• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I received my Kazuma Kiryu QBitz figure yesterday. It's pretty cool but even smaller than I imagined:

D1Z8hozW0AAKnEM.jpg

I paid 20 bucks for it, shipping included (to France). The shop didn't have the Majima figure though.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhh wait just one fucking minute here...

The credits are rolling on Kiwami 2 for me right now as I type this and...WTF?!

Someone PLEASE tell me I don't have to play Yakuza 3 to see what just happened!!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
lol. Yakuza has been doing the after credits thing longer than the MCU I think? (I think 2 has it beat by a year or so?) 3 has a similar cliff hangar moment after the credits as well. Though for 3's scene, I kinda wish it wasn't there because in my dream scenario
the idea of getting 4 and not knowing Kiryu was alive somehow until his fight against Saejima would have been an amazing reveal moment. Would never have happened but if Ichiban ever gets to go one on one with Kiryu I'd rather not know in advance

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I agree shadowman that would have been a badass setup for Yakuza 4.

So I've been listening to various yakuza stuff as I work and I happened to click onto the YouTube of BakaMitai for Kiryu in Yakuza 5. I'm dead from laughing so hard that the picture he cries over in this one is of Pochitarro 😂

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol. Yakuza has been doing the after credits thing longer than the MCU I think? (I think 2 has it beat by a year or so?) 3 has a similar cliff hangar moment after the credits as well. Though for 3's scene, I kinda wish it wasn't there because in my dream scenario
the idea of getting 4 and not knowing Kiryu was alive somehow until his fight against Saejima would have been an amazing reveal moment. Would never have happened but if Ichiban ever gets to go one on one with Kiryu I'd rather not know in advance

Stingers have been a thing long before Marvel started doing them in 2008, anyways the shock ending of Yakuza 2 never got me because Yakuza 3 was announced around the time 2 came out in the West, so I was like "lol I know this ain't the end."

Somewhat happened again with 5, but I think I was aware of the story and played (well STUMBLED) through the Japanese version before 6's proper announcement.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Alright come hell or high water I'm learning mahjong via Kiwami 2 tonight. Let's see how this goes.

So far the rules list alone is intimidating. Now on to the 24 slides about different hands haha

Last edited:

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Pierre Taki, who's playing a character in Judgemnt / Judge Eyes, got arrested doing cocaine. Drugs are super illegal in Japan, so if a celebrity gets caught with them, all their work gets immediately removed from the public eye. Sega has already announced that they're halting the sale of Judge Eyes (both physical and digital) for the time being now. I'm sure it'll eventually go on sale again later, but it's a pretty bad situation. Hopefully this won't affect the western release.

Last edited:

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Shitty news. Hopefully it doesn't affect the western release.

Judge Eyes is truly a great game and a delay would be really unfortunate.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
While a delay would suck, I hope that if it's too long (say into 2020) we get the PS4 remasters of 3-5 (or Ishin) this year.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As I've stated elsewhere, unless they put the game back on sale with Hamura intact you'll get getting a vastly inferior experience. The actor did an amazing job, and his likeness was perfect for the character. So changing him would make any newer version completely inferior unless they get another amazing actor to reprise the role, and I don't see that happening.

But I guess for any sequel they'd (end game spoilers)
just leave him in prison, I can't imagine after his testimony at the end of JE that he'd get away without some sort of jail term, so that's the end of him in the series then.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Will a Japanese disc work in a NA PS4? May grab on depending on how this plays out. Though it'll suck since I speak exactly 0 Japanese.

Absolutely. Its region free. I got my copy of the game reinstalled after this news, auto updates disabled just in case they do anything naughty like trying to patch in a new version of Hamura eventually (I like him just the way he is thanks).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are some playthroughs on Youtube by now to pick up on bits of the story. I got the main gist of everything on my playthrough, missed a couple of more convoluted/confusing bits that I was hoping the English release would smooth over, but guess I'll have to wait a little longer for that now.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Man, Mahjong is kicking my ass. I played for 2-3 hours last night and only managed to win at the easy table. I'm going to keep at it, though. At least I have 2 million plus yen from my first playthrough so I don't have to worry about the buy ins.

