• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Credit goes to Dojima's Dragon Girl, an amazing site that translates Japanese interviews and other content for the series. There's quite a few interesting tidbits that have come out from TGS on the wake of the new announcements. Some good, some... not quite so good. Its well worth reading the entire thing, but Ive noted the biggest points below:
Ryu ga Gotoku Round Up Special – Tokyo Game Show 2022

Lots of info to chew through, read at your own risk as there is spoilers for 7's story mentioned in the link. Choice parts of the interviews:

Kenzan Kiwami wont happen. It apparently has been deemed "impossible to remake". Which I think is a little harsh (I adore the game) and think the tone could be altered slightly with a couple of Haruka scenes to hammer home the levity of the scenario and actual Japanese history, but that's just me. But yeah, it wont happen, they said so much would be changed that it'd basically be a new game.

Ishin Kiwami has been in dev for over a year now.

RGGS speak very highly of the overseas fans and localisers. Seems that the series overseas support has swelled to around 70% of series sales? now. Which is insane. It was around 50:50 back when 0 and 6 were released, and its only gotten more and more (PC no doubt has been the main culprit here)

Gaiden is sort of a "what's Kiryu been up to" story which will also introduce those that started with 7 with his character in more detail. Once again they basically said they wont spend that much time with his backstory in 8.

Speaking of 8, they said while writing the game, they realised they needed to use Kiryu again. Hence his inclusion, and to flesh his backstory out, Gaiden was conceived.

8 brings back Namba, Saeko and Adachi, as expected. Yay!

While it was hinted in 7 and Lost Judgment, they outright confirm that the Judge and RGG series take place in the same universe. If they think there's need to have them cross over, they will. So... I really hope that happens at some point in the future.

Mainline RGG games will take around 4! years to make now. Which lines up, 7 was in 2020, 8 wont be here until 2024. Crazy we've gone from one a year to one every 4 years!

Ishin's story/content is getting trimmed (cut) slightly. Ive no clue what this might mean though, I dont recall anything particularly offensive in there.

HUGE news, as Oreo is now recast in Ishin Kiwami - now played by Yuki from 0/Kiwami 2. Huge upgrade, I cant stand her in Ishin, maybe the talented Yuki VA will make her a bit more likeable? Here's hoping.

They again reiterate that they are experimenting with engines but nothing's set in stone (its mentioned in another interview I've seen that 8 remains on the DE, for those wondering).

One OK Rocks main title song for Ishin is cut... yeah I aint happy about that. Hopefully the sound team in Ishin Kiwami dont fuck things up as bad as they did in Kiwami 2 (because that was one of the worst cuts that Kiwami 2 saw). Also makes mention that other parts of Ishin's soundtrack is changed. If that means the final boss theme gets changed, Im gonna be displeased.

Speaking of Ishin music, there's a mini game in it which is basically Karaoke (people sing, you press buttons in time to the music). There's several "new" songs getting added, which will be remixes of previous series songs. Bakamitai is already confirmed. There's also a brand new song getting added.

Notes on 8s story:
Its doing exactly what I expected going off 7's ending - they are looking into the after effects of the disillusion of the two biggest Yakuza groups in Japan. Not sure how LJs plot will play into it, but seeing as they confirmed they are part of the same universe, ideally they shouldnt discount that plot and instead at least make mention of it

There's is mention of Switch again. Apparently they were misquoted... but I still dont get the excuse given in the interview. Read it for yourself and let me know... still feels weird not putting at least the old games on Switch, they'd run fine (they are PS3 games ffs)

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the summery.

I guess Kenzan dream is dead. I hope the fan translation team finishes that so I can just play it on my CFW PS3 or maybe emulated.

Side note, anybody know if we can remove the card hud from the Ishin remake? They are really distracting and I hate how huge they are. Just like Lost Judgment adding the buttons on screen, I hate this.

Kiryu

Jun 23, 2022
they finally confirmed that judgment and lad are in the same universe. don't know how people thought otherwise when there's side stuff to back it up

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope you guys don't put your Yakuza games next to your Switch collection, ew.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Bet that Kenzan Kiwami might hinges on how Ishin Kiwami performs...

I don't believe this "impossible to remake" personally.

