• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

oh fudge that releases like right before Spidey. oh noes.... Does this series always release at a bad time like this?

Good thing I beat Kiwami. I really want to start Yakuza 0 and beat that (I got my physical copy delivered last week as soon as BestBuy restocked). Zero is going to be my second Yakuza game. I guess after I beat Zero-- Kiwami 2 will be out. I'll probably do that then jump to 6

Feels like it will be a long time before I get to 6 which really sucks because I just know that game will look perfect in 4k/ps4pro

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
oh fudge that releases like right before Spidey. oh noes.... Does this series always release at a bad time like this?

Good thing I beat Kiwami. I really want to start Yakuza 0 and beat that. Zero is going to be my second Yakuza game. I guess after Zero Kiwami 2 will be out. I'll probably do that then jump to 6

In Sega's defense, this date was announced way before Spidey's was. Its not an idiotic GOW date choice thankfully. They maybe could have done with it maybe being a week or two earlier to get away from the September juggernaut games, but I think it'll be fine. If 6 could post series best sales results right next to GOW, then being a week before Spidey won't be the main factor if Kiwami 2 doesn't sell as well. If anything, releasing so many Yakuza games quick probably is a bigger factor for most casual fans (not me though, I'll buy them all!)

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, releasing so many Yakuza games quick probably is a bigger factor for most casual fans (not me though, I'll buy them all!)

That's a good point. I wonder if there might be some Yakuza fatigue for the more "casual fans" with so many releases in such a short time. I hope not, because the series is on a great run right now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its interesting, at least in the UK that sales have gradually increased - Kiwami was the best selling game in the series, then 6 snatched that title (only just mind you) so people are turning up for the games. Be interesting to see how Kiwami 2 does next. I think Sega are one part smart in not putting the Yakuza name in FOTNS to attract more of an audience of the manga to the game. Still think it should be cheaper though since its short story wise.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Its interesting, at least in the UK that sales have gradually increased - Kiwami was the best selling game in the series, then 6 snatched that title (only just mind you) so people are turning up for the games. Be interesting to see how Kiwami 2 does next. I think Sega are one part smart in not putting the Yakuza name in FOTNS to attract more of an audience of the manga to the game. Still think it should be cheaper though since its short story wise.

Is it like Yakuza 1 length?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Is it like Yakuza 1 length?
Maybe shorter for the story? I forget how long it takes me to finish Yakuza 1 these days (I know I can 100% Yakuza 1 in 20 hours though).

Thing with FOTNS is, it lacks the long fights that the series is known for these days. Its got a few (and the last one is probably one of the longest in the series) but I could have done with a few more to balance the game out. The difference between 1 and FOTNS though is just how much more content FOTNS has. That'd probably take you a good 50 hours to see the secret boss (estimate) and 100+ for 100% (took me 110) so there is plenty of content in FOTNS. And its well worth doing said optional content when you can to level up. Why? Because if you don't the bosses will utterly destroy you! Ok, maybe not that bad, but you'll certainly feel the pain trying to take some of the bosses down, I know Salty Yen (the youtuber that translates the games as he plays) had a heck of a time in chapter 9 due to how tough that boss is if you've not leveled up by that point.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really see myself replaying any yakuza games because the story and exploration is a huge part of the game, so it will make it really hard to replay, not to mention most games are really long. yakuza 0 seems to be the exception though, because now i can understand the references and i didn't realize just how good it was compared to the other games since it was my first yakuza. will definitely replay it on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe shorter for the story? I forget how long it takes me to finish Yakuza 1 these days (I know I can 100% Yakuza 1 in 20 hours though).

Thing with FOTNS is, it lacks the long fights that the series is known for these days. Its got a few (and the last one is probably one of the longest in the series) but I could have done with a few more to balance the game out. The difference between 1 and FOTNS though is just how much more content FOTNS has. That'd probably take you a good 50 hours to see the secret boss (estimate) and 100+ for 100% (took me 110) so there is plenty of content in FOTNS. And its well worth doing said optional content when you can to level up. Why? Because if you don't the bosses will utterly destroy you! Ok, maybe not that bad, but you'll certainly feel the pain trying to take some of the bosses down, I know Salty Yen (the youtuber that translates the games as he plays) had a heck of a time in chapter 9 due to how tough that boss is if you've not leveled up by that point.

Ah ok, that sounds pretty good still. Too bad about the lack of dungeons though.

