• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I just wanted to share with you my latest acquisition. I managed to find a complete Yakuza 3 PS3 at a decent price. I'm so happy! I think it's the best looking PS3 ever released (the packaging kicks ass as well). Now I just have to find where to put it.

yToQN6E.jpg

fqpo2PZ.jpg

Nice, how much was it? Still, jelly.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Yakuza 5 50% off on US PSN for PS+ members. I think non PS+ members get a slightly worse discount.

Tempting! Can these games be played peace meal or is the correct order the best way?

Also would love a NoClip documentary on this franchise. Their FF14 one was stellar, though their panning shots of "Japanese things!" for scene transitions was cheesy. Can't stop imagining him interviewing the staff/cameo stars in a hostess club or streets of Ikebukuro haha.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

NoClip doc on Yakuza coming in 2019

Yakuza 0 claims another victim. Good stuff! I'm looking forward to the Yakuza 6 thread in a couple of months time...

Tempting! Can these games be played peace meal or is the correct order the best way?

Also would love a NoClip documentary on this franchise. Their FF14 one was stellar, though their panning shots of "Japanese things!" for scene transitions was cheesy. Can't stop imagining him interviewing the staff/cameo stars in a hostess club or streets of Ikebukuro haha.

Some impact will be lost, as some stuff from 4 is picked up in 5. Not to mention the Kiryu/Haruka plot points were developed throughout the first 4 games, so if you've not played those games it'll probably mean less to you. But you won't exactly be lost and its still a plenty enjoyable game as a stand alone game.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Y5 a few minutes ago. Wtf at that final scene!! Can't believe it ended that way.
Please tell me some questions are answered in Y6.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Y5 a few minutes ago. Wtf at that final scene!! Can't believe it ended that way.
Don't worry, you'll get some answers in the first hour. It then asks a ton more questions that won't be answered for 75% of the game ;)

Anyway, finished the first hostess side story in Kiwami 2. It was the perfect mix of brilliant and disturbing. So, a good Yakuza side story then!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

I had a similar experience beating 5. And I was really happy that Yakuza 6 was already announced (for Japan) back then, because I couldn't imagine beating it back when it originally came out in Japan (2012) and leaving with so many questions. And it sure took a while until they announced Yakuza 6.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I instantly regretted finding out what happens immediately after the Y5 ending once I watched the Y6 trailers :(

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I instantly regretted finding out what happens immediately after the Y5 ending once I watched the Y6 trailers :(

Yeah, I got spoiled on that too. Was bound to happen I guess. So far I've avoided everything else about Yakuza 6's story though. Looking forward to March and it finally coming out in English!

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I was watching a translated Shin Yakuza prologue trailer, and I think I ran across a terrible Yakuza 6 spoiler

The Omi Alliance has taken over Kamurocho

I hope I haven't ruined Yakuza 6 for myself. :(

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no haha, I didn't mean because I got spoiled, I just find the game's premise frustratingly sad.
I was watching a translated Shin Yakuza prologue trailer, and I think I ran across a terrible Yakuza 6 spoiler

The Omi Alliance has taken over Kamurocho

I hope I haven't ruined Yakuza 6 for myself. :(
Pretty sure that's just the premise for Shin and not something that happens in 6.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just beat chapter 1 of Yakuza 0 and I'm really lovin it. Got it on sale, glad I did. It's my first venture into the Yakuza series, after which I'll jump into Kiwami (love the steelbook cover btw) and wait for Kiwami 2. Thought it'd be interesting to ask, what aspects of Yakuza culture would be neat to know before getting deeper into the games? Like things that Japanese people commonly know about or associate with Yakuza, their practices, that sorta thing.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize that Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth would be releasing so soon. I thought Yakuza 6 would be the first game I bought in 2018!

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks that Kiryu's face looks weird in Y6 in comparison to Y5? He looks like he had plastic surgery or something.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, Sega official channels are showing Hokuto ga gotoku later today.

Awesome stuff, cannot wait to see more :)

Am I the only one that thinks that Kiryu's face looks weird in Y6 in comparison to Y5? He looks like he had plastic surgery or something.

Not weird per se, but I feel he looks younger in 6. He looks visibly tired.worn out in 5 yet he now looks younger in 6. Guess he finally got time to relax in prison!

ryanfadholi

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I also just realized that Kiwami Japanese release was in early 2016, I assumed it was last year lol.

Still, didn't expect them to hire the most popular stars for hostesses.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And once again the stream isn't uploaded at 60FPS so I have no idea what frame rate Hokuto runs at! Looked really smooth though, smoother than Kiwami 2 is, makes me wonder if it has an outside chance at running at 60FPS since its using Kiwami's engine and not the dragon engine. Only another month until the demo, speaking of which I expect the demo to be the opening tutorial/battle shown in the stream.

