• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Will not get too excited until Sega confirms a western launch but it would be soo amazing.

giphy.gif

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
DOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!

ffs Sega, don't play with me like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Curious;

How do Yakuza fans that have played Ishin, rated Ishin compared to the others?

Among the top entries. It has a huge amount of fan service for people who've experienced the whole series too. Since characters from all the entries (up to Y5) show up and the game plays with your expectations of how they'll act and so on. The plot is really well constructed, it has some of the best dungeons in the series and a wonderful combat system.

Yakuza Ishin, Y2, Y6, Y0 & Y3 are top tier for me.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE GIVE IT TO US ALREADY, I've come THIS close to buying an import copy several times over the past two years or so - would LOVE to have this officially brought over. And they're not sure if there's appeal for it? Are they living under a rock & didn't see how Sekiro has been one of the most loved & talked about games this year!?

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
So we have western devs working on AAA budget samurai stuff, meanwhile, Japanese devs are not sure a samurai setting will work in the west.

Sega, you are dense...

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
This point of view is so strange to me. I feel like historic Japan is one of the most romanticized and desired setting for a large portion of western gamers. Get with the times Sega!

Well the problem is that the game doesn' try to explain what the Tokugawa era, Meiji era, and the Shinsengumi are, along with historical figures like Saito Haijime, because it's all considered common knowledge. It'd be like expecting an American game to go on a long exposition about who George Washington was. With that said, a quick read on wiki, or watching samurai anime, is more than adequate enough to get you through the story.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they think a Yakuza set in Feudal Japan with swords would have less appeal. Samurai shit is lit. Give me both titles they skipped out localizing.

Oct 25, 2017
Well the problem is that the game doesn' try to explain what the Tokugawa era, Meiji era, and the Shinsengumi are, along with historical figures like Saito Haijime, because it's all considered common knowledge. It'd be like expecting an American game to go on a long exposition about who George Washington was. With that said, a quick read on wiki, or watching samurai anime, is more than adequate enough to get you through the story.

The translation guide I used to play this basically explained the minutiae of the characters/history/plot as I was playing so maybe they'll do something similar.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Sony has a AAA samurai game in development but Sega is not sure with the success of samurai games in the west...

Aug 10, 2019
I get that the average western audience has a limited amount of knowledge about Japanese history, but it's an incredibly desired setting and what better way to to bring interest to Japanese history.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I get that the average western audience has a limited amount of knowledge about Japanese history, but it's an incredibly desired setting and what better way to to bring interest to Japanese history.

I agree, I'm just trying to framework it from their perspective. I don't think SEGA realizes that it's a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

belinho3

Dec 30, 2017
Cmon Sega, don't drop the ball on Kenzan.

Just localize both, slap it a 40$ tag and watch the money come in. People who are going to buy Ishin will also buy it if it's bundled with Kenzan.

You can't leave Kenzan sittng alone on the PS3 system, while literally every oher game moved on...

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
tales of Samurai and feudal Japan being popular outside of Japan? What an outrageous idea. I can completely understand why that was holding Sega back. There is literally 0 evidence for them out there that would suggest the West having some sort of fascination with pre industrial Japan. None whatsoever.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I put it in every category I could on that Sega survey that came out awhile ago. I am super interested in this.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to link my post of historic Japan set action games in a hope that Sega realizes that there's fans of games set back then. Also that games with historical figures people might not know didn't hurt the Assassins Creed series-
I made an incomplete list for myself a while ago focused on action games-

3D-
Way of the Samurai 1
Way of the Samurai 2
Way of the Samurai 3
Way of the Samurai 4
Sekiro
Onimusha
Genma Onimusha
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Soul of the Samurai
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
Tenchu: Fatal Shadows
Tenchu: Time of the Assassin
Tenchu: Dark Secret
Tenchu Z
Shadow Assault Tenchu
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
Shinobido
Shinobido: Tales of the Ninja
Shinobido 2: Revenge of the Ninja
Sakura Samurai
Blood Will Tell
Nioh
Nioh 2 (announced)
Otogi
Otogi 2
7 Blades
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
Genji: Days of the Blade
Toukiden /kiwami
Toukiden 2
Tian Xing: Swords of Destiny
Oz/ The Sword of Etheria
Afro Samurai
Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked
Ghost of Tsushima (not out yet)
Brave Fencer Musashi
Musashi: Samurai Legend
Simple 2000 28 The Bushido/ Katana Action
Red Ninja

Musou-
Sengoku Basara
Samurai Warriors
Warriors Orochi
Demon Chaos

2D-
Muramasa
Sumioni

Games never localized-
Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!
Ryu Ga Gotoku Isshin
Ukiyo no Shishi
Ukiyo no Roushi
Kamiwaza
Fu-un Shinsengumi
Fu-un Bakumatsuden
Ninkyouden: Toseinin Ichidaiki

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Playing devil's advocate:

To those that have already played the Japanese version, is there some piece of content in the game that most people don't know about that could potentially leave a terrible taste in the mouths of the Western audience? Spoiler tag if you need to.

Apr 24, 2018
I'm just going to think of his portrayal from Rurouni Kenshin XD

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I don't think it'd pull the kind of sales numbers that a numbered Yakuza game would, but I'd love to see this make its way over and they'd have my day one sale -- just like every other RGG studio game that has come our way.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just looked at the gameplay on Youtube. I would definitely buy it.

Come on Sega I know you guys read this forum.