• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
lol. I expected some crazy shit from Judge Eyes secret boss, but I didn't expect that I'd have to recall my skills from Treasures game
Ikuraga
in order to beat him. So the secret boss...

Amon as expected but a nice new Amon as opposed to Jo again. The boss fight himself is actually one of the easier ones to beat (just make sure you have your item shortcuts set up else you may find it hard as you cant access your inventory if he nabs your phone.
The first phase with the grenades I ended up just bypassing almost entirely as he's easy to Tiger Drop. A couple of those and he starts colour shifting. Now if you've played Ikaruga before (and you really must, its amazing) the basic set up on it is that using the same colour/stance as the bullets/Amon attacks means you can absorb heat loads if you block, or absorb loads of heat just by being in EX mode while attacking. So that's simple for the next set of phases where he goes from blue to red, just stance switch with him and you should basically take 0 damage. Now the tough bit of the fight begins...
Amon will put up a shield so the only way to do damage is to be in the opposite colour/stance to him. Oh, and did I mention if your in the opposite stance and get hit they your EX bar (if you are in burst mode) or health (if not) are basically gone instantly. So be careful! Blue stance was my offensive as his attacks are easy to dodge, so I just basically stayed in red stance for the remainder of the fight as his red attacks are basically instant kill if you are unlucky enough to be in blue stance.

Its a pretty fast paced fight but one of the easier Amon's once you get the above tactic down, I loved it!

Only thing left now is the last girl friend quest, which has proved to be most entertaining so far. Then I'll be 100% completion done, and would just need an EX Hard mode for the plat. But I'll opt to play RGG4 Remaster instead, even a speed run of Judge Eyes would take me quite a long while I bet!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And that's the completion list on Judge Eyes 100% done. Difficulty wise I'd probably give it around an 8/10? Kinda hard to judge but there are some pretty tricky bits here and there that the game asks of you - Mahjong for example has quite a few requirements, as does Shogi this time (worth mentioning though cheat items do exist, but I'm basic my score on not using them).
Then you have stuff like Drone racing times (which are fairly tight and require expert piloting in a few cases where you zoom through the Millennium Tower), Pinball is a bit of a pain since its just not all that good in terms of a Pinball Table, and then you have the arcade challenges for Puyo Puyo (bastard hard, easily the toughest part of the entire game) and maybe Fighting Vipers/VF5 depending on how you are in those games (beating Dural and later characters in FV).

But at the same time the secret boss isn't as tough as in some past games, it doesn't feel anywhere near as grindy as some completion lists in the series can feel (despite it still taking me 100+ hours to finish it) and its definitely one of the most fun 100%s I've done (just under 5 really, which I adored).

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Y4 is finally growing on me a bit, as I've fleshed out Akiyama's sub stories. The music is great as always, might be my favorite "general fight" music so far.

But honestly, when the fuck do I get to play as Kiryu? I'm still in Part 1 (Chapter 3) so early on but ehhh I want to play as Kiryu or Majima. Akiyama is cool and all...eh. I'm trying to keep an open mind on this one.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
i remember when i first played yakuza 4, i was like fuck... i don't want to play anyone else but kiryu, yakuza IS kiryu to me

but then i loved tanimura and akiyama, and realized it doesn't matter if they decide to retire kiryu or whatever, they know how to keep the characters interesting

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I like the other playable characters, just to sound like a broken record but Judge Eyes works so damn well because it has no Yakuza characters in it. Completely new roster of characters that are fleshed out really well and I came to love all of them (well, nearly all of them, they did a good job of writing villains as really evil people this time, not like in old Yakuza games where you end up loving the villains as well!)

I look forward to replaying Yakuza 4 now on the PS4. Just wish I could have got a character model swap for Saejima to remove his hair, it looks so damn awful compared to his awesome appearance in 5.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Y4 is finally growing on me a bit, as I've fleshed out Akiyama's sub stories. The music is great as always, might be my favorite "general fight" music so far.

