• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
47135624891_4bdc35e270_o.png

28818253647_e93ed8cdb2_o.png

What's Yakuza all about, anyway?

It's a brawler, beat-em-up, action RPG, minigame fest, and a lot of other things, with heartfelt, serious storylines, but also a high degree of comedy and zaniness, it's dramatic, it's silly, it's everything. People have tried to box it into a category, but truth be told, there's not much out there you can compare it to.

Should I start with Yakuza Kiwami, or go and play 0 first? What about other starting points in the series?

Though Kiwami may be a remake of the original Yakuza game, 0 is widely considered to be the ideal starting point for newcomers in this day and age. It's a prequel that retroactively improves the story of the first game by adding greater, much needed development to certain characters, and it also serves as a sort of "soft reboot" for the series, to where Kiwami 1, 2, and even Yakuza 6 contain references that assume you've played it. So yeah, start with 0, and enjoy!

What games, aside from 0 and Kiwami, have been confirmed to be coming to the PC?

None at the moment, unfortunately. Buy and play these two, and then ask / hope for the rest later on.

I'd like to play with a PS4 / XBO controller. Are the appropriate button prompts in the game?

They are.

How long is the game?

If you mostly stick to the main story, you're looking at 20 hours, give or take. If you opt to tackle the mountains of side content though, your playthrough can easily pass the 50 hour mark. There's a decent number of substories, minigames, etc. Be prepared for quite the undertaking if you wanna fill out that completion list!

So the series is like a Japanese Grand Theft Auto / Sleeping Dogs / Saints Row / Mafia, right?!

28818270157_b795d260ca_o.png

No. It's not really like any of those. Like I said, it does its own thing. You'll see once you play it.

Can I complete all the side-content before finishing the main story?

Yes! The game quite explicitly tells before the finale that you won't be able to do anything else so it's best to wrap things up now. Literally every piece of side content can be accessed and completed before the end of the game. While you can't get all the achievements in one playthrough, you can get 100% completion in-game in a single playthrough.

What if I just want to play the story at my own pace and finish the side stuff later?

That's also possible! After you end the game, you can continue your save file in "Premium Adventure Mode". You continue from where you left off at the end of the game, but with no story to worry about so you can complete all the side content you haven't done yet as well as just muck around in the game world at your leisure.

The following questions answered courtesy of lucebuce

THESE BOSSES KEEP GETTING HEALTH BACK, WTF

When the bosses enter their health recharging state, you need to perform a heat action on them. The game never actually makes this clear to you but you need to be in the style that's colour corresponds to the enemy. So if for example the enemy is charging up their power level with a yellow aura, then you need to switch to Beast style. The colours are:

Pink is Rush
Yellow is Beast
White is Dragon of Dojima
Blue is Brawler

Alternatively, you can use any interactable object that you can pick up as well as any weapons.

Why do these cutscenes look so... robotic?

The game is a shot-for-shot remake of a game that came out in 2006 for the PS2. And when we say shot-for-shot, we MEAN it. The same animations and camera angles were used so expect a little bit of jankiness for the cutscenes.

Does Catfighting suck in this too?

Great news, it does not. It's literally a rock/paper/scissors situation that's much faster and much fairer than Y0's. Also requires no mashing. Highly recommend doing as the questline attached to it is some A-grade Japan.

Is there any disco in this?

Unfortunately, no.

I hated how you had to save at a phone all the time in Y0, does this fix that?

YES! Not only does the game allow you to literally save at any point in the game by simply going into the pause menu, the PC version has been given an auto save feature as well. So you won't even need to bother with the manual saving! Option's still there if you want to use it.​

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice OP!

A very good tip for the bosses, when they change color you should change into the same one and do a heat move on them. This will prevent them from regenation their health.

Edit:
Read this:
Don't forget the most important part - you gotta unlock those moves. The game teases you with them in chapter 1?2? and then takes them away and never tells you, so you'll be fighting the third boss for 10 straight minutes without them before realising that the game trolled you. So yeah, unlock the Kiwami moves asap. You should have just about enough XP to unlock them all before the second chapter boss, if your lucky.

Also worth mentioning, for the bits where bosses heal you can just use a weapon (either from inventory or picked up from nearby) and then perform a heat move with it to snap them out of healing, if for whatever reason you've not unlocked the moves yet.

Also, if Majima has disappeared and you can't find him here's probably why:
He's hiding under a giant traffic cone. Check your text messages, you get a text message early suggesting that Majima is hiding and you gotta find him. He's almost certainly hiding under the giant traffic cone in Nakamichi Street (that's the one with Club Sega, Cafe Alps and Smile Burger).
Conversely, if you want Majima to go away and not bother you all game, just don't find him at this point.
Otherwise, if you still can't find him, check in the north east corner of the map by Purgatory. If he's smoking there, you can't fight him that chapter.

