• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
XE17wO5.png

Base meme

Jan 4, 2018
So I just finished Yakuza 6 and my year and a half long journey of the entire series for the first time. Gameplay wise I thought it was great (despite some new engine growing pains), the story was a little more of a mixed bag, though I still enjoyed it overall. My one major complaint (plus other brief thoughts):
Is how they sidelined pretty much everyone from the series, outside of relatively small roles from Akiyama and Date. It was honestly just a little difficult to have this send-off game for Kiryu while being surrounded by so many new characters that took a while to get used to.

Glad the Haruka/Haruto part of the plot came back around in the end. There were a couple chapters there where it dropped out a bit (basically the "revealing the secret" part) and for maybe the first time in the series I felt like Kiryu had no personal connection/motivation to what was going on.

It also would have been kind of cool to leave us with Akiyama's, "Is that the line you're going to give me every time I ask?", but I am happy knowing Kiryu is still alive.

And as a series, the only big disappointment (not really, but kind of):
Is that Kaoru never came back! I really liked her, and thought she was great for Kiryu. When the Korean Mafia popped up again in Y6 (and was alluded to along with Kaoru in Y5), I thought there was a small chance it would happen. Oh well, maybe they'll be reunited in retirement.

After playing all these games though, Yakuza might be my favorite series now. It's hard to put into words (and one day I would like to properly), but I just love everything about it.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
So I just finished Yakuza 6 and my year and a half long journey of the entire series for the first time. Gameplay wise I thought it was great (despite some new engine growing pains), the story was a little more of a mixed bag, though I still enjoyed it overall. My one major complaint (plus other brief thoughts):
Is how they sidelined pretty much everyone from the series, outside of relatively small roles from Akiyama and Date. It was honestly just a little difficult to have this send-off game for Kiryu while being surrounded by so many new characters that took a while to get used to.

Glad the Haruka/Haruto part of the plot came back around in the end. There were a couple chapters there where it dropped out a bit (basically the "revealing the secret" part) and for maybe the first time in the series I felt like Kiryu had no personal connection/motivation to what was going on.

It also would have been kind of cool to leave us with Akiyama's, "Is that the line you're going to give me every time I ask?", but I am happy knowing Kiryu is still alive.

And as a series, the only big disappointment (not really, but kind of):
Is that Kaoru never came back! I really liked her, and thought she was great for Kiryu. When the Korean Mafia popped up again in Y6 (and was alluded to along with Kaoru in Y5), I thought there was a small chance it would happen. Oh well, maybe they'll be reunited in retirement.

After playing all these games though, Yakuza might be my favorite series now. It's hard to put into words (and one day I would like to properly), but I just love everything about it.
That would have been a great The Dark Knight Rises-esque finale, show Kaoru waiting by a car or something.

In fact, screw it, that's my head canon. Let Kiryu have some joy in his life.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Now that's one thing I gotta hand to Shenmue - the little details like removing/putting on your shoes each time you enter/exit your house is a nice touch.

Anyway, my copy of 3 is now in the country, so I should have it tomorrow. Absolutely can't wait to replay it this time on the PS4. From reading around the only changes I've read about so far are: Hostesses in Kamurocho have been replaced (we knew about this already), Answer X Answer is gone (which is a minor loss seeing as how bloody hard and incomprehensible it is to play) and weirdly, looking at magazine covers also seems to be gone (licensing maybe? The magazines were real after all so maybe the licensing expired).

Oct 27, 2017
I just started Yakuza 6 a couple of nights ago. But does anybody remember which Yakuza game it was where Kiryu was saying something like "Men like us are meant to make it easier for others"? I think he was talking to Daigo Umehara.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I just started Yakuza 6 a couple of nights ago. But does anybody remember which Yakuza game it was where Kiryu was saying something like "Men like us are meant to make it easier for others"? I think he was talking to Daigo Umehara.
Kiryu spoke to a fighting game master?! Whoa, I don't remember that...

Here is the scene you request, lol. 8:14

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Now that's one thing I gotta hand to Shenmue - the little details like removing/putting on your shoes each time you enter/exit your house is a nice touch.

Anyway, my copy of 3 is now in the country, so I should have it tomorrow. Absolutely can't wait to replay it this time on the PS4. From reading around the only changes I've read about so far are: Hostesses in Kamurocho have been replaced (we knew about this already), Answer X Answer is gone (which is a minor loss seeing as how bloody hard and incomprehensible it is to play) and weirdly, looking at magazine covers also seems to be gone (licensing maybe? The magazines were real after all so maybe the licensing expired).