But honestly, when the fuck do I get to play as Kiryu? I'm still in Part 1 (Chapter 3) so early on but ehhh I want to play as Kiryu or Majima. Akiyama is cool and all...eh. I'm trying to keep an open mind on this one.

Kiryu is the last character you play as, out of four total characters. I'm sorry. Akiyama does feel like a slow burn, but once you get through him, Saejima and Tanimura go faster.

I felt the same as you when I started playing Yakuza 4, but I eventually got comfortable with playing as other guys.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Have just started a new game of 0 in preparation for the release of Kiwami later this month. Has there been any word about bringing Kiwami 2 and the rest of the franchise to Steam?
Nothing yet but it would make little sense to port Y0 and Kiwami and just leave it at that. There was also an official SEGA document (I think quarterly reports) that mentioned Yakuza 6 as a PS4/PC title.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't even been any word of the other games coming to the PS4 (3-5) outside of Asia, expecting them on the PC in a timely manor is... optimistic to say the least ;)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just beat Yakuza 0, my 3rd Yakuza game after 4 and 5

I think it's maybe my favourite, but I also really loved 5

I have a question though, which I will ask under a spoiler

When did Majima meet, marry and divorce Mirei? in 0 he's 24 and I kind of get the impression Makoto is his first love, so did his wife come before or after that point?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Yakuza 0, my 3rd Yakuza game after 4 and 5

I think it's maybe my favourite, but I also really loved 5

I have a question though, which I will ask under a spoiler

When did Majima meet, marry and divorce Mirei? in 0 he's 24 and I kind of get the impression Makoto is his first love, so did his wife come before or after that point?
I'm pretty sure that happens between 0 and 1, but either way I wouldn't bother giving that plot point too much attention; it's pretty sloppy and does nothing for the character, IMO.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm pretty sure that happens between 0 and 1, but either way I wouldn't bother giving that plot point too much attention; it's pretty sloppy and does nothing for the character, IMO.

From watcing the catch up clips at the start of Y4 I think the first game takes place from 1995 - 2005, so that's 7-17 years after 0, so I suppose that makes more sense than it to have happened in the 80s

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Majima after 0
its early 90's (92 I believe) that he marries, not late 80s:

Anyway, new chapter of RGG Online is out, as is the story summary:
https://dojimasdragongirl.wordpress...ry-summary-part-8/comment-page-1/#comment-520

So its very much setting up the next of the 4 big boss fights (one of the plot hooks for Online is that there are four big Omi leaders that control various parts of Kamurocho, and Ichiban plans to take them out to push the Omi out of Tokyo. This next guy seems like a hard headed psycho who's all about being the strongest. Which isn't that deep character wise, but would probably make a fun boss battle in any normal Yakuza game.

More interesting plot wise is the minor reveal that the Arena itself still lives under Kamuro, but unlike previously where its being controlled by Florist, its now in Omi hands. Its briefly mentioned that Florist is "moving around", probably trying to stay under the radar of the Omi. Makes me wonder if he has a backup facility somewhere, he strikes me as the kind of person that is paranoid enough to have a second site. I also wonder what the cliffhangar at the end of the chapter is getting at, makes me wonder if we are about to have an old character turn up with this "training". But who? Saejima? (he's a beast), Komaki (he's the most skilled by far) or someone else entirely. Can't wait to see what happens next

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Thanks for that Shadowman!

I can't wait for Shin Ryu ga Gotoku and the introduction of Pocket Sand to the series.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Speaking of Majima, I'm finally on Part 2 of Yakuza 4, with Saejima and Majima. Get to see what happened to Saejima after Majima wasnt able to help him out during the same event in Yakuza 0. Definitely already more into the story.

Spoiler: Saejima goes full John Wick hahaha

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
People keep asking for Yakuza on Switch.

How about a Switch in Yakuza?

