• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sweet Blue

Nov 1, 2018
I talked about this before in some other threads - the area your thinking of is the Shinsei area that pops up around chapter 11-12 of the PS2 version. Size wise its one street and the only notable buildings in that area are a massage parlor and a big ol' tower (you go up to the top of the tower for part of a puzzle). The massage parlor moves to Sotenbori (its used to learn various moves) and the puzzle for the chapter is just changed so it all takes place in Sotenbori. Its a tiny little area that aside from that one puzzle and a couple of side stories serves no real significance.

Ah, I see, thanks =) All I could find were threads of people throwing a temper tantrum about how this remake is a "dumpster fire" because they removed this area. Doesn't seem like we lost a lot...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see, thanks =) All I could find were threads of people throwing a temper tantrum about how this remake is a "dumpster fire" because they removed this area. Doesn't seem like we lost a lot...
lol, that sounds about right. People freaking out like that certainly sounds like certain more... animated parts of the community. There are a few things not in Kiwami 2 that were in 2 mind you, but its mainly a soundtrack thing for me, quite a few smaller tracks and a few boss tracks are missing or changed, plus you have the Club Adam host club side story/mini game which I dearly miss. But what people don't tend to mention is how many new things are also added to Kiwami 2, from side stories to mini games and just having more to explore in the cities (rooftops etc.) as a whole.

If your interested I wrote a post a while back with all the stuff I could remember being changed, its not definitive but it gives you an idea how they changed a few things here and there:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ya...o-remaster-news-yet.356/page-88#post-10329420

Sweet Blue

Nov 1, 2018
lol, that sounds about right. People freaking out like that certainly sounds like certain more... animated parts of the community. There are a few things not in Kiwami 2 that were in 2 mind you, but its mainly a soundtrack thing for me, quite a few smaller tracks and a few boss tracks are missing or changed, plus you have the Club Adam host club side story/mini game which I dearly miss. But what people don't tend to mention is how many new things are also added to Kiwami 2, from side stories to mini games and just having more to explore in the cities (rooftops etc.) as a whole.

If your interested I wrote a post a while back with all the stuff I could remember being changed, its not definitive but it gives you an idea how they changed a few things here and there:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ya...o-remaster-news-yet.356/page-88#post-10329420

The threads I was talking about were not on Era, so it's okay ;)
Great post, I always love reading about trivia stuff and version differences like that after finishing a game, thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

just went and looked at that post. Thanks for that, man. I was wondering what was changed and it doesn't seem that bad at all. Good to know. Game is still awesome af. Kiwami 2 is actually better in some regards.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The threads I was talking about were not on Era, so it's okay ;)
Great post, I always love reading about trivia stuff and version differences like that after finishing a game, thanks a lot!
Believe me, I've seen some Twitter posts at the time of its English announcement that basically said "don't buy it, buy the PS2 version instead". Its like people want the series to fail or something!
And nothing was funnier than some of the hysteria (great Def Lepard song) going around at its Japanese launch. One hilarious example was a podcast I was listening to which claimed that two big parts of Kamurocho were still missing (hilarious seeing as you literally go to one of them in chapter 1), and some Gamefaqs trash tier comments about how 1/3 of the game was cut (which was them saying that the final third of the game story was literally not in the story, when all pre release trailers showed it!)

It was something else let me tell you. So funny!

just went and looked at that post. Thanks for that, man. I was wondering what was changed and it doesn't seem that bad at all. Good to know. Game is still awesome af. Kiwami 2 is actually better in some regards.
Happy to help :) And yeah, in many ways Kiwami 2 for me is better content wise than 2, there are just a few little things I do miss here and there. But if I want to see those, I can just play the PS3 port, its nice to have both versions to be honest.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
This game is more demanding than I expected, looks really nice though. Enjoying it more than Kiwami 1 so far. I dropped down the resolution scaling to 90% to hit 4K/60 fps locked on a 2080 Ti. Not sure if I should change any other settings instead, the resolution drop isn't too noticeable since I'm playing on a TV though.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
This game is more demanding than I expected, looks really nice though. Enjoying it more than Kiwami 1 so far. I dropped down the resolution scaling to 90% to hit 4K/60 fps locked on a 2080 Ti. Not sure if I should change any other settings instead, the resolution drop isn't too noticeable since I'm playing on a TV though.
Yeah I played on a TV with 94% res scale with everything maxed and was pretty much a locked 4k60 few drops in a couple cutscenes but gameplay was locked 60 on my oc'd 2080ti. There was no visual difference from native 4k that I could notice

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Finally finished this game. It was very good. Not a single crash or any bugs I could think of.
Specs- intel i9-9900k, NVIDIA 1080 GTX, etc

Surprised that Kiru's love interest lived. Kawami 1 had a sad ending with his love interest dying. I just knew she would die at the end of this one.

