• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So uh... Saejima's 2nd chapter certainly was... something.

WTF at him climbing on top of Haruka and Kiryu just kinda shrugging it off. And then Kiryu leaves her alone with him because he only needs 5 seconds with a guy to know he wouldn't hurt a kid... The same wonderful judge of character that got stabbed after offering friendship at the end of the last game.

He is pretty fun to play as though.

Also, do we know the current status of a Yakuza of the North Star localization? I made a Japanese account to play the demo and it was pretty rad.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Also, do we know the current status of a Yakuza of the North Star localization? I made a Japanese account to play the demo and it was pretty rad.

Nothing yet. We might hear something once Kiwami 2 gets released unless Sega do a surprise E3 announcement. I half wonder if they will skip over it for a quicker Shin RGG announcement instead as FOTNS is a pretty short/small side game in comparison to other Yakuza games (and should it get released, I think launching it at a cheaper price would be a wise move)
That said, the combat is really, really awesome in Fist and I enjoyed it so darn much. Coupled with the large number of enemies you fight in random battles it really lets you have fun with the battle system. Should they do a sequel to it, I just hope for mainly just a longer story mode with more long battles and that's it. The base combat system is super solid, it just needs more content.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
As cool as Hokuto looks, if it means sacrificing it in the States to expedite getting Shin Ryu sooner I'm all about it. I wanna see the Dragon Engine at its next level.

Ein

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing all of the localized mainline Yakuza games, I can now rank them.

0, 2, Kiwami, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Why don't I like 6 all that much? Well 6 takes the worst story telling tropes from the series and gets them all into one game. Especially in regards to Haruka, who just the game before broke out of her mold of just being a plot device to motivate Kiryu ( and the player, I guess ) and undoing her really solid character arc in 5. Only thing I really enjoyed about 6 was how seamless the world is. Walking into stores with no loading times after five games was kind of mind blowing.

I don't think it was a bad game. It was the worst in the series for me, though.

I can't wait to play Kiwami 2. In the mean time I'll try and platinum 0 and Kiwami.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Ishin for the past few days, and I'm really enjoying it. My Japanese isn't amazing, and Yakuza games are always particularly difficult with their use of dialects I'm unfamiliar with and all the tough guy slang. Ishin is obviously an even bigger challenge with all the old Japanese, and I thought I would be pretty OK with it after having played through both Dai Gyakuten Saiban games last year, but Ishin is a whole different beast. I thought the modern-day Hiroshima accents were hard in Y6, but now I'm up against the local patois of southern Shikoku from 150 years ago. It's slow going, with constant trips to the dictionary, but it's good practice, at least :P

(Dai Gyakuten Saiban did prepare me for the Natsume Souseki Sub Story in Ishin, though.)

I suppose I'd always expected this game to be smaller in scope than a standard Yakuza seeing as it's 'just' a spinoff. I think I expected something like Dead Souls. So I'm pleasantly surprised to see that, nope, this is a full-ass Yakuza game for real. I guess compared to 5 it's a little less outrageous, but I feel like this is still a classic 150+ hour game if you want that Platinum Trophy. There's only one playable character (so far?), but you've got four combat styles available at once, what seems like four or five cities or towns, the usual slew of Sub Stories and side content and its own equivalent of Yakuza 0's CP to gather and exchange for upgrades.

And I'm really liking it so far. I'm still early in (just had the naked fistfight/grabass against Ryuji/Kichinosuke), but I'm loving how the story is unfolding (NINJA ASSASSINS, BABY!) and it's such a great idea to keep the classic Yakuza characters but 'recast' them as different people. Ryouma is fairly similar to Kiryu, but just different enough to provide some fun moments when he does something very un-Kiryu, and it's so much fun seeing how they've used each character and wondering who's going to show up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Ishin for the past few days, and I'm really enjoying it. My Japanese isn't amazing, and Yakuza games are always particularly difficult with their use of dialects I'm unfamiliar with and all the tough guy slang. Ishin is obviously an even bigger challenge with all the old Japanese, and I thought I would be pretty OK with it after having played through both Dai Gyakuten Saiban games last year, but Ishin is a whole different beast. I thought the modern-day Hiroshima accents were hard in Y6, but now I'm up against the local patois of southern Shikoku from 150 years ago. It's slow going, with constant trips to the dictionary, but it's good practice, at least :P

(Dai Gyakuten Saiban did prepare me for the Natsume Souseki Sub Story in Ishin, though.)

