• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Better than Kiwami's combat? Interesting... I prefer the rush and beast styles myself, as well as the all powerful tiger drop. But each to their own. Then again I really like the combat in these games, its no Dante from DMC5, but I like it!

That Yakuza 5 box art looks nice, superior Saejima haircut for sure. Also, I promise mr. loneshark I'll actually remmeber your name this time around, I mean, he's the best character in the game after all. Also, never noticed it before but lol at Aizawa not even getting included on the front cover, chump continues to be a chump to this day.

Oh, and actually looking on Yakuza 5's webpage for the PS4 version it shows the activities you can do, and it still includes Taiko Drum Master. As a third party title, I was mildly concerned that it may not make the cut, but not to worry its still in. YEAH! Just wish it had more songs to play...
Gospel of Judas is still the main theme as well, which is great news. Just wonder if all the celebrity cameo's will make it in or if they'll get changed, will be interesting.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
They use the same updated engine as 0 and Kiwami for 5, so most of the graphics got a subtle bump. Some bad bits if you look - the water in the opening cutscene (and by water, I mean oil slick) and some textures are unreadable. But some animations (like walking (up.down stairs is much better than before).

Trailer out for the PS4 release, in glorious 30FPS so you can really notice that improved framerate /s

Its a brilliant trailer though as its 5 minutes of basically why Yakuza 5 is awesome, showing off lots of mini games, another drama and story backed with music from the game and an overly enthusiastic announcer (to be fair, I'd be that hyped if I were narrating it). Keep in mind this is the most spoiler filled trailer for the series yet, bar maybe Kiwami 2's, so don't watch if you've not played Yakuza 5 before.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
To everyone who finished Yakuza 6 and got really emotional: In case you didn't check it, but go to the karaoke bar and select the now unlocked song called 'Hands'. Prepare to get even more emotional!

And yes, the ending of Yakuza 6 made me really emotional. I remember thinking about it for several days and crying watching the credits roll over the screen. It's been quite the ride since 2006 that didn't just involve the game's narrative, but everything surround the series in the west.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I can't imagine how y'all who have played Yakuza from the start felt when the end of that one hit. I've only been on board for some months and it still made me emotional...

Actually I only played 0 1 and 6. But I've played all three in like a month so I was very invested in the story of Kiryu.

When I have some money I'll buy Kiwami 2, I need more Kiryu in my life.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
To everyone who finished Yakuza 6 and got really emotional: In case you didn't check it, but go to the karaoke bar and select the now unlocked song called 'Hands'. Prepare to get even more emotional!

And yes, the ending of Yakuza 6 made me really emotional. I remember thinking about it for several days and crying watching the credits roll over the screen. It's been quite the ride since 2006 that didn't just involve the game's narrative, but everything surround the series in the west.

The ending got me pretty emotional but I wasn't ready for Hands. I love that song but it makes me so sad at the same time. I truly hope we'll see Kiryu again.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I only played 0 1 and 6. But I've played all three in like a month so I was very invested in the story of Kiryu.

When I have some money I'll buy Kiwami 2, I need more Kiryu in my life.

Watching Haruka grow over the course of the series into an adult (and seeing everyone age, really) was such an unique experience. It definitely made the story of Yakuza 6 even more emotional for me, having to take care of Haruto and everything. I fondly remember playing Yakuza 6 last year for over a month before I finished it. Lovely memories.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
5 had a pretty great open ending at the time, which totally got me, especially as it took Sega a few years to announce 6. And then 6's ending finished me off, it was so darn good even if I had a few issues with parts of the ending.

And much like the wait between 5 to 6, the wait from 6 to Shin RGG is really getting to me - I really can't wait to see where they are taking the series and Kamurocho next. FOTNS and Judge Eyes were wonderful side stories, but I'm ready for the next mainline game now!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
5 had a pretty great open ending at the time, which totally got me, especially as it took Sega a few years to announce 6. And then 6's ending finished me off, it was so darn good even if I had a few issues with parts of the ending.

And much like the wait between 5 to 6, the wait from 6 to Shin RGG is really getting to me - I really can't wait to see where they are taking the series and Kamurocho next. FOTNS and Judge Eyes were wonderful side stories, but I'm ready for the next mainline game now!