Combat wise I skimmed the vid, I want to play around with it myself, looks very fast paced, the special Hokuto Shinken kills looked as badass as expected, and its nice having some air attacks for once in the RGG series.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember Ai Uehara being in Yakuza Kiwami, but she's definitely in 0 (one of the platinum hostesses you recruit in the Cabaret Club Management subplot). The JAV actresses get added to the Yakuza games because they were already popular. For 0 they had a massive poll, asking the fans who their favorites were. The winners ended up being featured in the game in several different roles (either hostesses or other characters).

I remember when there was "surprised talk" over the fact that Rio, a back then former (or maybe she was still active, I don't remember) JAV actress was featured as a hostess in Yakuza 4. Shortly afterwards another one of the in-game hostesses (Erena Aihara), who used to appear on Japanese TV shows before Yakuza 4, ended up shooting a couple of AV movies after the game was released. From then the AV industry and Sega / the Yakuza team worked closer together.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HGG looks incredible, wow, so cool (and hilarious). Loved how the bartending mini game is played, haha.

I hope they can comment on performance before release at all so I can stop hoping for 60FPS lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
HGG looks incredible, wow, so cool (and hilarious). Loved how the bartending mini game is played, haha.

I hope they can comment on performance before release at all so I can stop hoping for 60FPS lol.
I'm doubting they'll comment on performance to be honest. They never mentioned anything about Ishin's PS4 performance (had to find that one out via the demo), likewise I've never seen any official info regarding 6/Kiwami 2's PS4 Pro advantages (again, had to find it out via the demo that the Pro eliminated screen tearing and bumped the res to 1080p for 6). Guessing it'll be down to the demo again to confirm these details :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah it never occurred to me that they simply don't talk about performance at all... That's a pain. Do we have confirmation of a demo coming out at all at least?

OMG.
I skipped around in the vid, so I've no idea if performance was talked about. I'm just going on their past track record. Speaking of which, yes a demo is coming and I assume it'll go up about 1 week before the release of the full game as with other Yakuza games. I'm especially hyped to try out this one :)

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA

This is so great!

I'm playing Yakuza 4 again, and while I'm definitely remembering more of this game than my initial play through of 3, it still feels pretty fresh. I barely touched the character's mini games in 4, so I'll definitely be diving into that this time around. Just got to Akiyama's hostess club stuff. Also, I played Virtua Fighter pachinko for 3 god damned hours the other night. I was like 600 attempts w/o a jackpot at one point. Got frustrated and stopped, then came back like 10 minutes later and immediately hit a bunch of jackpots and got that pachinko trophy lol. Machine 18 (I think that was the number) was totally rigged! I demand to speak with management.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Pachinko in Yakuza... I absolutely hate how its basically luck based but I just can't stay mad at it! The production quality on the machines (especially the VF one) are top notch. Its one of the things I love so much about Yakuza.

I've been working on Kiwami 2 a lot over the last couple of days. Not much story done (had some great scenes with Kiryu and Karou relaxinig). I've been focusing on the cabaret club management side of things. Its almost the same as it was in Yakuza 0 in format, not that I'd say that's a bad thing! Its easy to jump into and the story is engaging, plus the hostess stories have been entertaining so far.(I'm basically enjoying this far more than the management mode and hostesses they used back in the PS2 version). Also, I got my best hostess back again in the GP mode (the obatarian!), she's just as great in this mode as in 0.

Also spent more time doing some more of the side stuff. Almost done with Baseball unlocking everything, just a couple of trials left to complete. Played more Mahjong (in Osaka this time) and had a heck of a time winning any matches, the tiles were definitely not in my favour this time! Took quite a while, but then I managed to get a bunch of decent hands in a row and finally get a decent win. Also, I ended up spending a ton of time playing Virtual On in the arcade, finally managed to clear arcade mode. I had a blast clearing the game, definitely one of my favourite additions to the arcade in the series. Hopefully we can get something like Daytona added in the next game.

Lastly, I've been casually clearing some of the extra combat missions that you undertake from Debolah. Basically turns Yakuza into a SoR/Final Fight style game giving you linear routes to clear, with plenty of enemies and weapons along the way. I've seen polarising views on this part of things, I personally am really enjoying them due to it being a throw back to older games in the genre, and there is one particular mission I cleared yesterday that I really, really liked. Basically the mission starts in the Poppo Mart that's just a few doors up from Serena. You fight a bunch of goons in the convenience store (trashing the place as you go!) before exiting onto the streets, fighting your way through half the town with the game guiding you to the Poppo Mart at the south exit to Pink Street. You then of course end up in a big brawl in that Poppo Mart as well!

Now I'll actually power on more with the story, as I've really been neglected as of late and I've got one of the best set pieces in the game coming up very soon!