I suppose I'd always expected this game to be smaller in scope than a standard Yakuza seeing as it's 'just' a spinoff. I think I expected something like Dead Souls. So I'm pleasantly surprised to see that, nope, this is a full-ass Yakuza game for real. I guess compared to 5 it's a little less outrageous, but I feel like this is still a classic 150+ hour game if you want that Platinum Trophy. There's only one playable character (so far?), but you've got four combat styles available at once, what seems like four or five cities or towns, the usual slew of Sub Stories and side content and its own equivalent of Yakuza 0's CP to gather and exchange for upgrades.

And I'm really liking it so far. I'm still early in (just had the naked fistfight/grabass against Ryuji/Kichinosuke), but I'm loving how the story is unfolding (NINJA ASSASSINS, BABY!) and it's such a great idea to keep the classic Yakuza characters but 'recast' them as different people. Ryouma is fairly similar to Kiryu, but just different enough to provide some fun moments when he does something very un-Kiryu, and it's so much fun seeing how they've used each character and wondering who's going to show up.

Glad your enjoying the game so far :) Its only got Ryoma as a playable character, but the battle systems are super fleshed out. Just one word on those though - unlocking all the awesome moves can take time, its best to do as much side stuff throughout the game as you can, that way when you reach later chapters you'll easily be leveled enough to use much of the awesome attacks. Another point on that though, getting the plat is a pain in the ass in Ishin. Forging all the swords takes a long assed time, thanks to some super rare drops in the game (later battle dungeons become super hard) so even if your only going after the secret boss it'll take a while. Definitely one of the tougher Yakuza's released recently and definitely the longest time to play in the series!

As for the story, well your still in the slow part of the game. It gets really wild and awesome in the second half of the game, can't wait to hear what you think of those bits, as they are among my favourite bits in the entire series personally :)

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Joong-Hi is a fun villain

much better than Mine 2.0. I don't even remember dudes name in Y6 I just call him 'Mine again'

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
My playthrough of Yakuza 4 continues with the end of Saejima's arc and the introduction to Tanimura.

Having played through 0 I feel the impact of Majima's "non-betrayal" revelation is lessened somewhat. But then again, who would honestly believe for a second that everyone's favorite crazy boi would betray his bro.

Tanimura seems interesting. I'll have to get used to his counter-based fighting style after Saejima's "hold triangle to win" playstyle. Also game I will never learn to play mahjong and you can't make me.

I'm kind of just making a beeline through the main story so I can get to 6 so I'm definitely missing out on a good amount of the experience, but whatevs. After playing through 6 (or maybe after Kiwami 2) I intend to go back to the start with 0 and enjoy the postgames at my leisure.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I finished Yakuza 6 and I've been thinking about the game a lot. This is a special game and really enjoyed it. After a few days I picked it up again for some free play doing baseball and such. Today I picked up Yakuza 0 and am starting that up.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
So this is old, but any of y'all check out actual yakuza reviewing Yakuza 3? The guy from Tokyo Vice got three old Tokyo gangsters to give their impressions of RGG after playing it. They said it was pretty spot-on apart from Kiryu dressing like a punk instead a near-patriarch, lol.

I just finished Chapter 6 of 0. Man... that's some serious characterisation going on.