Definitely hyped to get it in my hands. The combat seemed really interesting from what I saw in the demo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the lack of the long fights is probably my biggest specific complain with the game length here. If that'd have been rectified I'd probably say its top 3 in the series easy.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Now playing thru 0 and it feels fun. just barely made it to the second chapter. Got a lot to do still!

Man never went to the Arcade in Kiwami to play a game. I feel I really missed out on something. I went to the Arcade in 0 and had a blast playing Outrun. What a blast from the past that is

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
EDIT: Found it
VErGgR1.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Now playing thru 0 and it feels fun. just barely made it to the second chapter. Got a lot to do still!

Man never went to the Arcade in Kiwami to play a game. I feel I really missed out on something. I went to the Arcade in 0 and had a blast playing Outrun. What a blast from the past that is

You didn't miss much. Arcade in kiwami is the worst in the series newer games - they removed the games 0 had and only added mesuking - which is a rock/paper/scissors game that isn't great (side stories attached to it though are good). Every other recent entry in the series though has one or two excellent arcade games to play, so for 6 or kiwami 2 it's well worth visiting!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'm having more fun doing Premium Adventure in 0 than I've had in 6, sadly. 6 is just a thoroughly disappointing game all around. I don't like what they've done to the story and characters, and everything feels watered down, especially the combat.

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
I've still got a ways to go in Yakuza 6, I think I'll beat it this month though. It'll be good having a couple months until Kiwami 2, since I've played so much Yakuza this year. Pretty much nonstop. It is a fun thing that they've released so many in the past year and a half and finally caught up though, historical spin-offs aside. I know people still want those too. And I definitely want the FoTNS game in October.

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
i don't really see myself replaying any yakuza games because the story and exploration is a huge part of the game, so it will make it really hard to replay, not to mention most games are really long. yakuza 0 seems to be the exception though, because now i can understand the references and i didn't realize just how good it was compared to the other games since it was my first yakuza. will definitely replay it on PC.

This is my concern. I've only played Yakuza 0. Loved it, adored it, I am a human so how could you not. But I'm worried that it's basically all downhill from here given how much praise that title seems to get compared to the rest of the series.

I bought Kiwami on sale but I haven't started it yet. Maybe because I expect to be let down a bit.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think this series has absolutely excellent replay value. Even if you had a blast and did most stuff in the main campaign I recommend at least trying out the premium adventure without any of the main story involved.

Yakuza 0 is pretty easily one of the best games in the series, but certain aspects about it keep it down from me openly thinking it is the best in the franchise, like how so much of the side content is pretty overly developed. The only one that I have trouble fully adoring is 1/Kiwami 1, but I do think they are all excellent titles overall.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think this series has absolutely excellent replay value. Even if you had a blast and did most stuff in the main campaign I recommend at least trying out the premium adventure without any of the main story involved.

Yakuza 0 is pretty easily one of the best games in the series, but certain aspects about it keep it down from me openly thinking it is the best in the franchise, like how so much of the side content is pretty overly developed. The only one that I have trouble fully adoring is 1/Kiwami 1, but I do think they are all excellent titles overall.

Agreed 100% I've played pretty much every game in the series 2-3 times so far, and I'm already going nuts for the opportunity to replay Yakuza 3 in a couple of months time on the PS4 (its one of my most anticipated games this year!). And the completion lists/100% completion is something that keeps me coming back to the series over and over. Certainly grindy in places and an acquired taste but I really like doing everything in each of the games.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just started Yakuza 6 and holy shit at this moron who thinks he can take Kiryu on in a fight.
Was this guy in a coma since the early 2000s or something? Kiryu been busting up people like him for at least 6 games before his leaky ass even showed his face in that bar.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Pump Kiwami 2 into my veins.
It's really interesting that the release windows between games have always given me ample time to recover from getting tired after I finish 1, despite prior experiences with other series giving me year long burnouts. Finishing Tales of Vesperia and Graces close to each other basically killed my desire to play another game until last year(so ~3 year burnout). Playing FE fates similarly burned me out for 3 years. But Yakuza just keep them coming every 6 months. I would not be surprised if I got the Northstar game on a whim.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeesh a 30 minute cutscene just to set up the plot. Still it was great to see the Sunshine Orphanage kids again.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
They really did the best with Kiwami that they could. It was pretty ingenious actually, because you know as they were building assets for 0 somebody though, "Wait a minute...."

Also, Shimano was done justice in his portrayal. Total badass.