This reminds me: Were there any magazine covers in 6? I can't quite remember. That's one of my favorite things in Yakuza games, going to the conbini and browsing through the magazine covers, haha. 5 even had (untranslated) mangas you could browse through some chapters. That was great!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me: Were there any magazine covers in 6? I can't quite remember. That's one of my favorite things in Yakuza games, going to the conbini and browsing through the magazine covers, haha. 5 even had (untranslated) mangas you could browse through some chapters. That was great!
No magazines in newer games I'm afraid, I think Kiwami? might have been the last to use them. I do like incidental little details like that and the manga's in 5 (which I wouldn't be surprised to see gone in the remaster either when its released).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ishin's remixes of Majima's theme (he gets two because he rocks) are fantastic, I've been listening to them loads lately.

As for good Daigo (parry master) showing up in Yakuza, sort of a side point, but I would like there to be more challenges for the arcade games in the series, as they are the easiest mini games to do especially the points you need.
Its something else I love Shenmue for - as those games force you to get higher scores to get the toys from the games (oh boy, remaster coming soon so I get to do that all over again!). Maybe do it like Darts in Yakuza where you bet money and fight stronger opponents or something? I'd be well up for that.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Kiwami is either going to give me carpal tunnel syndrome, or break my DS4, or both. Holy shit.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how to do the Counter where you hold L1 for guard and then press Square (or is it triangle?) while being attacked. I can't get it to come out for the life of me.

Last edited:

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kiwami is either going to give me carpal tunnel syndrome, or break my DS4, or both. Holy shit.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how to do the Counter where you hold L1 for guard and then press Square (or is it triangle?) while being attacked. I can't get it to come out for the life of me.

Shiiiit. I'm almost done with Yakuza 0 and was thinking about starting Kiwami right after.

Should I be worried?

On that note, is it true that Kiwami is quite short compared to 0? Like, I know it's a remake of the first game but I'm curious as to how it holds up and how much work was put into it.

Will it suffice if I'm just looking to continue the story from 0?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Shiiiit. I'm almost done with Yakuza 0 and was thinking about starting Kiwami right after.

Should I be worried?

On that note, is it true that Kiwami is quite short compared to 0? Like, I know it's a remake of the first game but I'm curious as to how it holds up and how much work was put into it.

Will it suffice if I'm just looking to continue the story from 0?

I have no idea how long 0 is, but Kiwami is not a short game at all. I'm 25 hours in and though I feel the end of the game is getting closer, it just keeps going and going. Right now I'm at the
Car Chase after rescuing Hakura from the Triads in Yokohama and it's ball-busting hard, to the point that the game is starting to ask me if I want to lower the difficulty.

AFAIK Kiwami's combat is almost identical to 0 so if you are enjoying that one you'll probably like Kiwami. Some other posters in the thread have mentioned that it's not as fleshed out as 0 in many ways, and it makes sense because at the end of the day, Kiwami is a reconstruction of a 2005 PS2 game, but it's remade from the ground up to look and feel like 0, and you'll probably feel right at home.

You really shouldn't listen to me, though; this is my first Yakuza game. I sort of have tthe opposite problem you have in that I'm wondering if I should bother with 0 after finishing this, because for every one thing I like about this game (and there's a lot to like; the game has a lot of charm and in general the combat is fun); there's another one that I dislike, or that I'm annoyed by.

I probably made a mistake by playing on hard. I have some things to say about what my problems with the game are, but I'll finish the game before doing that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kiwami is less a remake of the first game as much as it is a $30 expansion pack for 0. 0+k effectively together form a soft reboot of the series as one package. This is more or less reflected in both production values, difficulty (k on normal is more or less harder than hard in 0), presentation (Kiryu is effectively at level max from 0 in the opening section of k), story additions to have k better match the new canon of 0 as the first game, etc

I wouldn't really go into it expecting the next big Yakuza game after 0, because it's not.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Kiwami is less a remake of the first game as much as it is a $30 expansion pack for 0. 0+k effectively together form a soft reboot of the series as one package. This is more or less reflected in both production values, difficulty (k on normal is more or less harder than hard in 0), presentation (Kiryu is effectively at level max from 0 in the opening section of k), story additions to have k better match the new canon of 0 as the first game, etc

I wouldn't really go into it expecting the next big Yakuza game after 0, because it's not.