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Tanimura's segment in Y4. Thus far I'm probably liking this more than 0. The back half of Saejima was a little rough, but Akiyama and Tanimura's stuff was so good I hardly care. The gameplay here feels better too. I don't know, but hit reactions seem stiffer in a way that makes the combat feel a lot more impactful, and the focus on juggles adds some playfulness into the game that I thought was missing in 0. I don't miss style switching at all. Much like in Kiwami before I played this, I think the Exp system is much better than the single pool money system because money is just too easy to cheese which makes doing side stuff other than the Club pointless after about a third into the game. Here I have both a narrative and ludic incentive to continue doing side stuff so I can better the character I'm playing at the time. The only real snag thus far is that the character to character transitions are kind of annoying due to you not being warned about them and it ending that characters arc completely. I would have loved to keep messing around with akiyama (GOAT Yakuza character) more but bang Saejima out of nowhere =/

Gotta say though, theres hardly a better way to spend a weekend than with a Yakuza game and a case of beer. Already have the Y6 premium edition pre-ordered, and can't wait to bust out that damned beer glass to complement the series and my drinking at the same time xD

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Here I have both a narrative and ludic incentive to continue doing side stuff so I can better the character I'm playing at the time. The only real snag thus far is that the character to character transitions are kind of annoying due to you not being warned about them and it ending that characters arc completely. I would have loved to keep messing around with akiyama (GOAT Yakuza character) more but bang Saejima out of nowhere =/

Gotta say though, theres hardly a better way to spend a weekend than with a Yakuza game and a case of beer. Already have the Y6 premium edition pre-ordered, and can't wait to bust out that damned beer glass to complement the series and my drinking at the same time xD

I seem to recall each character gets 4 chapters before the character switch occurs. So once you hit chapter 4 of Tanimura you can expect to switch to the next character shortly. The good news though is that, if its the chapter I remember (though my memory on both Yakuza 2 on 4 is spotty at best), it should be brilliant. Its got one long, awesome set piece that's brilliant in its own right, and reminds me of Shenmue in a few ways at the same time. Enjoy!

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall each character gets 4 chapters before the character switch occurs. So once you hit chapter 4 of Tanimura you can expect to switch to the next character shortly. The good news though is that, if its the chapter I remember (though my memory on both Yakuza 2 on 4 is spotty at best), it should be brilliant. Its got one long, awesome set piece that's brilliant in its own right, and reminds me of Shenmue in a few ways at the same time. Enjoy!
Yeah I realized that after Saejima so I did as much Tanimura awesomeness as I could before the ending bit. It's kind of weird, I really liked Saejima's brutal gameplay and the prison section was awesome, but man that second section just wasn't that good. I won't hate on it too much though, because honestly in a series as formulaic as Y Saejima's stuff was weird and different in a way that I could respect even if it wasn't as solid in the same way the beaten path characters like Akiyama and Tanimura's chapters were.

And yeah, fucking pumped for Kiryu's stuff.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I realized that after Saejima so I did as much Tanimura awesomeness as I could before the ending bit. It's kind of weird, I really liked Saejima's brutal gameplay and the prison section was awesome, but man that second section just wasn't that good. I won't hate on it too much though, because honestly in a series as formulaic as Y Saejima's stuff was weird and different in a way that I could respect even if it wasn't as solid in the same way the beaten path characters like Akiyama and Tanimura's chapters were.

And yeah, fucking pumped for Kiryu's stuff.

Combat wise (and in terms of hair styles) I think Seijima is much better in 5. I know people really disliked his part in 5, but I personally loved it (well, bar the pacing at the beginning, could have done with being a bit shorter).

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, currently playing Yakuza 0 and loving it. I just finished saving Makimura Makoto as Majima and have just returned to Kiryu. How far through the main quest am I without spoilers?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, currently playing Yakuza 0 and loving it. I just finished saving Makimura Makoto as Majima and have just returned to Kiryu. How far through the main quest am I without spoilers?
Sounds like your on chapter 5 I think? There are
chapters in the game, so assuming I'm right on where you are, you've basically just finished the intro to the game. The best is yet to come!
If your just doing the main game, you've got the best part of 20 hours left, if your planning on doing all of the side stuff/trophies it'll take you 100+ hours.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like your on chapter 5 I think? There are
chapters in the game, so assuming I'm right on where you are, you've basically just finished the intro to the game. The best is yet to come!
If your just doing the main game, you've got the best part of 20 hours left, if your planning on doing all of the side stuff/trophies it'll take you 100+ hours.

Jesus! Welp, better get cracking then. And I do plan to seek out all the side quests. Some of the ones I've done so far have been great

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA
Hopefully we can get something like Daytona added in the next game.

That'd be so amazing!

Yeah buddy! I do the same thing except like, every other night. xD I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM I SWEAR. Seriously though beer, Yakuza, and throw in some of the food you eat in game whether it's ramen, curry, etc. -- pretty much a perfect night.