• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
For someone who has never played a Yakuza game, what is the general recommendation on which game to start with? Do Kiwami first, then the prequel?

Zero, then Kiwami. Zero is by far the better game. Kiwami doesn't have as many things to do and the plot and substories are not as epic. It's still a good game but Zero is much better overall.

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
So couple quick questions:

I just finished up Yakuza 0 on the weekend and popped in Yakuza Kiwami 1 for about an hour. I was a bit disappointed at first to see how much of Kiwami 1 appears to be a repeat/how much is missing ( such as the cabaret club). Does Kiwami 1 introduce anything new really or are all of the mini games re-used?

Is the story in Kiwami 1 worth seeing? Kiwami 2 seems so much more....interesting? I loved Yakuza 0, dont get me wrong, just coming straight off of it into Kiwami 1, it seems disappointing. Kiwami 2 seems so fresh that Im more tempted to jump into it

My understanding is that this uses the same engine as Yakuza 6? Does that mean that a lot of the mini games and locations are simply reused from Yakuza 6 like Kiwami 1 uses from Yakuza 0?

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to play this on PC but I ended up refunding Kiwami on Steam and grabbing it on PS4 because I couldn't get my controller working. I'm using an XB1 controller with the USB adapter. I did a bit of google searching and there were a few guides on downloading some 3rd party software and messing with profiles. I guess I'd make that effort for legacy games that I really wanted to play but it's kind of annoying that this setup doesn't just work with a 2018 or 2019 release.

Did anyone else use that setup and have issues? Any chance Kiwami 2 has better support?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is it, right? After Zero and Kiwami 2 - its all downhill from here?

Loved Zero. Could not have been more disappointed with Kiwami 1. And I heard Kiwami 2 is right up there with Zero as the top 2 games of the series...
I'm thinking I need to savor this game...and then significantly lower my expectations for the rest of this series going forward.

No offence but this is laughable. You make it sound like the rest of the series is trash and not worth playing. Your wrong, either way. People complain about 3's slow start but that doesn't make it a bad game. I'm hard pressed to think about what makes 4 bad aside from being a bit on the short side, but that's not a bad problem to have, especially with 5 being the opposite and being a juggernaut in terms of content, story suffers for it but its still damn good, just messy at the end. 6, Judge Eyes, Ishin and Kenzan are all excellent, and the PSP games are incredibly solid as well (especially the second one), those two might have better combat than the main games as well, can't decide, definitely more thoughtful, tougher combat which make for some far more interesting boss fights but those games lack more diverse heat moves and huge mob battles.

I just finished up Yakuza 0 on the weekend and popped in Yakuza Kiwami 1 for about an hour. I was a bit disappointed at first to see how much of Kiwami 1 appears to be a repeat/how much is missing ( such as the cabaret club). Does Kiwami 1 introduce anything new really or are all of the mini games re-used?

Is the story in Kiwami 1 worth seeing? Kiwami 2 seems so much more....interesting? I loved Yakuza 0, dont get me wrong, just coming straight off of it into Kiwami 1, it seems disappointing. Kiwami 2 seems so fresh that Im more tempted to jump into it

My understanding is that this uses the same engine as Yakuza 6? Does that mean that a lot of the mini games and locations are simply reused from Yakuza 6 like Kiwami 1 uses from Yakuza 0?

Yakuza always does this, aside from Ishin and Kenzan which are set in completely different time periods you'll always see a lot of asset reuse from mini games, combat, locations.

Anyway, Kiwami 1 does suffer with not having much new in terms of mini games, its worth noting that the original Yakuza had a tiny amount, most of what people come to expect from a Yakuza game weren't included until Yakuza 3 or later. Only things I can think of added to Kiwami over 0 is the photo booth (which is copied out from 5) and Mesuking (which is a mish mash of taking 0's terrible Cat Fighting but making it good, and taking inspiration of an actual Sega arcade game about bugs fighting, Mushiking or something like that).
The real big new content is all the weird and wonderful Majima scenarios you encounter throughout the game.