Just started Yakuza 6 and holy shit at this moron who thinks he can take Kiryu on in a fight.
Was this guy in a coma since the early 2000s or something? Kiryu been busting up people like him for at least 6 games before his leaky ass even showed his face in that bar.
Well he is a country bumpkin.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I know Kiwami was built on a crazy low budget, but the production quality of the game really bums me out. Most of the worst aspects of Yakuza 1 are still present and literally just as bad as they always were. It is really awkward.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I know Kiwami was built on a crazy low budget, but the production quality of the game really bums me out. Most of the worst aspects of Yakuza 1 are still present and literally just as bad as they always were. It is really awkward.
Which bits? I'm thinking
Jingu's boss fight mainly, which needed overhauling. Its odd that Shimano's fight is (turned into a reskinned Mr Shakedown moveset) and not Jingu who's fight was bad in the original Yakuza, and despite the improvements to combat and lockon in Kiwami is still pretty much just as bad here

Otherwise the only issue I have with Kiwami that was present in the original game are (in retrospect) are the side stories. Looking back on them with 2016/17 eyes its clear that the series has moved on a lot in that sense, especially when you compare them to the new side stories added into Kiwami which are more entertaining (in my opinion).

The other issues I have with the game were stuff added into Kiwami (healing bosses mainly) but also some of the Majima Anywhere stuff (which could have been toned down slightly so that the random encounter rate wasn't so high, plus it
messed with one of his story moments late in the game

But still, improved combat over Yakuza 1, updated graphics, 60FPS, tons of new content and no chance of missing Amon's fight because you can no longer miss locker keys, fail side stories etc. all make up for any minor issues I have with the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza Zero. Chapter 5 (6?) - the one where you return to control Kiryu the first time after Majima.

I'm waiting for the gentlemen whose property I evicted the Sega Master System-playing squatter from to 'get things ready' for me.

How long do you have to wait? Did I miss an event to trigger it?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Which bits? I'm thinking
Jingu's boss fight mainly, which needed overhauling. Its odd that Shimano's fight is (turned into a reskinned Mr Shakedown moveset) and not Jingu who's fight was bad in the original Yakuza, and despite the improvements to combat and lockon in Kiwami is still pretty much just as bad here

Otherwise the only issue I have with Kiwami that was present in the original game are (in retrospect) are the side stories. Looking back on them with 2016/17 eyes its clear that the series has moved on a lot in that sense, especially when you compare them to the new side stories added into Kiwami which are more entertaining (in my opinion).

The other issues I have with the game were stuff added into Kiwami (healing bosses mainly) but also some of the Majima Anywhere stuff (which could have been toned down slightly so that the random encounter rate wasn't so high, plus it
messed with one of his story moments late in the game

But still, improved combat over Yakuza 1, updated graphics, 60FPS, tons of new content and no chance of missing Amon's fight because you can no longer miss locker keys, fail side stories etc. all make up for any minor issues I have with the game.
Stuff like the stealth segment early on is just as braindead and annoying as it was back when everyone forced stealth segments in their games, but yes the fight you mentioned was especially annoying to me.

It is a pure upgrade to Yakuza 1 in almost every way (except I guess the soundtrack, which is mostly far, far worse IMO), but the generally low production values for much of the story really bothered me. Some of those cutscenes are just dreadfully animated when you pay attention to them. Thankfully they did not pull any punches for Kiwami 2 from what I can see. I hope the PC version of that is not too far off!

And yeah, it has been quite awhile since I last played Yakuza 1, so I was quite surprised to see the lack of personality in the substories too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes. That stealth section. Thankfully I got through it super quick the last time I played it, but it is annoying. They actually lengthen a section of it in Kiwami, right after you get past the guards you need a special ID to get into a part of Tojo HQ and for whatever reason they lengthened this fetch quest out compared to originally in 1.

Soundtrack wise I'm torn. I like both the original and Kiwami versions of tracks (this is the same for 2/Kiwami 2 as well the more I listen to Kiwami 2's soundtrack)

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Pray Me (Revive) is really good.

Also, when is the Discord active? I seem to miss the fun when I log in and it's usually dead. I miss the days of IRC and community chats. XD

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Pray Me (Revive) is really good.

Also, when is the Discord active? I seem to miss the fun when I log in and it's usually dead. I miss the days of IRC and community chats. XD

Discord activity seems random to me. If I'm online I usually try and post something (though my hours are erratic). Activity was highish when Yakuza 6 had just been released, so when Kiwami 2 is released I'm sure it'll pick up again. If nothing else, I'll be posting up random stuff when I get 3's remaster in a couple of months time :)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I went back to platinum 0...

The cat fights...

I didn't even know this mini game existed. Why is it like this.