Now I await Yakuza 6 or Judge Eyes Steam version

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished this game. It was very good. Not a single crash or any bugs I could think of.
Specs- intel i9-9900k, NVIDIA 1080 GTX, etc

Surprised that Kiru's love interest lived. Kawami 1 had a sad ending with his love interest dying. I just knew she would die at the end of this one.

Now I await Yakuza 6 or Judge Eyes Steam version

I hope they release 3-5 on Steam first, I wouldn't want you leaping into 6 after 2. Judgment on Steam would be great.

It might be wishful thinking (especially with PC Gaming Show being sponsored by EGS) but I'm hoping they'll announce them at E3.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I hope they release 3-5 on Steam first, I wouldn't want you leaping into 6 after 2. Judgment on Steam would be great.

It might be wishful thinking (especially with PC Gaming Show being sponsored by EGS) but I'm hoping they'll announce them at E3.
3-5 is going to be too many games for me. At this point I'll be good with a story recap to cover those and just hop into 6 so I can see that story conclusion.

I'm assuming when these games originally came out people had yrs in-between. The fatigue would be too real if I had to play all those games back-to-back

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Recaps wont do them justice. Why not just play the games slowly? There's really no need to play them back to back in a short space of time. But skipping the games in favour of recaps will be an awful way of experiencing the games (in my opinion). You'll miss out on the soundtracks, combat improvements (4 and 5 are basically the best pre 0 combat in the series, before they swapped to styles and Dragon Engine), side stories (of which there are many great ones) and lots of great side content in 5 like the Taxi driving.
Not to mention 4 as a recap can't possibly do the characters justice as so much of their personalities and back stories are covered in side stories (alongside smaller, side characters in the plot).

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they're not a checklist, you're supposed to enjoy them, there's no catching up to do.
You probably will have to wait for each game either way, 6 isn't coming any time soon (assuming they follow the proper order) and a 3-4-5 collection seems dumb.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Y6 is already out on ps4 and I happen to own a ps4pro as well. Watched a story recap earlier I feel like I'm good to go already lol. I do have like 1 or 2 games I will probably knock out first. If there's no Steam announcement for Y6 in next few weeks I'll just snag it on ps4pro and finish up this series with a bang

Part of the reason I'm not eager at all to mess around with 3-5 I found the combat here a step backwards from the more recent games (Fist of North Star and Yakuza 0). I really missed the combat tree thing from those games. I am hoping Y6 has the combat tree I loved in the more recent Yakuza games

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's a mistake ;) You just jumped to the most imcomplete game combat wise since Yakuza 1, while skipping 4 and 5 which have some of the most complete combat in the series - Yakuza 6 is the first game to the new combat engine and basically its a more limited Yakuza Kiwami 2 in terms of combat. 4 and 5 meanwhile are basically building on the first 3 games (and Kenzan technically as it borrows heat moves from there as well) so they are some of the most content complete combat engines the game has - 5 especially which is just glorious (though Shinada can be pretty limited in places he has a bigger focus on weapons).

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Playing 3-5 was never an option for me. There's no way I'm blowing the dust off my ps3. It's not even a remote temptation.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
the ports are probably coming to ps4/pc in the future though?
you might as well wait at this point for E3 at the very least. 6 is pretty tied to 3-5.
3 and 4 really don't tie into 6 much at all, it is really only 5 that plays a heavy role. 3 is almost entirely irrelevant other than learning of Kiryu's new job and the only importance of 4 is some of the new protagonists it introduces. I ended up playing 6 without playing much of 3-5 and it was just fine with the videos it comes with and it gives a little bit of background for characters in the intro.