And as for Kiwami 2, its a mix of old and new. It takes mini games from past games (5, 6 and many earlier games) while adding a few new ones as well. Its missing a few from 0 (some gambling, bowling, billiards).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

Kiwami 1 is.. Well it's a thing. It's a remake of the first game, so story wise, super important.
But gameplay wise it kind of sucks and doesn't really add anything. Honestly, just watch the story stuff on youtube or something.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

Loved Zero. Could not have been more disappointed with Kiwami 1. And I heard Kiwami 2 is right up there with Zero as the top 2 games of the series...
I'm thinking I need to savor this game...and then significantly lower my expectations for the rest of this series going forward.
Wouldn't go as far as to say "all downhill", but you're on the right train of thought when it comes to tempering your expectations. I personally agree with the consensus that upholds Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2 as the best games in the series (at least, of the mainline titles, I've not played any spinoffs).

3 and 4 have some of the worst story elements in the series, 3 being where things start to get particularly silly, and 4 being (in my opinion) the worst Yakuza title next to the first game, due to multiple factors. 5 and 6 pick things back up, with 5 being a real treat, due to all the playable characters and locales, and being generally super diverse with its content. 6 just has good characters I enjoyed spending time with, even if it is a disappointing finale in some ways.

Nonetheless, if 0 or Kiwami 2 resonated with you in a big way, you owe it to yourself to eventually make your way through the rest and form your own opinion. There are a lot of differing mindsets on the later games. My opinion that Yakuza 4 is the worst is a very uncommon one, for example. At the same time, I think I like Yakuza 5 a good bit more than others generally do.

Last edited:

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Held off getting the PS4 version in hopes of a PC release, so glad that it's nearly here. Preload has been downloaded.

I just hope this runs ok on my 970.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

3, 6 and Ishin are some of the best entries in the franchise, in my opinion.

That said, even the weakest mainline Yakuza games are all still excellent, so eh.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I'd like to play this on PC but I ended up refunding Kiwami on Steam and grabbing it on PS4 because I couldn't get my controller working. I'm using an XB1 controller with the USB adapter. I did a bit of google searching and there were a few guides on downloading some 3rd party software and messing with profiles. I guess I'd make that effort for legacy games that I really wanted to play but it's kind of annoying that this setup doesn't just work with a 2018 or 2019 release.

Did anyone else use that setup and have issues? Any chance Kiwami 2 has better support?
Did you set up your XB1 pad in the Steam controller support?

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC

I used an XB1 controller with USB adapter for Y0 and Kiwami, 120 hours on those games with no controller issues. Sorry man

Icepick_1878

Nov 29, 2017
Flashback appearance spoiler for those who haven't played the game:

Seeing Futoshi Shimano rendered in the Dragon Engine makes me really, really want a Yakuza 0.5 starring only Majima; during the decline of the Bubble Economy while Kiryu is in jail; with some Plastic Love city pop sprinkled into the soundtrack; and featuring Shimano as your big boss.

GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

That would be my dream game. Majima plus city pop is an unbeatable combo.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Flashback appearance spoiler for those who haven't played the game:

Seeing Futoshi Shimano rendered in the Dragon Engine makes me really, really want a Yakuza 0.5 starring only Majima; during the decline of the Bubble Economy while Kiryu is in jail; with some Plastic Love city pop sprinkled into the soundtrack; and featuring Shimano as your big boss.

GIVE IT TO ME!!!!
I'd love a Yakuza 0.5. Kiryu in jail is 1995 and beyond, though, which I'm not too sure city pop would fit into so well. Wikipedia says the popularity of the genre declined when the bubble era did, around 1990-1992.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love a Yakuza 0.5. Kiryu in jail is 1995 and beyond, though, which I'm not too sure city pop would fit into so well. Wikipedia says the popularity of the genre declined when the bubble era did, around 1990-1992.
Oh yeah I dunno what I'm thinking, I got my dates all messed the hell up.

Either way, 95 is good by me.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I wish I had the graphics card to play this again on PC...must be nice to play it at more a stable rate, hahaha.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Since Kiwami 1 is a remake of the first Yakuza game it's got a lot less stuff in it. Its main and side stories are not quite as fun as those in Yakuza 0. It doesn't bring anything new to the table other than the Majima Everywhere system, which is actually one of the funniest parts of the game even if it becomes a bit tiresome in late game. I'd say it's worth playing at least to experience some of Majima's crazy antics. Then you can watch the main story on YouTube and jump into Kiwami 2.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I've not seen much of Kiwami 2, is the combat a huge improvement over 0 and Kiwami 1?
It's a different thing as far as i am concerned. They build a new physics driven system for new consoles with 6, and i can definitly say Kiwami 2's better than 6 in that department. Some people disliked style-switching in Zero, because they'd just use one i guess, the new combat system is more meaty and has more hilarious physics happening to everything and some prefer the simpler style.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Aurc thank you so much for making this thread! I'm so hyped for this release. I built a new computer since my old didn't meet the minimum requirements. I played versions 0 & 1 on PS4 but ready to move over to PC. Hope I can get 4k and they rollout Yakuza 6 on Steam too