469367639852974082.png

YAKUZA_KIWAMI_2_20180902194028.jpg

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Here is my slight update to a previous post I made in this thread.

What a bummer. I was really hoping that I would fall in love with Yakuza. After two business trips to Japan I fell absolutely in love with Tokyo and the culture. It's rare I don't think about my experiences there on a daily basis. Every since I've been slowly consuming more Japanese content and enjoying it a lot. Especially since I actively avoided it previously.

I fell in love with Persona 5 after I bought it purely because of the idea of being able to walk around in an anime Tokyo lol. And I was hoping that Yakuza 0 would do the same for me as P5 did. But I'm just no having fun at all. I'm not far at all (barely got past Chapter 1) and it's already such a massive choir to play. The story has some interesting hooks but the cut scenes are too long, too frequent and just not really engaging. And the actual gameplay just isn't any fun to me. The combat is clunky and just not fun to engage in. Though some of the animations made me laugh pretty good.

It's just such a darn shame because I notice all the side activities and stories that are no doubt super cool. But I just can't muster the energy to plough through it see if it'll get fun later on.

Maybe some day later I will try again and hopefully enjoy the series as much as you people here. :-(

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Here is my slight update to a previous post I made in this thread.

What a bummer. I was really hoping that I would fall in love with Yakuza. After two business trips to Japan I fell absolutely in love with Tokyo and the culture. It's rare I don't think about my experiences there on a daily basis. Every since I've been slowly consuming more Japanese content and enjoying it a lot. Especially since I actively avoided it previously.

I fell in love with Persona 5 after I bought it purely because of the idea of being able to walk around in an anime Tokyo lol. And I was hoping that Yakuza 0 would do the same for me as P5 did. But I'm just no having fun at all. I'm not far at all (barely got past Chapter 1) and it's already such a massive choir to play. The story has some interesting hooks but the cut scenes are too long, too frequent and just not really engaging. And the actual gameplay just isn't any fun to me. The combat is clunky and just not fun to engage in. Though some of the animations made me laugh pretty good.

It's just such a darn shame because I notice all the side activities and stories that are no doubt super cool. But I just can't muster the energy to plough through it see if it'll get fun later on.

Maybe some day later I will try again and hopefully enjoy the series as much as you people here. :-(

That is a bummer, Yakuza 0 is my favorite of the 5 I've played so far.

So I was picking up Yakuza 6 in store today since I got the $20 deal from Best Buy last week. The employee was pretty pumped I was buying it and said he got into the series last year with Kiwami as well, was asking which of the other ones I played, etc. Was a nice touch to the experience!

Onto Not Kiryu #3 in Yakuza 4. The story has grown on me quite a bit! But I dislike changing characters every 4 chapters. I'm glad to be closer to the end tbh. Can't wait to move on to 5 and 6

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
5 has the same swapping as 4 does. While I love all the playable characters, it definitely was a mistake (especially in 5) to have so many playable characters in the way they did it - swapping and having to level up a new character is a bit annoying, not to mention basically have part of the first part wasted on more tutorials. Its something Sega figured out in 0 by instead just giving you two playable characters and by alternating chapters rather than doing one point of view, then swap. Makes the plot flow really well, while not halting progress completely when you get bombarded with tutorials for the second character all at once.

Of course, 6 doesn't have that problem at all, one of the things I loved most about it was the focus only on Kiryu (its his story after all). If anything, the pace felt a bit too fast at times - felt like it was strongly wanting me to continue on with the story, rather than relax and enjoy some Mahjong! Maybe that was just me though, as I did desperately want to see where the plot went in later chapters. I think Judge Eyes managed to find a pretty ok balance between the plot and side stuff though.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I need them in my life!

