• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Babysamurai

Mar 25, 2019
Really dig the rpg tropes and imagery scaled to the "Yakuza" feel. As a fan from the first hour: I'm excited for this. Change is good

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yakuza-7.png

That's Virtua Fighter 2 & 5 right?

Yes.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, game still looks awesome, really liking the change up. The fact there's a job/class system is great & was that an Orbital Satellite strike as a summon lol

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think the gameplay is enough to convince people who are vehemently against turn based rpgs (yes a loooot of those people exist, and they're allowed to have their preferences), but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. There's a lot of potential for strategy and difficulty variety, and I'm liking that we'll be given movement freedom like a lot of modern rpgs. Gonna need to see how class levels(?) are incorporated in this game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the thing the game needs is timed dodges or blocks. Something to do when enemies are attacking.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ngl that looks quite slow.

Maybe it's because they are just using normal attacks for the most part.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it the "same combat system" if I'm not inputting combos and moves etc and just choosing from a menu....

Anyway, gameplay looks fun so far, i want some showfloor footage asap :)

Edit- just watching the combat live. Still seems a bit too slow, drawn out etc, plus lack of skill based/action based means no dodging attacks or blocking (?). I'm definitely more interested in giving it a go though, things like the guy getting hit by a car during combat look great.

You are right about it being slowed down.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The visual style is wonderful, the overall battle speed is pretty much exactly what I feared. It just looks like it takes too long to get through a normal streetfight. Having to just sit there and wait while an enemy runs over to hit you seems like it's going to get old really quickly, and what's it going to be like when you're seventy hours into the game and you've already seen every attack a thousand times?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It looks really fast to me. Actions go really smoothly and quickly into the next.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that just killed any chance I had of giving this game. I was in "Lets see how it looks in motion" mode, and that looked dreadfully slow, unfun, and unyakuza.

We live in a world where Final Fantasy has faster combat than Yakuza now...

Deleted member 59

It looks really fast to me. Actions go really smoothly and quickly into the next.

For a turn based rpg the system definitely looks smooth and decent paced. For a yakuza game though, pacing is turned down dramatically and scrub fights seem to take much much longer than they should do.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that just killed any chance I had of giving this game. I was in "Lets see how it looks in motion" mode, and that looked dreadfully slow, unfun, and unyakuza.

We live in a world where Final Fantasy has faster combat than Yakuza now...

I still ahd hope you know. eeven the old real time combat in the real Yakuza games coudl become bothersome and boring especially when goons pursue you eevrywhere to force repeated combats on you yet you could manage getting out of them. Now you not only are forced to stumble on combats you can't escape sicne it brings you in a special battle zone but also turn absed comabt makes thing even slower and the game gonna become much longer from watse.
They will realize hwo this not gonna work afetr reelase and fans won't liek it so they gonna add an update to bring normal combat back or at least redeem themselves in the sequels, they just can't get out with this.
For a change, this is not what i wanted. Not everyone can revamp a series and succeed like GOW.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
If the combat is already this slow fighting red shirt guys, boss fights will be in bullet time lol *shudder*

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever they can do to cut down on wait time, when you've input the command and you're just waiting for the animations to play out and enemies to counter attack, I hope they do it. M + L style timed button presses, skippable animations, straight up fast-forward hacks like the Final Fantasy remasters; something.

Your average Yakuza playthrough includes, what, like seven hundred thousand random fights in the street, give or take? If they're all going to take three times as long as usual because you're stuck watching animations play out it's going to be really hard to take.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
An personal issue I have, is that I hate how the camera zips around on who active, making it an bit nauseating for me.

Wonder if there will be different camera options.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe once you get further into the game you start unlocking more special attacks that hit multiple enemies at once, so you don't have to chip away at every individual life bar one by one.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
The combat looks fun. The status ailments, positioning & special attacks look interesting, I can't wait to see what strategies arise and unlockable skills there are.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fantastic in my eyes. I don't think the battles are slow. They seem normal paced to me and not any longer than the battles in the previous Yakuza games.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe once you get further into the game you start unlocking more special attacks that hit multiple enemies at once, so you don't have to chip away at every individual life bar one by one.

You know you want to find some excuses for this game to justify playing it. I really want to and I don't want to miss anotehr entry to the series, but don't get your hopes so high. They seem to not be in the right path and I hope they realize it soon enough before it's too late.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's kinda hard to gauge just how slow or fast-paced battles will be overall imo. On one hand, that gameplay could've moved a bit faster, but it could also be due to fighting enemies either on your same level or slightly higher. Also hard to tell just how many battles you'll get into during the game, obviously based on past Yakuza titles, we can expect quite a bit of combat but the change is combat system could've also prompted a change in just how many battle sequences you'll be getting into & if they'll have items to avoid random battles.

For people, who really aren't fans of turn-based RPGs or just liked the regular brawler Yakuza-style combat - I don't blame you for being mixed, disappointed or just a little miffed in the direction this new game is heading. Personally I'm still like what I see & think there's real potential for refinements if they pay attention to fan feedback. Ultimately it's still just refreshing to see something a little new & different.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
They already had AOE attacks. In the other gameplay they showed today one of the AOE attacks killed all except 1 enemy in 1 move. They was doing normal attacks to explain the fighting mechanics with the enviroment and stuff. If you use the abilities the encounters go down much faster.