No Goro-kun

I share your pain. I've 100%ed Yakuza 0 twice doing the trophies twice over. And yeah, the cat fights is the worst bit of the game as they seem random, but actually have a small amount of strategy to them - its all down to looking at the girls comments in the menu before hand (those actually do affect which are more likely to win) along with figuring out the strategy for each girl (it seems random, but its actually not). Its a colossal headache though, thankfully they made the AI way dumber in Kiwami for the arcade game that recycles this so its nowhere near as difficult to do.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I share your pain. I've 100%ed Yakuza 0 twice doing the trophies twice over. And yeah, the cat fights is the worst bit of the game as they seem random, but actually have a small amount of strategy to them - its all down to looking at the girls comments in the menu before hand (those actually do affect which are more likely to win) along with figuring out the strategy for each girl (it seems random, but its actually not). Its a colossal headache though, thankfully they made the AI way dumber in Kiwami for the arcade game that recycles this so its nowhere near as difficult to do.
Ooh, any tips for the individual matchups? I figured out the ticker but sometimes it doesn't seem to matter.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, any tips for the individual matchups? I figured out the ticker but sometimes it doesn't seem to matter.

As the personalities/quotes are always changing from tourney to tourney I don't really have any good tips for individual matchups I'm afraid :( I did find the blonde girl with glasses (was her name Jennifer?) a solid character more often than not though. Good stats and a decent special move. I got most of my wins with her the first time through.

Apart from Yakuza 6, these games seem fkn brutal to Platinum compared to other PS4 games.

Nah, not really. Time consuming? Sure, but hard? Not really, not from my experience. Most of the trophies in the series just boil down to "try everything in the game" with maybe one being 100%ing the game. Which in itself is fairly straight forward, its just a couple of games like 0 demand more from you (the cat fighting stuff, or getting all the item drops in the Dragon and Tiger searches).
Ishin and Fist of the North Star are pretty grindy at points as well so that inflates their completion times, but for the most part its nothing you can't do just by keeping at it over an evening or two. Ditto with Yakuza 5 which doesn't have a tough trophy list per se, but does force you to do everything in that game (and they packed so much content into it).

Only legit tough plats I've seen for Yakuza have been Yakuza 1 for the PS3 (not Kiwami) and Yakuza/RGG3 - as Y1 tasks you with completing Haruka's trust side missions (like other games) including hitting 20 home runs in a row. Good luck with that! Y3 has the mini game master trophy which is also super hard as you have to clear all mini games on all difficulties, and that is very tough. RGG3 is harder in that regard as it includes the Japanese quiz Answer X Answer which is tough if you understand Japanese, if you don't? Its impossible.

The series is certainly no Super Meat Boy in terms of trophy lists I'll say that much!

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I found an error in a move notation in Yakuza 0.

When you get the parry/counter from Komaki as Majima, he trains you to do R1+Circle and that is correct but after that in that wheel diagram(as well as Abilities page) it's noted as R1+Triangle and it's wrong.

Are there more errors like this?

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Having completed Yakuza 0, I've gotta say I think 6 still has the best story in terms of maturity of the writers.

That finale in 0 is overloaded. I know they were shooting for a dramatic finish with two protagonists, but that really dragged on for far too long. (Also, 0/Kiwami's battle system is pretty bunk and outdated next to Dragon Engine.)

But really, all three Dojima lieutenants, plus Lao Gui in the finale? That is so bloated! It drags on and isn't capable of letting you really process it. They really needed a bit more editing to have a better progression of taking down the villains instead of literally back-ending the game with every antagonist's thread.

Firstly, Kuze should have been fought three times, tops. Who in the world thought five meetings with him would be a good idea? It stretched a great villain into something long in the tooth and could have easily been condensed down.

Awano, for all purposes, should have been taken down far earlier too. The Lao Gui fight being, for all purposes, tacked on was kind of weird too. Why not have him fight Majima at Roppongi instead yet another group of faceless mooks? It would have been a great setting, plus you literally just watched him shoot Makimura -- you wanted to rip his guts out. Wasted opportunity.

Shibusawa is a great villain and is terrifically written, so I don't have any problem with him. Loved it.

I enjoyed the game, but I've gotta say it excites me for getting Kiwami 2 on the Dragon Engine for all the quality-of-life improvements and the better/less arcadey battle system. It definitely excites me for Shin Yakuza's writing, hot off Yakuza 6's heels.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Having completed Yakuza 0, I've gotta say I think 6 still has the best story in terms of maturity of the writers.