Nishiki and Kiryu parting ways. I can see these two branching off in an unfortunate direction. Almost destined villain territory for Nishiki. This is my first Yakuza though, so I don't know.
oh man

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So this is old, but any of y'all check out actual yakuza reviewing Yakuza 3? The guy from Tokyo Vice got three old Tokyo gangsters to give their impressions of RGG after playing it. They said it was pretty spot-on apart from Kiryu dressing like a punk instead a near-patriarch, lol.

oh man
I love that article. I first found it right after I finished 3 myself and it was pretty insightful, haha.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That line about the Yakuza owning an orphanage in the review cracks me up every time. Its a really interesting article that fans should read if they've not done so already.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Tachibana has the bat tattoo... holy cow. Does that mean, he's the guy who did Makato in like that? That idea feels so off but makes it all the more surprising.
Also, how the hell did Kuze survive getting hit by a car going full speed, freaking demon. Serena owner lady, Reina is best lass.
Because Kuze
is the best fucking bulldog in the Yakuza series, that's why

Oct 30, 2017
Finally got around to finishing 0 and starting Kiwami after they sat on the back burner for other titles.

One change I noticed that I don't like: the kiwami heat finisher things. Games like cool, you whittled a boss down to almost nothing but wait he's healing himself quick switch to this other style, hope you have full heat, and do this action, or else repeat a third of the fight.

One boss in particular can go die in a fire because of it. And numerous other reasons during that fight.

its Shimano. 25 minutes of punch get grabbed repeat

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I just finished Y6. Despite not really being into the combat changes and a lack of sidestory content, I actually enjoyed the story and the closure it offered. The only Yakuza games I've actually beaten are 0, Kiwami, 4 and now 6. I do have 5 and I may go back to that one day, but it feels like kind of a slog.
I did like how some of the sidequests involved returning sidequest characters. I thought that added to this being the finale of Kiryu's saga. I am very sad that there was not much Goro in this one, though. I love him, especially in 0. The faking death thing got me, I thought he was really gone. I knew Kiyomi was still alive though. But I did like how Kiryu's story ended. Sacrificing his happiness basically to allow his loved ones to live a happy life out of danger. The letter turning out to be addressed to Daigo was also a nice touch. I have no qualms with how this ended, and I feel rewarded for seeing Kiryu's story through.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. haha.

I'll comb through this thread, but how hard is it to go through FOTNS using FAQs/guides if you don't know japanese? Might pick it up while I'm in Japan a few months from now if the price is right.

FOTNS was on deep discount last I saw, could probably snag it pretty cheap.

As for your main question. Not hard. Its got a couple of twists (as does every Yakuza game) but if you know FOTNS then despite it being an original story, its very easy to understand. Its also a shorter game, and I felt the story was more straight forward than other Yakuza games. I can link you to some fantastic guides if you need them, there's plenty of resources out there to enjoy it even if you don't know Japanese.
Only bit that is a slog is the plat trophy - there are a couple of bits that require insane luck/grinding to finish. Certainly glad I have the plat on it now!

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Tachibana has the bat tattoo... holy cow. Does that mean, he's the guy who did Makato in like that? That idea feels so off but makes it all the more surprising.
Also, how the hell did Kuze survive getting hit by a car going full speed, freaking demon. Serena owner lady, Reina is best lass.
Kuze is a tank! I love the bastard

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
FOTNS was on deep discount last I saw, could probably snag it pretty cheap.

As for your main question. Not hard. Its got a couple of twists (as does every Yakuza game) but if you know FOTNS then despite it being an original story, its very easy to understand. Its also a shorter game, and I felt the story was more straight forward than other Yakuza games. I can link you to some fantastic guides if you need them, there's plenty of resources out there to enjoy it even if you don't know Japanese.
Only bit that is a slog is the plat trophy - there are a couple of bits that require insane luck/grinding to finish. Certainly glad I have the plat on it now!
Thanks! I may hit you up if I end up picking it up. I actually never have time to plat any of these games so I'm not too worried about that part, but good to know I should be fine with a guide!

Zumbi

Feb 8, 2018
One change I noticed that I don't like: the kiwami heat finisher things. Games like cool, you whittled a boss down to almost nothing but wait he's healing himself quick switch to this other style, hope you have full heat, and do this action, or else repeat a third of the fight.
Yeah, I pretty specifically remember finding the system pretty obnoxious after that same fight. After that I tried to always keep a few tauriners in the back pocket just for these situations, especially if you're Majima hunting or think a boss is coming up soon.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm.