I resisted my personal urge to import the Japanese version of 5, still hoping that Sega would release an English version one day (and they sure did thankfully, even if it was years later). Before it got released in English, the first details about 6's story were already out. After finally finishing 5 I could very well imagine how brutal it must've been to wait for the next game considering how open 5's ending was.

I absolutely can't wait for the next installment. I do believe we're getting some info at TGS this year.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I resisted my personal urge to import the Japanese version of 5, still hoping that Sega would release an English version one day (and they sure did thankfully, even if it was years later). Before it got released in English, the first details about 6's story were already out. After finally finishing 5 I could very well imagine how brutal it must've been to wait for the next game considering how open 5's ending was.

I absolutely can't wait for the next installment. I do believe we're getting some info at TGS this year.

I know it's wishful thinking but I hope that the new protagonist sings as good as Kiryu.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its just the PS3 cover in colour (with a cigarette airbrushed out, lol!), they should just get rid of either Morinaga or Mayumi and replace one of them with Watase (fuck, remove both and get Katsuya or Kanai on that cover as well, or Aizawa I guess). Watase for sure deserves to be on the cover considering how damn badass the guy is in the game, really hoping he pops up again in Shin RGG running the Omi now.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Its just the PS3 cover in colour (with a cigarette airbrushed out, lol!), they should just get rid of either Morinaga or Mayumi and replace one of them with Watase (fuck, remove both and get Katsuya or Kanai on that cover as well, or Aizawa I guess). Watase for sure deserves to be on the cover considering how damn badass the guy is in the game, really hoping he pops up again in Shin RGG running the Omi now.
I'm amazed that Mayumi gets a spot on the cover, lol.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017

Oh yeah lol didn't even realized it was the japanese cover with the cigarette removed.
Yeah for sure, we need more Watase running Omi in the Shin Yakuza.

I'm amazed that Mayumi gets a spot on the cover, lol.

Yep it's ridiculous, she being in there instead of Ms. Park makes no sense.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it was a wild ride at the time wondering where the series was going next, I honestly forget what they said after 5, but seeing as we got Ishin and then 0, I genuinely had no idea just where they were going to go with the series after that (but on the bright side, we got two awesome spinoff games!)

Whatever we see at TGS this year, I can't wait for. Judge Eyes was a genuine surprise last year, and ended up being better than I thought it would be, so I'm hoping that Shin (assuming that's shown this year) will tap into the same hype. We'll see. At least I have RGG5 to look forward to in the mean time, replaying that is going to be a joy.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
So, it's finally official: Judgment will release in the west. Unfortunately without Pierre Taki. This confirms two things: They're going to re-release the game in Japan as well, making the initial release likely a rare collector's good (just play it without updating the game I guess). Second: Most of the work has to be done in Japan, because they need to change the likeness of his character, record all dialogue anew and then make it lip synch for the English dub version. At least Sega of America doesn't have to re-record his character. Apparently the game will still release on time. I really hope that's the case. That's actually the most surprising part for me. I definitely thought the game would get delayed until the end of the year.

Of course it sucks big time that Pierre Taki is getting axed. I haven't played the Japanese version, but the new actor has some very big shoes to fill apparently. But at least we're getting the game and it's not getting cancelled. While I never doubted that, it's still good to finally have confirmation on that front.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
No delay is great news. I didn't want the game crushed in the Fall lineup. No Taki is disappointing though seeing how damn good he was in the Japanese version. So I'll just keep hold of my Japanese copy for that (like my PS3 copy of 4 and Tanimura). Glad that Sega aren't letting the game die, its way too good for that fate.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Look what I did. I can't believe I stayed this long. Now I can platinum JE if I want to.
zuSvnYb.jpg

XYlZbmL.png

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Look what I did. I can't believe I stayed this long. Now I can platinum JE if I want to.
zuSvnYb.jpg

XYlZbmL.png

Long time no see! Nicely done on Puyo, its probably between that and some of the time trials that were the hardest things to do on the completion list to clear. Well, if the game actually forced you to finish Fighting Vipers I'd put that higher, but it does not. Wish I'd known that before banging my head against the BM brickwall for an hour.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I hope when RGG studio recast him, they will only redo the voice and slightly remodel the character.

I think Hamura's character model is really what makes him seem like a Yakuza boss, not necessarily his voice.

However, it definitely sucks for Pierre Taki, especially after watching his interview for Judge Eyes where he said he was a old school gamer and was very happy to be in a Sega game.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I hope when RGG studio recast him, they will only redo the voice and slightly remodel the character.