This makes me feel I should definitely have played 0 before Kiwami. But I got Kiwami super cheap on a sale and I was itching to play a Yakuza game, so here we are.

You mention that 0 is easier than Kiwami. Are bosses less frustrating? In Kiwami they feel like giant walls of HP that just poise through everything I throw at them, and I usually resort to cheesing them with weapons and healing items. It gets the job done but it's not satisfying at all.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me feel I should definitely have played 0 before Kiwami. But I got Kiwami super cheap on a sale and I was itching to play a Yakuza game, so here we are.
This is a common mistake. You get what you pay for man ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You mention that 0 is easier than Kiwami. Are bosses less frustrating? In Kiwami they feel like giant walls of HP that just poise through everything I throw at them, and I usually resort to cheesing them with weapons and healing items. It gets the job done but it's not satisfying at all.
100% yes

Kiwami was a very budget "game". It was something they did between 0 and 6 because they figured out very early on that the dragon engine was going to prolong development by a looooong time. They did it as a quick and easy stopgap and thus just imported 95% of the game straight from 0 and made the rest of the game a literal shot for shot remake of the PS2 entry...for better or worse. Most of the title's issues ultimately stem from this. It just is what it is, and most wouldn't really disagree with you if you said it was the worst game in the series other than the game it was a remake of.

Last edited:

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kiwami was a very budget "game". It was something they did between 0 and 6 because they figured out very early on that the dragon engine was going to prolong development by a looooong time. They did it as a quick and easy stopgap and thus just imported 95% of the game straight from 0 and made the rest of the game a literal shot for shot remake of the PS2 entry...for better or worse. Most of the title's issues ultimately stem from this. It just is what it is, and most wouldn't really disagree with you if you said it was the worst game in the series other than the game it was a remake of.

So then how does that bode for Kiwami 2? What's the word on that game? I know the localized English version isn't out until the end of the month (I've got it on preorder) but I've no doubt some here have already imported and played the Japanese version.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So then how does that bode for Kiwami 2? What's the word on that game? I know the localized English version isn't out until the end of the month (I've got it on preorder) but I've no doubt some here have already imported and played the Japanese version.
K2 was given a massively larger budget and iirc was greenlit due to how well 0+k did over here.

K was meant to be a one and done off game just to fill a gap. K2 is more them trying to expand audience outreach and they gave the game a lot more breathing room to do so both mechanically and budget wise. 2 is also a much better game than 1, but I digress lol >.>

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
K2 was given a massively larger budget and iirc was greenlit due to how well 0+k did over here.

K was meant to be a one and done off game just to fill a gap. K2 is more them trying to expand audience outreach and they gave the game a lot more breathing room to do so both mechanically and budget wise. 2 is also a much better game than 1, but I digress lol >.>

You didn't digress. That's everything I wanted to hear. Thanks!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
How long is Y6? I'm probably gonna finally get to it today, but want to be done with it in about 2 weeks. I'm gonna assume it's not close to Y0 and Y5 (both took me over 100 hours).

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I did quite a bit of 6 and put about 40-45 hours into it. Y0 took me about 70-75 by comparison.
I pretty much do everything but 100% (Mahjong, the Arena and all the Heat Moves), I know there's the Clan thing in 6, is it as much of a timesink as what 5 and 0 had? Because if not, will probably be on the lowerside.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much do everything but 100% (Mahjong, the Arena and all the Heat Moves), I know there's the Clan thing in 6, is it as much of a timesink as what 5 and 0 had? Because if not, will probably be on the lowerside.
na

I may be misremembering but I'd ballpark it at around 5 hours or so all told. It's fun as hell, but unlike past games which had multiple side games like this 6 only really has it, spear fishing, and arguably baseball management--which I passed on as I loathe the game, but I digress lol--and all of them are pretty short in comparison to stuff like CC, Hunting, Dungeon Battles, Farming, etc. Spear fishing for example is maybe an hour's of content.

Overall 6 is pretty clearly a transitional entry for the series. K2 is supposedly much better in terms of content, but I don't expect 0 or 5 levels of content for Dragon Engine titles until Shin or Shin 2.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
na

I may be misremembering but I'd ballpark it at around 5 hours or so all told. It's fun as hell, but unlike past games which had multiple side games like this 6 only really has it, spear fishing, and arguably baseball management--which I passed on as I loathe the game, but I digress lol--and all of them are pretty short in comparison to stuff like CC, Hunting, Dungeon Battles, Farming, etc. Spear fishing for example is maybe an hour's of content.