Not sure if new thread-worthy, and if true it's a bit of a bummer that they'll drag out the PS3 trilogy remasters longer that they should, but it'd be nice to get an English version of Y3 with no cuts at last.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hm.

Not sure if new thread-worthy, and if true it's a bit of a bummer that they'll drag out the PS3 trilogy remasters longer that they should, but it'd be nice to get an English version of Y3 with no cuts at last.

If that's legit, the pricing is pretty rough. I definitely agree that it would be nice to have the new localizers do a clean up on the previous English release of Y3.

edit

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Hm.

Goddamn yes. I hope it comes out here and they re-do the localization. (And add back the cut content dammit!) Y3 was my first game in th series and I love the hell out of it. I want a better version.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting for sure. Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 is fine on the PS3 technically, but at the same time the resolution is pretty low and graphically its not all that great. Add the frame rate boost we'd get by remastering it and I'd be super happy to have a basic remaster on the PS4. And no cuts in the English version would be even better (well, aside from Answer X Answer, they can cut that if they want since it'd be super hard to localise well).

Though the title is interesting, no "Kiwami" or anything. Then again, its a place holder for something that has a chance of not being true, makes me wonder if its the 2018 game, and Shin is early 2019? Who knows, TGS needs to hurry up!

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
First time playing this series. Got Yakuza Kiwami on psn sale. It looks pretty good tho I must say. But man is this game 'real'.

Yall know what happens to Yumi. That made me a little sad but it sort of got me hooked on finding out what happens next. I am in Chapter 4 now already

Really good game man. My goodness! After this done I am grabbing Yakuza 0/6

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
First time playing this series. Got Yakuza Kiwami on psn sale. It looks pretty good tho I must say. But man is this game 'real'.

Yall know what happens to Yumi. That made me a little sad but it sort of got me hooked on finding out what happens next. I am in Chapter 4 now already

Really good game man. My goodness! After this done I am grabbing Yakuza 0/6
Nice! I would recommend 0 first. You'll get more out of 6 if you play it first. They're all good, but I like 0 the best out of those 3

==========
I watched the Yakuza movie. Not a great movie, funny though. Also if you don't know the first game it's pretty bad. It's been said before but only recommended for hard-core fans

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
In case the main thread vanish from the front page...

Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 coming to PS4

Remasters with better framerate and such, like 0/Kiwami. It's been so good to be a Yakuza fan ever since 5 came out (after years of waiting for it back then)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It's been so good to be a Yakuza fan ever since 5 came out (after years of waiting for it back then)

Yeah, the turnaround from basically a dead franchise to its current rapid fire release schedule... So good!

I'm over the moon by the news. I love 3-5 but they could definitely benefit from frame rate and visual upgrades these remasters will bring. Not to mention having the entire series (uncut please for 3!) on one platform. Will be importing day 1, then getting the English releases as they appear.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the turnaround from basically a dead franchise to its current rapid fire release schedule... So good!

I'm over the moon by the news. I love 3-5 but they could definitely benefit from frame rate and visual upgrades these remasters will bring. Not to mention having the entire series (uncut please for 3!) on one platform. Will be importing day 1, then getting the English releases as they appear.
5 especially could use the faster loading treatment. I liked 5 but didnt do any of the side content cause it was so bloated with a lot of loading screens, i intend to fix that in the remaster!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 5 felt like it was pushing the PS3 to its limit in regards to the series. I doubt we'll ever see a Yakuza game that large again for a long time, if ever. I'll be happy that the frame rate should be stable this time, as it was a bit all over the place at times on the PS3. Also, remembering the intro of 5, I really hope the water texture is fixed, as its basically like oil on the PS3 version.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That;s all I really expected. Be interesting to see how some of 5's textures look in 1080p (I remember some signs/details in Osaka to be super low res). 60FPS is expected and welcome with open arms.