With/without Haruka's story segment changed/not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
They should just admit that they're really not happy about how Yakuza on Wii U was received and simply refuse to give it another shot on Nintendo platforms ever again. Claiming that Switch only as "bright daylight" games just comes off really tone deaf to the reality of the situation especially how ridiculously dominant the platform is in Japan.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Speaking of 8, they said while writing the game, they realised they needed to use Kiryu again. Hence his inclusion, and to flesh his backstory out, Gaiden was conceived.

no they didn't... oh well

Really hope now that saeko and adachi will play a real part in the story, in 7 they were an afterthought...

Also every job need to be accessible by any gender

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Actor face, and competition winner at that. So there was already next to no chance of her coming back. Namba's also actor face, but he's back (though to be fair, he's also a vastly more important friend to Ichiban, Im glad he's back)

Thanks for the summery.

I guess Kenzan dream is dead. I hope the fan translation team finishes that so I can just play it on my CFW PS3 or maybe emulated.

Side note, anybody know if we can remove the card hud from the Ishin remake? They are really distracting and I hate how huge they are. Just like Lost Judgment adding the buttons on screen, I hate this.
Sadly unless RGGS actually start putting in more (accessbility) options into their games, I wouldnt hold your breath. It is distracting but from other interviews they REALLY love that they've put the cards into main combat now, so they really wanna push them (and just as a guess, I reckon super OP paid MTX cards will come... because of course they will)

What's the matter with Kenzan exactly?
Interview mentions it - on the face of the issue, its Haruka's story. Basically in the time period that Kenzan takes place in, it was sadly not to uncommon for women to basically be sold into brothels (and well... you can see where this is going). Despite Haruka not actually... you know, she basically gives up her freedom to hire Musashi to find her killer. Its not handled the best way story wise, but I guess they are just flat out saying its impossible to re-write those points to the point they'd basically have to make a brand new game (its not a plot point that can be simply glossed over/changed, its core to the game).

Also they mention cutscenes, gameplay etc. would need extensive changes. Weird.... Kiwami 2 didnt do that when they (badly) remade it, so not sure the issue here.

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly unless RGGS actually start putting in more (accessbility) options into their games, I wouldnt hold your breath. It is distracting but from other interviews they REALLY love that they've put the cards into main combat now, so they really wanna push them (and just as a guess, I reckon super OP paid MTX cards will come... because of course they will)
True...

RGG can be really frustrating sometimes and things like this is why.

Maybe in 10 years they might start taking these things seriously :(

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God, now I can catch up lmaoo
That just means Yakuza 9 wont be coming soon. Nothing about more spin offs/Gaiden's! We are getting three games in two years, which is still pretty nuts (I cant wait, I'll be 100%ing all three!)

True...

RGG can be really frustrating sometimes and things like this is why.

Maybe in 10 years they might start taking these things seriously :(
Oh, dont worry. Give it 2 weeks and a PC patch will have fixed it! (which gives me another excuse to buy that version, that and Steamdeck support)

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, dont worry. Give it 2 weeks and a PC patch will have fixed it! (which gives me another excuse to buy that version, that and Steamdeck support)
lmao very true

One of the reasons I am very interested in PC is this series. The mods coming out for it are pretty much fixing all my issues with the games. Like 6 for example, which I enjoy, will be even better once they add all the styles in and rebalance the game a bit to fit with them.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The increased gap in mainline games remaining a consistent thing makes sense now that RGG are working on way more projects. Though there'll still naturally be Yakuza universe games inbetween.

Jul 24, 2018
Thanks for the summery.

I never did import it, guess I need to do that

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Phew, yeah, when they introduced this "Kiryu" guy for Y8 I was like "Who is he? What's his story?". Really glad they are finally explaining Kiryu's backstory.

Kidding obviously but thank you for writing all of this up, loads of great details and awesome to see Yuki in Ishin!

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Well we gotta remember that overseas also means chinese/korean language localizations having a huge audience for RGG. Kinda hard to believe that these languages were never in the games until Zero. It was purely Japanese before.

I don't think I read it as that Kenzan as "impossible" from several interviews, just way harder than Ishin to remake. And with 4 year gaps between main entries (not that new 6 and 7 were far apart too), there is plenty time of time for a good oppurtunity to arise (as they said themselfs). And Ishin will do very well I feel, which will help.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
4 years seems like a big jump from their past gen dev times. Or will they release judgment games in between. Hope they change up locales and maps a bit more if they're taking longer from now on.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Bet that Kenzan Kiwami might hinges on how Ishin Kiwami performs...

