• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
46989553084_51b8c4d6c3_o.png

32852406097_0b32e36880_o.png

Kx6K9Hn.gif

s0eRnLb.gif

bwtcddS.gif

32852407077_509bd45a36_o.png

vestan, for asking me to work on this thread in the first place, and for providing the thread title
PrinceOfWhatever, for making the original Yakuza Kiwami 2 OT
SunhiLegend, for providing the beautiful gifs
The YakuzaEra Discord server​

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
3 fun facts about Kiwami 2:

1) Daigo sucks.
2) While you'll have an overwhelming urge to spend all your time doing the cabaret club as soon as it unlocks (chapter 4 I think?, in case your wondering) most of the side stories relating to unlocking the best girls are not unlocked until later in the game. They are all optional (you can clear it without getting those girls), its just something to consider.
3) Daigo, really sucks.

Looking forward to seeing how the game runs, in glorious 4K at 60+FPS. I won't have a capable PC for a few months at least, but I'll grab the game to support Sega's porting efforts, always good to see the series reach more fans.

Daigo sucks

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
*screams*

Ahhhhhhhhh! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! Let's fucking go! First time playing on the dragon engine!!!!! CAN I GET A HELL YEAH?!?!?!?

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damn so hyped to play this game in 60 fps! Pre-ordered a while back, but I'm playing Kenzan right now so it'll have to wait, anxiously awaiting impressions on the port though!

Oct 28, 2017
Wondering if the 144hz issues from Kiwami are sorted in this. Animations would speed up, QTE's would need much more inputs, and other weird behaviour. Still not patched in Kiwami. Not too much of a bother as I can lock the game to 60 but being able to play at 144 is nice.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Very curious to see how the Dragon Engine runs on PC.

I just finished Kiwami 2 earlier this year on PS4 so I won't be joining the PC party just yet, but newcomers are in for a fun ride. If absolutely nothing else, Kiwami 2 has Cabaret Club, and Cabaret Club is still awesome.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
3 fun facts about Kiwami 2:

1) Daigo sucks.
2) While you'll have an overwhelming urge to spend all your time doing the cabaret club as soon as it unlocks (chapter 4 I think?, in case your wondering) most of the side stories relating to unlocking the best girls are not unlocked until later in the game. They are all optional (you can clear it without getting those girls), its just something to consider.
3) Daigo, really sucks.

Looking forward to seeing how the game runs, in glorious 4K at 60+FPS. I won't have a capable PC for a few months at least, but I'll grab the game to support Sega's porting efforts, always good to see the series reach more fans.

Daigo sucks

Sadly not even a 2080ti can hold a solid 60/4k at max settings and it's not because the port is bad, GPU utilisation is maxed out and CPU usage is well spread across the cores at least according to this article.

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-perfor...kiwami-2-pc-performance-analysis/#more-125130

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't enjoy 0 as much as I'm enjoying kiwami 2.
The slow pacing of the game and the way I was forced into substories really annoyed me.
Everything feels more organic in kiwami 2.
I hated those "manga like" cutscenes too.
Being forced into substories is definitely a complaint I can understand. Very glad they did away with that. As far as the manga-like cutscenes, I found they didn't bother me too much, since there were so few of them in the game.
Nothing wrong in the person saying that in his opinion he likes Kiwami 2 more than 0, heck I can think of 3 Yakuza games I think are better than 0...
Hey, just stating my opinion right back. I can't name a Yakuza game I'd put over 0 (though, I'd love to see how I feel about Ishin someday). Series favorite for sure. Kiwami 2 would be right after that. Both great games.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've not seen much of Kiwami 2, is the combat a huge improvement over 0 and Kiwami 1?

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we getting a possible early unlock with VPN or is it a global simultaneous release?

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Question about Okama treatment in Kiwami 2.
There is a substory where
An Okama named "Mama" gets harassed by a guy, Kiryu stands in and kicks his butt, in the end, the guy apologizes and make peace with the Okama. The substory ends with the Okama hitting on Kiryu
I was a little surprised by this because I didn't expect this kind of thing in the game and even more surprised as Kiryu wasn't homophobic (transphobic?).
What do you guys think?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Playing it on PS4 right now and it's way better than 0 and kiwami.
The pacing and substories are MUCH better. Both pale in comparison imo.

I agree about the pacing (having 2 characters makes Zero much slower) but not on substories. I'm at chapter 5 and so far I found only one story I'd call funny, while Zero is non stop awesome. Hopefully it'll get better!

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I LOVED Yakuza 0, the story is simply stellar. In comparison, I found yakuza 1 to be really weak and the 6 just good. Am I going to like Yakuza 2?

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
after visiting these places in real life, is even better to replay this series! *_*

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Kiwami 1 the other night. I have this preordered and preloaded. Bring it!

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Flashback appearance spoiler for those who haven't played the game:

Seeing Futoshi Shimano rendered in the Dragon Engine makes me really, really want a Yakuza 0.5 starring only Majima; during the decline of the Bubble Economy while Kiryu is in jail; with some Plastic Love city pop sprinkled into the soundtrack; and featuring Shimano as your big boss.

GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

Question about Okama treatment in Kiwami 2.
There is a substory where
An Okama named "Mama" gets harassed by a guy, Kiryu stands in and kicks his butt, in the end, the guy apologizes and make peace with the Okama. The substory ends with the Okama hitting on Kiryu
I was a little surprised by this because I didn't expect this kind of thing in the game and even more surprised as Kiryu wasn't homophobic (transphobic?).
What do you guys think?
The RGG team is actually a bunch of really progressive, really cool dudes. This is not the first time they've addressed things like that, and they tend to be tolerant and anti-shaming.

They're like the opposite of Atlus.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
I've not seen much of Kiwami 2, is the combat a huge improvement over 0 and Kiwami 1?

No. I'd say it's a lot worse than 0. The new engine feels noticeably different, and not in a good way (Kiryu feels heavier/clunkier). There is also a lot less depth to the combat (only 1 style vs 3 per character in 0).

Still a good game, though.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
My goodness this glorious OT! Absolutely fireeee! I haven't preloaded but I bought it yesterday for the double dip - can't wait to dive in on PC!

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Not in my opinion, no. I'm personally not a fan of the Dragon Engine combat implemented in 6 and Kiwami 2 (not sure how I'll feel about it with Judgment). It feels floaty, and the enemies ragdoll too much for my liking. I also think, although it's awesome how powerful you can feel in combat playing as Kiryu, the games go a bit overboard with all the stats, perks, and general ease of combat. The enemies don't attack as much as they should, so you can really mop the floor with them using the spin throw, Extreme Heat mode, and weapons.

You can, of course, intentionally gimp yourself if you desire a level of challenge. You might also not consider any of this a problem, and feel great taking advantage of all your moves. Depends on the person.
mack_point.png

Kore wa great OT desu.
Mack blessing this thread with his presence.

Jul 10, 2018
I'm so happy I'm finally getting to play all of these. I first was interest in Yakuza 1 in 2005 when I was desperate for more Shenmue-like games. How times have changed.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminds me I still have to complete my Ps4 playthrough

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
For someone who has never played a Yakuza game, what is the general recommendation on which game to start with? Do Kiwami first, then the prequel?

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
This is it, right? After Zero and Kiwami 2 - its all downhill from here?

Loved Zero. Could not have been more disappointed with Kiwami 1. And I heard Kiwami 2 is right up there with Zero as the top 2 games of the series...
I'm thinking I need to savor this game...and then significantly lower my expectations for the rest of this series going forward.