I think Hamura's character model is really what makes him seem like a Yakuza boss, not necessarily his voice.

However, it definitely sucks for Pierre Taki, especially after watching his interview for Judge Eyes where he said he was a old school gamer and was very happy to be in a Sega game.

I guess you could say he has a nose for gaming.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
What's the story with this Pierre Taki person, why are they going to this extreme to replace him in a game that's already finished and released?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Another new chapter is up for RGG Online, it basically deals with
Kagami - the second of the Omi kings. It has Ichiban and friends fighting through an arena tournament before facing off against Kagami. Pretty standard stuff, the highlights are Garry Buster Holmes showing up again, and another fight against a tiger (kinda wished they'd gone for a different exotic animal - we've had a bear and a tiger already!).

Now we finally have confirmation Shin RGG is coming to the PS4, I look forward to seeing how much of Online's story is used for the PS4 game.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished Yakuza 6.

After being there day one since og Y1 on PS2 the conclusion of the saga is pretty satisfactory though I can't shake the feeling that they wanted to end the series on 5 but at the last minute someone said: "Hold on. Not yet."

Warning 5&6 spilers.

The same ending event occurs where Kiryu is shot multiple times and dies but not really. They could've ended it like 6 right there.

The child storyline was very good
child takes first steps in new life when Kiryu takes last steps of his old life
but I didn't buy the whole Kiryu having such strong bounds with Hiroshima guys after such short time together. He had way stronger ties with Akiyama and Saejima because he knew them for long, true brotherhood.

Also at first I loved the dragon engine and it's new combat but I grew tired of it by the end, and I found I like the old one from 4&5 better.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I could see 3-5 being announced on one of the State of Play episodes. Just don't know how likely that will be prior to Judgment's release.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I see it as a E3 announcement - FOTNS style. All 3 games will pretty much be out in Japan by then (depending on the days E3 fall on) as will Judgment, so perfect time to start hyping them up. No idea on the release dates though.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Amon fight in 6. Oh boy.

Those fucking explosive vacuum cleaners are ruining everything. I also don't know what's happening when he spawns an orange bubble.

Got him to 20% multiple times but then I die in 1 second once heat mode ends. Whirwind attack + vacuums = death.

I must prepare better for this fight.

Shame there's no climax battles or boss rush in 6.

Is there fighting coliseum hidden somewhere?

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
State of Play seems like a good-sized event for any yakuza related announcements. They had a trailer during kindafunny's event for judgement and I assume state of play will be way bigger.

definitely going to be tuning in

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Amon fight in 6. Oh boy.

Those fucking explosive vacuum cleaners are ruining everything. I also don't know what's happening when he spawns an orange bubble.

Got him to 20% multiple times but then I die in 1 second once heat mode ends. Whirwind attack + vacuums = death.

I must prepare better for this fight.

Shame there's no climax battles or boss rush in 6.

Is there fighting coliseum hidden somewhere?

No arena, since the area where it'd normally be was not in 6, and for whatever reason they didn't just choose Stardust for the alternative (despite fitting the purpose quite well). Guess like many things its cut due to time constraints, good thing the arena in Kiwami 2 is so darn fun.

As for Amon, he's actually fairly easy when you know how. You can throw the roombas back at him (you gotta at one point to take his shield out) but for his big attack with them all, just make sure you have your Heat burst super mode powered up to the max - your invincible when in that mode and there's an unlock that means you can survive one fatal attack (the big bomb) if your in burst mode during it. But you'll be down to 1 HP so heal immediately. Then smack him around a bit more and he's done.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No arena, since the area where it'd normally be was not in 6, and for whatever reason they didn't just choose Stardust for the alternative (despite fitting the purpose quite well). Guess like many things its cut due to time constraints, good thing the arena in Kiwami 2 is so darn fun.

As for Amon, he's actually fairly easy when you know how. You can throw the roombas back at him (you gotta at one point to take his shield out) but for his big attack with them all, just make sure you have your Heat burst super mode powered up to the max - your invincible when in that mode and there's an unlock that means you can survive one fatal attack (the big bomb) if your in burst mode during it. But you'll be down to 1 HP so heal immediately. Then smack him around a bit more and he's done.

Thanks, that will help a lot.

I'll get Kiwami 2 but first wanna replay original 2 to see the differences better.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, that will help a lot.