Oh, and for completionists out there, while you can't fail side stories, one of the trophy/achievement requirements is to get X number of weapons, and in order to do so you have to pick certain responses in side stories. I don't have a full list, but basically choose the most sensible/boring options (and not the funny ones) and you should most likely get the weapon reward. Also you can get some by placing high in stuff like Mahjong and Shogi. And if you want to make Kiryu super powered, do Komaki's trials - all of them. Tiger Drop = more powerful than Superman.

Oh, and absolutely fantastic OT Aurc, I love how you layed out the story. 9/10 (would be 10 but Majima is holding a bat and not a dagger ;) )

Last edited:

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
Essence of Extreme Beast/Brawler/Rush. Get these 3 skills ASAP. You need them to counter the bullshit boss regen mechanic.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome OP.

Loved 0, can't wait for this to come out.

The general consensus that I see from Era is that Kiwami isn't as good as 0 but if I still have some fun and the story is interesting I'll be happy.

Big side content like the cabaret club would also be a plus.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Another tip: unlock the Tiger Drop from the Komaki guy as soon as possible, it's hilariously broken (you can kill any boss in a few hits) and makes the late game fights a lot less grating. Especially if you have to fight a fully powered Majima for the millionth time.

Fundamental info

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP!

A very good tip for the bosses, when they change color you should change into the same one and do a heat move on them. This will prevent them from regenation their health.

Don't forget the most important part - you gotta unlock those moves. The game teases you with them in chapter 1?2? and then takes them away and never tells you, so you'll be fighting the third boss for 10 straight minutes without them before realising that the game trolled you. So yeah, unlock the Kiwami moves asap. You should have just about enough XP to unlock them all before the second chapter boss, if your lucky.

Also worth mentioning, for the bits where bosses heal you can just use a weapon (either from inventory or picked up from nearby) and then perform a heat move with it to snap them out of healing, if for whatever reason you've not unlocked the moves yet.

He's hiding under a giant traffic cone. Check your text messages, you get a text message early suggesting that Majima is hiding and you gotta find him. He's almost certainly hiding under the giant traffic cone in Nakamichi Street (that's the one with Club Sega, Cafe Alps and Smile Burger).
Conversely, if you want Majima to go away and not bother you all game, just don't find him at this point.
Otherwise, if you still can't find him, check in the north east corner of the map by Purgatory. If he's smoking there, you can't fight him that chapter.

Oh, and for completionists out there, while you can't fail side stories, one of the trophy/achievement requirements is to get X number of weapons, and in order to do so you have to pick certain responses in side stories. I don't have a full list, but basically choose the most sensible/boring options (and not the funny ones) and you should most likely get the weapon reward. Also you can get some by placing high in stuff like Mahjong and Shogi. And if you want to make Kiryu super powered, do Komaki's trials - all of them. Tiger Drop = more powerful than Superman.

Oh, and absolutely fantastic OT Aurc, I love how you layed out the story. 9/10 (would be 10 but Majima is holding a bat and not a dagger ;) )

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I almost forgot this was out tomorrow.

Already preloaded and sorted, lets gooo

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to those of you who will try the highway chase scene on Legend difficulty (with a controller). It almost drove me mad.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Man I have forgotten about those, will edit my post and quote yours as well because this thing is a must to avoid frustartion.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing really like that in Kiwami. Its a remake of the original game on the PS2 and it wasn't really until Yakuza 4 came around that bigger side content started being a thing. That said, Kiwami does add in loads of side content not present in the original (mainstay mini games mainly, like Mahjong) but also introduces brand new story chains for both an arcade game called Mesuking (eh, I love the story but not a fan of the mini game) and more Pocket Circuit racing (yes, just as addictive as ever) so that's great news. Plus there are a few more side stories that tie 0 and Kiwami together which are great. However you also gotta keep in mind that most side stories are very simple, nothing involving chickens or cults here.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OP.

Loved 0, can't wait for this to come out.

The general consensus that I see from Era is that Kiwami isn't as good as 0 but if I still have some fun and the story is interesting I'll be happy.

It's a great game nevertheless. You are in for a treat ;)

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Great OP, Aurc!

Yakuza Kiwami may not be as good as Y0, but it's still a great game. It's still more Yakuza! And it has Majima popping up all over the place in some pretty funny ways. You can't go wrong with more Majima.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing really like that in Kiwami. Its a remake of the original game on the PS2 and it wasn't really until Yakuza 4 came around that bigger side content started being a thing. That said, Kiwami does add in loads of side content not present in the original (mainstay mini games mainly, like Mahjong) but also introduces brand new story chains for both an arcade game called Mesuking (eh, I love the story but not a fan of the mini game) and more Pocket Circuit racing (yes, just as addictive as ever) so that's great news. Plus there are a few more side stories that tie 0 and Kiwami together which are great. However you also gotta keep in mind that most side stories are very simple, nothing involving chickens or cults here.