I don't really understand the prevailing winds stuff at all though

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I received my Kazuma Kiryu QBitz figure yesterday. It's pretty cool but even smaller than I imagined:

D1Z8hozW0AAKnEM.jpg

I paid 20 bucks for it, shipping included (to France). The shop didn't have the Majima figure though.
Where did you get it from? I have a friend who ordered it off of amiami and they still havent gotten it.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-posting some of my thoughts from the Pierre Taki thread:

Browsing through Japanese news websites it's clear that everyone is pretty much desperate to remove every single bit of Pierre Taki. In his hometown they've removed manhole covers with him on them as well as cancelling a local TV show he had. He was also the composer of a local PR song with lyrics written by the late Momoko Sakura. According to the article, they often used it at local events and even played it inside the lifts of the City Hall. They won't be doing that anymore. NHK also already announced that they're going to cut all episodes of their current Olympic-themed taiga drama that have Pierre Taki in them. They will instead only air the ones that don't feature him.

The scandal's fallout is reaching a point where companies, organizations etc might think that keeping any mention of him (or any celebrity who had a scandal, really) around might be seens as a form of support or something.

I strongly believe that we can kiss goodbye to the current release date of Judgment in the west. It's going to be expensive, but right now I do believe that Sega will re-cast Taki, put a new likeness in the game and record all scens that feature his character anew for both the Japanese and the wordwide market. And considering how people, who played the Japanese version of Judgement, said that Taki did a phenomenal job voicing his character, it would definitely be a huge loss, but still better than not getting the game at all (of course in my opinion they should just let the game untouched and not change anything at all). Of course cancelling that's still an option, but I doubt Sega will just do that after already putting so much money into it.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Sega going all out with Judgment and this happens. It certainly seems like the Western release will be delayed at best.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm starting to seriously suspect it's less "we're deciding whether to let this slide or not" and more "we're trying to figure out if we can replace him quickly enough." At best they roll with it but immediately patch him out once they get someone else slotted in and replacing his performance.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i finished yakuza kiwami last week and gave it about a week to stew (plus been playing dmc5)

i've decided I really want to play kiwami 2, but a) it's still like $70+ dollarydoos here in aus, b) i like to play these on the PC, (I already have a PS4 though) and c) i'm pretty concerned that I'll get overloaded with Yakuza - especially after the shit-tier combat that was higher level Kiwami fights.

any advice? I'm not short for other games to play, I just really really like Yakuza.

Also for future, are we thinking 3, 4 and 5 will ever get remade? I especially want to play 4 since I hear it's very Majima focused.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
i finished yakuza kiwami last week and gave it about a week to stew (plus been playing dmc5)

i've decided I really want to play kiwami 2, but a) it's still like $70+ dollarydoos here in aus, b) i like to play these on the PC, (I already have a PS4 though) and c) i'm pretty concerned that I'll get overloaded with Yakuza - especially after the shit-tier combat that was higher level Kiwami fights.

any advice? I'm not short for other games to play, I just really really like Yakuza.

Buy it. It's the latest Yakuza release and it benefits immensely from everything they've learned. Plus it's on the dragon engine which is different from Yakuza Kiwami and much more advanced. The fighting etc "feels" diff and there is no loading into/out of stores

Also for future, are we thinking 3, 4 and 5 will ever get remade? I especially want to play 4 since I hear it's very Majima focused.

They're all being remastered, just no western release date.

Also Kiwami 2 has a whole Majima sub-main-story with his own playable chapters.

If you really love Majima my advice is to play Yakuza 0 before Kiwami 2, though

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
already played 0 so good on that front! Thanks!