I'll get Kiwami 2 but first wanna replay original 2 to see the differences better.
Excellent move. I've been looking over some of the exclusive content to Y2 and it makes me want too replay both 2 and Kiwami 2. But that'll have to wait.

On the bright side, this week I'll be starting my replay of Yakuza 4 finally. Taken ages to get to, but I put it off as I wanted the PS4 (Japanese) version to play as replaying 3 in 60FPS was such a wonderful experience. Looking forward to reminding myself about just how little of 4 I remember!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Any sniff of the mobile game making it to the west friends?
None. I don't hold out much hope on it happening honestly, stranger stuff has happened I guess. Its getting a big update in Japan at the end of the month that, by the looks of it adds the entire plot of RGG1 as optional content. Which is cool for anyone still playing I guess (I've not bothered myself, I've no real interest in the game outside of the artwork and story).

Speaking of art, some of the super rare cards look fantastic:

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
That Y6 lovin' earlier on this page got me listening to the soundtrack lately. That final battle and its music are still one of the most emotional, memorable moments for me in a video game.

Someya might be my favorite character arc, too. :'(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
With cabaret club in Kiwami 2 do you guys just continue doing ranking matches back to back until your hostesses get exhausted?[/QUOTE ]

For any of the club mini games, I continue using the girl until their personality is shown as a sad face in the stats screen. At that point I rest her for a shift (else she'll just call in sick for the next one anyway). And continue that way. For the big club ranking battles, I always make sure I do a normal battle right before I do them with Silver/Bronze rank girls and rest all the best girls, so they are fully healed for the next battle.

And as for the boss music talk I really like... oh wait Judgment still isn't out here. Ignore me then ;) But I'll just mention Kuze's boss music (both of them) rocking.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. Now that I shaved a bit off my backlog, and because June is all about both RGG5 (PS4) and Judgment I've started RGG4 on the PS4. Not done much, just started chapter 2 where things open up but wow is the res bump in this game bloody good. You of course see a big change when exploring during chapter 1 of Akiyama's part as the rain effect + the improved res just makes everything look so darn nice. And this is all made better by the wonderful 60FPS frame rate. So smooth.

Replaying Yakuza 4 and its weird how despite things being similar to previous games city wise, I've really missed the little underground mall area (where you play Pool), I'd basically forgotten completely about the parking garage. I'd also completely forgotten how strange/silly the whole Ueno control over the Tojo plot thing was. But then, who else but Daigo ;)

Mini game wise I've only tried Pool because I wanted to see if I'd retained any knowledge from clearing it in RGG3, and yeah second match in and I'm hitting 88% accuracy so that's very nice! I look forward to wasting so much time on the side stuff in the coming weeks.

And port wise, other than the expected improvements, you get items for having several Yakuza games on your HDD (including Judge Eyes) and best of all - there was a super minor issue in RGG3's port (which I've no idea if it were patched, game received quite a few updates) where cutscenes would slightly stutter for a brief moment, randomly and so far, in none of the cutscenes I've watched (and they've been pretty long) has the same issue been seen. So I really do wonder if the delay with 4 was RGGS kicking ass and making sure the game wasn't buggy in any way (RGG3 of course would crash once in a while when doing EX Hard Batting Cages at launch).

So yeah, fantastic port and I've high hopes for RGG5.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I didn't have any issues with PC version. Looked amazing. But I'll progably get Y0 on PS eventually, just to have the entire series in one folder.
Also I used a game pad to play except for the cabaret club mini games, having mouse and keyboard for that was awesome.
Wich is better to play Yakuza0....ps4 or pc?

Ive seen some graphic issues on pc version...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0's main graphical issues were fixed a patch or two ago. It should now be the definitive version of the game. So go with that.

Anyway, more Yakuza 4 played. I'd forgotten that most of Akiyama's side stories are all related to Sky Finance (which honestly is really nice, as the stories feel more focused and interesting to Akiyama's character). Saigo's training as an utter bastard to complete, not sure if hard mode makes it much harder but damn is his SMG fights brutal, even with healing items and improved dodging. I've got Akiyama powered up nicely now though, so I've got a nice little variety of moves to play with.

Cleared easy and normal Pool so far as well, which is now going well thanks to me getting back into my groove. Its actually rather fun when you know what your doing! (I'd be playing Mahjong if I had more money).