Overall 6 is pretty clearly a transitional entry for the series. K2 is supposedly much better in terms of content, but I don't expect 0 or 5 levels of content for Dragon Engine titles until Shin or Shin 2.
Thanks, it should probably be on the "shorter"side for me then. I get lost in them big side activities, probably spent 50+ hours in all of 5's stuff and probably 25-30 in 0's.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
^Thank you so much.

The moment I watched the first revelation in Y3 I knew I was getting into an incredible franchise, no joke lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, look what turned up today!

Time to get Yakuza installed and finally replay it. I'll post some overly enthusiastic impressions in the coming days!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It was really fun to read that 'wtf happened to Majima's character in Y0' thread, where you could clearly tell who was introduced to him in 0 and who met him before that.

Oh yeah, totally. Always funny (not in a bad way I should point out) how peoples opinion on Majima's character in 0 vary so much from vets and newcomers that go on to play Kiwami. For vets its "why is Majima not crazy in 0" and for newcomers its "why is Majima suddenly crazy in Kiwami?!"

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It was really fun to read that 'wtf happened to Majima's character in Y0' thread, where you could clearly tell who was introduced to him in 0 and who met him before that.
It's always such a debate and recurring point of confusion, that I do hope a 0-2 (if it were made) would do more to show a gradual change. Kind of like Better Call Saul or Breaking Bad, but it's about Majima leaning into the Mad Dog persona instead.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
It's always such a debate and recurring point of confusion, that I do hope a 0-2 (if it were made) would do more to show a gradual change. Kind of like Better Call Saul or Breaking Bad, but it's about Majima leaning into the Mad Dog persona instead.
Folks won't like it, but Majima needs a heel moment. A Zero-2 game needs him to lean into the madness and do something where we're all like, "...dude, that wasn't cool at all. What the fuck Goro?"

The developers want him to be a teddy bear while also being sociopathic thug. They kinda need to pick a side.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
This is why we need Kiwami 2, stat.
I was very disappointed to hear from importers last year that his campaign is super short! Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to playing it.
Folks won't like it, but Majima needs a heel moment. A Zero-2 game needs him to lean into the madness and do something where we're all like, "...dude, that wasn't cool at all. What the fuck Goro?"

The developers want him to be a teddy bear while also being sociopathic thug. They kinda need to pick a side.
Yeah, they're very much about portraying all of their characters as either neutral or virtuous, and it's kind of a shame. There comes a point where you can't RUBBER BULLETS your way around the fact that these men are yakuza, and it's a huge reason as to why I think my dream game (a Kazama prequel set in the 60s or 70s) will not happen. If it does, they just portray a version of the character that doesn't do any of the stuff that was shown / alluded to in the other games. A character can do bad things or be morally ambiguous, it's ok.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Have something to tie you over till Kiwami 2
I've already 100%ed Kiwami 2. I don't plan on replaying it just yet since I like to space my playthroughs out, but I will be getting it day 1 anyway to support the series, next two Yakuza games I plan on playing is 4's remaster and the second PSP game which has been on my list for so damn long. Oh, and not technically Yakuza but I wanna do a Shenmue replay via the remasters if the ports are good.

Last edited:

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I've already 100%ed Kiwami 2. I don't plan on replaying it just yet since I like to space my playthroughs out, but I will be getting it day 1 anyway to support the series, next two Yakuza games I plan on playing is 4's remaster and the second PSP game which has been on my list for so damn long. Oh, and not technically Yakuza but I wanna do a Shenmue replay via the remasters if the ports are good.

Ok. I know you normally replayed each title once they get localised, but I didn't realize you 100% the JPN versions.

Have Shenmue pre-ordered (never played the originals) due to it's supposed likeness to Yakuza, though, I won't be touching it till Kiwami 2 is completed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I know you normally replayed each title once they get localised, but I didn't realize you 100% the JPN versions.

Have Shenmue pre-ordered (never played the originals) due to it's supposed likeness to Yakuza, though, I won't be touching it till Kiwami 2 is completed.

Oh yeah, I try and 100% each game. Its the main source of enjoyment for me next to the main story. I'll definitely do an English run though, but I still have that to do on 6 so it may take a little while to get to it!

Shenmue has a very different pace and atmosphere to Yakuza. But I love the series due to said atmosphere and the story. I absolutely can't wait to replay it all over again while spending too much time playing Hang On!