Yeah I figured as much since no one talked about something like that in Kiwami but in a way it's a plus. The 2 big minigames in 0 meant that the game took twice as long to complete lol.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Oh shit, this comes out tomorrow, I completely forgot! I finished 6 very recently and am down to get back to starting over. I kinda mainlined through Zero, and I'm not sure if I should go back and re-explore that one before starting up Kiwami.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I figured as much since no one talked about something like that in Kiwami but in a way it's a plus. The 2 big minigames in 0 meant that the game took twice as long to complete lol.
Forgot to mention, the Majima Anywhere system is kinda the "big optional event" in this game. Basically just encountering Majima in tons and tons of crazy scenarios. Only issue is it can get a bit annoying/repetitive after a while, so that's why you really wanna get that Tiger Drop asap as it makes things way quicker in dealing with him.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, this comes out tomorrow, I completely forgot! I finished 6 very recently and am down to get back to starting over. I kinda mainlined through Zero, and I'm not sure if I should go back and re-explore that one before starting up Kiwami.
I would recommend doing some sub stories and the Cabaret Club minigame if possible (though the mini game is like crack so maybe it is best to play it after Kiwami).

Sub stories are usually short so if you just want to play Yakuza before diving into Kiwami then I recommend it.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously other than the 60 fps, the best aspect of playing the PC port of 0 was the fact that it didn't require going through 8 button presses and four different screens to save

Oct 25, 2017
Took a day off work just to play more of this. I haven't played Y1 since it came out back in 200...5? It'll be interesting to compare the game to Y0.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously other than the 60 fps, the best aspect of playing the PC port of 0 was the fact that it didn't require going through 8 button presses and four different screens to save
0 (and Kiwami) were always 60FPS games though (on PS4). The real treat will be when the newer games that only run at 30FPS hit the PC - between the refined graphical options and higher frame rates it'll be enough for me to finally get a new PC.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played the original back at release and loved it.

Finished Y0 a month or two ago so won't be jumping into this just yet but will get to it for sure.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Any Miracle Johnson shenanigans like in 0? Where if you pick the same box twice you get locked out of a unique item?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Any Miracle Johnson shenanigans like in 0? Where if you pick the same box twice you get locked out of a unique item?
I mentioned that above. Basically pick wrong options in side stories means you could miss out on unique weapons which can screw you out of 100% completion (as the completion list requires you get X number of weapons). While I don't have a full list, a good rule of thumb is picking the safest/most logical responses (aka most boring/least funny) to side stories. That usually nets you the weapons.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
0 (and Kiwami) were always 60FPS games though (on PS4). The real treat will be when the newer games that only run at 30FPS hit the PC - between the refined graphical options and higher frame rates it'll be enough for me to finally get a new PC.

Oh yeah I guess they were.

I essentially paid $11 for a fixed save system DLC. I have no regrets

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned that above. Basically pick wrong options in side stories means you could miss out on unique weapons which can screw you out of 100% completion (as the completion list requires you get X number of weapons). While I don't have a full list, a good rule of thumb is picking the safest/most logical responses (aka most boring/least funny) to side stories. That usually nets you the weapons.
Yeah, I don't care about 100%ing it, but the Encounter Finder was a useful item for making money.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between the feeling of guilt that will come from buying this because I can't afford to put a single cent towards non-essential stuff and the feeling of guilt from not supporting this incredible franchise.
I'll have to be reasonable though. Hopefully I'll be able to get it soon.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Preloading now. However abit bad release window in my opinion. Should have come early in January, but maybe it was not ready. Hopefully still it will sell good.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
Uh don't want to be the bearer of bad news but the audio seems messed up, opening cutscene has no audio. The tutorial battle has no sound effects(punching, grunts etc)

edit: nvm a quick restart fixed it apparently

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, also didn't have any audio during pre-rendered cutscenes and combat. A quick look at the steam forum showed it's a common problem that is fixed by just restarting the game. Weird bug, I hope it doesn't return.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Played it a bit. So far so good. Great performance.

By the way, it has a FOV slider. This is how it looks with maximum value:

834530_20190219165249anjrq.png

It also has SSAA, but it is kind of broken? Because I have it at x8 and it still works at between 60-90 FPS which is impossible for a internal resolution which is 8 times 1920x1080!!!

Tobe

Oct 25, 2017
we need more yakuza gifs!!! i do hope we get the remakes, really loved Zero and im dying to play this tonight.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Played it a bit. So far so good. Great performance.

By the way, it has a FOV slider. This is how it looks with maximum value:

834530_20190219165249anjrq.png

It also has SSAA, but it is kind of broken? Because I have it at x8 and it still works at between 60-90 FPS which is impossible for a internal resolution which is 8 times 1920x1080!!!

That's a lot of FoV lol.

Also <3 Steam's turbo fire controller support. Makes fighting in these games so much easier.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Nope, SSAA is not broken. Is just the performance is THAT good.

I mean, I know my graphics card is big (GTX 1070) but I didn't expect the performance to be THIS good.

Using 4K with Nvidia's DSR + using SSAA x4 inside the game and it was still working above 30 FPS! Holy shit.