they are using the newer engine.

Oct 25, 2017
Sega definitely lucked out having 0 as the first PS4 Yakuza game released outside of Japan. It being a prequel definitely helped get people into the series, helps that its a brilliant game as well. Plus having so many people tweet out gifs etc. of the game helped get more people interested and aware of the game. It was just the perfect storm to get people interested in the series.
Plus having the first game remade and released off the back of 0 was great as well. I'll be interested to see how 6 and then eventually Kiwami 2 are received, since they are using the newer engine.

I'm mostly interested to see how those who first came on board with 0 react to 6. The comparison may be unfair due to the upgraded engine etc; but that won't stop people from complaining about how many things are different/missing. I also thoroughly enjoyed the story, but I know some folks aren't really coming to the series for that, and just want wacky stuff.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly interested to see how those who first came on board with 0 react to 6. The comparison may be unfair due to the upgraded engine etc; but that won't stop people from complaining about how many things are different/missing. I also thoroughly enjoyed the story, but I know some folks aren't really coming to the series for that, and just want wacky stuff.
Yeah, should be interesting to see for sure. 0 is pretty much the most content packed game next to 5, so going over to 6 which definitely had less might be disappointing for some. Though for me the engine upgrade itself did offset that quite a bit. No load times, fights in shops, better lighting, physics for fights etc. that's provided me with countless hours of fun in both 6 and Kiwami 2 so far.
I really liked 6's characters and quite a few set pieces in the story. The story itself had a couple of issues, mainly toward the end but I still liked it. I'm now fully looking forward to Shin RGG, I've been thinking about that game a lot lately actually, since we should finally get more concrete details about it later this year. I'm also excited to see even more content added into the next Yakuza game. Kiwami 2 added/brought back a lot of what I missed in 6, so I think we're going to have another big game content wise when the next Yakuza sequel is released.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
For me, I think shadowman16 is right -- it was a new game on the PS4 and it was a place where I could start without a lot of narrative baggage. Every time on the old site someone would make a thread asking where to start with Yakuza it would be five pages of arguing about which Yakuza was skippable and what wasn't. As an outsider who was interested in the series it was a bit daunting. I finally bought Yakuza 4 on PSN and then realized I couldn't even install it because my 60gb OG PS3 was full. So I was always interested in trying the series, it just wasn't the right time and platform. The silly gifs were never honestly a big incentive for me to try it, or at least, that's not what really interested me after I got a look at the narrative aspect. I think the gifs probably undersold the series, because they made me think Yakuza series was just wacky, weird JP games I should try sometime. I know that for some the silly gifs were a big draw though, so I don't want to speak for everyone.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I came for the visceral street brawls (which didn't disappoint, love 0's combat), but stayed for the remarkably compelling main storyline, and the myriad of endearing substories. Did not expect the latter two at all. Now, the thing most carrying me forward is needing to find out what drama is gonna happen next in the lives of these characters. I haven't started 4 yet, but I've been majorly looking forward to Saejima since completing 0, months ago.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeap, Zero is a brilliant game and it became a tie for my favorite with 2 (really looks forward to Kiwami 2, might import if I get too antsy).

The one thing that I really want is a Kiwami 3 for the West with the cut parts back in the game. I really have a soft spot for 3, like it better then 4 and 5 actually but it's a shame about the cuts. I imported Japanese version because of that.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Yakuza 6 made it to the top 10 of ResetERA's most anticipated games in 2018. We did it everyone.

yazuza6khp61.png

How long is the final part in Y5? This game is way longer than the others I played.
Pretty long. I can't recall if it's as long as Y0 but it's definitely comparable. Make sure to save before engaging it, and clearing time in your schedule.

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
So Amazon has Yakuza 0 used for 40 bucks. Has anyone ever bought used from Amazon? Am I missing out on any codes or anything?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Yakuza 0 doesn't have any codes or anything like that. There's free DLC that you'll get automatically by updating the game to the latest version.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So Amazon has Yakuza 0 used for 40 bucks. Has anyone ever bought used from Amazon? Am I missing out on any codes or anything?
The game doesn't have a manual or any DLC codes, so unless the case or disc is destroyed you'll be fine. I've brought used from Amazon before and have always been ok.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
So having just finished the main story of Kiwami 2 and having not played the original 2 as well so this is all new to me.

Well, first of all, things really go insane during the chapter with the Tiger.

And well. This makes me sad that we never see Kaoru again outside of the start of 3 (which I had forgotten about and just saw on the wiki there). She is best waifu :(.

But besides that, I loved Yakuza Kiwami 2 <3.

Now, in terms of games I have left to play is just Yakuza 6 (main series) and spin-offs (of which, the only one I have is Ishin)

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A bit random, but today I started Dragon's Dogma and remembered people saying the original release had a totally awesome if hilariously out of place title screen song, so I looked it up and surely enough it's pretty neat!

That voice reminded me of something though, ah yes, I knew it was destiny that I were to play this

These B'z guys are pretty good.

Also I've been reading Hokuto no Ken and boy, I never imagined the crossover would be such a nice fit, turns out Kenshiro is a Sad Dad™ who's lost everything but still fights for the children, just like Kazuma!

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
These B'z guys are pretty good.

Probably one of Japan's most successful bands, been around forever and people still love them. Also are surprisingly in Burnout Paradise tracklist, ALSO the only Japanese band in the American Rock hall of fame. #randommusicfacts

Any way, I can barely put Kiwami down. Loving almost every second of this game. Took a break from the story and did basically three hours of side quests last night lol. Other than the minigames with Majima which I could just not win, its all great. Would love to play them in order but Kiwami 2 isn't dropping in English anytime soon and my Yakuza Japanese isn't quite up to snuff to go all in on the Japanese version. Least reading wise.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yakuza 5 is currently on sale for $20 to Plus subs, $24 for non-subs.

This hasn't been on sale since 2016, so it's a great time to pick it up for anyone interested in playing.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I just wanted to share with you my latest acquisition. I managed to find a complete Yakuza 3 PS3 at a decent price. I'm so happy! I think it's the best looking PS3 ever released (the packaging kicks ass as well). Now I just have to find where to put it.

yToQN6E.jpg

fqpo2PZ.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I just wanted to share with you my latest acquisition. I managed to find a complete Yakuza 3 PS3 at a decent price. I'm so happy! I think it's the best looking PS3 ever released (the packaging kicks ass as well). Now I just have to find where to put it.

yToQN6E.jpg

fqpo2PZ.jpg

I was looking for one of those just yesterday. Very nice purchase indeed :) The dragon design looks so good on anything!

I couldn't get goons near bridges, gotta explore the whole town then. Game looks amazing but there seems to be a heavy motion blur, is that true?

There's definitely some death of field/blurring going on (way more obvious in the full game when your in Kamurocho) but nothing that annoys me too much. I keep marveling at the lighting to much to really care all that long!
As for getting near bridges, there are no invisible walls for battles this time in 6/Kiwami 2 so its just a matter of either getting into a fight near a bridge or leading the goons to one of the bridges. Keep in mind you need to do a couple of fights in the demo before the area opens up. Walk down the main street area where the demo starts and get in a fight with a goon (scripted fight), afterwards a guy wearing a purple suit will have a quick word with you. After this you can explore the entire map.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

I totally forgot that this special edition console exists. Great purchase! Looks great!