I started to play Y4 and Y5 on PSNow, but the service was pretty terrible with poor IQ and what felt like lag. So I said screw it and just jumped to 6 after fully playing Y0 and Y1 Kiwami. Plus, I didn't like the idea of switching between 5 protagonists in Y5 making it feel unfocused, it is much better with 1 or 2 at most like Y0. I might give them a chance again when they come to Steam....

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Really hoping 3-4-5 are simultaneous releases on PS4/PC in the west. The way SEGA currently set up the PC releases by having 0, Kiwami 1 and Kiwami 2 and skipping 6 points towards a chronological release. The console release order was awkward with 0,K1,6,K2 but they was no choice back then but to do it in that order, however, since PC is behind now you can latch onto the remasters and you can have a more organized release. They could also just go ahead and do Lost Paradise next, i also wonder where would a PC port of Judgment fall into. Regardless of what happens, i can't wait to see what's next from RGG Studio on PC. Keep 'em coming SEGA.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The games are worth playing, but your right on feeling unfocused - its what hurts 5s story quite a bit. And definitely hurt 4's story in the ending. Both are well worth playing (as is 3, which I personally love) if you can.

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
3 and 4 really don't tie into 6 much at all, it is really only 5 that plays a heavy role. 3 is almost entirely irrelevant other than learning of Kiryu's new job and the only importance of 4 is some of the new protagonists it introduces. I ended up playing 6 without playing much of 3-5 and it was just fine with the videos it comes with and it gives a little bit of background for characters in the intro.

That sounds good. There's not much gas left in my tank for this series. I just want to wrap it up and move on. Hoping Judgement makes some refinements to the traditional Yakuza formula. There's somethings that's been bugging me about this series. I hate how none of these villains ever seem to get arrested. I busted a
sex trafficking ring
in Y2 side story and what happens to the bad guys? Kiryu just lets them all go. I just cant take this absurdness anymore myself. It rightly pisses me off. Makes me feel like I accomplished jack squat with this game. At least in Spiderman I am webbing up bad guys to get arrested by the cops. Kiryu-- I am getting really sick of this character. I love the voice actor though.

Now Fist Of North Star on the other hand-- that dude has the right idea. He busts up the bad guys and they aint coming back. Makes way more sense. And he has Kiryu's voice. WIN WIN

edit: I also love how every bad guy calls Kiryu an "old man" lmao how old is he really in Y2?? 30? I realize maybe in Japan games/anime they think you're over the hill once you're over like 20 but that's not common here in the US

Another case that pissed me off so bad.
There's a girl in this story that almost gets raped. That cop girlfriend of Kiryu. they both let the bad guys go even though shes a fraking cop and just got assaulted. Just simply absurd. I cant recall any of the other Yakuza games being this ridiculous but guess I was having too much fun to notice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Kiryu is 38 in Yakuza 2, and looks younger than most of the goons that call him old. I've always found that hilarious.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu completely ages backwards from 5 to 6. He looks damn old and tired in 5, and revitalised and younger in 6 (no doubt thanks to the new dragon engine and character model).

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu completely ages backwards from 5 to 6. He looks damn old and tired in 5, and revitalised and younger in 6 (no doubt thanks to the new dragon engine and character model).

Can't imagine the Taxi driver life being kind either. In all serious though, wasn't 5/Ishin/0 using the graphics engine developed (or was it just an updated version) for Binary Domain.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for sure. Yakuza 5 Kiryu is the oldest he ever looked.
I thought it worked really well for the story -
basically being away from his family like that. It'd take a tole on anyone. Damn, so hyped to replay this soon!
Can't imagine the Taxi driver life being kind either. In all serious though, wasn't 5/Ishin/0 using the graphics engine developed (or was it just an updated version) for Binary Domain.
I forget how the engines worked but I think that's the case - BD was made on an upgraded engine that Yakuza 4 etc. used and so 5, Ishin, 0 and Kiwami 1 all used this upgraded engine.

Jul 10, 2018
Anyone experience any weird issues with lots of saves (10-ish?) missing titles, no playtime, no difficulty?

V9ldvFM.jpg

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Np. Its apparently tied with how many photos you have taken on ur phone. If you only have 1 or none, the safe file names will appear. Weird. I'm glad the issue was just the names and info though and not the actual files being corrupted.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So the craziest thing just happened to me in a random street fight. I kicked a guy through a glass window pane. This glass window pane happened to be where I was going to eat after the fight.

