• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Man I've yet to play Kiwami 2...but it's in my backlog!

Considering I've played 0, 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6, Kiwami 2 would technically mark the last game I'd play as Kiryu, excluding Ishin and Kenzan, I don't want it to end ;_;

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Man I've yet to play Kiwami 2...but it's in my backlog!

Considering I've played 0, 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6, Kiwami 2 would technically mark the last game I'd play as Kiryu, excluding Ishin and Kenzan, I don't want it to end ;_;
Play Dead Souls then. Your welcome ;) But seriously, play Kiryu's section in Dead Souls, its worth it for the beginning alone. Its unintentionally? hilarious, what with Kiryu's no kill policy.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Play Dead Souls then. Your welcome ;) But seriously, play Kiryu's section in Dead Souls, its worth it for the beginning alone. Its unintentionally? hilarious, what with Kiryu's no kill policy.
Oh I even played Dead Souls, that Anti-Material Rifle was a thing of beauty to use and it completely destroyed Rasetsu Amon.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If you can, try doing a playthrough on FOTNS with the Kiryu skin (using Japanese VA). It works incredibly well since the skin is carried over into most cutscenes as well.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Asked in the Discord already, but I may as well ask here too. Any ideas for the Kiwami PC OT title?

The localization producers, Scott Strichart and Sam Mullen, had a series of streams that are exactly what you're looking for. I'm pretty sure you can find them all archived on YouTube under "The Yakuza Adventures of Scott and Sam".
Oh wow, that sounds great. I'll look for them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its also got some of the best moments with Kiryu in the entire series. And the more I play the game, the more Shinada's part of the game becomes my favourite. Honestly, if they could have given Akiyama more to do and more plot in the game I'd have been happy, not to mention rebalance some of Saejima's stuff early on to
get him to the city a chapter earlier, as the content in that part is balanced heavily toward the end of the part after spending two whole chapters in prison

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Scott Strichart tweet this interview earlier due to a localization shout out but there was a quote from Nagoshi on Yakuza Online.

https://www.otaquest.com/toshihiro-nagoshi-interview-part-three/

Sekai: Both Ichiban Kasuga and Kazuma Kiryu are set to make an appearance side-by-side in Yakuza Online leading many fans to suspect the story will be a "passing of the baton" between the two.

If this is the case, it's likely that this will prove an important plotline before releasing "Shin Yakuza". Because of this, is there any plans to bring Yakuza Online to the Western market?

Nagoshi: I can't really share anything about the story, and in terms of relations between Kiryu and Kasuga, it's too early to say. I can't make a promise either, but I'd like to eventually see Yakuza Online make its way to the West.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I like the sound of that. I wanted no Kiryu in Shin. Just don't have him appear at all. Nagoshi mentioned in the past that they didn't want him in for at least a couple of Ichiban titles, I was hoping they'd stick to that. That said, that would kinda explain some of the ongoing "mysterious" character plot points in Online.

lemonade

May 8, 2018

Just watched this interview. A lot of interesting information in this. I didn't know Takaya Kuroda was a kickboxer.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

Just watched this interview. A lot of interesting information in this. I didn't know Takaya Kuroda was a kickboxer.

Thank you for sharing this. Put it on my "to watch later" list, sounds super interesting. Haven't read or watched an interview with any of those guys featured in it in a long time.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So, I finished FoTNS: Lost Paradise and it was as awesome, melodramatic and incredible as I expected from the Yakuza team. I swear, this guys have something that just allow them to make incredible funny and touching games with ease.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if they have a console deal with Sony? Zero on Switch would be a game changer.
No. There's no such console deal with the games, Yakuza 1 and 2 were on the Wii U after all. 5 may have had some deal initially since its the only one Sony helped in some way get released in English (this was back when the series was dead over here).
As for game changing, not really seeing that myself. Consider that the ports/remasters always sell worse than the initial releases in Japan (see sales for any remaster/remake of the series in Japan) I don't really see yet another port of 0 pushing the needle for the series. Outside of Japan? Maybe but I don't really see it being game changing myself.

Plus other than PC ports (with mods and all the perks that PC ports bring) I really don't want the team spending resources on yet more old ports. I'd rather they instead focus on making a new series/sub series of Yakuza exclusively for the Switch. Bit like what they did with Kurohyou 1 and 2 for the PSP. New protagonist, maybe a new city and new activities. I'd be far more interested for that concept. Otherwise a Yakuza 0 port for me would just be to have the mini games on the go (which admittedly would be cool)

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm early on in 5, but really, really really enjoying my time with it so far. The QOL improvements (?marks for sub story locations is huge!) and starting with Kiryu help a lot. But it plays great as well. Also already dig some of the characters like Komaki the Younger (what I call him anyway lol).

lemonade

May 8, 2018
After the crazy Yakuza marathon last year, for the first time I won't have a Yakuza game to play in over 10 months. And I'm already missing that world.