I don't believe this "impossible to remake" personally.

With/without Haruka's story segment changed/not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can't just remove Haruka and her segment from the game since it's the central plot device for the story. You'd have to change it significantly, which at that point is effectively making new content rather than just remaking the old game.

Personally I don't really mind because it's historically accurate but I completely understand why they'd not want to touch on that. It's the second time in the series that there's weird sexual connotations with Haruka and it honestly does come off like there's some writer in the team that keeps thinking about the character in that way, which is uncomfortable for everybody short of a weirdo.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Why do they have keep confirming LaD and Judgment take place in the same universe? LJ didn't even tease anything. They talk about a big 7 spoiler constantly and you even see Zhao for fucks sake.

I guess that is a good excuse to bringing Kiryu back. Ichiban and the gang don't really have much reason get deep into the details of a post Tojo/Omi world. It would be better to have Kiryu bridge that gap instead of having them get in the middle of it again.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
You can't just remove Haruka and her segment from the game since it's the central plot device for the story. You'd have to change it significantly, which at that point is effectively making new content rather than just remaking the old game.

Personally I don't really mind because it's historically accurate but I completely understand why they'd not want to touch on that. It's the second time in the series that there's weird sexual connotations with Haruka and it honestly does come off like there's some writer in the team that keeps thinking about the character in that way, which is uncomfortable for everybody short of a weirdo.
I mean the counterpoint to the "historically accurate" point that often comes up in situations like this is that the writers have full control over the story. They could have written it in any number of ways. They chose to make that the way Haruka got the money (though as far as I know, she isn't a prostitute but an assistant to the courtesans. So she "only" sold herself into indentured servitude).

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
I mean the counterpoint to the "historically accurate" point that often comes up in situations like this is that the writers have full control over the story. They could have written it in any number of ways. They chose to make that the way Haruka got the money (though as far as I know, she isn't a prostitute but an assistant to the courtesans. So she "only" sold herself into indentured servitude).

I personally don't mind it because it is historically accurate, but that doesn't mean I value it for being historically accurate. Historical accuracy means nothing to me by itself, but it is clear to me personally that that's what they were going for, rather than just using the setting as an excuse to be weird with Haruka, so whatever. I also wouldn't mind it being changed so it better fits the sensibilities of today's cultures. I'm just saying it's fairly neutral to me.

I don't think there's any evidence that Haruka held any prostitution services herself, but to be fair this is a part of history that Japan teachers often like to blur our. Although it was very common for children to be sold or offer themselves into indentured servitude as assistants to prostitutes, they would very often be requested by, or even outright offered to, high profile clients, specifically for sexual services.

If you think Japan's weird as shit with sexualizing children today (which to be fair is mostly a weeb niche that gets overexposure; most japanese people are ashamed of that stuff being associated with their culture, yadda yadda grumble grumble), the Edo period would blow you fucking mind with the kind of shit people would do to kids in broad daylight and in full public knowledge.

If anything, it's not historically accurate enough, but I don't think anybody here would argue they should make it more historically accurate in that sense. : p And I mean thank fuck for that.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Damn 1 game every 4 years now 😭
4 years for the big numbered titles, spin-offs like judgment or other combat oriented games seem like fair game. That's enough space for them to remake the psp games if they want to continue the combat line of games in other directions.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds there will still be spin-offs each year, or attempts, so I imagine more of these Gaidens, remakes and Judgement will still make it nearly an annual series
4 years for the big numbered titles, spin-offs like judgment or other combat oriented games seem like fair game. That's enough space for them to remake the psp games if they want to continue the combat line of games in other directions.
Ah, that's not too bad then

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yokoyama: In the answer that's been going around, I was translated as "reluctant", but that's not what I said. How I explained it has been properly reported before so you can just check that article. What it is, is that we're like "night" and "day". While we make dark, nighttime games, Nintendo Switch focuses on the bright, daylight places. And you don't put the family films on the same shelf as the yakuza movies in a video shop, do you? We each have our brand image and our place in the market, so let's not try to damage each other, or invade each other's space. I bet you end up cutting that from the interview too though (laughing). (Denfami)