Think I will bite the bullet, just gotta get all this devil triggering out of my system first

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Alright!!! I beat all 4 Mahjong tables and both tournaments without using the peerless tile! Only thing I used it for is that one substory involving mahjong..you know the one. (In Kiwami 2)

Feels like the hardest thing I have left on completion list is Oicho Kabu or Shogi related

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Alright!!! I beat all 4 Mahjong tables and both tournaments without using the peerless tile! Only thing I used it for is that one substory involving mahjong..you know the one. (In Kiwami 2)

Feels like the hardest thing I have left on completion list is Oicho Kabu or Shogi related

Oichi Kabu is pretty easy, rule set wise its very straight forward (Koi Koi for my money is the trickier, but more fun one) and Shogi is actually super easy as you have a button/option that shows you the next move you should take - with the only catch is that you have to wait a few seconds (can be several for later moves) before the game shows you where to move. So essentially you should have pretty much the hardest stuff behind you :)

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Oichi Kabu is pretty easy, rule set wise its very straight forward (Koi Koi for my money is the trickier, but more fun one) and Shogi is actually super easy as you have a button/option that shows you the next move you should take - with the only catch is that you have to wait a few seconds (can be several for later moves) before the game shows you where to move. So essentially you should have pretty much the hardest stuff behind you :)

Sweet! Time to enjoy myself more or less. Actually looking forward to Haruka's requests

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet! Time to enjoy myself more or less. Actually looking forward to Haruka's requests
Watch out for the Golf bingo request of hers. As its one that actually requires quite a bit of skill to get. Only other one I recall being annoying was the Poker requirement as using the cheat items only made enemies more cagey and less likely to bet big (so that only makes things harder honestly!)

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Watch out for the Golf bingo request of hers. As its one that actually requires quite a bit of skill to get. Only other one I recall being annoying was the Poker requirement as using the cheat items only made enemies more cagey and less likely to bet big (so that only makes things harder honestly!)

Yep, I had that allllmost beat on my NG playthrough so it'll just take some patience to get on NG+ I think.

No idea about poker, I know the basics like most people but haven't ever played it in Yakuza...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just remember the AI of Poker in Kiwami 2 being a bit annoying. Weirdly though its really nice in Judge Eyes, I really enjoyed playing it, much more than Black Jack that's fore sure. Ditto Koi Koi, had great fun with that in JE. FOTNS has a good item that increases your gambling odds in Poker and BJ, so in Pokers case its easier in a pleasant way, and in BJ it meant you stood a much better chance of winning/getting BJ. Makes grinding for points way easier for sure.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Good news Japanese fans, RGG5 finally got a date on the PS4:
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/yakuza-5-for-ps4-launches-june-20-in-japan

June 20th in Japan, and in case anyone new reads this - there are no dates (or news) for these getting released outside of Asia, no English subtitles.

I can't wait. Yakuza 5 is still my favourite of the games in terms of gameplay, nothing can beat its variety and while I have some issues with the story, I absolutely love Shinada's story segment. So this in 60FPS? Cannot wait, its gonna be so damn good. Time to punch another bear in the face.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the weird ghost/clone attacks in 5. Its all very weird when 3 different bosses use it and no one really bats an eyelid. Amon is ok as his fights are always very odd, but when Saejima's trainer starts flying, shooting fireballs etc. and he just goes along with the whole divine spirit thing willingly makes me wonder what other weird shit happens in that world that we don't see.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Pleased to see 5 finally have a release. Let's hope the bundle with see Western shores before the end of the year.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
No updates so far. And frankly I think it'll take a bit longer before we hear anything new about it. Probably around the same time they're saying what's going to the Japanese version as well.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 5 in all its glory -

Honestly feels like just yesterday that Sony threw the series a lifeline and people were urged to buy it to revive the series.

Look at where we are a few years down the line.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Yakuza 5 in all its glory -

Honestly feels like just yesterday that Sony threw the series a lifeline and people were urged to buy it to revive the series.

Look at where we are a few years down the line.

LMAO. Suzuki and So Much More are back ! !

Surprised they put that character death reveal in the trailer. Spoilers bro.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i'm playing kiwami 2 and i'm having a blast, i can't believe i have so much yakuza still to go ahead of me. i'm so happy.

i just wish the brawling wasn't what it is (eh, but better than kiwami 1) but what can you do