it says in stock on and free shipping worldwide on their facebook (in stock on aug on amazon, but maybe just a placeholder)

https://www.facebook.com/asmustoy/posts/10155830720026968?__xts__[0]=68.ARAZSwFsmQpFEc_px5x_badhZ-8uW9jajRXIUiIgJt__Ftjg1UYW6e3auv5BIq7ghDuaBE3PkBoayIqYGU181L7ka6sTLwP1lFPfnWSe_KgmjxBuIuZXgsvH3F8lO0oQqQjUaWYf08ud3HZ9q2gXgirLB_NI1wFSwh-c_4v9uE_3a8UUSUozkebXPyEtlx-SaBps5RPc6vYh6uR9Vy7okG_zCEnR2RsiLnnjaOPT0R0Tp2AKluq9T4KvwJekCXC88WBMzAZu8Wkr1Z0m2AZ6K7Uc8XbkSPNEtSbfbCAxjvJkiFfooZYEaDHabA9nChufJXNYL3RRxA-pDwUl_zX1UAnDYfpC0MshbT6mL-d-eM-WaBQv&__tn__=-R

but if you go to their website it says shipping to japan, hong kong, taiwan only

i dont really know whats going on but it looks like an amazon is a partner of asmus toys so i think we should be good if you order from them, i dunno.

i just wanna make sure i get one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1265

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody able to point me in the direction of the cheapest place to get Kiwami on PC in NA? I want to double dip (was in day one on PS4) but ideally at a bit of a discount.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Just beat Yakuza 0 as my first in the series. Damn, what a good story. I bought Yakuza 4 actually first for PS3 but I don't remember any of the story, and I barely just had made it to about Chapter 4. Can't wait to play the rest of these in order. Damn, Sega did good with this series.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Just rolled credits on 4. One of my favorite stories in the series so far, although I consider the actual game design a bit of a mixed bag.

On to 5, in between Anthem..

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Yakuza 0 as my first in the series. Damn, what a good story. I bought Yakuza 4 actually first for PS3 but I don't remember any of the story, and I barely just had made it to about Chapter 4. Can't wait to play the rest of these in order. Damn, Sega did good with this series.
Despite loving Yakuza 4, I've forgotten an awful lot of that story as well (bar the really crazy plot twists). Glad you enjoyed 0 :)

Just rolled credits on 4. One of my favorite stories in the series so far, although I consider the actual game design a bit of a mixed bag.

On to 5, in between Anthem..
The one thing I really remember loving in 4 was the finale set of fights. Despite my issues with
Daigo
as a character sometimes I felt his and Kiryu's confrontation at the end to be the most epic (and surprising, in boss choice) of the bunch.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
One of my few problems with Zero is how it literally retreads an exact theme of Yakuza 2, and lessens its importance since we see the same angle twice.

Still love both games though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
One of my few problems with Zero is how it literally retreads an exact theme of Yakuza 2, and lessens its importance since we see the same angle twice.

Still love both games though.

Which theme exactly, I'm thinking you mean
dragon vs dragon? Or am I way off? As I definitely feel that 2 was way, way more powerful in that regard - in that the whole Kamuro Vs Kansai Dragons was better developed than Shibusawa's last minute reveal. But I do think dragons are overdone in the tattoo department in the series - haven't a few others had dragons as well? I know Ichiban has one as well, with its "gimmick" that its part Carp, part Dragon with the symbolism that its mid evolution - like how it was mentioned in 1 that Nishiki's Carp would "evolve" once he beat Kiryu and got Tojo's top spot, its sorta implied that Ichiban's character will evolve as Shin RGG progresses. I think? Its a cool idea anyway whatever it means.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Despite loving Yakuza 4, I've forgotten an awful lot of that story as well (bar the really crazy plot twists). Glad you enjoyed 0 :)

The one thing I really remember loving in 4 was the finale set of fights. Despite my issues with
Daigo
as a character sometimes I felt his and Kiryu's confrontation at the end to be the most epic (and surprising, in boss choice) of the bunch.