Nope.

I went in the restaurant and the guy said "How could you do that?!?" He didn't let me eat in his store. Because I fucked up his store with some guy's head. Lmao.

Nice attention to detail.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
So the craziest thing just happened to me in a random street fight. I kicked a guy through a glass window pane. This glass window pane happened to be where I was going to eat after the fight.

Nope.

I went in the restaurant and the guy said "How could you do that?!?" He didn't let me eat in his store. Because I fucked up his store with some guy's head. Lmao.

Nice attention to detail.
It's a blast - totally destroy Poppo (using Extreme Heat mode for even more fun), and then trying to buy something.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This seems like a pretty good new patch.

Patch v1.2 - 13 June 2019

Patch Notes:

Improvements:
• Added an option to lock FPS in Graphics Settings. (Options are 30, 60, 120 and Uncapped.)
• Added an option to enable/disable Depth of Field in Graphics Settings.
• Added more options to Anti-Aliasing in Graphic Settings.
• Added a control to fast skip dialogues with Right Bumper + A button / R1 + X button/ SPACE + E keys.

Bug fixes:
• Fixed an issue where save data descriptions can disappear.
• Fixed an issue where an incorrect prompt can be displayed during combat using a keyboard and mouse.
• Fixed an issue where pressing Alt + Tab keys didn't pause the game in Cabaret Club.
• Fixed a button/key prompt mismatch issue in Batting Center.
• Fixed minor mouse control issues in several minigames.
• Fixed minor UI bugs.
• Fixed an issue where changes made in control settings were not saved properly when restarting the game. (This issue was present in the 1st community beta branch build only.)
• Fixed an issue where English letters were missing from Shogi pieces in Shogi the minigame.
• Fixed an issue where a higher FOV caused characters in Makeover mode appear blurry in Cabaret Club.
• Fixed an issue where a stunned visual effect can disappear too quickly.
• Fixed an FPS related issue in some minigames including ToyLets.

*Please note that FPS is locked to 60FPS in the minigames below:
Batting Center, BlackJack, Darts, Koi Koi, Mahjong, Oichokabu, Poker, ToyLets, Virtual Fighter 2/2.1, Virtual-On, UFO Catcher and Karaoke.

• Fixed an issue where the screen gets blurry when bringing up the Steam overlay during the menu until backing out of the menu.

Note:
If you are using PlayStation DualShock 4 controller and see Xbox button icons (instead of PlayStation ones) in the game, please follow the steps below:
1. Enter Big Picture Mode in your Steam client
2. Enter Settings > Controller Settings
3. Untick PlayStation Configuration Support as shown in the screenshot
4. Launch the game and PlayStation button icons will appear

Arigats,
SEGA Dev

Jul 10, 2018
A partially obvious recommendation to those striving for 100% completion in these games like I do. If you do Haruka's Requests early, you'll definitely take out some of the restaurant/gambling/minigame stuff just through that process alone. This will free you up more hours to spend on Mahjong. 🙃

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
]I think I just finished majima's storyline
majima part 3????

And it is so nice to finally get that closure to Yakuza 0s biggest heartbreak. Fuck that bothered me. It is still bittersweet, but it is now left in a better state than it was before.

Back to kiryu story.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, I didn't even know that was in the works. Definitely might just wait for that to come out on the PS4.
While its not translated yet, the PS4 remaster is vastly better than the PS3 version in my opinion - Frame rate, but especially resolution is vastly better than the low res blurry mess Yakuza 3 is these days (if your running it on a big TV). Plus the PS3 localisation had certain parts of side content cut out completely, which sucks. So if you can wait, go for the PS4 remaster.
Otherwise you'll need to track down a physical release of Yakuza 3, as it never got a digital release.

Jul 10, 2018
Also, super-weird question, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a method to "mark all replays as seen" basically, so I don't see the "NEW" bright text for scenes I've already seen. Takes a long time to load, skip and exit them all. OCD issues. Thanks any ideas.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This runs like shit compared to Yakuza Zero. I know it's a new PS4-gen engine and all, but it doesn't even look all that better. Does Yakuza 6 look better? It's kind of a downer that I can't get a locked 60fps.