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What's different about this Kamurocho Vs the one we got in the earlier games? Genuinely wondering, I can't recall it missing anything compared to 1-3 (well, bar the tragic loss of Club Adam's side stories of course, dammit...). I know its missing the rooftops and sewers of 4 though (as well as the underground mall and parking lot), aside from a small sewer section, I forget how much of the underground 5 had, I know the rooftops were once again cut. Its still not as awesome as the Kamuro we get in Judge Eyes though, that's my favourite iteration aside from 4.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oof.

34 min 38 max fps at 4K Ultra for Dragon Engine on a 1080Ti according to that test above. Still going to be so worth it.

Edit - performance at 1080p/1440p/4k Ultra (FXAA) from that site above...

Screen_Shot_2019-05-07_at_7.14.06_PM.png

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Taaaanoshiii desi nee

Four shine ha...

SAIKOu!!!!!

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
That russian website doesn't seem that accurate. I don't think they've tested everything that's on there.
Like a R2700x runs at 65min/79avg with both a 1660ti and a 2080ti at 1080p.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Great OT!

Really looking forward to this because I skipped on the console version thinking we would get it on PC before long. I go back and forth between Yakuza 2, 4 and 6 being my favorite games in the series, but with 2 now having the Dragon Engine and it's combat I can honestly see this one potentially being my favorite so far!

I can honestly see myself wasting hours playing Virtual-On and Virtua Fighter 2 in the arcades alone. This is going to be great.

Feb 21, 2019
Yakuza Zero really is excellent. Yakuza 1 is okay. Yakuza 2 is good.

But yeah...Zero is just...man thats a good game.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Really want to get this with the Voidu discount but need to see how my 970 will handle it first.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
What's different about this Kamurocho Vs the one we got in the earlier games? Genuinely wondering, I can't recall it missing anything compared to 1-3 (well, bar the tragic loss of Club Adam's side stories of course, dammit...). I know its missing the rooftops and sewers of 4 though (as well as the underground mall and parking lot), aside from a small sewer section, I forget how much of the underground 5 had, I know the rooftops were once again cut. Its still not as awesome as the Kamuro we get in Judge Eyes though, that's my favourite iteration aside from 4.
The layout of Campion distrct is slightly different. But that's not the big problem here. The north end of Pink street that leads to Shichifuku streen has been removed since 6/Dragon Engine.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
3 fun facts about Kiwami 2:

1) Daigo sucks.
2) While you'll have an overwhelming urge to spend all your time doing the cabaret club as soon as it unlocks (chapter 4 I think?, in case your wondering) most of the side stories relating to unlocking the best girls are not unlocked until later in the game. They are all optional (you can clear it without getting those girls), its just something to consider.
3) Daigo, really sucks.

Looking forward to seeing how the game runs, in glorious 4K at 60+FPS. I won't have a capable PC for a few months at least, but I'll grab the game to support Sega's porting efforts, always good to see the series reach more fans.

Daigo sucks
lXxCAjH.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The layout of Campion distrct is slightly different. But that's not the big problem here. The north end of Pink street that leads to Shichifuku streen has been removed since 6/Dragon Engine.

Oh yeah, completely forgot they swapped around small parts of streets in the newer games (never even picked up on the Champion District changes!). Thinking about it some more, I was thinking it was stuff like certain shops moving location in Kiwami 2 while still being in the old locations in future Yakuza games - the Shogi parlor, Mahjong parlors, the Gelatto store being completely MIA etc. Nothing that's a big deal, but its kinda immersion breaking when you jump from certain entries in series.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am interested to see how exactly they handle the yakuza 3-5 and yakuza 6 problem on Steam. Like, i'd love for them to release 3-5 first but there hasnt been much news on those for the west. Also curious how they would release those games. Individually or some bundle pack.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Doesn't look too good for my i5/GTX970 combo according to that site above. Well let's see. May even play it on the Pro. Don't want to upgrade my PC right now.