Yeah the entire set of fights was amazing, really climatic and satisfying way to tie up all the loose ends

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Which theme exactly, I'm thinking you mean
dragon vs dragon? Or am I way off? As I definitely feel that 2 was way, way more powerful in that regard - in that the whole Kamuro Vs Kansai Dragons was better developed than Shibusawa's last minute reveal. But I do think dragons are overdone in the tattoo department in the series - haven't a few others had dragons as well? I know Ichiban has one as well, with its "gimmick" that its part Carp, part Dragon with the symbolism that its mid evolution - like how it was mentioned in 1 that Nishiki's Carp would "evolve" once he beat Kiryu and got Tojo's top spot, its sorta implied that Ichiban's character will evolve as Shin RGG progresses. I think? Its a cool idea anyway whatever it means.
Yeah, "There can only be one dragon!" was overused, they should have been smarter than to pull that out again for Yakuza 0. Shoulda given Shibusawa a tengu for his backpiece, or something. The rivalry with Ryuji and the Dragon of Kansai vs the Dragon of Kanto was a lot better than "who is the true Dragon of Dojima!"
In their defense, the overuse of dragon tattoos is because the series isn't called Yakuza in Japan, but Like a Dragon. Ichiban has at least a unique take on it, looking like a Gyarados. :P

I also think they messed up on Saejima's tattoo--it looks like a cheaper version of Shimano's. Taiga should've gotten Byakko/white tiger, that shit looks fierce as fuck in irezumi:

f63ecf6badeeb7a5cac452d030975d2e--b%E1%BA%AFp-tay-serra.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Good point on the "Like a Dragon" thing. Keep forgetting that's what RGG actually translates to. Then again, have we ever had someone with a Phoenix tattoo? (I honestly forget), I know Shenmue does the whole Dragon/Phoenix thing but they could have easily borrowed the idea.

I also forgot both Shimano and Saejima rocked a tiger. But I do agree the above Tiger would have been a cool choice. Makes me wonder if Kaito and Hamura in Judge Eyes have tattoos (they are Yakuza after all...)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That tweet is on point. The orphan bits of 3 might not be the most action packed of sections, but it shows a great side to Kiryu beyond his badass side. I like caring Kiryu, makes me like him more as a well rounded character compared to most action heroes in games that just come across as macho meatheads that like to shoot things (sorry everybody in Gears of War ;) )

Plus it also houses one of my favourite bits with Kiryu and Rikiya in the entire game when they
put on the masked wrestling match for Taichi (best orphan). Complete with some hilarious foul play and Taichi body slamming Rikiya. Its a really nice kind moment before some of the serious plot points the later chapters pile on you. Also in grand Yakuza tradition this is referenced again in Yakuza 5 where Kiryu dons the mask one final time to help out a wrestler he meets. Which really does ask the question - out of all the things he packed with him when he left the orphanage, why on earth was that mask one of them?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Y3 feels the most like a Jdrama, especially the orphanage stuff. It was my first Yakuza and I was really disappointed the orphanage was hardly in Y4.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Hey guys weird question here, but does anyone know of anyone good resources concerning the localization of the recent series entries? I'm interested in how the localizers make the setting accessible to western audience while still keeping the story distinct and giving flavor. Anything about 0 is especially interesting since the bubble era is much less familiar to western audiences than it is to Japanese audiences.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Asked in the Discord already, but I may as well ask here too. Any ideas for the Kiwami PC OT title?
Hey guys weird question here, but does anyone know of anyone good resources concerning the localization of the recent series entries? I'm interested in how the localizers make the setting accessible to western audience while still keeping the story distinct and giving flavor. Anything about 0 is especially interesting since the bubble era is much less familiar to western audiences than it is to Japanese audiences.
The localization producers, Scott Strichart and Sam Mullen, had a series of streams that are exactly what you're looking for. I'm pretty sure you can find them all archived on YouTube under "The Yakuza Adventures of Scott and Sam".