Bruh. You're literally saying the same thing as last time. You weren't misquoted

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I read it as that Kenzan as "impossible" from several interviews, just way harder than Ishin to remake. And with 4 year gaps between main entries (not that new 6 and 7 were far apart too), there is plenty time of time for a good oppurtunity to arise (as they said themselfs). And Ishin will do very well I feel, which will help.
I dont know, this is pretty damning:
"Yokoyama: We'd have to completely remake it from scratch: the story, the length of the cutscenes, the battle system. Also because it's a PS3 game, it's impossible to match some things now … In fact, if we did remake it, we couldn't really call it Kenzan! Kiwami, it would be so different we would have to release it as a new game. (Dengeki)"

They basically said just how I phrased it - its impossible to remake Kenzan. If they did tackle it, it'd end up basically as a completely different game. So yeah, its basically not possible to release/remake/remaster Kenzan these days. A crying shame as its basically my favourite RGG game ever. People are missing out ;(

Damn 1 game every 4 years now 😭
One mainline numbered game. I dont see the problem. Look at the time between 6 and 7 - 2016 to 2020 (cant believe it was that long...), we had Hokuto Ga Gotoku, Kiwami 2, Judge Eyes and several remasters in that time. Between 7 and 8 (assuming the release year stays 2024) we'll have had Judge Eyes remaster, Lost Judgment (plus Kaito DLC), Ishin Kiwami, RGG Gaiden. I mean... that's pretty darn good all things considering... its basically a similar release schedule Capcom's working on with mainline Resident Evil games - spinoffs and remakes used to pad out that time between mainline entries. And if it makes 8 bigger and better (including improved combat, refined turn based mechanics, new arcade games, a huge new "Another Drama" mode etc. Im all for it!)

is there any word on if they're sticking with the JRPG gameplay of LAD?
That's been confirmed over and over. Yes, even Kiryu's gameplay in 8 is turn based. Only question is how much they've enhanced it between 7 and 8 (I expect big things, considering how much 2's gameplay was enhanced over 1 back in the day, and that was just with a years dev time, not 4, even something like 6 to Judge Eyes was only 2 years but went a long ways of fixing the combat issues, with LJ then basically perfecting things on a mechanical level)

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Kenzan has such an amazing guide with translated cutscenes/menus/dialogues etc., it's reaaaally easy to play. Played it 2 times and absolutely loved it.

docannon

Oct 28, 2017
This is my dream scenario tbh. These games shot to the top of my localization wishlist once I saw them described as the evolution of AKI's Def Jam fighting games. Fight for NY is still my favorite 3D brawling game—it's not even close—and a RGG game using it as its foundation sounds too good.

Probably won't happen 😭

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Interesting info. I am not annoyed about the 4 year gap if it means they aren't crunching to get all these games out so quick and make the end result more full of detail and fleshed out as a result of the longer wait. Plus, they've got a Gaiden series, potentially working on Virtua Fighter 6 (plus if they end up making a new Monkey Ball game) and Judgment series in between each mainline entry, more than likely.

RGG Studio are SEGA Japan's most efficient dev team nowadays.

Nice to see Horii is back as director of 8 again after how amazing 7 was. Wasn't aware if that was announced before or not. I did not have any doubt Saeko, Adachi and Namba would be back, I'm curious how many of the others are and how many new party members we are getting and who will comprise of Kiryu's party (Akiyama and Majima as party members?)

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
playing with a translation on the side seems like a pain to me... Still hoping for someone to mod the game, it's possible it's on ps3 afterall
Unfortunately the translation effort sorta stalled last I heard. Hopefully with this news it starts back up again, as it really is the last game that needs translating (well, Kurohyou 1 needs a more complete translation, but that's in the works)

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
playing with a translation on the side seems like a pain to me... Still hoping for someone to mod the game, it's possible it's on ps3 afterall

I thought as much, but in practice, FOR ME at least, it was pretty painless, had my laptop hooked up to TV, Kenzan playlist ready and come cutscenes/dialogue, I just switched HDMI1 to 2 on TV and hit play. 🤷‍♂️

They(?) even translated and recorded non-spoken lines so it was literally as simple as switching source on TV the whole time.