• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
EDIT: The credit has now been removed from their website, but this screencap remains:

67PWiFg.png

Possibly confirms that Yakuza: Like A Dragon will be dubbed in English, much like Judgment and Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise were. Possibly the return of the legendary Greg Chun?

Last edited:

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Judgement right now and for the most part the dub seems excellent. Making me really look forward to this new Yakuza, especially the new location and battle system

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I hope I enjoy Yakuza 7 to the point where I could play through it twice. I played Judgment with the English dub (which was excellent) but I didn't play through it with Japanese voices because the game was merely okay.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Judgment had a fantastic dub

Gonna be surreal if they give Kiryu an English voice again, though

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
They really gonna dub Kiryu?

That just feels wrong. Takaya Kuroda IS Kiryu.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I will be playing it subbed of course, but I dabbled a bit in the Judgment dub and it was well done so this is good news.

They really gonna dub Kiryu?

That just feels wrong. Takaya Kuroda IS Kiryu.
They can just dub everybody else, but keep Kiryu, Majima etc. subbed. It will be just like Tekken.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Judgment dub was amazing so looking forward to seeing how they cast the returning Yakuza characters.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is incredible news!!! Will probably give my wife some more motivation to play the series with me.

For context, this is a post I made in the thread about Yakuza last week:

Judgement is my first "Yakuza" game and also my GotY. I'm just now starting Zero, the only issue being it's something my wife wanted to play with me. My biggest issue is that Judgement spoiled us with English VO. The games being Japanese with subs doesn't bother me a bit, while my wife just can't get engaged with it. Wish they'd dubbed them, even with a terrible dub just so my wife will give it a chance.

Thankfully, she seems a bit more interested as time goes on, so we'll see.

(Yes, I understand that wanting an English dub in a Japanese game set in Japan with a strong Japanese theme is silly)

May 15, 2019
Really curious who will voice Kiryu in this dub. If he's in a minor role it would be cool if they got the Y1 actor back.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I honestly wonder if they'll even dub any of the returning characters or if those will only be in Japanese.

I'm all for this getting a dub so those who can't be bothered to play games with subtitles can give it a chance. The Judgment/FoTNS dubs are great, Y7 I won't play it dubbed though.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Aw shit, i was wondering if they'll do the dubs going forward. What's Mark Hamill going to cost us, who else does Joker when's he's not around?

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I really really hope this is leaning towards being the case. I failed and didn't get Judgment Day 1 (grabbed it for 30 during Black Friday), but I'd be there day 1 to support this trend going forward. Sub Only is something I've begrudgingly gotten to tolerate (Mainly with Ryza and the upcoming Tokyo Mirage), but I vastly prefer dubs and the change in battle system has me super interested in 7, since we don't get many AAA-tier Turnbased JRPGs anymore, the closest these days being Persona and Dragon Quest, both of which have elements I'm super against.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit here we go!

I LOVED the dub in the Judgment. This just gives me more excuse to replay the game again!

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I recently played through Judgment with the original Japanese audio, and it was great, but from what I tested of the English dub, that was fine as well. It's nice that people can have the option to use either one. Whatever gets more people to play the games.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Judgment right now and I think the dub is great. It will be my preference going forward since I can focus more on scene rather than on the subs themselves.

I really really hope this is leaning towards being the case. I failed and didn't get Judgment Day 1 (grabbed it for 30 during Black Friday), but I'd be there day 1 to support this trend going forward. Sub Only is something I've begrudgingly gotten to tolerate (Mainly with Ryza and the upcoming Tokyo Mirage), but I vastly prefer dubs and the change in battle system has me super interested in 7, since we don't get many AAA-tier Turnbased JRPGs anymore, the closest these days being Persona and Dragon Quest, both of which have elements I'm super against.
I honestly doubt we'll get dub for Atelier again, the last game probably sold a lot and not much different (even better probably but again new engine + thighs) than the last entry.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Judgment dub was phenomenal, maybe the best game dub I've played. I'd seriously consider playing Yakuza in English if it was that good.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is heresy, but I honestly think the English dub for Judgment is better than the Japanese VA.

I would legit be torn if Yakuza: Like a Dragon had a similarly high quality dub, as to what language to choose for my first playthrough.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was playing in Japanese but is there proper lip syncing in the dub?

I believe it depends on the type of cutscene. The more standard cutscenes time the lip-flaps to the audio cues, while the ones that are more motion-captured and cinematic aren't as synced up. They still do a pretty good job though.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is heresy, but I honestly think the English dub for Judgment is better than the Japanese VA.

I would legit be torn if Yakuza: Like a Dragon had a similarly high quality dub, as to what language to choose for my first playthrough.
It's fairly good, but I would've been more likely to give it a try for a full playthrough if not for the excess of swearing, and some embellishments in the dialogue. Best example of the former is the scene of Kaito roughing up the horseplayer detective at the beginning (compare the English and Japanese cutscenes), and an example of the latter would be
during the ending, when Genda is speaking to Hoshino and Saori about the fallout of the whole thing. In Japanese, he says "Heaven's net is wide, but its mesh is fine", which I feel is a better piece of dialogue than just a generic "the bad guys can't escape the law".

J75

Sep 29, 2018

Heresy my ass. Facts right here good sir.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was a huge fan of the English dub for judgment so let's go. I started Japanese and was afraid to switch but I never won't back since I can 100% pay attention to the cutscenes instead of the subtitles.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Aw shit, i was wondering if they'll do the dubs going forward. What's Mark Hamill going to cost us, who else does Joker when's he's not around?
Troy Baker (or whoever voiced Joker in Arkham Origins) did a great job with a Hamillesque impression, so if they wanted to pay out to get him, he'd be able to do a good job no doubt.

I'm Japanese dub with subs all the way (would feel wrong playing it any other way) but its cool to see them continue with the dubs after Judgment. Here's hoping it gets more people into the series.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's fairly good, but I would've been more likely to give it a try for a full playthrough if not for the excess of swearing, and some embellishments in the dialogue. Best example of the former is the scene of Kaito roughing up the horseplayer detective at the beginning (compare the English and Japanese cutscenes), and an example of the latter would be
during the ending, when Genda is speaking to Hoshino and Saori about the fallout of the whole thing. In Japanese, he says "Heaven's net is wide, but its mesh is fine", which I feel is a better piece of dialogue than just a generic "the bad guys can't escape the law".
Fair enough.

But I think they went for more easily understandable sentences and as someone with English as their second language, I appreciate that.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear, y'all English speakers are really crazy when it comes to dubs etc.

The english dub is cool, and serviceable. But it's nowhere near the quality of the Japanese one, come on now.

What's next ? Kuse from Yakuza 0 would be better with the voice of American Vegeta ?
stopitslime.png

(But i'm lowkey happy for y'all, if it means that you can enjoy the game. The real good news for me is that we'll probably have french subs)

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I swear, y'all English speakers are really crazy when it comes to dubs etc.

The english dub is cool, and serviceable. But it's nowhere near the quality of the Japanese one, come on now.
I've been playing Yakuza since 2005. And 90% of the times I pick Japanese voices when I get the chance (even for long JRPGs like Persona 4 and Persona 5) so I don't think I'm an English speaker haha

I watched both English and Japanese trailers for Judgment before release and decided to give the dub a go and I was blown away by how good it was. I vastly prefer Greg Chun's Yagami to Takuya Kimura's.

Obviously this is my opinion and not objective truth. That's just how I felt.