Can't wait for 3 remaster and Judge eyes to come out in the West so I can at least watch some of my favorite streamers play the games.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Do we know if they have a console deal with Sony? Zero on Switch would be a game changer.
There's no exclusivity but Yakuza's producers are very much against Yakuza on Nintendo consoles after the Wii U. They see it as poisoning the well forever.

They'll consider Xbox One in the future, but Switch is out.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
There's no exclusivity but Yakuza's producers are very much against Yakuza on Nintendo consoles after the Wii U. They see it as poisoning the well forever.

They'll consider Xbox One in the future, but Switch is out.

Didn't they mention the Yakuza series & Switch at some event a while back?

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's just Nagoshi attending on behalf of Sega as he's pretty high up in the company now. Be interesting to see what (if anything) comes of that, because I'm still sad his presence at the Vita announcement didn't give us at least a Yakuza port :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its just that the Wii U ports sold really, really, really badly (really). Like, 1,000 units in first week bad I think? So from there they've just not tried to put the series on Nintendo hardware again as they are focusing on where the core fanbase is (Playstation). But really since Yakuza runs on a new engine now that still has a few performance issues on the PS4 (Pro) in places, I see why they wouldn't bring the series to Switch using that engine (I doubt performance would be pretty). However with Judge Eyes and the upcoming Shin RGG it does put the series in a decent "reboot" position where you don't really have baggage from 7+ past games worth of plot to worry about, so who knows, maybe it'll be released on more platforms sooner?
Personally, I have my doubts and think PS4 (and eventually PS5) day one with PC ports later seems like the most likely bet at the moment. Maybe Xbox as well, not like the X couldn't run the games better than the PS4 Pro for sure but with the series and devs being focused on the Asian audience I have doubts they'll put much stock in doing Xbox ports (Sega of America/Europe would have to lobby for it). But hey, who knows. TGS in September should be when we hear more about the next game in the series.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always found the demand for Yakuza on Switch a bit strange, I mean, yeah I'd love to play some of those in portable mode and I could see all titles up to Kiwami 1 running on Switch no problem, but then what? Do people honestly expect Dragon Engine to be feasible on it?

A big reason to port stuff to other consoles is to find new long term homes for the series. Yakuza could perfectly have titles released simultaneously both on PS5 and PC in the future, maybe even Xbox if there's a market there. Switch not so much.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between hunting and taxi driving as my favourite side bit in 5. There's a lot of fun to be had with both, but I guess the taxi stuff has the distinct advantage of not having 100 menu's to leap through when your swapping out traps. 5 has some really good normal side stories as well, like one of Kiryu's that has parallels to an event in Yakuza 1, one of Haruka's interviews, Saejima the Santa Hunter/helping the matchstick girl/fighting more bears etc.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Also, another chapter released for RGG Online, this one is lighter on the action, but have some returning faces:
https://dojimasdragongirl.wordpress...ry-summary-part-9/comment-page-1/#comment-536

So as I suspected going by the teaser at the end of the last chapter, Komaki turns up, along with Saigo (who's been in Yakuza 4-6). Its... a different chapter, as the team quite willingly just live out on the streets (or in the sewers) for 2 months as a part of some strange training. I can see this bit either a) cut in the console release as I don't see the game turning into a survival game for a chapter, or b) a series of humorous cutscenes that chronicle the 2 month period - the writing team is pretty good with humour, Judge Eyes is the latest example of that so I think that this could work as a montage. Or they just have both Komaki and Saigo turn up and you train with them in a different way to enhance your moves/unlock new moves like Komaki's counters.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
The taxi missions in Yakuza 5 were definitely my favorite side activity (which is hard to pick, because all of the side activities are great in it IMHO). I just wish there were more missions were you're actually driving and not just talking. As funny as the latter were, I really enjoyed the driving parts inside the city. The racing was fun, too. Nobody stood a chance with my modified racing taxi with the Haruka livery.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm definitely stopping to smell all the roses as I play Y5 as opposed to how I rushed through 3-4. It's dawning on me that I only have one adventure with Kiryu left after this :( .

Also this and MGSIV are the last games on my PS3 I haven't finished, with the Demons Soul remaster looking likely I guess the old boy will be packed safely away in the closet after that.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I can't remember if it's on Y5 in which you have to pick up trash with Kiryu. I became obssesed with picking up every single shiny thing on the floor, even when I maxed out my rank lol

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember if it's on Y5 in which you have to pick up trash with Kiryu. I became obssesed with picking up every single shiny thing on the floor, even when I maxed out my rank lol

If there's something shiny on the ground, of course I will pick it up. In every Yakuza game. Love that it was literal trash in Yakuza 5 with Kiryu though. Felt good cleaning the town that way, haha. The Yakuza series is actually one of the games where I actually enjoy picking up collectibles on the ground, especially since they also have a purpose like the locker keys or the phone cards in 0. There's always a reward, so that's nice.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Sega is really investing a lot of money into the western release of Judgment. That's great to see! I hope it pays off for them.