• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Do they not know that Sekiro sold 3.8m copies in a few months ?

Srsly SEGA thats more than any game you have put out in the past decade or so. Pretty sure the "setting" isn't the problem. They shoulda done the risk way back when the PS4 lineup was quite weak. But now after so many succesful Samurai games ? theres no excuse.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure, do not consider it when the system launches and you got this amazing fresh new game on a system people are hungry for games and the offer feels like straving for a year and a half to two years, but consider it at the very end of the gen...

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
There was a survey. It was before Sekiro...
someone may have answered that they weren't sure the non Modern yakuza setting was best and didn't want to jeopardize the chance of them bringing over the others.
Sacrif....choices were made, and maybe I'm sorry. But we did get Yk3, 4, and 5.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
one reason mentioned for the hesitation is that they are not sure if the setting would appeal to the Western audience

Sure, let's just ignore every Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors release ever here, or Way of the Samurai 1-4, or the Onimusha series, or f'n Sekiro, or Ghost of Tsushima.

Who the hell would by that in the west..🙄

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

if i remember correctly it was already evoked in june by Sato, it was about a prospective Kiwami treatment for it, with english and chinese localization wishes clearly known.

edit
To me, the deciding factors have to be the popularity of samurai games lately, RGG style games localizations performing well and, of course, stardew valley success.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Sure, let's just ignore every Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors release ever here, or Way of the Samurai 1-4, or the Onimusha series, or f'n Sekiro, or Ghost of Tsushima.

Who the hell would by that in the west..🙄

yeah, I'm pretty sure they've given this same excuse before and it always seems rather silly to me. feudal japan holds plenty of appeal outside of japan

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Kenzan and Ishin may share a similiar setting but different eras. In Ishin Kiryu plays the role of Sakamoto Ryoma and in Kenzan he plays the role of Miyamoto Musashi. They are unrelated in plot so releasing them seperatly would be no problem, Kenzan could use the most work considering its age.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now: After they finish up the 3/4/5 remaster releases, we'll get a Dead Souls/Kenzan/Ishin HD collection to carry us out of the generation.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Where do these Japanese developers get that westerners don't like Japanese settings, especially samurai shit??? Did Sekiro not just come out and sell millions? Plus its got fucking Yakuza in the name, the fanbase is there, and apparently there are enough of us that they keep releasing them in the west, AND on Steam, a western centered platform.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The rest of the PS3 games coming over will work nicely on People's potato PCs and Laptops which are going to be announced of course. The fact they put kiwami 2 out on PC before 6 means they are commited to the correct time-line release of games on there. The series being brought over completly was a fever dream 5 years ago but it's charm and a new audience that can appreciate the nonsense has finally brought us this far.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

giphy.gif

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I still have a ton of Yakuza games left to play, but hopefully they will decide to localize this one too.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Every time i play an Yakuza game i take the time to answer the survey they send and i beg for Kenzan and Ishin. WHY U NOT LISTENING TO ME SEGA?!!!!!! Just do it already :P

They also tought Yakuza 0 might not be interesting to western audience, and its the game more praised from the series.
They made these serie focused in male japanese audience, and they think no one else will like them. Yes we dooooooooooooo.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Where do these Japanese developers get that westerners don't like Japanese settings, especially samurai shit??? Did Sekiro not just come out and sell millions? Plus its got fucking Yakuza in the name, the fanbase is there, and apparently there are enough of us that they keep releasing them in the west, AND on Steam, a western centered platform.
One possible reason for Kenzan not coming over were themes about child prostitution in that era which was maybe too controversial a plot point for PS3 era Sega at the time. Ishin really had no good reason other then western people wouldn't quite get the historical characters as a normal japanese person who just knows these guys from history class.

Oct 27, 2017
I will put down money for Ishin and Kenzan Kiwami SEGA, Japanese settings do very well commercially.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I will put down money for Ishin Remastered and Kenzan Kiwami SEGA, Japanese settings do very well commercially.
Why does Ishin need remastering? Its the same engine as 0 and Kiwami, just localise it and call it a day. I mean, there are some refinements that I'd be welcome to seeing, but that's all basically stuff to cut the epic grind for the plat trophy down, the game itself plays darn good as is, no real changes needed there.
Kenzan is the one I want remastered, not remade personally. Old engine in 60FPS and 1080p. Add in a completion list and trophies and your done. Sure it wouldn't look as nice as a remake, but I don't personally feel the game is in drastic need of it, I'd rather the main force of the studio be put into new games (in the series). The only old game I see needing a proper remake is Dead Souls as the controls/shooting in that game is jank to a level that really needs to be addressed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I am not against a straight localization, whatever will encourage them to bring it over, I'll edit it out. As far as a Kenzan localization goes, I think it would only happen if it gets the Kiwami treatment and I am basing my wishes off of Sato's comments.

Yeah, I'm aware of those comments, and honestly a remake seems far more likely. I'm being greedy and just saying what I'd personally prefer, even though there's probably more appeal over here with a prettier remake vs a remaster of a decade old game!

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
As was the case with Judgment I wouldn't buy this, but I do support a western release for those who do want it. The days of games being left to rot in just one region oughta be long since over!

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would love Ishin, it's a shame we didn't get it at the ps4 launch, it may have done better then though I suppose now there's the 0 boost in fans.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this would be even more popular than the main series. I have friends who don't really care for the modern Yakuza setting but dig anything samurai related

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Might as well give it to us, don't they stand to make more from it than how much it would cost to localize? Plus theres still going to be a wait for us to get the next entry into Yakuza.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I actually preferred Kenzan, remake that in the Dragon engine and I'll pay $60.

In anycase PLEASE YES.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oh man please do Sega, that'd be great

I imported Kenzan but never got around to Ishin so this would make my day

I actually preferred Kenzan, remake that in the Dragon engine and I'll pay $60.

In anycase PLEASE YES.

heck if they just ported Kenzan (& localized it) like they've done with Yakuza 3 I'd be really happy

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please, I played hours of the japanese demo during launch, it does help that PS4 has an abysmal launch lineup

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i guess the margin for all the yakuza games released so far met their expectations, thus sega's willingness to release them to the west.

i mean the games are already there, don't think it will take a lot of money or effort for a remaster and translation to the west.