That finale in 0 is overloaded. I know they were shooting for a dramatic finish with two protagonists, but that really dragged on for far too long. (Also, 0/Kiwami's battle system is pretty bunk and outdated next to Dragon Engine.)

But really, all three Dojima lieutenants, plus Lao Gui in the finale? That is so bloated! It drags on and isn't capable of letting you really process it. They really needed a bit more editing to have a better progression of taking down the villains instead of literally back-ending the game with every antagonist's thread.

Firstly, Kuze should have been fought three times, tops. Who in the world thought five meetings with him would be a good idea? It stretched a great villain into something long in the tooth and could have easily been condensed down.

Awano, for all purposes, should have been taken down far earlier too. The Lao Gui fight being, for all purposes, tacked on was kind of weird too. Why not have him fight Majima at Roppongi instead yet another group of faceless mooks? It would have been a great setting, plus you literally just watched him shoot Makimura -- you wanted to rip his guts out. Wasted opportunity.

Shibusawa is a great villain and is terrifically written, so I don't have any problem with him. Loved it.

I enjoyed the game, but I've gotta say it excites me for getting Kiwami 2 on the Dragon Engine for all the quality-of-life improvements and the better/less arcadey battle system. It definitely excites me for Shin Yakuza's writing, hot off Yakuza 6's heels.
Yakuza 6? Mature? (6 and 3 spoilers)
A hidden battleship in Onomichi? That has to be the second worst major twist in the series, though still quite far behind Yakuza 3's 'CIA twin.'

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A hidden battleship in Onomichi? That has to be the second worst major twist in the series, though still quite far behind Yakuza 3's 'CIA twin.'

All the Yakuza games (well pretty much all of them) have silly twists here and there. I mean, most people hold Yakuza 2 in high regard yet it has
two twists that are pretty much up there for me - the whole Sengoku chapter where its revealed that Osaka Castle can split in two to reveal an even bigger solid gold castle. It makes 0 sense why that happens!
Not to mention, one of the more confusing plot twists in the series (for me) is in two - at the beginning of the game you see Terada die (flat lines and passes away in the ambulance after being shot - granted, shot in the shoulder). Then turns up alive and well at the end of the game with 0 explanation how he managed to resurrect himself.

The Yamato MKII reveal is really not all that surprising in context to the series after 2's castle reveal. Seems pretty normal the more I think about it. I didn't have any issues with 0's plot though, I felt it was one of the more grounded entries in the series, all the plot twists landed perfectly for me without seeming to be too much of a stretch to believe.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Oh trust me, I facepalmed like no one's business when that was the twist.

But what I say maturity, I don't mean they don't do silly or campy things. I mean they have matured in narrative direction of their storyboard. The pacing in Yakuza 6 is marvelous.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why, but the AI in Yakuza 0 has become hyper aggressive. I set the game at normal and am now at chapter 5. There's a day and night difference between Majima's random battles and Kiryu's.

With Kiryu, they all use the fast boxer stance and continually spam attacks without stopping. It made fighting such a chore that I had to dial the difficulty down. The boss fights and Mr. Shakedowns are easy than random mooks.....

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Does Kiwami 2 have multiple fighting styles like 0 and Kiwami 1?
No. Only the samurai games, 0 and Kiwami had multiple fighting styles. All other games have one fighting style. Kiwami 2 does flesh out the fighting style more over 6, and some of the new moves you acquire are taken from the beast fighting style but that's about it.

I'm not sure why, but the AI in Yakuza 0 has become hyper aggressive. I set the game at normal and am now at chapter 5. There's a day and night difference between Majima's random battles and Kiryu's.

With Kiryu, they all use the fast boxer stance and continually spam attacks without stopping. It made fighting such a chore that I had to dial the difficulty down. The boss fights and Mr. Shakedowns are easy than random mooks.....

You've equipped the Charismatic autobiography/autograph item. Go to your armor/accessories inventory and remove it. Its got great stats, but if you read the description you'll see that it drives enemies crazy!

Oct 28, 2017
No. Only the samurai games, 0 and Kiwami had multiple fighting styles. All other games have one fighting style. Kiwami 2 does flesh out the fighting style more over 6, and some of the new moves you acquire are taken from the beast fighting style but that's about it.

You've equipped the Charismatic autobiography/autograph item. Go to your armor/accessories inventory and remove it. Its got great stats, but if you read the description you'll see that it drives enemies crazy!

Ah cool. I was't a huge fan of the move to multiple fighting styles so that's good to hear.